PDA

View Full Version : WEC 47: Bowles VS Cruz

SPX
03-01-2010, 01:51 PM
http://www.bestfightodds.com/events/241.png

Should be some great fights on this one. A few thoughts:

Bowles VS Cruz

AWESOME matchup. Bowles is unbeaten and is one of the few BW fighters who has real knockout power. It's also obvious that he's physically strong and can handle himself no matter where the fight goes. Torres has pretty much dominated every fight he's been in in the WEC, but there wasn't really a single moment during his fight with Bowles that he was in control. Cruz, on the other hand, has only lost to Faber. He doesn't have Bowles KO power, but he sets a ferocious pace and pretty much overwhelmed Benavidez from start to finish in his last fight.

I sense an upset coming. I'd probably go ahead and take Bowles at -135 or better, but at good underdog odds I'm thinking Cruz might surprise us.

Torres VS Benavidez

I really think Torres is going to do the same thing to Benavidez that Cruz did. His pace is similar and he also has the same build, and I think that Cruz's height really gave Benavidez trouble in their fight. I expect Torres to either win a 30-27 UD or get a stoppage. I like Torres all the way up to -200 if not beyond.

Pulver VS Vasquez

I will be honest and go ahead and say that I have never seen Vasquez fight. I only know that he has lost his last two by SD. Pulver hasn't looked great in his last couple of fights, but goddamn it I want him to win this one and if he comes out at good odds then I'm sure I'll at least throw .5u on him just out of loyalty.

Still doing more research so I may have more thoughts on the rest of the card in a few days.

MMA_scientist
03-01-2010, 02:46 PM
You know my feelings on the WEC... but I am trying to be a little looser.

I am looking @ Courtney Buck vs. Fredson Paixao- Paixao to win

and Jorgensen should be a lock.

If the odds are right on either or both of those, I am going to make a play.

I agree that Cruz could win that, though I am not betting it.

Luke
03-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I have been looking at this card and theres no way imo Bowles will be -135 .I was thinking closer to -300 but maybe I'm crzy

SPX
03-01-2010, 03:05 PM
I have been looking at this card and theres no way imo Bowles will be -135 .I was thinking closer to -300 but maybe I'm crzy

Have you seen Cruz fight?

If Bowles is -300 then that should be Cruz around +220 and I would completely be all over Cruz at that price. I'll just say that I only hope you're right, Luke.

SPX
03-01-2010, 03:07 PM

Jorgensen fucked up my bet on Mizugaki last time around.

I'll have to look at these fights. The problem for me and the WEC is that a lot of times you can't find the fights so it's really difficult to do research.

Luke
03-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Have you seen Cruz fight?

If Bowles is -300 then that should be Cruz around +220 and I would completely be all over Cruz at that price. I'll just say that I only hope you're right, Luke.

i could be way off .I'll be the first to admit I dont know much about WEC and have mostly just watched videos on the fighters

MMA_scientist
03-01-2010, 03:31 PM

Jorgensen fucked up my bet on Mizugaki last time around.

I'll have to look at these fights. The problem for me and the WEC is that a lot of times you can't find the fights so it's really difficult to do research.

I expect Jorgenson to be a massive favorite- probably at least -350.

Buck is like Houston Alexander junior. Paixao is a bjj guy. It is possible for Buck to KO him in the opening minute, but if he does not do so, he will lose. I think the line will be closer, but still pretty steep. I will be on Paixao for anything under -200 for sure though.

SPX
03-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Odds up!

http://www.bestfightodds.com/events/241.png

SPX
03-02-2010, 10:53 PM
I went ahead and took Cruz for .75u @ +235.

Hesitant to pull the trigger on Torres at that price, even though I do think he will win.

Kind of hoping that Pulver will be pushed into underdog territory.

Thewiseman
03-03-2010, 12:25 AM
All my bookmaker money is on Anderson Silva. I have to wait for 5 dimes. At current odds, all I like is Vasquez and Roop, maybe Koch.

Luke
03-03-2010, 12:45 AM
I went ahead and took Cruz for .75u @ +235.

Hesitant to pull the trigger on Torres at that price, even though I do think he will win.

Kind of hoping that Pulver will be pushed into underdog territory.

Pulver is the dog now. Bowles opened at -310 so I guess I wasnt crazy

zY|
03-03-2010, 02:00 AM
I don't know who half of these guys are.

Luke
03-03-2010, 02:05 AM
I don't know who half of these guys are.

you and me both

Mr. IWS
03-03-2010, 08:37 AM
I usually do horrible betting the WEC, but Torres may be a play for me.

MMA_scientist
03-03-2010, 09:26 AM
I usually avoid these events as well, but I am trying to loosen up a little.

Pulled the trigger on Jorgenson @ -390 for 5u- I simply see no way for buck to win.

I am thinking about Cruz at those odds... Paixao came in a lot higher than I expected. I thought he would be like -230, so I am gonna wait there.

SPX
03-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Pulver is the dog now. Bowles opened at -310 so I guess I wasnt crazy

Indeed, sir. You were right. I like it. I immediately rushed to Bookmaker and by the time I hit the "submit" button Cruz had already dropped from +250 to +235. I still like that bet, though.

I see Pulver is now +120. If that line holds until I get home, then I'll take him for .5u. Pulver's my man.

If Torres stays at -270 then I'll jump on him, too. I think he wins this one probably 80% of the time, so that's a good price. I just don't think Benavidez is going to be able to deal with Torres' height/reach/experience/pace.

