PDA

View Full Version : Diego Wants To Fight At Both 155 and 170

SPX
10-25-2010, 01:59 PM
ANAHEIM, Calif. – For former UFC lightweight title challenger Diego Sanchez (22-4 MMA, 11-4 UFC), five months made all the difference in the world.

Following Sanchez's one-sided decision loss to British welterweight prospect John Hathaway at May's UFC 114 event, UFC president Dana White suggested "Nightmare" might be best served migrating back down to 155 pounds.

But after Sanchez turned in one of the grittiest performances of his career in a UFC 121 win over Paulo Thiago, White said the former winner of "The Ultimate Fighter" looks again like a monster at welterweight and should turn his focus there. Sanchez has a different perspective: Why not take them both on?

"I think it all just comes down to preparation and the decisions that you make and what you do in your training camp," Sanchez said. "My motto is, 'Just earn it.' Just earn the 'W,' and that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to work and earn the 'W.'

"Whatever weight class I fight at, as long as I earn it, I think I'll be fine fight at 155 or 170 (pounds)."

Sanchez first made the move to lightweight in February 2009 and responded immediately with a "Fight of the Night" win over Joe Stevenson and a 2009 World MMA Award-winning "Fight of the Year" victory over Clay Guida. But following a UFC 107 loss to B.J. Penn in his first bid for a UFC title, Sanchez admits he got a little off-course.

It was those indiscretions in his personal life and approach to training that ultimately led to his lethargic performance against Hathaway, Sanchez said.

That's all changed now, though, the 28-year-old insists.

"I cleaned my life up," Sanchez said. "I'm just focused on the things that matter, which is God, my family and my career. That's where I stand right now, and that's what got me to victory."

Sanchez also returned to the tutelage of the famed Greg Jackson, and the effects were evident in the decision win. After absorbing some early damage, the notoriously cerebral Sanchez made the necessary adjustments in his attack, and his mental toughness became the difference in the fight as the momentum swung quickly in his direction for the two brutal remaining rounds.

"[Sanchez] had it put to him in the first round," White said when recalling the fight. "He came out in the second round, took some big punches and just kept moving forward. He's just one of these guys that stays in your face, is incredibly aggressive and will outwork you every day of the week.

"Personally, I think he looks better at 170 than 155. ... I think Diego is strong at 170 pounds."

White clarified that the decision is entirely up to Sanchez and his camp as to which division in which to compete next. Still basking in the glow of an outstanding and gutsy performance (not to mention his third "Fight of the Night" bonus in his past five trips to the cage), Sanchez refused to limit the possibilities.

"I just want to fight the best matchups that are going to give the fans the best fights and move me up the ladder in mixed martial arts and this organization," Sanchez said. "That's what I want to do, whether it be 155 or 170 (pounds).

"I'm willing to sacrifice, make dedication, and put my heart and soul in this game."

SPX
10-25-2010, 02:35 PM
I think Diego would be good at any weight, but not champion at either. He impressively ran through Stevenson and Guida before getting raped by Penn, and he has a great list of accomplishments at 170 and he can include beating Paulo Thiago on that list now.

I think that he'll lose to the top guys either way, but there are interesting fights on both sides of the coin.

Sanchez v Florian is sounding pretty good right about now.

SPX
10-25-2010, 04:16 PM
From Wiki:

"Diego is a devout follower of personal power guru Tony Robbins’ teachings and occasional meditation sessions in the rain and the ocean, which he believes allows him to absorb energy from the elements."

SPX
10-25-2010, 04:30 PM
zY is a tremendous fan of cocks.

SPX
10-25-2010, 04:40 PM
PP and zY are secret gay lovers.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that. . .)

SPX
10-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Scientist likes the new gay judo for one very good reason.

I'll let you figure it out.

SPX
10-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Ludo and Luke both have wonderful moms.

And I will probably soon be both their dads.

SPX
10-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Svino's knowledge of mathematics is ridiculous, and the sure sign of a virgin.

Advice: More pussy, less calculus.

Luke
10-25-2010, 05:13 PM
^^^^ whats wrong with this guy???

Did he just break the record for most posts by no one other than himself in a thread?

Or is that still held by one of my boxing threads?

SPX
10-25-2010, 05:20 PM
About time someone said something.

I come in her with some perfectly good information on Diego Sanchez and no one gives a fuck. What the fuck is that shit about?

Mr. IWS
10-25-2010, 05:25 PM
^^^^ whats wrong with this guy???

Did he just break the record for most posts by no one other than himself in a thread?

Or is that still held by one of my boxing threads?

I popped in about 6 times, I was seeing how long he was gonna go. LOL

Dissapointed I wasnt insulted here. ::thumbdown::

Luke
10-25-2010, 05:26 PM
About time someone said something.

I come in her with some perfectly good information on Diego Sanchez and no one gives a fuck. What the fuck is that shit about?

Sorry sometimes I actually spend my work days working and dont have a chance to get on here till I get home

I'm here now ::thumbup::

zY|
10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
It was more fun back when we were ignoring him.

SPX
10-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Dissapointed I wasnt insulted here. ::thumbdown::

I was saving you for last, motherfucker.

SPX
10-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Sorry sometimes I actually spend my work days working and dont have a chance to get on here till I get home

I'm here now ::thumbup::

Working at work is lame.

But welcome.

Luke
10-25-2010, 05:31 PM
It was more fun back when we were ignoring him.

Sorry I spoiled the party .I thought he was having issuses and might be in need of help.

As for Diego I dont care where he fights.He'll never be a champ at either weight so ..........