PDA

View Full Version : Shields released by Strikeforce

Mr. IWS
07-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Holy fuckin shit balls, Im so suprised!

Strikeforce released its middleweight champion, Jake Shields, from his contract with the organization on Wednesday, according to an industry source with direct knowledge of the negotiations.

The 31-year-old Shields had been in a final-phase “matching period” of his recently completed contract with the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion, which allowed him to receive bids from other organizations, including the UFC, that Strikeforce could review and match in order to keep his services. However, the source said Strikeforce waived that contractual right in its final 2-3 weeks and opted to release the Cesar Gracie fighter altogether before the period expired.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker confirmed to Sherdog.com that the promotion informed Jack Shields, the fighter’s manager and father, of the release on Wednesday. Coker would not comment further on the decision.

“In the conversation we had today, they said they felt that Jake was leaning towards the UFC. Honestly, we were talking to them with an open mind, though Jake wants to fight the best,” said the elder Shields. “Between Strikeforce and EliteXC, Jake had the chance to fight on Showtime and CBS four or five times against some top fighters like Dan Henderson and Robbie Lawler. Strikeforce gave him great opportunities and exposure. They’ve been nothing but great for Jake.”

Shields, who successfully defended his title against former Pride Fighting Championships champion and UFC middleweight Henderson on April 17 in Nashville, Tenn., opted to not negotiate a renewal contract with Strikeforce prior to the bout. The fighter’s contract, which was originally drawn up by Pro Elite and purchased by Strikeforce after the short-lived fight organization went bankrupt in October 2008, also did not contain a standard “champion’s clause,” which could have placed stipulations on Shields’ renegotiations while he remained a titleholder.

Prior to news of the release, Jack Shields told Sherdog.com that he submitted the fighter’s asking price to the UFC on Wednesday and was awaiting an initial bid from the rival promotion to pass onto Strikeforce for review. The elder Shields said he submitted figures for a series of bouts he thought requisite if his son fought the top contenders in both the UFC’s welterweight and middleweight divisions.

Shields said his son would like to debut as a UFC middleweight, possibly against champion Anderson Silva, as welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre will be tied up with “The Ultimate Fighter” reality TV series and a pending bout with rival coach Josh Koscheck later this year.

“We didn’t come to agreement with Strikeforce, but Jake’s excited to challenge himself against the likes of Anderson Silva and others in the UFC,” said Shields.

In recent weeks, Strikeforce’s Coker had said the promotion had initial plans to hold a four-, eight-, or even 16-man tournament to crown a new champion if Shields vacated.

poopoo333
07-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Dana White is signing a Strikeforce reject.

SPX
07-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Interesting. Well now we know it's happening for sure. He'll get murdered by Silva, though. I'd much rather see how he stacks up against GSP, because I want to see if he can nullify GSP's wrestling.

zY|
07-01-2010, 02:17 PM
He'll get killed by Silva and GSP, but I think he beats down a lot of fighters in both weight classes.

MMA_scientist
07-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I think GSP woouold beat more easily than Anderson. I actually think he would get be most of the top WW's. Koscheck, Fitch, and Alves would all beat him IMO. It is probably smart to go to MW, where there aren't as many guys that can stuff his shot. Shields is the new Hughes, with possibly worse standup.

Svino
07-01-2010, 04:42 PM
At WW, I'd be most curious to see how he does with Fitch and Koscheck. At MW, how he does against Maia and Palhares.

MMA_scientist
07-01-2010, 05:13 PM
I think he is going to regret the decision the more I think about it. I think he has a chance with Silva though. But he is most likely going to be getting his ass kicked. Of course, he was going to get beat in his next Strikeforce fight too, assuming he fought Jacare... So I guess it is better to take the money.

I don't see a lot of guys that he will be able to beat near the top at either weight class. I would favor Maia and Palhares stylistically- they are both better strikers that wont be controlled on the ground. I think a fight with Dan Miller or Bisping would be a good test. He is a tough matchup for Marquardt.

Svino
07-01-2010, 05:31 PM
He is a tough matchup for Marquardt.
Yeah, I think he probably beats Marquardt, Vitor, and Akiyama.

Ludo
07-01-2010, 06:00 PM
And how does he beat Vitor and Marquardt exactly? Having some of the most piss poor striking I've ever seen isn't going to do him any favors against two guys who are much bigger than he is, one of which has some of the fastest hands in the sport while the other has crushing strikes and both have a better than average sprawl.

SPX
07-01-2010, 06:43 PM
And how does he beat Vitor and Marquardt exactly? Having some of the most piss poor striking I've ever seen isn't going to do him any favors against two guys who are much bigger than he is, one of which has some of the fastest hands in the sport while the other has crushing strikes and both have a better than average sprawl.

I agree. I think Marquardt would handle him pretty easily. Shields is no Sonnen in the wrestling department.

Then again, I didn't expect Shields to beat Henderson either, so. . .

zY|
07-01-2010, 06:59 PM
I think you guys are selling Shields a bit short. Nohe doesn't have a great explosive shot but when he gets in on guys they're probably going down. He's great at finishing takedowns.

Svino
07-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I think you guys are selling Shields a bit short. Nohe doesn't have a great explosive shot but when he gets in on guys they're probably going down. He's great at finishing takedowns.