Thewiseman
03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Parlays for WEC
Lammas, Paixao, Castillo, Koch, Jorgensen, Bart, Davis, Vasquez, Torres and Bowles .03u to win 5.93u

Lammas, Paixao, Castillo, Jorgensen, Vasquez, Torres and Bowles .16u to win 1.76u

Bart, Davis, Vasquez, Torres, and Bowles .06u for 1.16u

Total risk for parlays is .26u.

Ipickdeeznuts2win
03-03-2010, 01:49 PM
I got 5U on Jorgensen

I am definitely considering and likely to bet on Bowles. Cruz hasn't finished ANY of his last 4 opponents in the WEC, and I highly doubt he is going to start with Bowles. Bowles has a chin of iron, fists of steel, strong wrestling, and strong subs. I just can't see Cruz fending him off for five rounds and winning the fight. Bowles has steamrolled top guys like Torres, Page, Ribeiro, Galvao, and Valencia finishing all of them and dominating. I keep reading about Cruz's reach and everything, but I am sure Torres had a pretty good reach on him as well

I won't even consider touching the Torres fight. For one, that is one of my biggest losses of all time before I learned about betting conservatively. Secondly, he barley beat Mizugaki, and Mizugaki seemed like top of the food chain after that performance only to get a controversial split win over Curran and lose to Scott J. Torres should be able to win but if he can't KO or sub Joseph, then Benavidez may win on points with TD's. Not to mention Torres had his lights turned off in that last fight and was knocked down fairly easily. Not to mention Benavidez has several different subs on his record so his sub defense should be decent, and Torres weakness in wrestling is Joseph's strength which should always be red flag went betting IMO.

I would like to stay conservative on this card because I will be dropping loads (haha) on the UFC on VS card.

SPX
03-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Holy shit!

Pulver at +145 on Bodog. I really hope that holds until I get home. I can't imagine it staying that high for long. He's a legend fighting a guy who's 0-2 in the WEC.

Ipickdeeznuts2win
03-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Holy shit!

Pulver at +145 on Bodog. I really hope that holds until I get home. I can't imagine it staying that high for long. He's a legend fighting a guy who's 0-2 in the WEC.

I wouldn't touch that line with the governments money! Vasquez may be 0-2 but both of those losses were to really good guys and by a split decision. So that means it was close enough that one judge thought he won. Pulver is a legend that I have much respect for, but the truth is he's fighting because he has to and not because his heart is in it. Pulver has lost his quickness, his confidence, and his chin. I don't think his power is necessarily gone which is why I won't be betting on it.

SPX
03-03-2010, 04:33 PM
I wouldn't touch that line with the governments money! Vasquez may be 0-2 but both of those losses were to really good guys and by a split decision. So that means it was close enough that one judge thought he won. Pulver is a legend that I have much respect for, but the truth is he's fighting because he has to and not because his heart is in it. Pulver has lost his quickness, his confidence, and his chin. I don't think his power is necessarily gone which is why I won't be betting on it.

Admittedly, sometimes I show my support for a fighter with my money. If I was thinking strictly in terms of +EV/-EV, I would just stay away from this one. As it stands, Jens gets half a unit.

As for Pulver "fighting because he has to and not because his heart is in it," I think that's halfway accurate. He's made it clear that he needs the money. But I also think he just likes to fight and he's a fighter at heart and he still has that competitive drive. Also, I think he wants to make a last stand and go out with a few wins on his record before retiring. A good comparison would be Liddell. He's just not ready to hang 'em up.

As for Pulver having lost his skills, remember that he destroyed Cub Swanson in something like 15 seconds in his WEC debut. Since then he's lost to Faber (a championship-caliber fighter), Garcia (this would a bad loss, should've never happened, and I got Jens in the rematch), and Grispi (13-1 and he might end up making serious waves in the division).

Jens Pulver 4 Life, Bitches

Ipickdeeznuts2win
03-03-2010, 04:38 PM

Admittedly, sometimes I show my support for a fighter with my money. If I was thinking strictly in terms of +EV/-EV, I would just stay away from this one. As it stands, Jens gets half a unit.

As for Pulver "fighting because he has to and not because his heart is in it," I think that's halfway accurate. He's made it clear that he needs the money. But I also think he just likes to fight and he's a fighter at heart and he still has that competitive drive. Also, I think he wants to make a last stand and go out with a few wins on his record before retiring. A good comparison would be Liddell. He's just not ready to hang 'em up.

As for Pulver having lost his skills, remember that he destroyed Cub Swanson in something like 15 seconds in his WEC debut. Since then he's lost to Faber (a championship-caliber fighter), Garcia (this would a bad loss, should've never happened, and I got Jens in the rematch), and Grispi (13-1 and he might end up making serious waves in the division).

Haha no doubt. I will definitely be pulling for Jens, I just won't wager on it. I was there when he announced he was going to retire after that loss to Grispi, and it was hard to see.

Mr. IWS
03-03-2010, 04:39 PM

::thumbdown::

SPX
03-03-2010, 04:47 PM
::thumbdown::

Excuse me?

SPX
03-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Haha no doubt. I will definitely be pulling for Jens, I just won't wager on it. I was there when he announced he was going to retire after that loss to Grispi, and it was hard to see.

It will be interesting to see what Jens decides to do after this weekend. Regardless of the outcome, he'll either keep marching forward or he'll retire obviously, but I could see him making either choice for all kinds of reasons.

Mr. IWS
03-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Just fuckin with you X.

