zY|
10-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Bam.

That just happened.

SPX
10-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Holy shit!!!!!!

So it's finally happening. . .

This is serious news. It's going to be interesting to see how it all works out. I'm going to assume that this means no flyweight division.

BTW, Dana looks huge.

Luke
10-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Bam.

That just happened.

You're the one that told me this kind of thing just doesnt happen overnight .

Me Oct 2:

There are talks starting about Aldo moving up in weight to fight Edgar.

Why not just merge WEC and the UFC?

I'm sure they'd love to and it's probably in the works, but the logistics aren't there right now and these things take time. Contracts, cable deals, you can't just magically make shit like that happen.

^^^^ It took 3 weeks good call ::thumbup::

SPX
10-28-2010, 01:09 PM
LOL

zY|
10-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Bam.

That just happened.

Me Oct 2:

I'm sure they'd love to and it's probably in the works, but the logistics aren't there right now and these things take time. Contracts, cable deals, you can't just magically make shit like that happen.

Oh good call. It happened overnight. That's why you were whining about it taking 3 years.

Mr. IWS
10-28-2010, 01:19 PM
When I first looked at this, I thought it said UFC/WWE merged.

Svino
10-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Bleh. As someone who doesn't pay much attention to the lighter weight classes, I really didn't want them to do this.

SPX
10-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Bleh. As someone who doesn't pay much attention to the lighter weight classes, I really didn't want them to do this.

What's wrong with you?

The WEC puts on some of the best events in the history of MMA. . .

Svino
10-28-2010, 01:31 PM
You're right, I won't deny that I have seen some pretty exciting fights in the WEC. I think there's just that little part of me that still feels that true MMA should be open-weight, and that the further down you get from heavyweight, the more lame it seems.

SPX
10-28-2010, 01:36 PM
The problem with that is that, while it's an understandable sentiment, there's just no way fighters like Faber or Aldo would ever be able to compete against guys the size of Fedor or Carwin.

So, despite the fact that they're tremendously skilled, they'd just get left out in the cold. I'd rather make the compromise and get to see them do their thing.

poopoo333
10-28-2010, 01:56 PM
So is Edgar going to drop to 145 once Maynard beats him?

MMA_scientist
10-28-2010, 02:20 PM
I am with Svino. I wish this did not happen.

reasons:

The lighter weight classes are going to get less exposure. Trying to cram all these fighters onto a card means only bigger names are going to make the cards.

Unless the UFC adds events, we are going to get fewer overall fights. No more Wednesday MMA.

The UFC roster is already too full, and some guys I like to watch fight are not kept busy enough. Now they will be even less busy.

Bad for everyone except Faber, Aldo and a few other big names at lightwe weight classes.

Unless of course they just add more events, then it equals win.

poopoo333
10-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Jose Aldo set to Defend UFC Featherweight Title at UFC 125

During a conference call to formally announce the merger, UFC president Dana White confirmed that Aldo would defend the featherweight championship at UFC 125 on January 1.

White didn't name a challenger, saying that the promotion is still working on an opponent, but he sounded definitive of Aldo participating in the annual New Year's weekend event. The Jan. 1 card will also mark the first time the UFC and WEC are merged.

WEC 53: Ben Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis Winner Gets UFC Title Shot

Dana White confirmed that the winner of the Dec. 16 lightweight title fight between WEC champion Ben Henderson and top contender Anthony Pettis live on VERSUS will take on the winner of the UFC 125 main event title bout between champion Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard. This upcoming fight will serve as a UFC lightweight title unification bout to be held next year.

Svino
10-28-2010, 02:35 PM
So, despite the fact that they're tremendously skilled, they'd just get left out in the cold. I'd rather make the compromise and get to see them do their thing.

Yeah, I realize they do add to the sport, we get to see different styles from the lighter guys, and so on. There will just always be that part of me that thinks they should be hanging out with all the short guys who are great at basketball.

Even when I do want to watch smaller fighters, I think having extra weight classes dilutes the product a little. IMO, when guys are bouncing back and forth between classes to try to cherry-pick their opponents, you've got too many weight classes. I know this isn't totally under the UFC's control, but I would have rather see 5 weight classes expanded, than 7 classes.

And I do wonder who's going to go down to 145. I bet quite a few people will.

SPX
10-28-2010, 02:41 PM
To Scientist:

If you watch the interview, Dana says that there will be more events.

