PDA

View Full Version : For those interested in training UFC. . .

SPX
10-20-2010, 12:16 PM
For now, UFC Gym officials are not targeting the tanned, Bluetoothed gym rat wearing $200 apparel.

Mark Mastrov, the founder of 24 Hour Fitness and the fight promotion's new partner in fitness, is aiming at the blue-collar crowd.

"We're about taking the experience of a fighter's training regime and bringing it to the general public," Mastrov told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com)) during a recent gym opening in Rosemead, Calif.

Mastrov, who sold his company in 2005 for $1.6 billion, hopes to turn mixed martial arts into the next big fitness craze. A huge UFC fan, Mastrov and partner Jim Rowley partnered with the UFC in 2008. The first UFC Gym opened to the public in January in Concord, Calif.

The idea is taking the neighborhood dojo and merging it with a state-of-the-art gym. But that doesn't come with a high price tag, according to Mastrov.

"If you look at Rosemead and Concord, they're both blue-collar markets with a little bit less average household income," he said. "So we're not in that $90,000 to $120,000 income range. We're in the ($50,000 to $60,000) range. We're targeted there now."

UFC Gym representative Adam Sedlack said a basic membership at the gym costs around $35 per month while a membership that includes MMA training costs about $90 per month.

"We definitely have our share of UFC enthusiasts, Sedlack said of the gym's current membership base. "We're also getting a lot of the soccer moms and kids."

A fitness industry veteran, Sedlack said the UFC Gym enrollment numbers are "well above expectations" compared with many large fitness chains.

On Monday the UFC announced the opening of a 45,000-square-foot facility located in Corona, Calif., which is its third location. It recently a opened the facility in nearby Rosemead, as well.

"We have very aggressive expectations of being in Hawaii soon," Sedlack added.

UFC president Dana White said there are also international expansion plans for UFC Gym locations.

"The reality is that mixed martial arts is the new martial art," White told MMAjunkie.com. "When we were growing up, we would take karate or kung fu or taekwondo, (but) this is the new martial art. It's going to educate a lot of people about this sport and the athletes."

UFC fighters will be regular guests of the gym and conduct seminars on a variety of topics pertinent to MMA, according to Mastrov.

"We're going to take the best of that world and put it inside the general fitness club," he said. "This is all about a unique training experience that's supplemented with cardio and some strength training.

"Ninety-nine percent of the people aren't going to fight. They're just inspired by these guys who are amazing athletes."

MMA_scientist
10-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Only total morons or douchebags or teenagers are actually going to "train UFC."

This is destined to fail and fail massively.

Luke
10-20-2010, 01:27 PM

+1

MMA_scientist
10-20-2010, 01:39 PM
I think the worst part about all of this is that it further reveals just exactly what the UFC/Spike think if thier fan base. They really do think that most MMA fans are drooling WWE idiots that just want to see a toughman brawl with knock out.

I remeber thinking this about a year ago when they were pimping "Blue Mountain State" really hard on all the UFC events. I was like "so this is what they think of their target audience." My experience has been that most MMA fans are actually not retards. There is certainly that element, as with any sport, but most enjoy the sport for the strategy and technical aspects as much as the brawling and blood.

BUt the UFC really does think we are all fucking tards.

SPX
10-20-2010, 01:41 PM

Eh, just because the UFC logo is attached doesn't mean that the instruction won't be good. It all depends on whether they bring in good trainers.

MMA_scientist
10-20-2010, 01:46 PM

Eh, just because the UFC logo is attached doesn't mean that the instruction won't be good. It all depends on whether they bring in good trainers.

I am sure they will bring it great trainers. But unless they are going to change the entire perception of training, no one is going to call that gym thier home. I am sure it will be as much about selling "I train UFC" shirts to people as it will be about actual training. I could see popping in for seminars. But training regularly at the UFC gym, no.