I hope the guy does well, I always liked him.

Mr. IWS
03-03-2010, 04:51 PM
BJ did take a couple years off his life with that choke in the second fight though.

SPX
03-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Just dropped 3u on Torres and .5u on Pulver.

Ipickdeeznuts2win
03-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Final bets:
5U on Jorgensen
3.5U on Bowles

Mr. IWS
03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Final bets:
5U on Jorgensen
3.5U on Bowles

GL man.

::handshake::

Thewiseman
03-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Increased my unit size almost double. So now my YTD is +8.16u on MMA and +7.87u on NBA
Wec 47 bets:
Bowles 2.4u to win 1u (may bet more)
Vasquez 1.83u to win 1.2u
Koch 1u to win 1.76u
Bart P. 1u to win 1.82u
Roop .6u to win 1.83u

Mr. IWS
03-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Increased my unit size almost double. So now my YTD is +8.16u on MMA and +7.87u on NBA
Wec 47 bets:
Koch 1u to win 1.76u
Bart P. 1u to win 1.82u
Roop .6u to win 1.83u

GL on the picks.

Whats your record posting here?

Luke
03-05-2010, 07:56 PM
I just decided I wanted to go to the WEC event tomorrow and the Arnold Classic to meet Couture and the other MMA fighters there.

My GF "just remembered" to tell me we have a her 5 year old nephews birthday party to go to tomorrow at 5:30

fuck my life

SPX
03-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Damn, and that's super-fucked up! Tomorrow's event's in your town? I would totally be all over that. Arnold Classic, too. She would be going to the b-day party by herself.

triathlete
03-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I just decided I wanted to go to the WEC event tomorrow and the Arnold Classic to meet Couture and the other MMA fighters there.

My GF "just remembered" to tell me we have a her 5 year old nephews birthday party to go to tomorrow at 5:30

fuck my life

Wow. "just remembered" day before, 5 yo nephew.

Put the kids in one of those ball pens and let them fight... might be entertaining.

Luke
03-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Damn, and that's super-fucked up! Tomorrow's event's in your town? I would totally be all over that. Arnold Classic, too. She would be going to the b-day party by herself.

Could have got floor seats for 250 bucks for both and the Arnold Classic is like a block away .I'm about 45 minutes from Columbus .Its my own fault for waiting till today to decide to want to go .

I went to the Arnold Classic and few years ago and met Couture and Coleman there.I hung out with Scott Sheeley and Cung Le because they had fighters fighting there.

Luke
03-05-2010, 08:32 PM

fuck my life

Wow. "just remembered" day before, 5 yo nephew.

Put the kids in one of those ball pens and let them fight... might be entertaining.

She knew the whole time but she forgot to tell me until just now when I decided for us to do something. She just figured I had nothing planned for the weekend (like most weekends)

Thewiseman
03-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Wec 47 bets:
Koch 1u to win 1.76u
Bart P. 1u to win 1.82u
Roop .6u to win 1.83u

GL on the picks.

Whats your record posting here?
Not sure, but I think I started right before 109.

Luke
03-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Jens pushing +180 now

SPX
03-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Jens pushing +180 now

Obviously I jumped on him too soon. I thought that if the line moved it would move closer to even.

Thewiseman
03-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Added Benavidez .5u to win 1.5u

Thewiseman
03-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Added Chad George .5u to win 2u

Thewiseman
03-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Arbed out the Pulver and Vasquez fight. I break even with a Pulver win and make .3u if Vasquez wins.

thatchillguy
03-06-2010, 06:50 PM
4 man parlay

bowles/torress/jorgensen/garcia 1.5u to win 2.2u

poopoo333
03-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Looks like Garcia is down 2 rounds right now..

triathlete
03-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Split draw, eh? I suppose that's a tie for all things considered in betting...

SPX
03-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Split draw, eh? I suppose that's a tie for all things considered in betting...

I'll say this shit, if you can EVER call a draw right, then you can make a TON of cash from 5dimes. Carwin/Mir going to a draw, for instance, is +10000.

With that said, Garcia has looked like shit lately. The fight right after his loss to brown was sloppy as hell, then he loses to Gamburyan, and now drawing with Roop. (And he was at -500 on some books.)

I still can't believe he beat Pulver. I want Pulver to win tonight, and then those two can rematch.

SPX
03-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Speaking of the Pulver fight, is it seriously not going to be aired? Why the fuck is it so far down on the card?

triathlete
03-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Junkie has it the third from the end... I'd guess it'll be on TV. . .

SPX
03-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Junkie has it the third from the end... I'd guess it'll be on TV. . .

Sherdog has it fifth. . .

triathlete
03-06-2010, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't fret.... WEC.tv has it third as well. No way they don't put Pulver on TV.

Luke
03-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Speaking of the Pulver fight, is it seriously not going to be aired? Why the fuck is it so far down on the card?

i saw that it was being aired .Second to be aired if I remember correctly

SPX
03-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Anyone got links for this shit tonight?

SPX
03-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Looks like Jorgensen easily won his shit. Congrats Scientist.

Luke
03-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Anyone got links for this shit tonight?

http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-wec.html

SPX
03-06-2010, 10:01 PM

I keep trying that one but it's not working. . .

Luke
03-06-2010, 10:01 PM

I keep trying that one but it's not working. . .

