PDA

View Full Version : SD LW Rankings

SPX
09-03-2010, 06:32 PM
1. Frankie Edgar (13-1)
At UFC 118, lightning struck for the second time and even brighter than before. After winning an unpopular unanimous decision over B.J. Penn in Abu Dhabi in April, Edgar showed sterling improvement in his Aug. 28 rematch with "The Prodigy." He won all five rounds on all three judges’ scorecards to turn in the best performance of his career.

2. Gilbert Melendez (18-2)
The Strikeforce lightweight champion notched the most significant win of his career April 17 in Nashville, Tenn. He dominated Dream titleholder Shinya Aoki for all 25 minutes of their bout on network television and entrenched himself as one of the sport’s elite at 155 pounds.

3. B.J. Penn (15-7-1)
In one of the most lackluster fights of his career, the mercurial Penn stood around for much of the 25 minutes in the cage with Frankie Edgar on Aug. 28. Though most felt Penn deserved the nod in their April bout, Edgar dominated "The Prodigy" for the balance of their rematch and left no doubt who the true UFC lightweight champion is.

4. Gray Maynard (10-0, 1 NC)
Despite being tabbed as the underdog entering his Aug. 28 UFC lightweight title eliminator with Kenny Florian, Maynard didn't look one bit the part. He put Florian on the mat repeatedly en route to a tidy unanimous decision win. The victory lines Maynard up as the next man to challenge Frankie Edgar, whom he has beaten before, for the UFC crown.

5. Shinya Aoki (24-5, 1 NC)
Skepticism swirled around Aoki’s status as an elite lightweight after his April drubbing at the hands of Gilbert Melendez. However, the thrilling grappler picked up yet another brilliant victory on July 10, leg locking Tatsuya Kawajiri in less than two minutes to retain his Dream lightweight title in impressive fashion.

6. Eddie Alvarez (20-2)
When Bellator's second lightweight tournament wrapped, Alvarez was expected to take on bracket winner Pat Curran on Oct. 21. However, with an injury forcing Curran out of the bout, the first title shot against Alvarez has been afforded to UFC veteran Roger Huerta instead.

7. Kenny Florian (13-5)
In hot pursuit of a third UFC lightweight title shot, Florian couldn't best unbeaten Gray Maynard in their Aug. 28 title eliminator. After dropping a unanimous verdict to "The Bully," Florian will be forced to work his way up the UFC lightweight ladder once again.

8. Tatsuya Kawajiri (26-6-2)
Many tabbed Kawajiri to be the next Dream champion, figuring he had exactly the right skill set to replicate what Gilbert Melendez did to Shinya Aoki in April. However, on July 10, Kawajiri spent most of the night fending off foot locks, until finally tapping out to Aoki less than two minutes into the first round.

9. Evan Dunham (11-0)
In June, Dunham really opened eyes with his well-appointed decision over Tyson Griffin. The 28-year-old's next test will be another stiff one, as he'll meet former UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk at UFC 119 on Sept. 15 in a fight that could move him closer to a title shot of his own.

10. Benson Henderson (12-1)
The second WEC lightweight title defense for "Smooth" will happen in front of a partisan crowd in Glendale, Ariz. However, hometown crowd or not, Henderson will have his hands full when he meets once-beaten dynamo Anthony Pettis in a possible "Fight of the Year" contender.

SPX
09-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Just posting for the sake of conversation.

Edgar's now #1. Can't really argue with it.

Melendez now ahead of BJ. Agree or disagree? Beating Aoki was big for Gil, and losing to Edgar twice was big for BJ. But I still think BJ beats Gil, though shit, who knows anymore.

Dunham at #9. Agree or disagree? I'd like to see Dunham vs G-Sot. I think they are the two biggest up-and-comers in the division right now and they're both just running through guys.

Lastly, Bendo at #10. Seems odd that the WEC LW champ is so far down the list . . . just barely hanging on. Is that justified or is there really that big of a talent difference between the WEC's LWs and those of other top organizations?

Svino
09-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Melendez now ahead of BJ. Agree or disagree? Beating Aoki was big for Gil, and losing to Edgar twice was big for BJ. But I still think BJ beats Gil, though shit, who knows anymore.

Dunham at #9. Agree or disagree? I'd like to see Dunham vs G-Sot. I think they are the two biggest up-and-comers in the division right now and they're both just running through guys.

Lastly, Bendo at #10. Seems odd that the WEC LW champ is so far down the list . . . just barely hanging on. Is that justified or is there really that big of a talent difference between the WEC's LWs and those of other top organizations?

My opinions: Melendez is good, but I bet he would lose to most of the other non-Japanese fighters in the top 8. I think Dunham deserves his spot, and also that you can't really put Henderson any higher.

SPX
09-03-2010, 07:21 PM
I'd like to see how Henderson would do in the UFC.

