PDA

View Full Version : Marquardt/Sonnen at UFC 110 in Australia

SPX
11-10-2009, 06:23 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/16799/report- ... tralia.mma (http://mmajunkie.com/news/16799/report-nate-marquardt-vs-chael-sonnen-targeted-for-ufc-110-in-australia.mma)

With the UFC's middleweight title picture and a planned Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort title fight on hold, arguably the division's No. 1 contender, Nate Marquardt, will apparently return to action in February.

According to sportsnet.ca, Marquardt (29-8-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC) meets Chael Sonnen (24-10-1 MMA, 3-3 UFC) at UFC 110, though bout agreement have not been signed.

Sources close to the event told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com)) the matchup was possible but didn't indicate an event date.

UFC 110 takes place Feb. 21 at Acer Arena in Sydney, Australia. The show, headlined by Wanderlei Silva vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama, marks the UFC's debut in Australia.

Since losing to Anderson Silva in his first title shot in 2007, Marquardt has posted a 4-1 record, though the mid-2008 loss to Thales Leites was a controversial split decision prompted by two questionable point deductions. The other victories have all come via stoppage over Jeremy Horn, Martin Kampmann, Wilson Gouveia and, most recently, Demian Maia via 21-second knockout.

The former King of Pancrase is now 10-2 over the past five years.

Sonnen, meanwhile, rejoined the UFC earlier this year following stints with the WEC and BodogFIGHT. Although just 1-2 in that first UFC run, he's now 2-1 with back-to-back decision victories following a submission loss to Demian Maia back in February. After topping Dan Miller and longtime contender Yushin Okami in his two most recent bouts, Sonnen also is inching closer to title contention.

A win over an established veteran such as Marquardt would certainly improve his standing.

The latest UFC 110 card now includes:

* Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Wanderlei Silva*
* Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen*
* Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Ben Rothwell*
* Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski*
* James Te Huna vs. TBA*

I think Marquardt's gonna fuck Sonnen in his ass and I'm hoping like hell we get a good line on this one. Considering Sonnen's two most recent performances we might just get something reasonable. Can I possibly hope for -200 or better on Nate?

Mr. IWS
11-10-2009, 06:36 PM
I will definatly be on Wandy and Ben on this card, and am seriously considering getting on Nate here too. My only fear is that Sonnen L n P the whole fight.

I would think Nate will be at least a 2-1 fave in this one.

SPX
11-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Shit happens so Sonnen could surprise us all, but I don't see it happening. Nate is basically the #1 contender right now, and even though it's MMAth, Nate beat Maia easily who beat Sonnen easily.

Also, I'm really on the fence for Wandy/Akiyama and Crocop/Rothwell.

zY|
11-10-2009, 07:41 PM
I saw a post by someone on another forum that had a Sonnen formula that I found to be pretty thoughtful.

A. Can opponent stop Sonnen's takedown? If yes, Sonnen loses. If not, then

B. Is opponent great at submissions from his back? If yes, Sonnen loses. If No to A and B, Sonnen wins.

While I expect Nate to come out and make another statement in this fight and possibly decapitate Sonnen standing, I'm not sure I'd sleep on Sonnen. His chances at controlling Nate should this go down to the ground are better than most are giving him.

cward81386
11-11-2009, 05:47 AM
what a crazy match up..... Nate is just on fire right now, has to be thinking he is unstoppable after his last two performances. Then you have Sonnen.. Sonnen lost me a good chunk of change on that last card... was thinking okami was a lock then right before my eyes for 14 mins and 54 secs okami got raped.. which makes me think okami was injuried or sonnen is a beast and just took all okami's thunder for the rightful #1 contender spot.

I gotta go with BIG Nate in this one.... Ive been wanting to see nate vs okami for awhile now and I thought if there was anyone okami wasnt going to man handle, it would be Mr. King of Pancrase himself. and if Sonnen can't take Nate down, i believe it will be a long night for Sonnen