PDA

View Full Version : Bautista's ready to kick some ass

SPX
10-11-2010, 02:30 PM
SAN JOSE, Calif. – Former pro wrestler David Bautista is still very much interested in fighting in mixed martial arts.

The heavyweight took in this past Saturday's "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Noons II" event in support of MMA mentor Nick Diaz and said that talks with the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion are ongoing, though a deal is "not even close to done."

If all goes well, however, Bautista hopes to be in the Strikeforce cage by March 2011.

"I think I can be something really positive for the MMA world," Bautista told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com)).

Bautista in May left the industry-leading pro-wrestling promotion World Wrestling Entertainment and shifted his focus from the WWE to acting and a crossover into MMA. In June, he met with Strikeforce executives about a possible contract and began training with Diaz and trainer Cesar Gracie. He's made regular trips to their Northern California gym in the past five months.

As for fighting in a cage for real, the entertainer said he needs between eight and 10 weeks to prepare for a fight and is ready to begin training full-time in January 2011 after he fulfills his obligations to a pair of movie projects.

Other than that, he said, it's about reaching an agreement with Strikeforce on money and the number of fights on his contract.

"My thing is I want to do a multi-fight deal," he said. "I want to have a guarantee of at least three fights. I want a tune-up fight, I want a big fight, and I want a pay-per-view fight."

That's an ambitious plan for someone with no professional MMA experience, but Bautista said he has practical reasons for jumping into the deep end of the pool.

"I've always been honest with myself," he said. "I'm not getting any younger, so three fights is all I can commit to. I don't know how I'm going to feel after those three fights. If I'm 42 and I've had three fights, my window of opportunity is not very large."

Strikeforce officials were not available for comment on a potential deal with Bautista. However, in late August, the promotion's CEO, Scott Coker, told MMAjunkie.com the two sides were in active discussions.

Coker previously has stated he'd like Bautista's first fight to be against fellow former pro wrestler and current Strikeforce heavyweight Bobby Lashley. But that's the second matchup on Bautista's list.

"I'd have an easier fight where I could get comfortable in the cage, and then I'd like to go into a big fight with Bobby, and then I'd like to have a large pay-per-view fight," he said.

Still, the newcomer is confident he could beat Lashley, who recently suffered his first professional loss when he was stopped by Chad Griggs at "Strikeforce: Houston."

Bautista said he and Lashley wrestled against one another in several WWE events, though they were always interrupted because they were both designated as "good guys" that could not lose.

"I think we made magic in the ring together," Bautista. "We're very similar athletes. I think that I'll be a much better standup fighter, and I think with Cesar's guidance, I'd dominate him on the ground. I think I'll be a much more well-rounded fighter than Bobby."

But for those who see a sideshow in the making, Bautista said his desire to fight is no act.

"I'm not going to come into the ring and start yelling and screaming and attacking guys," Bautista said. "I'm going to bring some skill, but also it's going to be with a lot of speed and agility and power behind it.

"I've got all the tools. I'm 41 years old now, but I can go and train for one or two hours nonstop, and I don't have a problem. The reason I was successful in wrestling is because I stayed in shape nonstop. I have the durability. I just have to put it all together and get the skill.

"I think I'll be an exciting fighter. I'm either going to win big or lose big."

Luke
10-11-2010, 02:35 PM
I'll be the first to admit I love freak shows but having Bautista ,Lesnar,Kimbo ,butterbean,and Toney fighting MMA isnt helping make the sport look legit to people who already think its a spinoff of the WWE.

But I'll surely watch ::thumbup::

Mr. IWS
10-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Lashley is a can, but he will rape this fuckin clown.

SPX
10-11-2010, 02:40 PM
^^^ I also will be more than happy to watch. I never get people who are all like "I'm not watching that shit!" or whatever. Personally, I also do love a good freak show. Why not. It's something different and obviously set up for the pure spectacle of it.

As for the sport looking legitimate to outsiders, I honestly don't care. As long as the sport IS legitimate, that's all I'm really worried about. It seems to me that most fighters come to MMA from other professions (i.e. Chuck was an accountant, Carwin is some sort of engineer or something, etc.) but they only get a lot of shit if they come over from some non-fighting athletic career (pro-wrestlers, football players, etc).

SPX
10-11-2010, 02:44 PM

I still want Lashley to fight Brock. Oh, please. Let Lashley fight Brock somehow somewhere.

Ludo
10-13-2010, 01:42 AM
I'll be the first to admit I love freak shows but having Bautista ,Lesnar,Kimbo ,butterbean,and Toney fighting MMA isnt helping make the sport look legit to people who already think its a spinoff of the WWE.

But I'll surely watch ::thumbup::

In a sense it helps the sport in the same way Toney and Herschell Walker did. They bring a wider range of viewer, which in turn leads to more fans who like the sport for the right reasons. Exposure, especially positive exposure is good no matter how it's achieved at this point. Honestly though I think a monster was created when Lesnar found some success in the UFC. Now what we have are guys who are either at the end of they're run with Pro Wrestling(Lashley since he had the personality of a brick) or getting older and looking for something a little more "family friendly" or simply to challenge themself further and they think they can do it because Brock Lesnar did. Nevermind the fact that Lesnar was always a freak athlete who had a great college wrestling career. I like to call this the "Wanna Be like Mike" effect. Just like how tons of kids thought if they went to North Carolina they could be the next Michael Jordan, now alot of pro wrestlers think they can cross over to MMA and be champions.

Ludo
10-13-2010, 01:46 AM

I still want Lashley to fight Brock. Oh, please. Let Lashley fight Brock somehow somewhere.

Brock Lesnar would make Bobby Lashley bite the curb...

zY|
10-13-2010, 09:28 AM
That's racist mr ludocain