Condit was a former WEC champ and he's done fairly well for himself so far. His fight with Kampmann was very close. He DID get KOd in his fight with Ellenberger, but had a good enough ref to where he was able to come back and win. And while he was getting his ass beat in the first round of the MacDonald fight, again he was able to come from behind and win.

Hard to say how Condit would do against against anyone in the top 10. I think he'd have a good shot against Swick, maybe Paulo Thiago, and maybe Daley if he immediately tried to get it to the ground. I think he would lose to Diaz, Kampmann, Kos, Alves, Fitch, and GSP. I also think he's probably going to lose to Hardy and have already put my money on Hardy.

But back to Bendo. . . I assume if he joined the UFC they'd take a similar approach and put him against some upper-mid-level guys to start, like Jim Miller, or maybe someone like G-Sot to see how he'd fare.

Luke
09-03-2010, 07:47 PM
I think the list looks fine

MMA_scientist
09-03-2010, 09:04 PM
I don't see why Maynard is not #1. No losses, a win over Edgar and Florian. I don't see that Melendez has done more. Only BJ has more top 10 wins...

Mr. IWS
09-03-2010, 09:07 PM
I would flip flop Gray and BJ, but thats about it for me.

zY|
09-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Because Edgar beat BJ Penn twice and is the champion.

MMA_scientist
09-03-2010, 09:10 PM
yeah, but Gray beat Edgar and hasn't lost to BJ... so its not a round robin situation. I just think, based on accomplishments, Gray should be #1.

SPX
09-03-2010, 09:11 PM
I don't see why Maynard is not #1. No losses, a win over Edgar and Florian. I don't see that Melendez has done more. Only BJ has more top 10 wins...

This is what makes ranking fighters so difficult. But I think it really comes down to impression of Edgar having improved significantly since his fight with Maynard combined with owning two wins over "the greatest lightweight of all time," BJ Penn.

Maynard also squeaked by with an SD in a fight over Diaz, who hasn't looked any better than "good" at lightweight. He looked very good against Florian, and that's a great win, but Florian also got owned by BJ and Sherk, both of whom Frankie has beat.

In any case, this argument will get settled soon enough. I hope they make this fight no more than 3 to 4 months down the road.

MMA_scientist
09-03-2010, 09:15 PM
^ yep... rankings are mix of potentional and accomplishments. Its hard... I was just speculating. I don't really care too much, because I don't really believe in "ultimate" fighters. I think there is always a bad matchuo somewhere on the board for everyone. But in this case, Gray has never lost, and has a win over Edgar... so he should be ahead of him IMO

Svino
09-03-2010, 09:53 PM
yeah, but Gray beat Edgar and hasn't lost to BJ... so its not a round robin situation. I just think, based on accomplishments, Gray should be #1.

I don't think they ever rank someone over their own promotion's champ. Also, it's always the last couple of fights that they really count for these things. Switch the fight orders around and you'd get totally different rankings.

SPX
09-03-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't think they ever rank someone over their own promotion's champ.

Wasn't BJ still ranked above Edgar before the rematch?

Svino
09-03-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't think they ever rank someone over their own promotion's champ.

Wasn't BJ still ranked above Edgar before the rematch?

Not at Sherdog:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/6/ ... ings-24573 (http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/6/Sherdog-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-24573)

I realize what I said is technically wrong with regard to Fedor and Overeem, but everyone knows its the "Fedor Belt" that counts. And when Werdum took the "Fedor Belt" from Fedor, he was immediately ranked ahead of him.

Luke
09-03-2010, 10:39 PM

I dont think Gray should be number 1. He's only 1-1 against Nate Diaz .I know, I know the loss doesnt count (which is the gayest thing I've ever heard of) but he does have a loss

If he beats the champ ,Edgar, he should take the number 1 spot imo

SPX
09-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Gray also knocked himself out.

Is it proper for a man who knocks himself out to be at #1?

Luke
09-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Gray also knocked himself out.

Is it proper for a man who knocks himself out to be at #1?

He did what?

SPX
09-03-2010, 10:49 PM
He did what?

He knocked himself out. When he fought Emerson way back in the day. If I remember right, he slammed Emerson and KOd both himself and Emerson in the process.

Luke
09-03-2010, 10:55 PM
He did what?

He knocked himself out. When he fought Emerson way back in the day. If I remember right, he slammed Emerson and KOd both himself and Emerson in the process.

Oh the double ko .I know what you're talking about now.

You caught me off guard by saying he knocked himself out lol

SPX
09-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Oh the double ko .I know what you're talking about now.

You caught me off guard by saying he knocked himself out lol

Yeah. He initiated it, though. It's not like they punched each other at the same time or anything.

Mr. IWS
09-04-2010, 05:00 AM
but everyone knows its the "Fedor Belt" that counts.

Wammaguy.gif

doublearmbar
09-04-2010, 05:24 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/zv34i0.gif