PDA

View Full Version : WEC 51 Sept 30th

Luke
07-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Jose Aldo vs Manny Gamburyan agreed to and Varner-Cerrone 2 in the works

starting off really good

Ludo
07-13-2010, 10:23 PM
I thought Varner broke his hand again he said.

Luke
07-13-2010, 11:07 PM
I thought Varner broke his hand again he said.

I guess not ,there's no mention of anything like that

As far as rematches go, this one has been about a year-and-a-half in the making.

The long awaited second showdown between Donald Cerrone and Jamie Varner is in the works for the not-yet-announced WEC 51 on Sept. 30 at the 1st Bank Center in Broomfield, Colo.

Sherdog.com has learned that at least one of the top-ranked lightweights has verbally agreed to the bout, according to sources in the fighter’s camp.

Varner and Cerrone first met at WEC 38 in January 2009, with Varner retaining his lightweight championship through a controversial split decision. The "Cowboy" landed an illegal knee to the side of Varner's head as the Arizona Combat Sports fighter got to his feet during the fifth round of their title bout. Varner was unable to continue, so the fight was scored from that point. While Varner escaped with his title, many felt that Cerrone was the stronger fighter as the bout advanced into its later stages.

After the fight it was revealed that Varner suffered a broken foot, a lesion in his eye -- which left his vision blurry for about six weeks -- and a broken hand that required two reconstructive surgeries to repair.

The two fighters waged a public war of words while Varner was shelved for nearly a year. In the meantime, Cerrone lost a closely contested interim title bout to Ben Henderson that touted as one of the best fights of 2009.

When Varner returned from injury, he suffered a third-round submission loss to Henderson in a lightweight title unification bout at WEC 46 in January. Cerrone was unable to claim the title and avenge his earlier loss to Henderson at WEC 48, falling victim to a first-round guillotine choke in the promotion's first ever pay-per-view event.

Now that Henderson seems to be firmly entrenched atop the 155-pound heap in the WEC, Varner and Cerrone are left to handle unfinished business.

Varner continues to be a magnet for controversy: His latest bout was a foul-marred contest with Kamal Shalorus at WEC 49 that ended in a draw, a decision Varner disputed immediately after the match. Varner owns wins over Sherron Leggett, former champion Rob McCullough and Marcus Hicks, as well as Cerrone in his WEC career. Prior to that he fought twice in the UFC, losing to Hermes Franca and defeating Jason Gilliam.

Cerrone owns victories over Danny Castillo, McCullough, James Krause and Ed Ratcliff during his WEC tenure

Ludo
07-13-2010, 11:33 PM
He kept saying he broke his right hand after the Shalorus fight ended. Guess he's just a pussy.

Luke
07-21-2010, 01:11 PM
http://www.bestfightodds.com/events/306.png

Thats just way too high imo

Luke
07-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Jaime Varner Confirms Rematch with Donald Cerrone at WEC 51

According to multiple reports, it appears a lightweight rematch between bitter rivals Jaime Varner and Donald Cerrone will go down at WEC 51 on September 30th.

The mulligan was first reported by Sherdog.com earlier this month,but Varner’s management claimed they were perusing a championship scrap against 155-pound king Ben Henderson. It appears WEC brass has other ideas following the former champ’s controversial draw with Kamal Shalorus at WEC 49 last month.

Varner confirmed his showdown with “The Cowboy” on his official website on Tuesday.

“So my next fight will be a rematch with Donald Cerrone I hope to be the co-main sept 30. So any questions that were left after the last fight will be answered sept 30!” Varner wrote.

Varner and Cerrone initially met for the lightweight crown at WEC 38 back in January 2009. “C-4? took home a technical split decision after eating an illegal knee to the head in the 5thRound.

The event is scheduled to take place inside the 1STBANK Center in Broomfield, Colorado. WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo will be defending his strap against top contender Manny Gamburyan in the night’s featured fight.

Here are the contestants rumored/expected to participate in the show:

Tyler Toner vs. TBD
Leonard Garcia vs. Mark Hominick
Chan Sung Jung “The Korean Zombie” vs. George Roop
Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone vs. Jaime Varner
Miguel Torres vs. Charlie Valencia
Manny Gamburyan vs. Jose Aldo (WEC Featherweight Champion)

SPX
07-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Thats just way too high imo

Agreed on the Aldo line. Not touching that.

I'd really like to get Cowboy at +200. I'm not that confident in him, though, so as it stands this one's a no-bet for me.

Oh, and KZ should fuck Roop up.