Give it 5 minutes then I look for something else

Luke
03-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Working now

SPX
03-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Okay, sweet. Let's rock.

triathlete
03-06-2010, 10:03 PM
This is my favorite. Has all the fights, and my Minnesota Wild on it.

http://www.atdhe.net/

SPX
03-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Karen's probably gonna fuck this one up. I just realized he's the same who totally outclassed Razor Rob. I didn't pick up on that at first. I was getting him confused with someone else. If I had known, I'd have jumped on him.

triathlete
03-06-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm curious to see what Bonnar does as an announcer... I actually enjoy Mir as a WEC call guy.

SPX
03-06-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm curious to see what Bonnar does as an announcer... I actually enjoy Mir as a WEC call guy.

That's Bonnar announcing?

SPX
03-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Damn! Go Bartimus!

Looked like he was in for a long night, too!

Luke
03-06-2010, 10:19 PM

That's Bonnar announcing?

Yes thats bonnar and WTF happened Karen LOL

SPX
03-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Yes thats bonnar and WTF happened Karen LOL

Damn, I see they're officially working on transitioning him into other duties within Zuffa.

As for Karen, shit, well he was just punishing Bartimus but I guess experience wins in the end.

triathlete
03-06-2010, 10:24 PM
I think it's cuz Mir has a fight coming up and he's more interested in training for Lesnar, er... Carwin, than announcing WEC.

Ludo
03-06-2010, 10:25 PM
That and a sick ass armbar usually does the job:D

Luke
03-06-2010, 10:28 PM
What did you bet tonight SPX?

SPX
03-06-2010, 10:28 PM
I got Deividas here.

SPX
03-06-2010, 10:33 PM
These guys are some big ass 145 pounders.

Luke
03-06-2010, 10:34 PM
These guys are some big ass 145 pounders.

Who won that round I was letting the dogs out

triathlete
03-06-2010, 10:35 PM
They just look big. I was in an elevator with Faber at 108 and my wife (who is 5'6" and 110 pounds) towered over him.

Luke
03-06-2010, 10:36 PM
They just look big. I was in an elevator with Faber at 108 and my wife (who is 5'6" and 110 pounds) towered over him.

::lmao::

triathlete
03-06-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm mostly kidding but he was surprisingly small.

Luke
03-06-2010, 10:39 PM

At least he saves money by only having to purchase kids tickets everywhere he goes

SPX
03-06-2010, 10:40 PM

Yeah, but Faber is a small FW. These guys look Mike Brown-sized. I mean, are they big compared to Frank Mir? No. But they're for damn sure bigger than me, and they're big for fighters who fight in a "145 lb." division.

Luke
03-06-2010, 10:41 PM
I've gave both rounds to LC but they could both easily have went the other way

Ludo
03-06-2010, 10:41 PM

At least he saves money by only having to purchase kids tickets everywhere he goes

Yeah but baby gap charges outrageous prices for their clothes so it evens out.

Luke
03-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Yeah but baby gap charges outrageous prices for their clothes so it evens out.

::lmao::

triathlete
03-06-2010, 10:46 PM
What the hell are these two doing... damn.

SPX
03-06-2010, 10:46 PM
I must be the only small person on this forum.

Luke
03-06-2010, 10:47 PM
What the hell are these two doing... damn.

dancing

I had it 3-0 for LC but I think it will end up 2-1 for LC

SPX
03-06-2010, 10:47 PM
dancing

I had it 3-0 for LC but I think it will end up 2-1 for LC

I think it goes to LC, too.

Luke
03-06-2010, 10:48 PM

I think Zak is like 6'2" 250

how tall are you and how much you weigh?

I'm only 6"1' 185

triathlete
03-06-2010, 10:49 PM

I'm 5'8 155, so I'm not exactly huge.

SPX
03-06-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm 5'6", 140 lbs.

triathlete
03-06-2010, 10:52 PM

I'm 5'8 155, so I'm not exactly huge.

See, if I cut weight, I'd be in your division... hahaha.

Luke
03-06-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm 5'6", 140 lbs.

thats not bad

Ludo
03-06-2010, 10:53 PM
6'2 and 240

SPX
03-06-2010, 10:54 PM
See, if I cut weight, I'd be in your division... hahaha.

Yeah, but I'd probably cut to 125!

I actually was about 120 lbs all through high school and round 1 of college.

I'm hoping to get up to about 165 eventually.

Luke
03-06-2010, 10:56 PM
6'2 and 240

I was 230 when I played football then lost all of it and my muscles when I started kickboxing,I dropped clear to 160 .

SPX
03-06-2010, 10:57 PM
thats not bad

I'm shorter than average and get shit for it from time to time. Plus, I think that, even if they just do it subconsciously, people treat shorter/smaller people differently than bigger people, especially guys.

I'm thankful I'm not hobbit sized, though. There's a guy at work who's like 5'4". That's like . . . just unusually short. There are at least, relatively speaking, still a lot of guys who are around my height. I'm sure he has a hard life.

SPX
03-06-2010, 10:58 PM
I was 230 when I played football then lost all of it and my muscles when I started kickboxing,I dropped clear to 160 .

That's a lot of damn weight.

triathlete
03-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Pulver is 200 on Bodog... does that surprise anyone? I know he's fought horribly lately, but... is he just 'done', or are we looking at an utter underestimation?

Luke
03-06-2010, 10:59 PM
thats not bad

I'm shorter than average and get shit for it from time to time. Plus, I think that, even if they just do it subconsciously, shorter/smaller people get treated differently than bigger people, especially guys.

