PDA

View Full Version : Bellator 4/15

MMA_scientist
04-12-2010, 11:34 AM
No odds yet. These are free on Fox Sports, and they will be every week between now and mid June.

I am leaning toward Wilson Reis, Ben Askren and Jeff Curran.

Wilson Reis vs. Shad Lierley
Patricio Freire vs. William Romero
Ben Askren vs. Ryan Thomas
Pat Curran vs. Mike Ricci
Jeff Curran vs. Joe Doherty
Felice Herrig vs. Catia Vitoria

Mr. IWS
04-12-2010, 11:38 AM
From what Ive read of Askren, he is a machine. I will do a little research on him.

MMA_scientist
04-14-2010, 09:34 AM
http://www.bestfightodds.com/events/259.png (http://www.bestfightodds.com)

5u on Reis @ -315
5u on Jeff Curran @ -400
3u on Askren @ -280

I am nervous about Askren, because his opponent is good, and a major step up for him. but Thomas' base is wrestling too. He was an NAIA champ or something. That won't be anough to fend off Askren, who also is a legit purple belt in bjj, and competed in ADCC this year (but he got tapped).

poopoo333
04-14-2010, 10:02 AM
http://www.bestfightodds.com/events/259.png (http://www.bestfightodds.com)

5u on Reis @ -315
5u on Jeff Curran @ -400
3u on Askren @ -280

I am nervous about Askren, because his opponent is good, and a major step up for him. but Thomas' base is wrestling too. He was an NAIA champ or something. That won't be anough to fend off Askren, who also is a legit purple belt in bjj, and competed in ADCC this year (but he got tapped).

Being aggressive huh? I will probably follow your plays this week. I want to get my money back from 112. Plus I found FSN on my tv, it is the channel right after Versus, I would have never known.

Mr. IWS
04-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Ill be on Askren here.

MMA_scientist
04-14-2010, 10:11 AM
PP, I like these Bellator cards. Wilson Reis is a bjj bad ass... and he is big and strong and explosive. Lierly is a wrestler, which usually presents a takedown problem for BJJ guys... but that is a non issue with Reis. Think Jacare, only not quite as good. I also feel confident in Curran. He is a veteran, and sometimes he does not show up to fight. BUt he has been in there with the very best in the world in Faber, Aldo and Brown. Now he is fighting a guy with .500 record. Should be a walk in the park.

Zak, I am actually a little nervous about Askren. It is a bet on potential, because has not really fought anyone yet. Now he is fighting a former UFC guy. I think it is a favorable matchup though, stylistically. Thomas is not a spectacular striker. Askren should be able to survive on the feet and dominate on the mat.

Mr. IWS
04-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Im hoping Askren dry humps him for 3 rounds and gets us a win.

MMA_scientist
04-14-2010, 10:42 AM
^^ I think Askren's submission skills are coming along nicely. We never was a super dominant top heavy type wrestler. He was a scrambler... I think his style will transition really well to the submission game. I don't know if he can pull off the dry hump for a full 15 minutes. I am hoping for a sub.

Thewiseman
04-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Parlay
Reis
Askren
Curran
2u to win 2.25u

Parlay
Askren
Curran
Hendo
2u to win 2.08u
I agree with scientist comments on the fights, I am more nervous about Reis than Askren though.

MMA_scientist
04-14-2010, 03:21 PM
I agree with scientist comments on the fights, I am more nervous about Reis than Askren though.

I am too now. I went out and watched Reis fight Soto... Although Lierley is not as good a striker as Soto (or wrestler for that matter), he presents basically the same problem. Even though Reis did take Soto (a D1 AA) down several times, he could not keep him down for more than a couple seconds. Lierley could employ the same gameplan... though, I think Reis can strike with him, and may well win the striking exchanges too. But Lierley is more game than I recalled, I wish I bet less on that fight now.

poopoo333
04-15-2010, 09:44 AM
3u on Askren
3u on Reis

Ludo
04-15-2010, 07:07 PM
1u on Ryan Thomas to win 3.5u
2.3u on Mike Ricci to win 1u

Mr. IWS
04-15-2010, 07:14 PM
BS, this shit aint on in Philly.

Ludo
04-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Anyone want to text Me the results of the Curran/Ricci and Askren/Thomas fights?

zY|
04-15-2010, 08:12 PM
PM me your number and I'll do it if you like

zY|
04-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Sorry Ludo.

Curran just knocked Mike Ricci out fucking cold. One punch knockout and he's still asleep. First round.

zY|
04-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Round 1 of Reis/Lierley was awesome.

Both guys come out throwing sloppy bombs. Eventually Reis gets the takedown(slam). Then it's BJJ clinic time. Reis is badass. Some good escapes from Lierley though. Exciting round of ground fighting and scrambling. Reis' half guard sweeps were marvelous.

