PDA

View Full Version : Toney-Rampage next..

Luke
12-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Toney urges Rampage to step up to the plate

Talk of a blockbuster showdown between Quinton Rampage Jackson and James Toney is growing after Toney told the former UFC light-heavyweight champion to "sign the contract" following a public war of words.

Jackson is one of several MMA fighters mocked by Toney in recent weeks, with the champion boxer claiming Rampage could not even sell out UFC 123 in Detroit.

A response was issued by Jackson on Inside MMA, where he stated: "I want to fight James Toney. He's been talking a lot of crap about me". Jackson went on to promise that he would knock Toney out.

UFC president Dana White had previously stated that he was "done" with what have been dubbed 'freak show' fights, after Toney's lack of wrestling was embarrassingly shown up by Randy Couture on his UFC debut in Boston. However, Jackson is promising to stand with "Lights Out", and Toney is urging Rampage to back up his words with action.

"The only thing that the Fake Mr T has to do is sign the contract," Toney was quoted as saying by FightHype. "Rampage is a decent club fighter but if he thinks his club fighting style can match my skills, then he is crazy as hell."

Jackson beat Lyoto Machida in his last encounter, taking a narrow decision, and he was widely expected to provide the next challenge to champion Mauricio Shogun Rua, if the Brazilian overcomes Rashad Evans. However, with that fight unlikely to happen until at least March, Rampage could be heading for what would surely prove a pay-per-view dream for the UFC.

"Is he mad because I called him an Uncle Tom or because I said Detroit wouldn't accept him?" laughed Toney. "I will go on record and say he is not dumb enough to stand and trade with me.

"Machida almost knocked him out, so what do you think I would do to him? I ain't hard to find; sign the contract."

God I hope not .

Toney called Rampage uncle Tom ::lmao::

SPX
12-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Shit, I'd watch it.

I wonder if we'd see the return of Slampage.

MMA_scientist
12-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I like a freakshow, but if the UFC does this, they are not even trying to be a legitimate sport anymore. Why do they keep letting Toney play them?

sbjj
12-06-2010, 04:29 PM
If Rampage actually stood with Toney, He would get knocked out.

Rampage would have to be the dumbest man on the planet to do that. Wait?

MMA_scientist
12-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Seriously, it is not even interesting to me. A, old boxer versus a guy that boxes in MMA. If they are going to give him another fight (no idea why they would), at least give him someone that kicks so we can see something interesting.

Mr. IWS
12-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Sapp vs Lesnar next?

SPX
12-06-2010, 04:34 PM
I like a freakshow, but if the UFC does this, they are not even trying to be a legitimate sport anymore. Why do they keep letting Toney play them?

I don't know that that's a fair comment.

Does it have to be all or nothing? Can't you have the occasional "freakshow" mixed in with the other 95% of your legitimate matchups?

Besides, as long as there's no pre-determined outcome then it's still a legitimate sport.

SPX
12-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Seriously, it is not even interesting to me. A, old boxer versus a guy that boxes in MMA. If they are going to give him another fight (no idea why they would), at least give him someone that kicks so we can see something interesting.

Give him JDS!

Of if it has to be an LHW, give him Shogun in a non-title fight.

Luke
12-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Give him JDS!

Of if it has to be an LHW, give him Shogun in a non-title fight.

Seriously X? Shogun or JDS? The 205 champ or the guy ranked #2 at HW?

Those sound like real competitive matchups

SPX
12-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Seriously X? Shogun or JDS? The 205 champ or the guy ranked #2 at HW?

Those sound like real competitive matchups

I was half-joking. But Scientist asked for a kicker. I guess JDS really doesn't kick that much, though.

Luke
12-06-2010, 04:51 PM

I don't know that that's a fair comment.

Does it have to be all or nothing? Can't you have the occasional "freakshow" mixed in with the other 95% of your legitimate matchups?

Besides, as long as there's no pre-determined outcome then it's still a legitimate sport.

It is one or the other imo. Either you want to be a legit sport or you dont. You dont see any other sports bringing in scrubs that have never trained in their sport before

It all goes back to whether the UFC wants to be a sport or in the entertainment business .I honestly dont care either way

Mr. IWS
12-06-2010, 04:54 PM
You dont see any other sports bringing in scrubs

Redskins brought in McNabb though. ::swifty::

SPX
12-06-2010, 04:55 PM
It is one or the other imo. Either you want to be a legit sport or you dont. You dont see any other sports bringing in scrubs that have never trained in their sport before

It all goes back to whether the UFC wants to be a sport or in the entertainment business .I honestly dont care either way

I think it goes back to how not everyone will be a champ.

Spencer Fisher vs Sam Stout has little to do with title contention. But it was a decent, crowd-pleasing scrap. Was it not legitimate because neither guy will ever be champ?

Same with guys like Marcus Davis, Lytle, etc. These guys aren't going to hold the belt. But they put on a good show.

I think it can be both sport and sports entertainment.

Honestly, if it's not entertaining then I'm not watching.

Mr. IWS
12-06-2010, 04:57 PM
For me, I always like a good freak show. I can see both sides of the argument though.

Luke
12-06-2010, 05:00 PM
You dont see any other sports bringing in scrubs

Redskins brought in McNabb though. ::swifty::

::lmao:: lol true

zY|
12-06-2010, 05:13 PM
LOL. Rampage would throw him on his head so fast. This is even less intriguing than the Couture fight because he at least had the outside shot of knocking Randy out if he hit him right.

Johnny Unreliable
12-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Seriously. Rampage has a great chin and Toney hasn't ever been a KO puncher.

poopoo333
12-06-2010, 11:25 PM
This won't even happen.

Dr_Ngo
12-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Toney got paid $500k to fight with Couture, no fucking way Dana's wasting $ again.