To PP:

Good job on the news on this. Definitely looking forward to UFC 125 now.

SPX
10-28-2010, 02:42 PM
I wonder if this means the WEC guys are going to make a lot more money now.

Luke
10-28-2010, 02:50 PM
I wonder if this means the WEC guys are going to make a lot more money now.

If you mean by more money a raise from 2k per fight to 3k then yes

MMA_scientist
10-28-2010, 02:52 PM
To Scientist:

If you watch the interview, Dana says that there will be more events.

Ah. Did not watch it, I can't stand to listen to Dana talk for more than 3 or 4 seconds.

I retract my negativity as long as they add at least enough events to get in an additional 60 fights (about 5 events).

Luke
10-28-2010, 02:58 PM
[quote="zY|":11kfnpco]Bam.

That just happened.

Me Oct 2:

Oh good call. It happened overnight. That's why you were whining about it taking 3 years.[/quote:11kfnpco]

Lol

zy= gives everyone shit but cant take a little.

You acted like I was crazy when I said just merge the UFC and WEC 3 weeks ago saying its just not that easy and its not the right time . Well apparently it is that easy and it is the right time.

I was just giving you shit

Its ok to admit when your wrong zy lol

Luke
10-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Personally I think this was a great idea and I'm glad they did it . I never understood the point of them being seperate to begin with

SPX
10-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Ah. Did not watch it, I can't stand to listen to Dana talk for more than 3 or 4 seconds.

I retract my negativity as long as they add at least enough events to get in an additional 60 fights (about 5 events).

Dana's actually pretty well behaved this time and it's a good interview. You should check it out.

As for events, Dana said that VS is going to get a total of 4 UFC events a year, instead of 2. And he talked a lot about the global expansion and how the UFC is on the verge of going into China and other countries, and obviously that also will mean more events as well.

SPX
10-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Personally I think this was a great idea and I'm glad they did it . I never understood the point of them being seperate to begin with

Well the WEC used to be an independent organization. But once Zuffa bought them I'm sure they knew the plan would be to eventually merge everything. zY is probably right though insofar as something like that really does not happen overnight.

Ludo
10-28-2010, 03:05 PM
I think it was about developing talent. Think about some of the guys they have brought over. Sonnen, Irvin, Condit, etc etc etc.

On another note: Flyweight? Is there even an american market for it yet?

Ludo
10-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Think about this though, purely from a fan standpoint this couldn't be better. With seven titles there can effectively be a title fight almost every pay per view, and at least once a month barring serious injury(in which case we can see interim situations that sort of cover the bases).

Luke
10-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Well the WEC used to be an independent organization. But once Zuffa bought them I'm sure they knew the plan would be to eventually merge everything. zY is probably right though insofar as something like that really does not happen overnight.

I know they were seperate but once Zuffa bought them I never understood why to keep the seperate.

I know this didnt happen overnight I'm just giving zy shit because when I asked about it 3 weeks ago he acted like it wasnt happening and couldnt anytime soon.

Its fun teasing zy ::thumbup::

Luke
10-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Think about this though, purely from a fan standpoint this couldn't be better. With seven titles there can effectively be a title fight almost every pay per view, and at least once a month barring serious injury(in which case we can see interim situations that sort of cover the bases).

Thats kind of my thinking . I dont see a downside to this at all.

More weight classes= more fighters

more fighters =more fights

more fights = more cards

more cards = more free televised cards

::thumbup::

Luke
10-28-2010, 03:12 PM
On another note since this is the big news does that mean there will be no UFC channel and ESPN is yet wrong again?

Ludo
10-28-2010, 03:13 PM

Thats kind of my thinking . I dont see a downside to this at all.

More weight classes= more fighters

more fighters =more fights

more fights = more cards

more cards = more free televised cards

::thumbup::

Also, I imagine most of the upper tier WEC guys will be seeing a boost in pay seeing as the most I've ever seen one of them rake in was like $12,000 or something.

SPX
10-28-2010, 03:14 PM
On another note: Flyweight? Is there even an american market for it yet?

The PFC had a flyweight division and Rambaa Somdet even fought in one of their events a year or so ago. Not sure if their successor (Tachi Palace Fights) continues to maintain that division or not. I think one of our local orgs here in Utah also has a flyweight division as well.

I figure there are guys out there to fill with. I weighed 120 lbs all through high school and my first stint of college and could make that weight again if I wanted to, so I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there who have put the time into MMA training and would like to fight pro. And there's also a lot of international talent to pull from as well.

