PDA

View Full Version : Man dies in U.S. from injuries sustained in a MMA fight

Luke
06-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Michael Kirkham, 30, has become the second man known to have died in the United States from injuries sustained in a mixed martial arts fight.

Kirkham, a lightweight who was nicknamed "Tree" because he stood 6-feet-9 and weighed 155 pounds, was making his pro debut Saturday night in Aiken, S.C., after a handful of amateur fights. He was knocked out in the first round and did not regain consciousness before passing away Monday morning.

South Carolina is relatively new to MMA, sanctioning the sport in May 2009.

As of March, MMA was regulated in all but six states, including two with no athletic commissions. Some states hold unregulated bouts, but major promoters such as the UFC, Strikeforce and Bellator refuse to promote fights without a sanctioning body in place. Sanctioning efforts in New York remain in limbo.

As regulation has quickly grown over the past few years, so has the number of MMA fights. Sherdog.com's calendar listed 16 fight cards from Thursday to Sunday, and that listing is incomplete -- the card on which Kirkham was fighting is not listed.

The sport's proponents have long argued that it is safer than boxing. MMA fights are immediately stopped if a fighter cannot intelligently defend himself after being knocked down, while boxers are given time to recover and may face further punishment. Also, MMA bouts include a greater variety of techniques, including grappling holds, that can bring a fight to a finish without seriously injuring an opponent. The American Medical Association opposes both boxing and MMA.

Well this wont help with getting sanctioned in new places.You know how people spaz out at everything

zY|
06-29-2010, 12:50 AM
I saw a video of one of his fights.

6'9" at 155 is ridiculous.

Svino
06-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah, that's really sad.

Also: Holy crap, a 6'9" lightweight!?

SPX
06-29-2010, 10:53 AM
6'9" at 155 is ridiculous.

Completely ridiculous. I mean, not even healthy. What sort of shape was his body in at that weight? Fighting shape?

I mean, Corey Hill is 6'4" and 155 and he snapped like a twig in his last fight.

Ludo
06-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Apparently the only medical examination he went through before the fight was a simple eye exam. Whoever the promotion was that allowed him to compete without being cleared medically should be brought up before the state athletic comission. That said, this probably has more to do with the fact that the guy stretched himself so thin to cut to 155 than it does anything else. He was unfit to compete that much is certain but part of this lies on him as well. He should have gone to get checked on his own even if no one was checking in on it.

I don't think this will hurt the sport persay. This is an isolated incident clearly involving circumstances that would fit the description of "out of the ordinary". Anyone who does some research will know that.

Actually Corey Hill has fought since breaking his leg, and he won.

SPX
06-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Actually Corey Hill has fought since breaking his leg, and he won.

Well I'll be damned. Apparently he's actually fought TWICE. Won one, lost one. I had no idea he got cut from the UFC. I figured he'd be back as soon as he healed up.