PDA

View Full Version : Chael Sonnen appreciation thread

Mr. IWS
12-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Cause dis dude got me geekin this morning on twitter.

Directed at Wandy

You're lucky your brother Joe's the matchmaker or you'd be sellin' barbecued monkey on the street in Manaus.

If it wasn't for me, you would be thrashing around the jungle w/a blowgun trying' to catch breakfast.

You look like Lisa Rinna w/a Leprechaun beard, you fool.

Ya looked like Tammy Faye Baker. I went easy so that new face of yours wouldn't fall off.

All broken pieces of Wand will be half off on Greenlightdaily.com. Where ya at little guy, worried that I'll understand you this time?

Listen punk. If you see me out onna "stroll" keep your eyes to the curb, or I'll take my boot off and beat you with it like Ike did Tina.

Mr. IWS
12-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Maybe I'll wait outside your Physical Therapist's office and throw you in the dumpster for laughs..

Kinda dumb, but it had me laughing.

Mr. IWS
01-06-2011, 10:53 AM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

http://www.tmz.com/2011/01/04/ufc-suspends-ex-champ-chael-sonnen-dana-white-money-laundering/

Just yesterday, Sonnen pled guilty to money laundering in connection with mortgage fraud -- and now UFC president Dana White tells us Sonnen's contract has been temporarily "frozen."

But White isn't turning his back on one of his most famous fighters -- Dana tells us, "Chael Sonnen has gone through a lot in the last few months and we think it's important for him to focus on getting his personal life together before focusing on his career in the UFC."

White adds, "I spoke with Chael earlier today and he agrees that setting priorities in his life is the best thing for him right now. I sincerely hope Chael is able to straighten out his personal life."

Sonnen has reportedly struck a plea deal in his money laundering case -- and is expected to receive two years probation and a $10,000 fine.

Not sure how reliable TMZ is with MMA news, but whatev.......

Luke
01-06-2011, 12:12 PM
I saw this yesterday ,hell I thought I posted it .......god I'm losing it lately

Mr. IWS
03-04-2011, 01:35 PM
I love this guy

Fighters Only spoke to Chael Sonnen today to confirm that his suspension is now expired. The recent middleweight title contender confirmed that it is, and that he is now able to compete in mixed martial arts under any athletic commission.

The conversation also touched on this past weekend’s fight between Michael Bisping and Jorge Rivera, and of course the post-fight aftermath which left Bisping facing disciplinary measures at the hands of the UFC.

“I did see Michael Bisping's fight, and I was very disappointed in his behaviour. Spitting on Jorge Riviera's cornermen brought disgrace to himself, to the sport, and to all fighters, me included. That's why, first and foremost, Michael Bisping owes ME an apology,” Sonnen said.

“As someone with much more experience than him, at a much higher level of competition, I am his superior and his behavior warrants an apology to me. Now you might say that's a bit of abstract reasoning... but there's another reason he better apologize to me first, and it has to do with his own self-interest.

“I happen to know, from one of my very highly-placed sources at the UFC, that Michael Bisping's ‘goodwill account’ is seriously overdrawn with the company. He's on very thin ice wearing really sharp skates, if you know what I mean. So, there are only TWO possible outcomes for him: He can fight ME, or he can get released.

“He needs to fight me to keep his job. But...and this is a big but...I don't HAVE to fight Michael Bisping to keep MY job. If I decide not to fight him, they'll set me up with some other contender I can ridicule, then pound into fine powder. But Bisping's got me, or he's GONE. I hold the "whip hand" in this deal; so if he wants to feed his family without going on the ‘dole’ (UK slang for welfare -ed.), he better apologize.

“Once he agrees to do that, I'll decide what form his apology should take. I may want a singing apology. I may want him to choreograph and perform a little "apology dance". I may make him kiss my ring like I'm the Pope, or kneel before me like I'm the King and he's being knighted. I'm not sure what I'll decide on...but he does owe me an apology.”

MMA_scientist
03-07-2011, 11:38 AM
I actually think Bisping would have a good chance at beating Sonnen, so I would like to see that fight. I despise them both, but I despise Sonnen more. Since he is obviously scared that the UFC is going to match him with Belfort or Maia, he is trying to hype his way into a fight he thinks he can win. But I think Bisping would give him trouble personally.

Svino
03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Really? I think Sonnen might have an easier time with Belfort than with Bisping. He beats both, though.

On the other hand, I'd love to see Belfort smash Bisping's face in.

MMA_scientist
03-07-2011, 11:50 AM
I think Belfort would kill Sonnen in Linland like fashion. But I still don't think Sonnen is massively overrated.

SPX
03-07-2011, 11:59 AM
On the other hand, I'd love to see Belfort smash Bisping's face in.

Me too.

We'll see what happens. There's like 12 people calling out Bisping and 32 calling out Tito.

edman5555
03-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Sonnen easily beats Bisping. Sonnen has a good chin and Bisping isn't exactly a big power hitter. Sonnen/Belfort is a lot harder to judge.

edman5555
03-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Sonnen would take him down easy because of the power/chin thing I mentioned.