10-9 Reis

zY|
04-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Round 2

The pace has slowed. Lierley on his back getting his ass kicked by Reis.

10-9 Reis

zY|
04-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Round 3

Dominance from Reis, passing Lierley's guard like butter.

Wilson Reis wins via rear naked choke.

Luke
04-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Round 2

The pace has slowed. Lierley on his back getting his ass kicked by Reis.

10-9 Reis

where you watching this?

zY|
04-15-2010, 09:00 PM
FSN on TV.

zY|
04-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Askren vs Thomas

Wow. Ben Askren had some kind of modified guillotine choke on Thomas. He doesn't tap. The ref stops the fight. Thomas is awake and screaming. There is mayhem from Thomas' corner.

Worst stoppage ever.

Luke
04-15-2010, 09:15 PM
FSN on TV.

dont have that channel

zY|
04-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Curran/Ricci

http://i39.tinypic.com/zl2ddk.jpg

zY|
04-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Toby Imada armbars Krause in round 2, after a fairly lackluster fight.

poopoo333
04-15-2010, 09:47 PM
+1.84 units tonight, went 2-0.

Thewiseman
04-15-2010, 10:07 PM
What is going on with the Jeff Curran fight??

zY|
04-15-2010, 10:10 PM

No idea, I assume it's going on now but the show is over and they didn't air it.

poopoo333
04-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Jeff Curran lost. Pretty big upset.

zY|
04-15-2010, 10:49 PM

Looks like Jeff Curran lost a UD. Sorry man.

http://www.bellator.com/ViewArticle.dbm ... =204929516 (http://www.bellator.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23600&ATCLID=204929516)

SPX
04-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Wow, what's been going on with Curran?

He is supposed to be great, but he went 1-4 in the WEC and now he's lost to some dude who doesn't even have a page on Wikipedia.

Thewiseman
04-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Thats what i get for parlaying. 4u down the drain.

SPX
04-15-2010, 11:18 PM

Dude, I've always lost more money doing parlays that I ever won. You can do what you want of course, but straight betting is where it's at.

Thewiseman
04-15-2010, 11:23 PM

Dude, I've always lost more money doing parlays that I ever won. You can do what you want of course, but straight betting is where it's at.
i know, I just didnt want to risk that much on this card. At first I did Hendo, Askren and Curran for 2u. Then decided i wanted to make money tonight too and did Askren, Curran, and Reis. I would have lost just as much if i would have bet straight though.

Mr. IWS
04-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Askren vs Thomas

Wow. Ben Askren had some kind of modified guillotine choke on Thomas. He doesn't tap. The ref stops the fight. Thomas is awake and screaming. There is mayhem from Thomas' corner.

Worst stoppage ever.

::winna::

Thewiseman
04-16-2010, 09:22 AM
The reason behind the parlays for this card is I didnt want to have too much at risk, and if I would had bet straight I would have lost the same amount. I would have bet enough to win 2u on each fighter, So I would have been up 4u from Reis and Askren, then lost 8u on Curran. If a line is past -200, I bet enough to win 2u or I dont bet it. The exception is Boxing.

Mr. IWS
04-16-2010, 09:52 AM
I love how Askren got hit with that 2-piece early on and was like, fuck this shit, and started his double from 10 feet way..LOL

That was a pretty good fight up to the BS stoppage. Maybe because the ref looked like Mazzagati had something to do with it.

zY|
04-16-2010, 11:02 AM
^^i also especially like how he fell facefirst directly into that triangle. I was having flashbacks to the Joe Warren fight last week.

Mr. IWS
04-16-2010, 11:11 AM
^^i also especially like how he fell facefirst directly into that triangle. I was having flashbacks to the Joe Warren fight last week.

I didnt see the fight live, or I would have been shitting myself watching that.

Good job with the updates though, I was following on my phone laying in bed last night.

::handshake::

MMA_scientist
04-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Curran screwed me. How do yo lose to a 9-9 local show fighter?

Reis is awesome. I still haven't seen the Askren fight. I read that the stoppage was the worst ever. The ref was asking him for a sign, WHILE he was defending the choke. Someone needs to kill that ref. I am not going to let go of the defense to give you a thumbs up. He didn't even check to see if he was limp, wwe style. These mma refs are horrible.

Anyway I lost 2.64 units.

Still, Bellator is a cool promotion. I hope it really takes off.

SPX
04-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Yeah, not sure what's up with Curran. Ever since he went into the WEC, I hate to use the term but he seems to have been somewhat "exposed." I know he's got a lot of wins and is a good BJJ guy and has some sort of a boxing background, but I've never seen anything to be overly impressed by. In fact, I think he's lost every fight I've ever seen him in.

Anyway, sucks for your lost units. That's no good.