Yeah. I think Shields would beat Marquardt the same way Shields beat Hendo, and Sonnen beat Marquardt.

MMA_scientist
07-01-2010, 08:35 PM
^^ Agreed. Shields doesn't give up on the takedown.

I think he would beat Nate like Sonnen + guard passing. But I would still put it at about 50%.

I think he would have more trouble with Vitor, but could go either way. He could beat Vitor like Tito + guard passing. Or he would get Linlanded in about 10 seconds.

He would beat Akiyama because he is a better grappler with better takedowns.

MMA_scientist
07-01-2010, 08:41 PM

3 guys with one punch power, good hands, and a good sprawl:

Robbie Lawler
Dan Henderson
Paul Daley

Ludo
07-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Let us not forget he almost got finished in the first minute of that fight with Henderson. I don't see him taking Marquardt down like Sonnen did, he's nowhere near Sonnens level in wrestling and Marquardt is much bigger than Dan Henderson. I'm not selling Shields short but he simply is not big enough to hang with most of these UFC Middleweights who walk around at 200lbs+ with good sprawling abilities. I'm sorry but he just is not explosively athletic enough to catch them with any kind of consistency. Dan Henderson was gassed out as of the end of the first round when he fought Shields(I'm not saying that would have made alot of difference, but the takedown wouldn't have seemed so effortless otherwise). I have said before Henderson has a tendency to get taken down by over committing to throwing strikes, however he started to get desperate when he was down 2 and 3 rounds and getting mounted each time which may have also played a factor to him being taken down while hoping for the hail mary punch.

Ludo
07-01-2010, 08:47 PM

3 guys with one punch power, good hands, and a good sprawl:

Robbie Lawler
Dan Henderson
Paul Daley

Not a one of those guys is as big as Nate Marquardt or Vitor Belfort either. Come fight night these guys are walking into the cage at 200lbs or more for a Middleweight fight. He is much more suited to competing at Welterweight in the UFC. The odds are better and the playing field is more even except for Rumble and Alves.

As far as the Tito fight that was Five years ago. Vitor is a much more complete fighter now than he was then.

MMA_scientist
07-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Let us not forget he almost got finished in the first minute of that fight with Henderson. I don't see him taking Marquardt down like Sonnen (R-Or) did, he's nowhere near Sonnens level in wrestling and Marquardt is much bigger than Dan Henderson. I'm not selling Shields short but he simply is not big enough to hang with most of these UFC Middleweights who walk around at 200lbs+ with good sprawling abilities. I'm sorry but he just is not explosively athletic enough to catch them with any kind of consistency. Dan Henderson was gassed out as of the end of the first round when he fought Shields(I'm not saying that would have made alot of difference, but the takedown wouldn't have seemed so effortless otherwise). I have said before Henderson has a tendency to get taken down by over committing to throwing strikes, however he started to get desperate when he was down 2 and 3 rounds and getting mounted each time which may have also played a factor to him being taken down while hoping for the hail mary punch.

I thought he was putting up a good effort on the takedown defense even in the 5th round... Shields was just death gripping his legs and wasn't going to give up on it.

I think Henderson has far better takedown defense than Nate. I would also say Dan is as big or bigger than Nate. Dan has been at 205 a lot. He was the Pride champ at 205 and fought for the UFC belt at 205. He is big as hell for a MW.

As for his athleticism... he has proven that he can take guys down. He beat 3 very dangerous strikers with sprawls. I don't know what else to tell you... he finds a way to get it down.

We don't have to agree... but acting like it is crazy to think that Shields would beat Nate and Vitor is selling Jake short- it is totally viable.

Vitor has been beaten by wrestlers his entire career- Dan Henderson beat him. Tito, Rand x2, Dan, Sak...

Nate had a close fight with Thales and Thales took him down with a shot as well. Thales even mounted him at one point. His takedown defense is good, but not great.

Luke
07-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Dana White is signing a Strikeforce reject.

lol thats funny poopoo

Luke
07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Personally I dont think Shields will be top 5 at 170 or 185 in the UFC. His striking is so bad imo that he'll never be at the top. I think Hendo being fat and out of shape did alot more for Shields beating him than talent

Luke
07-01-2010, 09:09 PM

I agree with Ludo .I cant see Shields beating guys that are bigger than him and have beating striking

Ludo
07-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Henderson has always been very small at 205, hell when he fought Vitor he weighed in at 196lbs! His natural weight is in the 180's somewhere, he is alot like BJ Penn when he moved to Welterweight except Henderson had a bit more and prolonged success. He made up for his lack of natural size mostly with his skillset. His right hand is like a skud missile with a brick on the end of it coupled with his high level Greco Roman Wrestling afforded him alot of leeway in a time when few had an answer for elite level greco. Hell few have an answer for it even now, even Randy Couture at 47 years old is still winning with it.

Svino
07-01-2010, 10:35 PM

I agree with Ludo .I cant see Shields beating guys that are bigger than him and have beating striking

Aw come on, bigger than him and better at striking? That's basically every fighter in the world at MW.

Luke
07-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Aw come on, bigger than him and better at striking? That's basically every fighter in the world at MW.

Ok let me add in top 5