PDA

View Full Version : MMA Orgs

SPX
07-26-2010, 03:51 PM
My editor wants to me to do an article on the top 10-15 MMA orgs. Basically it's supposed to be a sort of beginners guide to MMA organizations.

So far I've got 13:

UFC
WEC
Strikeforce
Bellator
DREAM
Sengoku
MFC
KOTC
Palace Fighting Championships
Shark Fights
Ring of Fire
Moosin
M-1 (?)

What's everyone think? What am I missing? Are there any in the list that don't deserve to be there?

Mr. IWS
07-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Tachi

SPX
07-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Tachi

What the fuck is that?

Mr. IWS
07-26-2010, 04:15 PM
lol, I googled it, its that Palace fighting championship.

Carry on.

SPX
07-26-2010, 04:17 PM
lol, I googled it, its that Palace fighting championship.

Carry on.

Apparently Tachi is also "a Japanese slang term usually describing a gay, lesbian or bisexual person who identifies as a "top" or "butch."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachi_(disambiguation)

MMA_scientist
07-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Looks like a pretty good list to me. The bottom 3 or 4 are always going to be switching out. Moosin has only had like 2 events, I think Shark Fights is new too. There are some promotions that are a lot older but don't have as much bog name talent right now.

HookNShoot is a promotion in my hometown. It is the 2nd oldest promotion. Back in the day, everyone fought here. We had a slew of big name guys come up in hookNshoot. But it sucks now, talent wise. Still it is run by Jeff Osbourne. He was a commentator for some of the early UFC's. He owned part of Bodog. And all the while HookNShoot was there. Still, like I said, it is old, but relatively sucky now.

So I guess it depends on your criteria

Mr. IWS
07-26-2010, 04:18 PM
How bout Yamma pit fighting...for old time sakes?

SPX
07-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Shark Fights have been around for a little while now. They're up to their 13th event. They are just now starting to get relatively big names, though.

You're right about Moosin. Their second event is coming up. I mainly list them because a) they apparently intend to keep going, and b) they seem committed to bringing in well-known talent. They may dry up, though.

I think I'm also going to add JEWEL to the list, mostly because they're unique in that they're an all-female organization.

SPX
07-26-2010, 04:23 PM

Yeah, let me put Bodog on the list, too.

SPX
07-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Re: HookNShoot. I'm familiar with them to an extent. Like you say, it depends on what you're looking for talent-wise. I'll need to clarify with my editor, but my guess is he's going to want orgs that are making some sort of statement in the here and now.

Luke
07-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Impact FC

SPX
07-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Impact FC

You know, I heard of them, but don't know much about them. What are they all about?

zY|
07-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Impact FC

You know, I heard of them, but don't know much about them. What are they all about?

Uh they did the shows in Australia the other week.

Your list is fine but there's also other Japanese promotions like Shooto and DEEP.

SPX
07-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Uh they did the shows in Australia the other week.

Oh yeah. I didn't watch that shit.

Your list is fine but there's also other Japanese promotions like Shooto and DEEP.

I thought about Shooto and DEEP. We'll go ahead and add them on.

I can actually come up with some other names as well (Wild Bill's Fight Night, anyone???) but I'm not sure how comprehensive he wants this list to be. Does he want more info per org, but fewer orgs? Or more orgs, but less info?

I'll have to find out.

MMA_scientist
07-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Shooto is definitely on the list, forgot about them.

Svino
07-26-2010, 11:21 PM

Yeah, let me put Bodog on the list, too.

Well if you're using defunct promotions, there's: Pride, IFL, Elite XC, Cage Rage, Affliction, RINGS (sort of).

Another current promotion is The Art of War, in China.

I thought about Pancrase and K1 as MMA promoters, but I don't actually know what their status is.

SPX
07-26-2010, 11:27 PM
^^^ I was joking about Bodog. It's all current promotions.

The list I sent to my editor included. . .

UFC
WEC
Strikeforce
DREAM
Sengoku
Bellator
KOTC
PFC
Shark Fights
Ring of Fire
M-1 Global
Moosin
MFC
JEWEL
Shooto
DEEP

. . . which he liked. I did think about Art of War, but information about Art of War is pretty hard to find, and it's often confused with the US-based promotion of the same name.