SPX
10-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Also, I imagine most of the upper tier WEC guys will be seeing a boost in pay seeing as the most I've ever seen one of them rake in was like $12,000 or something.

I think Faber made $41K one event. I believe that's the highest number I've seen.

Luke
10-28-2010, 03:17 PM

More than likely.

I dont see why anyone wouldnt be interested in the little guys ,heck the top draws in boxing are 130 lb -154lb fighters and I wont be surprised in a few years if thats not the case in the UFC.

I think these guys being under the UFC name now will make alot of them superstars.

I mean would you rather see two bigger guys go full out for 3 minutes and then gas out and lay on each other for the next 2 rounds or watch Garcia-Korean zombie?

Ludo
10-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Honestly I don't know why the UFC would create they're own network. For one it stretches them too thin with obligations to Versus and Spike. Spike gets something like 6-7 free cards a year, Versus is getting 2 right now but getting 4 next year. Thats 11 events next year just in non pay per views. They usually put on about 16 pay per views or so each year so we're looking at almost 30 events in a calender year already, unless they plan to only put a few events on the network each year to start(which is a waste of time really) I don't know if it's even in the works yet. I'm sure they have a mind to do something like that a few years down the road so they can drop Versus and Spike and just run shit on Pay Per View and then UFCBS.

And about the Flyweight thing: I was wondering if we had any domestic fighters to inject into the class. First and foremost the UFC is an American company with a primarily american fanbase, without anyone to cheer for a 125lb weight class won't get off the ground here. I know there are plenty of 125lb fighters in Asia and whatnot but americans will want to see someone they can relate with in there at least some of the time to keep them interested. Also I've not seen any Flyweight fights yet but I would be worried that at that size finishes might be an issue. Am I wrong?

SPX
10-28-2010, 03:30 PM
And about the Flyweight thing: I was wondering if we had any domestic fighters to inject into the class. First and foremost the UFC is an American company with a primarily american fanbase, without anyone to cheer for a 125lb weight class won't get off the ground here. I know there are plenty of 125lb fighters in Asia and whatnot but americans will want to see someone they can relate with in there at least some of the time to keep them interested. Also I've not seen any Flyweight fights yet but I would be worried that at that size finishes might be an issue. Am I wrong?

Well, here's the flyweight fighters in our local org:

http://ucombat.com/fighters.php

I figure if we have some, then plenty of other orgs around the country will have some. I'd imagine that you could go around and grab the best of them and then you'd have a solid division of capable fighters.

As for finishes, you're probably correct, but we see KOs/TKOs in BW fights, and that's only 10 pounds up. And if nothing else, there's always subs, which has nothing to do with weight.

zY|
10-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Lol

zy= gives everyone shit but cant take a little.

You acted like I was crazy when I said just merge the UFC and WEC 3 weeks ago saying its just not that easy and its not the right time . Well apparently it is that easy and it is the right time.

I was just giving you shit

Its ok to admit when your wrong zy lol

It's not my fault you have rocks for brains.

zY|
10-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Also, I can't believe some of you are complaining about this. Lighter weight fighters are the fucking shit. If I wanted to masturbate to oily big muscled clumsy and unskilled men I'd just watch WWE.

zY|
10-28-2010, 04:33 PM
BTW the best part of this that Britney Palmer is p4p hottest ring girl. Maybe they'll dump Chandzilla.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pBWa31-QiJk/S9LODCbdU_I/AAAAAAAABlc/Y2BaIn8RskI/s640/Brittney+Palmer.jpg

http://photos.mmaweekly.com/gallery/WEC/WEC_44/weigh/32-BrittneyPalmerWEC44w_6217.jpg

Luke
10-28-2010, 05:05 PM
^^^^ never heard of her

Luke
10-28-2010, 05:14 PM
It's not my fault you have rocks for brains.

You're one of those people that cant admit to being wrong arent you ?

I can ,I admitted I was wrong about Brock beatin Cain and even congratulated you.

I was just giving you a hard time in the first post but now your acting like a weasel .

Svino
10-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Also, I can't believe some of you are complaining about this. Lighter weight fighters are the fucking shit. If I wanted to masturbate to oily big muscled clumsy and unskilled men I'd just watch WWE.

[Shrug] Matter of taste, I guess. I would rather see just about any fight I've ever watched from top heavies like Fedor, Cain, Lesnar, Carwin, or Overeem, than 5 rounds of hummingbird kickboxing.