I'm thankful I'm not hobbit sized, though. There's a guy at work who's like 5'4". That's like . . . just unusually short. There are at least, relatively speaking, still a lot of guys who are around my height. I'm sure he has a hard life.

People just joke about it because its something to joke about .I've never actually met anyone that cared how tall someone was

Luke
03-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Pulver is 200 on Bodog... does that surprise anyone? I know he's fought horribly lately, but... is he just 'done', or are we looking at an utter underestimation?

We will see real soon .Personally I think he gets beat but what do I know?

SPX
03-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Shit, Pulver should be up next! GO PULVER!

FUCKING JENS PULVER!!!!!!!!!!

That whole documentary is leading up to this fight. . .

Luke
03-06-2010, 11:01 PM

That's a lot of damn weight.

160 was fight day weight I couldnt drop a single pound less than that if I tried . I usually walk around between 175-185

Luke
03-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Shit, Pulver should be up next! GO PULVER!

FUCKING JENS PULVER!!!!!!!!!!

That whole documentary is leading up to this fight. . .

Jens is next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPX
03-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Javier Vasquez is a fucking piece of shit! He deserves to lose! Wife-beating, child-molesting, raping and stealing motherfucker!

SPX
03-06-2010, 11:04 PM
That dude looks jacked as fuck. Yet another huge fucking featherweight.

triathlete
03-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Jens Pulver +1 for the shirt.

Luke
03-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Javier Vasquez is a fucking piece of shit! He deserves to lose! Wife-beating, child-molesting, raping and stealing motherfucker!

holy crap you sure hate him LOL

SPX
03-06-2010, 11:07 PM
God, I'm kinda nervous. . .

Luke
03-06-2010, 11:08 PM
God, I'm kinda nervous. . .

Just do what I do: pace back and forth and hold your breath each round ,unless you're yelling

triathlete
03-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Also, if you throw punches, Jens will throw harder..

Luke
03-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Also, if you throw punches, Jens will throw harder..

LOL I have done that

Luke
03-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Sorry SPX

SPX
03-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Terrible.

I think I'll commit suicide now.

SPX
03-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Honestly, I think these big motherfuckers are too strong for Pulver.

Honestly, after his last fight he should've dropped to 135. It's clear he was much smaller than that guy.

In fact, that should've been the whole angle of the documentary: Pulver goes to 135.

Luke
03-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Terrible.

I think I'll commit suicide now.

WHAT?

Sometimes its just time for a fighter to retire. No matter how hard they try the body is just unable to do what it once could

Ludo
03-06-2010, 11:18 PM
fuckin' Jens Pulver... As much as I like him as a fighter I will never bet on him again. This is TWO first round submission losses in his last 3 fights.

SPX
03-06-2010, 11:22 PM
WHAT?

Sometimes its just time for a fighter to retire. No matter how hard they try the body is just unable to do what it once could

It's just genuinely saddening. I just hate it for him. He's such a solid, nice, decent guy. And damn, the documentary can't even end on a high note? Fuck.

SPX
03-06-2010, 11:23 PM
fuckin' Jens Pulver... As much as I like him as a fighter I will never bet on him again. This is TWO first round submission losses in his last 3 fights.

He's old, man. What can you say. Don't fucking bet on him if you don't want to. But don't get pissed about it. I'm sure tonight's going to be a lot harder on him than you.

Luke
03-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Got SCOTT JORGENSEN in this one

Luke
03-06-2010, 11:27 PM
WHAT?

It's just genuinely saddening. I just hate it for him. He's such a solid, nice, decent guy. And damn, the documentary can't even end on a high note? Fuck.

Maybe they'll set him up with someone just to give him a chance for a win and to go off into the sunset with

SPX
03-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Gotta win this one.

Let's go Torres. I don't really like him, but my money does.

Luke
03-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Gotta win this one.

Let's go Torres. I don't really like him, but my money does.

Benavidez is almost 6 inches shorter than Cruz ::lmao:: hows he going to hit Torres?

SPX
03-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Benavidez is almost 6 inches shorter than Cruz ::lmao:: hows he going to hit Torres?

Dunno, but he seems to have done so.

Luke
03-06-2010, 11:50 PM
I gave him(Ben ) the first round

SPX
03-06-2010, 11:52 PM
I gave him(Ben ) the first round

Me too. Torres needs to realize he's not fighting 5 round fights anymore.

SPX
03-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Damn. Well that kills my night right there. I've straight gone cold. My last three events have all been losers.

Luke
03-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Well damn

Luke
03-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Can benny beat Bowles?

SPX
03-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Can benny beat Bowles?

Shit, I want to say no, but who knows!

Luke
03-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Damn. Well that kills my night right there. I've straight gone cold. My last three events have all been losers.

sorry man ::handshake::

When I go cold I start getting more selective in my plays.Sometimes it works

Luke
03-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Can benny beat Bowles?

Shit, I want to say no, but who knows!

Like I said I havent watched alot of WEC but I'll be watching the main event very close trying to figure that out

Ludo
03-07-2010, 12:03 AM
yeah total loss tonight. Bit of a mood killer, but hopefully UFC on Versus helps me out.

SPX
03-07-2010, 12:04 AM
My tarot cards say Cruz will win.

We'll see how that works out.

Luke
03-07-2010, 12:12 AM
I hope Cruz wins .I never understood why he was such a big dog .( I know I guessed the line would be -300) but thats not what I thought it should be just what I figured it would be.If that makes sense

SPX
03-07-2010, 12:12 AM
God, I feel like I should go load up on Cruz right now.