SPX
10-20-2010, 01:53 PM
I am sure they will bring it great trainers. But unless they are going to change the entire perception of training, no one is going to call that gym thier home. I am sure it will be as much about selling "I train UFC" shirts to people as it will be about actual training. I could see popping in for seminars. But training regularly at the UFC gym, no.

I would at least agree that it will have a very commercial feel to it, just like any business that's chain-based instead of locally owned. I think that if the students bond to their trainer/instructor, though, it won't matter much. I imagine the overall feel of any one of these UFC gyms would very greatly from one to the next.

Svino
10-20-2010, 04:14 PM

I thought you were going to say:

"Only total morons or douchebags or teenagers are actually going to 'train UFC.'

This is destined to succeed wildly."

MMA_scientist
10-20-2010, 04:22 PM
^ lol

Excellent and true. I stand corrected.

Mr. IWS
10-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Wont be long until one of the UFC Champs trains out of a UFC gym.

SPX
10-20-2010, 04:39 PM
All this about "training UFC" reminds me of a thread that popped up on Sherdog the other day. The guy said--and he had a source, if a questionable one--that the UFC has plans to move away from the "MMA" label and trademark the name "UFC combative sports" or some shit like that. This, presumably, would be to not only further influence the public to think of the UFC when they think of MMA, but also to get "UFC combative sports" legalized in places where "MMA" is illegal.

Mr. IWS
10-20-2010, 04:41 PM
All this about "training UFC" reminds me of a thread that popped up on Sherdog the other day. The guy said--and he had a source, if a questionable one--that the UFC has plans to move away from the "MMA" label and trademark the name "UFC combative sports" or some shit like that. This, presumably, would be to not only further influence the public to think of the UFC when they think of MMA, but also to get "UFC combative sports" legalized in places where "MMA" is illegal.

If they add 12-6 elbows and soccer kicks, Im all for it.

Ludo
10-20-2010, 08:41 PM

It's true, I read an article about this earlier. Let Me see if I can find it.

Ludo
10-20-2010, 08:42 PM
http://middleeasy.com/index.php?opti...atid=37:rumors

This really isn't that much of a shocker considering Dana White made UFC the 'unstoppable frate trane' that it is, but in getting the sport legalized/authorized in other parts of the world, Dana White (or more likely a collection of people) attempted to push something they've coined (and are in the process of trademarking) as 'UFC combative sports'. This would distinguish the UFC from 'MMA' and essentially greenlight 'UFC combative sports' under the UFC/ZUFFA banner in parts of the world where other MMA organizations can't host events. Some of you may be confused and granted, I'm not doing a great job explaining this, but in short, ZUFFA is trying to distinguish UFC from MMA and get 'UFC combative sports' legalized in certain local governments while 'MMA' would still be 'illegal'. Great business tactic if you want to dominate the sport. I'm sure I will receive a 'cease and desist' notification sometime this week regarding this 'rumor', so read it while you can.

SPX
10-20-2010, 09:14 PM
^^^ Interesting. Any idea how reliable that source is?

BTW, I also like this little addition:

I feel like a huge yenta telling you guys this, but here's the deal. Everyone has their own preference of the opposite sex, that's undeniable. We don't adhere to a carbon copy of the human body, and nether does Georges St. Pierre. Some of you out there already knew this, but GSP likes chicks that aren't -- skinny. The guy likes thick chicks and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. More power to him.

Ludo
10-20-2010, 09:28 PM
^^^ Interesting. Any idea how reliable that source is?

BTW, I also like this little addition:

I feel like a huge yenta telling you guys this, but here's the deal. Everyone has their own preference of the opposite sex, that's undeniable. We don't adhere to a carbon copy of the human body, and nether does Georges St. Pierre. Some of you out there already knew this, but GSP likes chicks that aren't -- skinny. The guy likes thick chicks and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. More power to him.

Honestly I'm not sure how reliable it is. I don't frequent Middle Easy. I saw it posted on one of the forums I do frequent but at this point it can only be a rumor I'm thinking because I haven't seen anything about it on the real reliable sites like Bloody Elbow, Sherdog, or Junkie yet.