PDA

View Full Version : The New WAMMA?

SPX
07-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Just ran across this new organization, the WFO. Looks like they want to be the new WAMMA.

From their About section:

Although MMA has exploded in popularity in the past few years, the sports current fractured structure threatens to slow this growth and confuse the mainstream media and fans. It is the WFO’s belief that MMA fans worldwide will become very confused as to who the real World Champions are. As of now, each promotional company crowns its own World Champions. With several thousand MMA promotional companies in existence, it will become unclear as to who the best fighters in the world really are. It is our goal to recognize the world’s best MMA athletes and crown them with one of the finest quality belts as well as the most meaningful belt in the industry.
Describing MMA’s need for a recognized “World Champion,” MMA promoter Gary Shaw stated recently “for MMA to explode, really explode, you don’t just have a UFC champion or a Pride or a K-1 champion, but you have a true World Champion.” This is where the WFO mandate begins; by establishing clear rules and regulations, and an unbiased ranking system. The WFO has been formed to encourage promoters to work together to crown a universally recognized champion, the “WFO Champion.”

The World Fighting Organization, headquartered in Coral Gables, Florida, is headed by President John Daddono, who has over 30 years of experience in boxing and mixed martial arts. Daddono is also the founder and Chairman of the International Boxing Organization (IBO) which he founded in 1992. Some of the current IBO World Champions include Manny "Pac Man" Pacquiao, Wladimir "Dr. Steelhammer" Klitschko, and Chad Dawson. WFO Vice President Jeremy Levine, Esq., is also the Vice-President of the IBO. Levine was a member of the Florida State Athletic Commission for 5 years and has supervised world title bouts for over 15 years. The officers of the WFO are looking to aid in the lacking ranking structure in which MMA is currently experiencing as well as recognizing only one true World Champion per weight class.

http://wfomma.com/index.php

Svino
07-02-2010, 07:21 PM
I really think the only problem with WAMMA and the above is that they try to be "world" MMA ranking organizations, instead of "non-Zuffa" MMA ranking organizations. When you try to include promotions that will not participate, you've lost at the start.

SPX
07-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Yeah, that's true. It's obviously the point though to determine the UNDISPUTED champion. If you can't get everyone, then it's probably pointless to do it at all.

zY|
07-02-2010, 07:23 PM
^^But if you don't include the largest organization that has >75% of the top fighters in the world nobody will take you seriously.

SPX
07-02-2010, 07:24 PM
^^But if you don't include the largest organization that has >75% of the top fighters in the world nobody will take you seriously.

Did YOU really just say that?

zY|
07-02-2010, 07:30 PM
wat

SPX
07-02-2010, 07:32 PM
wat

You always talk mad shit on me because I insist that the UFC has the vast majority of the top fighters in the world.

zY|
07-02-2010, 07:34 PM
wat

You always talk mad shit on me because I insist that the UFC has the vast majority of the top fighters in the world.

No. I 'talked mad shit on you' because you insist that ALL fighters outside of the UFC are inferior.

Svino
07-02-2010, 08:16 PM

I don't agree. Or at least, to the extent that's it's true, it's only because of marketing. As as you aren't claiming to be ranking all of the world's best - 25% of the world's best fighters is plenty to base a ratings org on.

SPX
07-02-2010, 08:52 PM
No. I 'talked mad shit on you' because you insist that ALL fighters outside of the UFC are inferior.

Inferior to who? I've always said there are plenty of good fighters outside the UFC. For instance, I really like Melendez. But is Melendez beating BJ? No, I don't think so. Will he beat Edgar? I doubt it. He could beat either, but I don't think that he would. That doesn't mean he's not good or that he wouldn't beat plenty of other UFC lightweights.

I've also always stood up for Fedor as the best HW in the world . . . but I think that that's not for sure until he faces the UFC's guys. It's just the way it is.

I've always said good shit about Jacare. Always said good shit about Mousasi.

zY|
07-02-2010, 10:45 PM

Inferior to who? I've always said there are plenty of good fighters outside the UFC. For instance, I really like Melendez. But is Melendez beating BJ? No, I don't think so. Will he beat Edgar? I doubt it. He could beat either, but I don't think that he would. That doesn't mean he's not good or that he wouldn't beat plenty of other UFC lightweights.

I've also always stood up for Fedor as the best HW in the world . . . but I think that that's not for sure until he faces the UFC's guys. It's just the way it is.

I've always said good shit about Jacare. Always said good shit about Mousasi.

Oh so I'm misrepresenting your position?

Now we're even.