Luke
03-07-2010, 12:16 AM
God, I feel like I should go load up on Cruz right now.

Nah dont do that ,thats called chasing and only leads to bad things down the road

Ludo
03-07-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm not touching anything until UFC on Versus...Until then I'll lick my wounds.

Luke
03-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Cruz wins round one

SPX
03-07-2010, 12:29 AM
http://janetboyer.com/Gilded_Tarot_8.jpg

Luke
03-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Cruz wins round 2 also up 2-0

Luke
03-07-2010, 12:32 AM
http://janetboyer.com/Gilded_Tarot_8.jpg

I have zero idea what that means

SPX
03-07-2010, 12:33 AM
It's a tarot card. In fact, a tarot card from the deck I used.

And like that shit fucking said, Cruz fucking wins!

triathlete
03-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Wow... what a crazy night ..

triathlete
03-07-2010, 12:34 AM
These are the nights you win/lose a lot of money. . .

Luke
03-07-2010, 12:35 AM
WTF happened ? this shit ended at commerical?

SPX
Should've put more on Cruz.

Fuck.

Luke
It's a tarot card. In fact, a tarot card from the deck I used.

And like that shit fucking said, Cruz fucking wins!

I said Cruz would win too and I dont know shit about WEC ::lmao::

SPX
03-07-2010, 12:36 AM
WTF happened ? this shit ended at commerical?

Seems to be the case.

Ludo
03-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Yet again the top of the mountain in the Bantamweight division slips into obscurity

SPX
03-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Yet again the top of the mountain in the Bantamweight division slips into obscurity

I think Cruz might stay there for a minute.

SPX
03-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Fuck you, Miguel Torres!

Luke
03-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Should've put more on Cruz.

Fuck.

you bet Cruz?

Shit I would have bet him had I knew you did

Luke
03-07-2010, 12:41 AM

I think Cruz might stay there for a minute.

I want to see Benny against Bowles for next shot at Cruz.Or do you think the'll give Bowles a rematch?

SPX
03-07-2010, 12:43 AM
you bet Cruz?

I put .75u on Cruz.

Wish I have put 1000u on him.

-1.72 for the night.

Luke
03-07-2010, 12:48 AM
you bet Cruz?

I put .75u on Cruz.

Wish I have put 1000u on him.

-1.72 for the night.

Seriously I would have bet him too if I knew you were on him .I wanted to bet him but thought I was crazy or missing something thinking he had a chance

Luke
03-07-2010, 12:54 AM
I'm going to watch a movie now .Only 2 more weeks till we can watch that bum Vera get his ass beat

zY|
03-07-2010, 05:29 AM
I'm going to watch a movie now .Only 2 more weeks till we can watch that bum Vera get his ass beat

Vera gonna WHOOP SOME ASS

Luke
03-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Vera gonna WHOOP SOME ASS

::lmao:: Yeah sure

Luke
03-07-2010, 01:02 PM
10k bonuses from last night

Fight of the night honors went to Leonard Garcia and George Roop. The matchup was on the Preliminary portion of the card and both fighters gave everyone in attendance a show from start to finish.

Submission of the night honors went to Joseph Benavidez whom dominated former champion Miguel Torres. Benavidez countered a Torres scramble with a fight ending guillotine choke.

Knockout of the night honors went to Anthony Pettis whom rebounded from his only career loss by landing a highlight reel head kick knockout against Danny Castillo

Luke
03-07-2010, 07:21 PM
The cut on Miguel Torres' head

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/luke1899/miguel.jpg

triathlete
03-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Holy living hell.... is that his skull?!

Luke
03-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Holy living hell.... is that his skull?!

I dont know but i thought the samething

triathlete
03-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Had that fight kept going, that cut would have gone into his hairline! He's lucky he was submitted!

Thewiseman
03-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Lost .5. The Bowles fight hurt me. I knew to stay away from that line. I origanally was only gonna take Bowles at -200 or better and Cruz at +300. I figured this fight to be 70/30, and it was, only the 70% going to Cruz. I never put half units on fights, I wish I would have put a full unit on Benavidez and Roop, even though Roop was a draw, It was obviously a good bet. And i screwed up by arbing out Vasquez.

Luke
03-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Brain Bowles hand

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/luke1899/bowles-hand.jpg

MMA_scientist
03-08-2010, 09:14 AM
+1.28 for me
only had one bet out (Jorgenson)

Didnt get to see the fights.

Side note: Vera might not win, but I guarantee he won't get blown out either.

Ipickdeeznuts2win
03-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Well ended up -1.5U for the event

I got bet happy and bet on Bowles when I shouldn't have. Looking back now I broke one of my rules and should have never placed the bet. I have the rule of not betting on a fighter who is coming off an injury. In this case I should have realized and paid more attention to the fact that Bowles broke his hand pretty bad and has broke it several times already.

Luckily I put the big bet on Jorgensen and the smaller bet on Bowles.

I like Pulver alot but that was really how I imagined that fight going. Torres looked horrible and didn't land anything or do anything in that fight. I really can't even see him being a contender again. Maybe he can drop a little more weight and fight in flyweight when they finally bring that class to the WEC.

SPX
03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Maybe he can drop a little more weight and fight in flyweight when they finally bring that class to the WEC.

At his height, he's already quite thin at 135 lbs. If he dropped anymore weight he'd be at Holocaust survivor levels. If he was to go to another weight class, I'd actually rather see him bulk up a little and go to 145.

