PDA

View Full Version : PRIDE

SPX
05-10-2010, 09:42 PM
As some of you here may know, I was not really a big MMA fan when PRIDE was going on. Most of what I have seen have been highlights and the odd fight here and there.

But I do have that big ass 70 GB torrent collection downloaded, so I'm trying to figure out where to start. Any of you guys have a specific event that I should check out?

Ludo
05-10-2010, 10:21 PM
My favorite was Pride 13 to start. Wanderlei, Hendo, Vitor Belfort, Mark Coleman, Guy Mezger, Renzo, Heath Herring, Igor, Allan Goes, and Sakuraba.

Luke
05-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I cant remember every event number or year of the great ones but off the top of my head:

Shockwave 2004,2005
Final Conflict 2003
Pride 33

There were so many other good ones though I just cant remember the events names.

SPX
05-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks both of you, that's at least enough to get me started.

SPX
05-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Okay, watching Pride 13 right now.

There's some samurai dude in the ring with a bunch of mist.

Kind of wishing I hadn't missed out on this whole Pride thing back in the day.

SPX
05-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Everyone in this motherfucker looks roided out. . .

zY|
05-10-2010, 11:39 PM
I personally love the grand prixs, especially the MW tourneys of 03 and 05.

Total Elimination 2003 - has Chuck smashing Overeem, Rampage/Bustamante, Wand/Saku 3. Also Fedor/Goodridge, Nogueira/Ricco, and Cro Cop/Igor(one of the greatest knockouts of all time)

Final Conflict 2003 - Chuck/Rampage 1, Wand/Yoshida, Wand/Rampage 1, Henderson/Bustamante, and Cro Cop/Nogueira.

Then the 2005 tourney aka the rise of the Shogun

Total Elimination 2005 - Vitor/Overeem, Henderson/Lil Nog, Shogun/Rampage

Critical Countdown 2005 - Overeem/Igor, Arona/Sakuraba(one of the worst beatdowns ever), and of course Shogun/Lil Nog

Final Conflict 2005 - Arona beats Wanderlei, then Shogun annihilates Overeem and Arona in the same night to win the GP. Oh and a side note, the biggest MMA fight ever is also on the card, Fedor vs Cro Cop.

PRIDE rules. There's tons of other good ones. I didn't see any of it live either but I've watched quite a bit of it.

IIRC, that 75gb torrent doesn't even include the Bushido series, does it?

SPX
05-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the info zY. That's a lot of good shit right there.

SPX
05-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Just watched Hendo/Renzo.

Renzo got knocked clean the fuck out and I'm not even sure how.

zY|
05-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Doesn't he eat a knee?

SPX
05-10-2010, 11:47 PM
They're saying it was an uppercut. It's kind of hard to tell. Looks like Renzo shoots and just goes straight narcoleptic.

SPX
05-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Damn, Coleman looks young and not close to death.

zY|
05-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Speaking of Coleman, you need to watch the first Shogun fight and the shitstorm that ensues inside the ring when Chute Boxe jumps him.

SPX
05-10-2010, 11:55 PM
I've seen that actually, on YouTube.

zY|
05-10-2010, 11:57 PM
Or when he wins the 2000 grand prix and jumps into the ropes and falls on his ass. Or when he freaks out after losing to Fedor the first time, or when he loses to Fedor the second time and his daughters come up and start bawling. There are so many great Coleman moments.

SPX
05-11-2010, 12:00 AM
I just saw Coleman knee Allan Goes into unconsciousness . . . and then saw Goes come back to life zombie style and grab Coleman's leg and Coleman didn't know what the fuck to do.

zY|
05-11-2010, 12:07 AM
I just saw Coleman knee Allan Goes into unconsciousness . . . and then saw Goes come back to life zombie style and grab Coleman's leg and Coleman didn't know what the fuck to do.

Haha. Oh yeah also PRIDE 5 or something when he works the fight with Takada.

SPX
05-11-2010, 12:10 AM
I was actually just reading about that on Wikipedia. Does it look worked?

zY|
05-11-2010, 12:13 AM

It's pretty questionable. Coleman is doing the weakest GNP ever from what I remember. Then he gets 'submitted' and he taps out in this ridiculously overdramatic fashion. Bas and Quadros are all like 'wtf is going on here?'.

SPX
05-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Interesting. It says on Wiki that Coleman confirmed he threw the fight. I assume it's true, but there's always that nagging doubt that says he just "confirmed" the shit because he lost.

zY|
05-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Interesting. It says on Wiki that Coleman confirmed he threw the fight. I assume it's true, but there's always that nagging doubt that says he just "confirmed" the shit because he lost.

Well supposedly, all of Takada's 'wins' were works. It was confirmed in his book or something I believe.

Luke
05-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Damn, Coleman looks young and not close to death.

Coleman use to have the best takedown in MMA imo .He was fast and great at it .Too bad his submission defense wast that good.

The Coleman you see now is 46 and just a shell of that guy from PRIDE.He was still decent until around 2005 imo

Luke
05-11-2010, 12:27 AM

It's pretty questionable. Coleman is doing the weakest GNP ever from what I remember. Then he gets 'submitted' and he taps out in this ridiculously overdramatic fashion. Bas and Quadros are all like 'wtf is going on here?'.

never knew this I'll have to watch it

SPX
05-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Well supposedly, all of Takada's 'wins' were works. It was confirmed in his book or something I believe.

I see that he has two of them.

And a draw against Crocop.

SPX
05-11-2010, 12:30 AM
The Coleman you see now is 46 and just a shell of that guy from PRIDE.He was still decent until around 2005 imo

Most of my exposure to Coleman has come through: YouTube vids and highlights, the documentaries The Smashing Machine and PRIDE Decade (I think he's in that shit), reading random shit around the Internet, and his UFC fights.

Luke
05-11-2010, 12:33 AM

Most of my exposure to Coleman has come through: YouTube vids and highlights, the documentaries The Smashing Machine and PRIDE Decade (I think he's in that shit), reading random shit around the Internet, and his UFC fights.

Of course another bad thing I remember about a prime Coleman was he use to block leg kicks with his thigh.Kind of like Kimbo does

Luke
05-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Damn you SPX you got me wanting to watch all these old PRIDE fights again. I aint got time for this I'm busy this week.

SPX
05-11-2010, 12:39 AM
Damn you SPX you got me wanting to watch all these old PRIDE fights again. I aint got time for this I'm busy this week.

LOL

Well you need to get your priorities straight. Obviously MMA comes first.

Luke
05-11-2010, 12:43 AM

LOL

Well you need to get your priorities straight. Obviously MMA comes first.

No old MMA watching this week ,I got a ton to do before I leave