Another thing: I hate when fights go to decision, and generally lighter weights mean more decisions.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/10/1/17 ... ight-class (http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/10/1/1721043/ufc-by-numbers-finishing-rates-and-weight-class)

This result might not extend down past lightweight *yet*. But if it doesn't, it probably will eventually after more good fighters populate the weight classes.

zY|
10-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Of course championship HW matches are great, but there's nothing worse than watching fat guys with no technique gas out in the first round. WEC consistently puts on the very best MMA shows imo. I can't remember the last snoozer card there was.

Also, those decision stats simply seem to show that the more competitive weight classes, WW, LW, and LHW have the most decisions. That's what I get out of it. MW and HW are shit divisions, and have more finishes.

Luke
10-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Of course championship HW matches are great, but there's nothing worse than watching fat guys with no technique gas out in the first round. .

I agree . Heck it isnt even just the HW's gassing the 205 and 185ers gas too.

I really think the UFC will follow boxing and in a few years the little guys will be the biggest stars

SPX
10-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Although there were hints of a big change on the horizon, the UFC/WEC merger caught many fight managers by surprise.

Of several prominent managers MMAjunkie.com spoke with, none were aware of concrete plans to fold WEC talent into the UFC.

As such, there are still questions to be answered about the fate of those under contract with the lighter-weighted promotion, namely whether they will reap the immediate financial benefits of fighting on a bigger stage.

"That's part of the unknown that we've got to sort through here," Mike Roberts, who represents WEC athletes such as former featherweight champion Urijah Faber, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com)).

UFC president Dana White announced today that the merger will take place in January 2011. WEC 52 and 53, scheduled for Nov. 11 and Dec. 16, respectively, will be the final events under the existing promotion.

He touted the merger as an opportunity for UFC fans to see the excitement that lighter-weight fighters bring to the cage, as well as a chance for those fighters to fight on the world's biggest MMA stage.

"Our goal is to build this sport worldwide and continue to add weight divisions until we have every single weight division in the UFC," White said.

There are approximately 70 athletes from the WEC's roster that will join the 200-plus already with the UFC, according to White.

Fighters from both promotions are under contract with Zuffa, LLC, which owns both the UFC and WEC.

White said WEC fighters should get a bump in pay when they cross over to the bigger promotion. When that takes place is up in the air.

It's assumed that fighters currently assigned to the WEC will fulfill their existing deals rather than renegotiate when the cross over to the UFC, according to the managers MMAjunkie.com spoke with.

"Nothing has been presented to us to the contrary," said manager Brian Hamper, who represents WEC athletes Donald Cerrone and Leonard Garcia, among others. "We have an agreement, and we're business as usual."

The UFC's "Fight Night" bonuses will likely prove immediately attractive to current WEC fighters. The UFC often offers up to $70,000 for a fight card's best knockout, submission and fight, while the WEC bonuses generally fall in the $10,000 range. Of course, with the prospect of bigger paydays, there's also hope of cutting new deals.

"There's no question that the guys in the UFC are making more money than the guys in the WEC," said manager Andy Beach, who represents former WEC bantamweight champ Brian Bowles.

Despite the bit of uncertainty, Roberts, Hamper and Beach are all excited at the promise of bringing their clients added exposure, which often translates to better earning opportunities both inside and outside the cage. White today announced that the WEC's current television partner, Versus channel, will air four UFC events in 2011, up from two this year. Additionally, a Spike TV official said the network plans to air at least eight UFC events in 2011.

So while WEC fighters will now compete for airtime with their UFC counterparts, the value of the exposure could increase.

"More viewers watch the UFC than WEC, no matter what channel it's on," Roberts said. "I think it will be status quo. If you perform, you're going to get exposure. If you put Urijah on pay-per-view, he's going to be a lot more eyes than a show on Versus."

That's why today's merger announcement is one of those good surprises.

"There's no doubt you have great talent at the lighter weightclasses, and I think it's been something that's been long overdue," Beach said.

SPX
10-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Reed Harris has come a long way from Lemoore, Calif.

The World Extreme Cagefighting co-founder and general manager – who started the fight promotion in 2001 as a potential one-and-done gig – has managed the growth of the company from its time as a fledgling regional promotion to its current role as the home of the sport's best lighter-weight fighters.