I never have liked him, though, and hate that his dumb ass cost me 3u this weekend. Little Benavidez surprised me. I didn't expect all that, especially after seeing him get worked by Cruz in their fight.

Ipickdeeznuts2win
03-08-2010, 01:27 PM
At his height, he's already quite thin at 135 lbs. If he dropped anymore weight he'd be at Holocaust survivor levels.

Haha ya pretty much. I can't see Torres beating Bowles, Cruz, or Benavidez. Crazy that he is now #4 on the totem pole when so recently he was a top P4P fighter.

I would love to see Cerrone drop down to 145 and fight Cruz! That would make for an awesome fight. Otherwise, Cruz is gonna hold that belt for a while.

SPX
03-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Haha ya pretty much. I can't see Torres beating Bowles, Cruz, or Benavidez. Crazy that he is now #4 on the totem pole when so recently he was a top P4P fighter.

I always suspected that Torres was only so dominant beause of the relatively weak level of competition in the bantamweight division. This was especially true after the Mizugaki fight. When Manny Tapia is a #1 contender then you know the division needs more talent. Now we're starting to see not just good fighters but truly great ones filling the ranks and so everything is changing.

I would love to see Cerrone drop down to 145 and fight Cruz! That would make for an awesome fight. Otherwise, Cruz is gonna hold that belt for a while.

Cruz's rise to power is very interesting for me because the first fight I ever saw him fight was when he got completely worked by Faber. The second fight I saw was him killing Benavidez. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention or perhaps it's because the WEC was keeping him on the undercard, but somehow I missed everything in between.

Mr. IWS
03-08-2010, 04:30 PM

Im pretty sure anyone logged onto the internet is around that size..... ::shake::

I wish I was that tall, im 5'10"

but thats for thinking of me as a big guy Luke. ::handshake::

Luke
03-08-2010, 04:45 PM

Im pretty sure anyone logged onto the internet is around that size..... ::shake::

::lmao:: I've never even see a picture of you before but just guessed you were built like a tight end. I guess it came from a while ago when Thriller said you were so mad about a game you hit your punching bag so hard you knocked it off the chain. That takes one hell of a punch and strength to do that so I just always figured you were built that way

Mr. IWS
03-08-2010, 04:48 PM

::lmao:: I've never even see a picture of you before but just guessed you were built like a tight end. I guess it came from a while ago when Thriller said you were so mad about a game you hit your punching bag so hard you knocked it off the chain. That takes one hell of a punch and strength to do that so I just always figured you were built that way

Im built like Casey Hampton on the Steelers. Thats what my boy always says. ::lmao::

Mr. IWS
03-08-2010, 04:49 PM
http://www.steelertribute.com/caseyhamptondrunk.jpg

Mr. IWS
03-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Luke, did you get my PM?

Luke
03-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Luke, did you get my PM?

Nope ,havent got one since Sat morning from you

Svino
03-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Brain Bowles hand

Question for the thread: at what point in the fight did you first notice Bowles' hand was injured? I was watching it with some guys who said right away that his hand was hurt. I wasn't so sure, since he seemed to still be throwing some heavy shots with it. Of course, they were right, and now I'm wondering what the specific signs were that I missed.

Luke
03-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Brain Bowles hand

Question for the thread: at what point in the fight did you first notice Bowles' hand was injured? I was watching it with some guys who said right away that his hand was hurt. I wasn't so sure, since he seemed to still be throwing some heavy shots with it. Of course, they were right, and now I'm wondering what the specific signs were that I missed.

Personally I never noticed Bowles hand was broke just like I never noticed Cruz's foot was broke which it is

SPX
03-08-2010, 11:51 PM
I heard Cruz broke his hand, too. . .

Luke
03-09-2010, 12:09 AM
I heard Cruz broke his hand, too. . .

Nope just the foot.This is from Josh Gross at sportsillustrated.com

Dominick Cruz did not break his right hand. It's severely swollen, but no break.
His left foot, however, was fractured

Luke
03-10-2010, 04:32 PM
WOW WEC 47 only drew 373,000 viewers and I thought it was a good card

SPX
03-10-2010, 04:41 PM
That's interesting, because I heard from someone else that it brought in just over 600,000. . .

Luke
03-10-2010, 04:53 PM
That's interesting, because I heard from someone else that it brought in just over 600,000. . .

600k was WEC 46 .These numbers are according to MMAjunkie and yahoo:

This past weekend's WEC 47 event on Versus scored a 0.46 household rating and 373,000 viewers, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com)) today confirmed.

The ratings were down sharply – 42 percent in all – compared to World Extreme Cagefighting's prior show, WEC 46 (640,000 viewers), which took place in January and benefited from proven draw Urijah Faber and a main-event title-unification bout between Benson Henderson and Jamie Varner.

WEC 45, which took place this past December, drew 330,000 viewers.

WEC 47 took place March 6 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, and featured a bantamweight title fight between ex-champ Brian Bowles and new title-holder Dominick Cruz. Joseph Benavidez beat former champ Miguel Torres in the co-headliner, and Jens Pulver likely fought for the final time with his submission loss to Javier Vazquez.

It was a solid night of fights to mark the WEC's Ohio debut, and the WEC 47 attendance (8,345) was the fifth-largest in WEC history.

SPX
03-10-2010, 04:55 PM
The Faber Effect proves itself once again. . .

Even Pulver, Torres, and the BW title on the line can't stand against it. . .

