PDA

View Full Version : Fedor Emelianenko Will Have to Wait, Werdum Out Until 2011

Luke
07-15-2010, 02:19 PM
an important piece to their 265-pound puzzle has just revealed that his services will not be available until the new year.

Although Fabricio Werdum immediately – and willingly – offered up a rematch following his stunning submission victory over Fedor Emelianenko last month, the Brazilian now says he’s planning on going under the knife to fix a nagging injury.

“After the seminars, I will undergo surgery on my elbow that I have put off for some time. We’re in July and I only want to come back 100% recovered,” Werdum told SL Forum (translated by Fighters Only). “I think it’s hard to make it this year due the physical therapy, conditioning and all else.

“I might get back next year.”

According to Werdum, he’s currently unable to stretch his arm out completely. The report did not mention which limb the jiu jitsu ace injured.

Werdum’s impending surgery is unfortunate, however it may be a blessing in disguise for fans. Team Fedor is aiming for an October/November return and Werdum’s exit may have blasted the doors wide open for the scrap MMA purists have long been yearning for; Fedor Emelianenko vs. Alistair Overeem.

Although that scenario sounds ideal for most, M-1 Global probably won’t bite because they would like to erase Werdum’s upset over their meal ticket with an instant mulligan.

“We are ready to fight against anyone, but everyone agrees that the most interesting fight right now is the rematch against Fabricio Werdum. We have one fight left on our contract, so if Strikeforce wants to extend it, they should listen to our opinion,” Vadim Finkelstein previously said.

No word from Strikeforce regarding Werdum’s injury and how it will affect their heavyweight landscape.

MMA_scientist
07-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Werdum taking one for Strikeforce. That "worked out" pretty weel for them.

Luke
07-15-2010, 02:37 PM
I contacted M-1 Global's Director of Global Operations Evgeni Kogan and he was kind enough to answer some questions for Bloody Elbow:

Kogan: (Werdum's) gotta do what he's gotta do. The re-match will be there, pre elbow surgery or post. That's what the fans want and that's what they will eventually get.

Bloody Elbow: So no Overeem bout while we wait for Werdum?

Kogan: We have yet to talk to our partners. So news on that in a little while.

BE: When you say "our partners" does that mean Strikeforce?

Kogan: Strikeforce and Showtime.We are working with them both. Scott Coker, Ken Hershman and Jock McLean.

BE: Is there ANY possibility of Fedor fighting in Japan on New Year's Eve while he's under contract to Strikeforce?

Kogan: I think it's possible, but unlikely. Strikeforce themselves have fighters fighting in Japan.

BE: So is it something that M-1 would consider?

Kogan: We are certainly not short of offers traditionally, for new year in Japan. I just don't think it's super realistic, but anything is possible.

Luke
07-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Scott Coker: Fedor Emelianenko vs. Alistair Overeem “Doesn’t Have to be for the Title”

After insisting he would ignore Team Fedor Emelianenko’s request for an immediate rematch against Fabricio Werdum, conspiracy theorists suggested Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker was favoring the highly anticipated scrap between the Russian and champion Alistair Overeem.

The hypothesis goes; Coker is banking on Emelianenko violently bouncing back from his one-fight losing skid to capture the Strikeforce heavyweight crown. Thus, kicking in a “champion’s clause” – which is a component in mixed martial arts contracts that makes it difficult for an athlete to exit a promotion once he wins a title.

Emelianenko only has one bout remaining on his current deal with the San Jose, CA based promotion.

“That’s not it at all,” Coker told Sherdog.com. “Depending on if there’s any future fights, if he fights Overeem, it might not be a title fight. It doesn’t have to be (for the title). If Fedor is on his last fight with us, we wouldn’t make it a title fight with Alistair.

“But why shouldn’t that fight happen regardless?”

IF M-1 Global actually accepts a fight against Ubereem, it’s highly unlikely they would risk their meal ticket’s longest career losing streak without having any hardware on the line. Furthermore, if an extension isn’t reached before Fedor’s next assignment is announced, it could be a good indicator that the free agent market may soon be flipped upside-down.

According to the report, Strikeforce has “first rights to negotiate” should Team Fedor seek out other offers. If this were the NBA, Emelianenko would be a restricted free agent. However, this is the fight game where the best deal will receive access to his services, regardless of what order the offer comes in.

Emelianenko, M-1, or whoever is the shot caller for the world’s best heavyweight need to decide how he wants to end his illustrious career:

(A) Protect his legacy by chasing the Werdum rematch with Strikeforce.

Or

(B) End his Strikeforce tenure with a bang against whoever, then take his talents to South Beach – ahem, the UFC – to face the planet’s best 265-pounders on the biggest possible stage.

zY|
07-19-2010, 02:09 PM
http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/07/18/s ... hats-next/ (http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/07/18/strikeforce-needs-to-answer-whats-next/)

I agree with MDS on the subject.

Luke
08-23-2010, 06:06 PM
M-1 : “We plan to organize an interim fight for Fedor. We are considering 2 options: Japan (NYE) & Russia (Dec)"

Luke
08-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Fedor:

"Absolutely, I would like a rematch with Werdum. But as he was recently operated on, then as soon as this fight is unlikely to happen. This year, in November-December, I would prefer to meet in a cage with Alistair Overeem"

What a circus ::haptime::

SPX
08-24-2010, 09:27 PM
^^^ That's the fight I want to see.

Mr. IWS
08-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Ubereem tucks that nigga to bed.

zY|
08-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Ubereem tucks that nigga to bed.

Fedor brings flowers to Alistair in the hospital.

Mr. IWS
08-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Stop playin zY.

zY|
08-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Real talk.

Luke
08-25-2010, 02:17 PM
M-1 is asking for Olympic style drug testing. Overeem's camp says no, athletic comm. testing enough.

poopoo333
08-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Just let him use his fucking steroids, Fedor fought Mark Coleman in Pride for christs sakes.

Mr. IWS
08-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Just let him use his fucking steroids, Fedor fought Mark Coleman in Pride for christs sakes.

Its the horse meat dude.