PDA

View Full Version : Koscheck vs Johnson at UFC 106

Mr. IWS
10-28-2009, 08:55 AM
This is going to be a great fight. I could see either guy taking this one. If Kos can get it to the ground, he should grind it out. If Kos still thinks he is a striker, he will get KO'd.

Josh Koscheck and Anthony Johnson have verbally agreed to fight each other at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 in Las Vegas, Sherdog.com has learned from a source close to the bout.

Koscheck announced Tuesday on his Twitter account that he would be fighting Nov. 21 in Las Vegas in a co-main event fight.

“I got some big fight news for me,” he wrote. “I am fighting nov 21 in Vegas. Co main event!!! Haha it's on baby!!!!”

Following Brock Lesnar’s withdrawal from his title defense against Shane Carwin, the scheduled UFC 106 co-main event, Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin, became the main event. Reports surfaced later that the UFC was looking to bolster the card with a new co-main, and that now appears to be the case with Koscheck-Johnson.

Koscheck stopped Frank Trigg at UFC 103 in September to rebound from an upset loss to Paulo Thiago in February. Sherdog.com’s No. 5-ranked welterweight, he has 11 UFC wins and four losses. Johnson, 8-2, has won three straight in the Octagon. Most recently he stopped Yoshiyuki Yoshida on Oct. 24.

SPX
10-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Standing, the edge probably goes to AJ, but I would have to say that Kos's striking surprises me sometimes. He just shut Trigg down in a big way and did the same thing to Hazelett.

On the ground, I think it's a question mark. Kos has great wrestling, but I'm not sure I've ever seen Rumble not in control in a wrestling situation. Not to say that he's never been on his back, but he certainly doesn't stay there long and tends to be able to use his wrestling background and strength to do what he wants.

I figure this fight will open around Even and will probably stay there. Overall, I'd probably have to give a small edge to Kos due to experience, but this one could go either way. For betting, I'd do a small play on Kos at +150 or AJ at +175, but I doubt we'll see either of those.

zY|
10-28-2009, 11:12 AM
I think the standing could likely be a wash, they both have big power and don't offer much technically. People are so high on AJ's striking and I'm not really sure why. It took him 6 rounds to KO Kevin Burns of all people. I think if Kos uses his wrestling properly and gets good takedowns he should win out on the ground without too much trouble. SPX did you not see the Clementi fight where Rumble was controlled and subsequently choked out?

Exciting fight.

SPX
10-28-2009, 12:00 PM
You know zY, I am not sure if I saw the Clementi fight or not. If I did, I don't rememeber it. The first fight I remember seeing Rumble in was the one that ended with Tommy Speer not even knowing his name anymore.

I should go back and watch that fight. I'll try to find it tonight. I suppose my statement about always seeing Rumble in control on the ground should have an asterisk next to it because I am referring to his more recent fights.