Luke
03-10-2010, 05:03 PM
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/luke1899/Urijah_Faber_Tim_Duncan.jpg

Mr. IWS
03-12-2010, 11:00 AM

When (not if) this thing Bombs on PPV in terms of Buys, I hope they just finally merge the WEC into the UFC.

If the UFC is only getting around 270,000 buys for their last 3 ppv's, I dont see how they even get 100,000 for this event at that price.

SPX
03-12-2010, 11:10 AM
The problem with merging is that there will be so many weight classes, but so little PPV time. A lot of good fights are already getting pushed onto the undercard because they only have a two hour block. If you add two more weight classes to the mix, then that just compounds the problem and fighters who are getting a lot of exposure now through the WEC probably wouldn't get nearly as much air time if they were in the UFC.

On the other hand, the UFC holds events more often so maybe it would even out.

Mr. IWS
03-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Put them little guys on the spike tv preshow. I wouldnt mind that at all.

Mr. IWS
03-12-2010, 11:20 AM
That spike preshow is bs anyway. They re-show the fights on the PPV anyway.

Why not have 2 hour spike show, 3 hour PPV? Thats 5 hours of fight time, live. They can get guys like Aldo, Faber, Brown, etc on there plenty IMO.

SPX
03-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Dude, fuck that! They are just as deserving of main card fights as any bigger fighter! Why the fuck would someone like Faber want to go from headlining a WEC card to fighting on the non-PPV-broadcast SPIKE show?

SPX
03-12-2010, 11:27 AM
3 hour PPV would be nice, but I don't think it will ever happen. I think that a lot of casual fans are ready to move onto something else after 2 hours.

Mr. IWS
03-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Dude, fuck that! They are just as deserving of main card fights as any bigger fighter! Why the fuck would someone like Faber want to go from headlining a WEC card to fighting on the non-PPV-broadcast SPIKE show?

I dont have a problem with that either.

If you look at the next PPV, I would much rather see Aldo / Faber than Saunders / Ellenberger in that position of the card.

SPX
03-12-2010, 11:32 AM
I dont have a problem with that either.

If you look at the next PPV, I would much rather see Aldo / Faber than Saunders / Ellenberger in that position of the card.

I honestly think Saunders/Ellenberger has the potential to be FOTN. They are both very exciting fighters and Ellenberger has the chance to show us if he can really be a contender. After a razor close decision to Condit and destruction of Pyle, I think he might climb quite high on the ladder, maybe even all the way to a title shot.

Mr. IWS
03-12-2010, 11:54 AM
I guess what Im trying to say. You got a good amount of fights that are 2nd, 3rd fight on the PPV, that I dont have as much interest in, as I would if it was a Aldo/Faber type fight.

Then you got fights with guys like Trigg/Kos, Baroni/Amir, etc. I love Baroni, but did we really need to see him gas out in 2 minutes again when he fought Sodallah? Shit like that can easily be replaced.

Same can be said for the fight night type events. You can showcase those guys on there as well.

Luke
03-12-2010, 01:52 PM

When (not if) this thing Bombs on PPV in terms of Buys, I hope they just finally merge the WEC into the UFC.

If the UFC is only getting around 270,000 buys for their last 3 ppv's, I dont see how they even get 100,000 for this event at that price.

100K?? I think they'll be lucky to get 50k .I mean UFC got 3.7 million viewers for the free 105 event but are only getting 300k in PPV ,thats 10% .10% of the 600k thats watched the highest rated WEC is only 60k so I think 50k is about right. When you cant even get 400k people to watch a free event I cant see more than 50k paying for the PPV

SPX
03-12-2010, 01:57 PM
100K?? I think they'll be lucky to get 50k .I mean UFC got 3.7 million viewers for the free 105 event but are only getting 300k in PPV ,thats 10% .10% of the 600k thats watched the highest rated WEC is only 60k so I think 50k is about right. When you cant even get 400k people to watch a free event I cant see more than 50k paying for the PPV

As a lot of other people have noted, the WEC's numbers are probably as low as they are because they're on Versus, a channel that not everyone has even if they have cable. (No one on DirecTV has it right now, for instance.)

I'd like to see how the WEC would do if they were on Spike.

With that said, I know very little about ratings and TV numbers and that sort of thing, but 300K sounds like a lot of people to me.

Luke
03-12-2010, 02:01 PM

I hope they merge the two. I mean theres still no reason an Aldo-Faber couldnt be a main event or co main event on a UFC PPV .I dont care what size fighters are .I mean come on the best boxing fights in the world are the guys (Manny,DLH,Cotto,Clottey,Mayweather ) that are the same size as the WEC guys .

I say extend the PPV time charge 5 more bucks for the PPV hell charge 10 more I never pay for it anyway and merge the two together

Luke
03-12-2010, 02:07 PM

As a lot of other people have noted, the WEC's numbers are probably as low as they are because they're on Versus, a channel that not everyone has even if they have cable. (No one on DirecTV has it right now, for instance.)

I'd like to see how the WEC would do if they were on Spike.

With that said, I know very little about ratings and TV numbers and that sort of thing, but 300K sounds like a lot of people to me.

300k isnt shit when the highest rated shows get 30 million every week .Lets put it this way Jimmy Fallon on the late show gets 2.5 million viewers a day 8 times what the WEC show got that was free and on at 10pm.300k is the poorest ratings I have ever heard of for any show thats still on the air

Mr. IWS
03-12-2010, 02:14 PM
These pay per views the UFC does are always close to 3 hours anyway. They usually throw on a couple undercard fights after the event , which is more time WEC guys can get.