PDA

View Full Version : Roy Nelson-Stefan Struve UFC Fight Night 21

Luke
01-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Jan 15, 2010 - Fighters Only Magazine with the heads up on the TUF 10 winner's next fight:

Dutch heavyweight Stefan Struve will be facing TUF10 season winner Roy ‘Big Country’ in his next fight, Fighters Only can reveal. The fight is set to take place at UFC Fight Night 21 in North Carolina and at least one of the fighters is understood to have returned a signed bout agreement.

Struve is close to seven feet tall and has been bulking up and growing into his body as he is only 21 years old. Since dropping his initial UFC fight to top contender Junior dos Santos, Stefan has gone on a three fight win streak that most recently saw him win a majority decision over Paul Buentello. With a lot of length, a very underrated chin, developing striking, and a very dangerous submission game he is one of the brightest heavyweight prospects on the MMA landscape.

Contrasting the youth of the Dutchman, Roy Nelson is 33 years old and finally was able to work his way onto the big stage of the UFC by winning season ten of The Ultimate fighter. At 6 feet tall, Nelson's rather large gut attributes for the majority of his 260+ pounds. But make no mistake, Nelson has learned to use that weight correctly in MMA and does not have a history of cardio issues. Nelson's win over Brendan Schaub at The Ultimate Finale was his first official win since May of '08 as he was coming off a KO loss to Andrei Arlovski and a somewhat controversial decision loss to Jeff Monson.

This is a display of very creative and interesting matchmaking by the UFC and should make for an entertaining bout that says a lot about where each man stacks up in the suddenly deep heavyweight division.

SPX
01-15-2010, 02:34 PM
War Struve

I hope he shuts that fat fuck down. Nelson ain't shit. Who's he beat?

Mr. IWS
01-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Who's he beat?

Kimbo.

zY|
01-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Wow, that's an interesting fight. I see SPX's bias creeping in again. Who has Struve beat?

SPX
01-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Wow, that's an interesting fight. I see SPX's bias creeping in again. Who has Struve beat?

Paul Buentello

zY|
01-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Worldbeater.

SPX
01-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Besides, I didn't say Struve would win. I just said that I hope he does. And War Him. And Nelson is a fat fuck who hasn't beaten anyone of note.

All these statements are true.

zY|
01-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Big Country by belly crucifix.

SPX
01-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Skyscraper by being tall as shit and lasting 54 seconds with JDS.

zY|
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Is it me or it just retarded that Struve is only 21 and has 22 fights already?

Luke
01-15-2010, 04:47 PM

got to pay the bills somehow

Luke
01-15-2010, 04:48 PM
War Struve

I hope he shuts that fat fuck down. Nelson ain't shit. Who's he beat?

Theres that fan talk again lol

zY|
01-15-2010, 04:57 PM

got to pay the bills somehow

I meant retarded in a good way. He's going to end up with a million fights.

SPX
01-15-2010, 04:58 PM

I never denied being a fan.

Unlike you, I have favorite fighters and I feel emotionally about them winning and losing.

zY|
01-15-2010, 05:11 PM
So anyways, how do you guys break this fight down, objectively?

Luke
01-15-2010, 07:40 PM

I never denied being a fan.

Unlike you, I have favorite fighters and I feel emotionally about them winning and losing.

trust me I'm plenty emotional when I have big money on a fighter.

SPX
01-15-2010, 08:32 PM

Ha ha, you and me both.

But sometimes I won't bet against a fighter I like because I want to be able to cheer for them 100%. I don't do that often, but occasionally I don't want my loyalties divided.

Mr. IWS
01-16-2010, 08:06 AM
I really think Roy wants to keep this fight standing, where he will have a power advantage. I know Roy is dam good on the ground, but Struve is just so long, and has a knack for subbing guys with those lanky legs. HOw can you really prepare for a 6'10" grappler?

I could see Roy getting inside and KO'ing Struve.

MMA_scientist
01-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Roy by whatever he wants.

Roy wins standing and on the ground. No way Struve subs him.

Roy is world class on the ground. He has submission grappling wins over Frank Mir and World Champ Jeff Monson. Zero chance Struve beats him on teh ground. He has a better chance outpointing him standing. I will be on Roy for this.

Side note to SPX: Roy is awesome, don't hate the buddha belly.

UKDonkbet
01-16-2010, 07:15 PM

Ha ha, you and me both.

But sometimes I won't bet against a fighter I like because I want to be able to cheer for them 100%. I don't do that often, but occasionally I don't want my loyalties divided.

JARDINE

UKDonkbet
01-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Roy by whatever he wants.

Roy wins standing and on the ground. No way Struve subs him.

Roy is world class on the ground. He has submission grappling wins over Frank Mir and World Champ Jeff Monson. Zero chance Struve beats him on teh ground. He has a better chance outpointing him standing. I will be on Roy for this.

Side note to SPX: Roy is awesome, don't hate the buddha belly.

I agree Struve's most likely path to victory is out-pointing Roy standing. If he can use his kicks wisely and keep Roy away with them, instead of Roy catching one and taking him down or taking him to the ground when Struve is on one foot, by the 3rd round he could have the stand up advantage with a cardio edge. I'd be surprised if either guy submits the other but I can Roy Roy out-grappling Struve. Struve took some big shots from Buentello so if he can keep it standing and get late into the fight Struve will have a chance. Interested to see the line

SPX
01-16-2010, 10:29 PM
JARDINE

You're right about that one.