But with today's announcement that the UFC will absorb the WEC beginning in 2011, is Harris perhaps a bit saddened by the dissolution of the brand he helped create?

Not one bit.

"When I started the WEC, we thought we'd maybe do one show," Harris told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com)). "To be sitting here today and have something that I was involved in become part of the biggest sports company in the world is very satisfying.

"It's kind of like when your kids go to college. At first, you're concerned, but then after they leave, it's pretty great."

While MMA pundits and fans alike have long called for the two sister promotions to unify, both UFC and WEC brass have long declined to discuss the possibility. With the dream concept now a reality, Harris says the merger is a winning proposition for all involved.

"This is something we've been planning for a while," Harris said. "They way we talked about it when we did the planning was that our fights were so good and so dynamic that these guys had to get on the big stage and open this up to all the MMA fans in the world. There's no bigger stage than the UFC.

"Everybody is really, really excited about it. I think the fighters are going to be as excited as we are, and it's just going to be great for everyone involved."

While UFC officials will certainly benefit from the additional marquee matchups created by the adoption of the WEC's bantamweight and featherweight divisions, it's unquestionably the fighters that stand to gain the most. WEC stars like Jose Aldo, Dominick Cruz, Urijah Faber and Miguel Torres will benefit from the increased exposure commanded by the UFC logo, and bigger paydays will undoubtedly follow.

While Harris is happy with the progress those fighters made under the WEC banner, he believes they will flourish even further with the new arrangement.

"All along, our goal was to really build and have people identify with the lighter-weight fighters," Harris said. "We worked really hard on that, and like (UFC president) Dana White said, it's just time (to merge) with the expansion of the UFC and expanding into international markets.

"We knew that we would need to grow the UFC brand, as well. What better way than to add these two weight divisions, and as Dana said possibly even another weight division (flyweights) at some point."

Harris said he's actually been somewhat pleased by MMA pundits' calls for a merger between the two promotions. While the WEC hasn't been able to match the viewership and attendance numbers of the UFC, the smaller promotion's fighters delivered with in-cage performances that often eclipsed those of their UFC counterparts.

"The thing that I'm most proud of is that no one has argued with me that these guys aren't ready to go to that next level," Harris said. "Everyone is saying Jose Aldo, Urijah Faber, Dominick Cruz, all these guys are ready to show their skills on the world's biggest stage, which is the UFC."

White announced today that WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is now the UFC's first-ever 145-pound title holder and will make his UFC debut in January. WEC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz defends his title against Scott Jorgensen at the final WEC event in company history, WEC 53 in December, and the winner will also become a UFC champion.

Meanwhile, the WEC lightweight belt is up for grabs in the WEC 53 bout between Ben Henderson and Anthony Pettis, while the UFC's 155-pound title is on the line at UFC 125 when Frankie Edgar meets Gray Maynard. That leaves a future lightweight title unification bout between the WEC and UFC champions as what will likely prove the final step in the dissolution of Harris' promotion.

So will Harris be cheering – at least on the inside – for "his guy" to win the fight?

"Of course I'll be cheering for the WEC guys," Harris said with a laugh. "Both Maynard and Edgar are friends of mine, so it will be tempered.

"I've done this long enough to know that whoever wins deserves it, but I can't lie to you. Both Pettis and Henderson are guys that we brought in that no one knew prior to them joining the WEC. I'm very proud of the fact that both have them have been able to get to the level where I think either one of them can go in and take the UFC title."

As for Harris' own future, the WEC co-founder says he's not ready to discuss that just yet. There are two more WEC events on the horizon, and with today's news, each of them has become even more significant.

"At this point, I'm not able to discuss my role because we're going to focus on November and December," Harris. "Now these fights take on a whole new importance – obviously for the fighters and our organization.

"In November, we've got Takeya Mizugaki fighting Urijah Faber at WEC 52, and obviously that's a fight that has title implications at some point in the future, and now those implications are for the UFC title. We've got two title fights in December at WEC 53, and now those kind of take on a new role. I'm focused on that, and I think in January we'll probably announce what I'm doing."

That said, Harris is all smiles as he considers what the future may hold for him and the new-look UFC.

"The WEC was literally so successful that there was no other option but to move it into the UFC and expand this huge sports brand that is the UFC," Harris said. "I'm can't wait for UFC fans to witness the action we've had for years in the WEC. As anyone who has watched these lighter-weight fighters will tell you, when these guys step into the cage, they let it fly."