PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Thoughts

Frank Benjamin
02-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I know that the Saints offense is terrific, but I also look at the teams they played. I am not taking anything away from that offense, but they were in a soft division. They will score on the Colts, but I think the Colts will stop a few times. The Colts are allowing an averaging of 216 yds threw the air this season, with many of the team having to pass to keep up with Peyton and the offense. I think this makes the Colt's defense a good match up to slightly slow down Drew Brees, who is averaging 266 yds on 33.7 attempts.

I know that the Colts aren't great running team; atleast that is what the stats say. But this is mainly because they have Peyton "Fucking" Manning. When you have a QB like this, you don't run much. The Colts only averaged 23.1 carries per game for 3.5 yard per rush. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts throwing in a little more runs in the beginning since the Saints are SO soft on the run and allowing 4.6 yards per carry. The Saints are known for using the run to set up the big play down field; the Colts have the ability to do the same thing. It's hard to imagine a balance Colt's offense, but they may have tobe exactly that in the beginning of the game to get the Saint's out of their defensive game plan.

Speaking of Saint's pass defense. They are averaging 240 ypg on 36.4 attempts with a completion percentage of 58.2%. If you work those numbers the Colts averaged on 38 attempts, they Saints are due to let up over 250 yds.

Finally, the stat that gets me the most is that the Saint's are allowing thier opponents to score an average of 21.3 points per game. This makes them the 20th rank scoring defense. Everyone saw what Manning did to the number 1 ranked scoring defense in the last game.

It's just too damn hard for me to go against Peyton and the Colts.

luckydog132
02-02-2010, 09:28 AM
I Think Saints cover and or win game outright...Colts beat Jets #1 D 17-0 in 2nd Half...but they played a Tired team that had a Rookie at QB who scares no one with his passing game , Yet...Saints will play much better on Offense as Colts D is not nearly as good as Vikings D.

Frank Benjamin
02-02-2010, 10:47 AM
It is true that statistically the Viking have a better defense. The Vikings rank 6th overall in total defense allowing an average of 305.5 ypg while the Colt's 18th ranked total defense allowed 339.2 ypg. However, when you break it down to pass and rush defense, you see that it was the run defense that helped the Vikings reach that mark allowing only 87.1 ypg, which was 2nd best in the NFL. The Vikings 19th ranked passing defense was actually ranked worst than the Colts 14th ranked defense.

I do respect your opinion, however it is my opinion that you are overlooking one huge thing...the Saint's defense. New Orleans is in the bottom of all categories: 26th passing defense, 21st rushing defense, 25th total defense and 20th scoring defense. With a defense like that, it is hard for me not to give the nod to Peyton Manning and the 2nd ranked passing defense. Hell, the Saint's gave up 30 points to the Redskins and allowed JAson Campbell to hang over 300 yards on them.

The Colts might have had the worst ranked rushing offense, but they also ran the ball less than everyone else in the league except for the Arizona Cardinals. That doesn't mean they can't run the ball, it means they chose stick with Mannings arm, and why wouldn't they.

They say defense wins championships. If you look at these 2 teams' defenses, the Colts' defense is actually the bettor defense - But they will take a hit with Freeny's injury.

The way I see it is that the Saints were lucky to get pass the Vikings because of all the turnovers, which was abnormal for them this season. The Colts should have their way with the Saints defense. I think Brees will also do some damage, but I think the Colts can stop them once or twice (the Vikings did). If the Colts don't turn the ball over, I think they cover the 5.5.

This is only my opinion and I am due to lose this post-season.

BOL Luckydog

Thewiseman
02-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Colts are my pick. Took them -4 against a buddy.

GoBlue
02-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Manning is in the zone. Just like Montana was. I hate the Colts, but I cannot see them losing. Manning will pick that defense apart

luckydog132
02-03-2010, 03:50 AM
Hate to say it, but I agree I see Colts winning also...just seams too easy...that Saints at Skins game I was all over skins +9 or so and if they make FG from 24 yds out Skins beat Saints by 10 or so and it never goes to OT. Saints D is Awefull...but I think Brees keeps it close till Late 3rd Qtr or Late 4th Qtr.....Maybe a play on saints 1st Half...not sure yet. I think weatherf/wet field, could be a factor in the over/under. Leaning to a med play on Colts -5 now and Colts on ML. Good Luck To All and I respect your Opinions...Lets get this one...I want to play Saints...BUT I think Colts is the Smart Play.... ::moneyeye::

Frank Benjamin
02-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I am not looking to change you, or anyone else's mind. I am just voicing my opinion.

BOL!!!

dillon24
02-03-2010, 05:50 PM
manning just doesnt lose. im not sure if he covers here but im leaning on the over. these teams score tds not fgs. i know everyones on the over but ill prob still hit it