MMA_scientist
04-16-2010, 12:45 PM
I think Curran has too many fights, and has lost the edge. I have a theory that when you start get arounf 40 fights, you lose the adrenaline and urgency needed to win the fight. It happens all the time. The 40 fight guys (Hughes is a prime example, or Horn)... they either just fall into a win, or are just way better. But they don't out and get a win... just take it like they need it.

All of the best fighters in the world have under 30 fights. Most under 20 or even 15. I think Curran is being affected by that disorder.

SPX
04-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Do you think he won the Mizugaki fight? I know a lot of people thought so.

MMA_scientist
04-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Do you think he won the Mizugaki fight? I know a lot of people thought so.

I didn't see it. He had Faber in a lot of trouble in round 1.

zY|
04-16-2010, 01:19 PM
I think Curran has too many fights, and has lost the edge. I have a theory that when you start get arounf 40 fights, you lose the adrenaline and urgency needed to win the fight. It happens all the time. The 40 fight guys (Hughes is a prime example, or Horn)... they either just fall into a win, or are just way better. But they don't out and get a win... just take it like they need it.

All of the best fighters in the world have under 30 fights. Most under 20 or even 15. I think Curran is being affected by that disorder.

Meh. There's obviously some truth in fighters losing their edge, but your numbers seem completely arbitrary.

SPX
04-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Meh. There's obviously some truth in fighters losing their edge, but your numbers seem completely arbitrary.

Maybe he's using empirical evidence. . .

zY|
04-16-2010, 01:31 PM

Maybe he's using empirical evidence. . .

I weighed that against the billion exceptions and unmeasurable variables that instantly popped into my head. But thanks for playing.

Mr. IWS
04-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Someone get Svino in here to sort this out please.....

SPX
04-16-2010, 01:33 PM
I weighed that against the billion exceptions and unmeasurable variables that instantly popped into my head. But thanks for playing.

Well people talk about fighters being "shot" all the time. Why? Because they've just been in too many wars.

MMA_scientist
04-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Well, that is why it is a THEORY...

but the only fighter approaching 40 fights in any weighclass in the top 10, is Big Nog. So out of 50 fighters, only one is close to 40 fights, and he is obvioulsy slipping.

Yet there are a bunch of guys that have recently fallen out of the top 10... Stevenson (43 fights), Gomi (37 fights)Hughes (51 fights), Wanderlei (44 fights), Babalu (41 fights), Rothwell (37 fights), Pulver. I just looked at the Sd rankings and the guys at the bottom that also recieved votes and are on the way down (not up). In every single weight class the guys that have recenly left the top 10 have about 40 fights. The exceptions are Couture and Franklin.

Its not scientific, it is antecdotal... but it is my theory and I stand by it. 40 is the magic number.

Mr. IWS
04-16-2010, 02:59 PM
but it is my theory and I stand by it. 40 is the magic number.

I tend to agree. similar to NFL running backs hitting the wall at 30.

zY|
04-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Well, that is why it is a THEORY...

but the only fighter approaching 40 fights in any weighclass in the top 10, is Big Nog. So out of 50 fighters, only one is close to 40 fights, and he is obvioulsy slipping.

Yet there are a bunch of guys that have recently fallen out of the top 10... Stevenson (43 fights), Gomi (37 fights)Hughes (51 fights), Wanderlei (44 fights), Babalu (41 fights), Rothwell (37 fights), Pulver. I just looked at the Sd rankings and the guys at the bottom that also recieved votes and are on the way down (not up). In every single weight class the guys that have recenly left the top 10 have about 40 fights. The exceptions are Couture and Franklin.

Its not scientific, it is antecdotal... but it is my theory and I stand by it. 40 is the magic number.

Fine.

I admit to just being a dick to SPX.

Luke
04-16-2010, 04:40 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ::lmao:: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Svino
04-16-2010, 06:50 PM
I really wish I understood what causes the decline in fighters better. How much of it is being battered from fights? How much is due to physical age? It could be a lot of it is "mental age" as well, just losing the drive to train as hard as they need to to stay on top. How can Travis Fulton and Jeremy Horn still hang in there? I'm not always that quick to buy into the storyline of the 'declining' fighter, especially if they are under 37 or so and it is plausible that they are just fighting better opposition. The sport is young enough and still expanding, so I think a lot can be due to an improving pool of new fighters.

Aging-wise, it will be interesting to see what happens to the Nog brothers. Identical twin studies FTW.

Luke
04-16-2010, 08:36 PM
I'd say its the wear and tear on your body.I dont think anyone would lose the drive to win and train but when your back,shoulders,and knees ache you cant train like you use to be able to.Also when you get older your more trying to win the fight without getting hurt than anything else imo

SPX
04-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Also when you get older your more trying to win the fight without getting hurt than anything else imo

This makes a lot of sense.