Mr. IWS
04-01-2011, 02:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/TOfBJ.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/w813sl.jpg

SPX
04-01-2011, 03:14 PM
LOL

I seriously want to know what he weighs right now, because he does look straight huge in that picture.

poopoo333
04-02-2011, 11:15 AM
http://diazbrothers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/IMG_6535-682x1024.jpg

edman5555
04-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Bisping has good takedown D but I don't think it's enough to stop Sonnen.

Thewisemann
04-02-2011, 01:17 PM
i would bet my whole bankroll on Sonnen vs Bisping

Luke
04-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Bisping has good takedown D but I don't think it's enough to stop Sonnen.

good takedown D? compared to what?

poopoo333
04-02-2011, 10:58 PM
good takedown D? compared to what?

Bad takedown D

Luke
04-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Bad takedown D

You think Bisping has good takedown D?

poopoo333
04-02-2011, 11:42 PM
You think Bisping has good takedown D?

Not really. I've never seen the Bisping vs Hamill fight, I forgot most of the Rashad/Bisping fight, and I recall Dan Miller taking Bisping down in the 3rd round when he finally went for it. But I really don't know what to judge Bisping's TDD on

Luke
04-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Well I dont think he has good takedown defense, but what do I know?

poopoo333
04-03-2011, 12:43 AM
I think Sonnen is going to win easily. Bisping's only chance is a submission

Thewisemann
04-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Sonnen will ragdoll Bisping for 3 rds. He may even TKO him.

Mr. IWS
05-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Looks like they are making an example out of Chael. I kinda feel bad for him, sounds like he was begging for forgiveness. I would have loved to see Him and Bisping on Tuf.

LOS ANGELES -- The California State Athletic Commission voted 4-1 on Wednesday to uphold an indefinite suspension of middleweight Chael Sonnen (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Chael-Sonnen-4112). The decision effectively eliminates the possibility that Sonnen will be allowed to coach on the next season of “The Ultimate Fighter” opposite Michael Bisping (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Michael-Bisping-10196), with Sonnen and his attorneys arguing prior to the ruling that it could signify the end of his MMA career.

On April 19, the commission announced that Sonnen was indefinitely suspended for two violations of the California Code of Regulations, Title 4, Section 390. The section holds that licensees for boxing and MMA may have their licenses revoked for conduct which discredits their sport. Sonnen was found to have violated the section by making untruthful statements under oath at a Dec. 2 hearing and for pleading guilty to a charge of money laundering in the state of Oregon on April 8.

Sonnen’s difficulties with the commission began last August when he tested positive for an elevated testosterone level prior to his fight with Anderson Silva (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Anderson-Silva-1356). Sonnen’s elevated testosterone and subsequent explanations became a source of great public scrutiny, but were largely irrelevant to today’s hearing.

Wednesday’s hearing focused specifically on the guilty plea for money laundering that came a month after his six month suspension was lifted as well as Sonnen’s specific remarks about alleged conversations with Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Officer Keith Kizer.

Karen Chappelle, the supervising deputy attorney general representing California, questioned whether Sonnen could be trusted to tell the truth. She labeled Sonnen’s money laundering conviction for knowingly issuing a kickback check a crime of deception and fraud. Additionally, she accused Sonnen of dishonesty in claiming that he had a conversation with Kizer which could only have taken place between Kizer and Sonnen’s then-manager, Matt Lindland (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Matt-Lindland-276), and may not have happened as Sonnen described.

Chappelle painted a portrait of Sonnen as a person who will say one thing and then readily change to another position if questioned on it. She thus argued against giving Sonnen another chance at this time.

“Everyone deserves a second chance. The question is: how many second chances?” Chappelle remarked during her opening statement.

Sonnen’s attorney, Steve Thompson, argued in response that the judge in the Oregon case gave Sonnen a lenient sentence because of his citizenship and remorse. He pointed to Sonnen’s community service and attached letters from parents whose children’s lives were positively impacted by Sonnen.

Regarding Sonnen’s comments about his alleged conversation with Kizer, Sonnen and his attorneys repeatedly focused on the adjective “imprecise” to describe Sonnen’s words. Thompson argued that Sonnen did the best he could in answering questions and that he had no intention to mislead.

Thompson suggested that when Sonnen referred to conversations “we” had with Kizer, it was his way of referencing Lindland. Thompson said that Sonnen’s language was being parsed unfairly and that Sonnen never said “I” spoke to Kizer, only “we.” Kizer responded on video from Nevada by pointing out another part of Sonnen’s affidavit where Sonnen said the Nevada commission “told me” as opposed to “told us.”

Finally, Sonnen and his attorneys sought to influence the commission by describing the stark contrast in Sonnen’s future life depending on whether the commission ruled in his favor. Sonnen said he is working two non-MMA jobs presently and that it is a tough situation. He added that if his license remains suspended, UFC President Dana White has informed him that he will effectively be retired.

If, on the other hand, the commission ended Sonnen’s suspension, Sonnen could attempt to become licensed in Nevada. Sonnen noted that he had a “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity” in 18 days to coach on the 14th season of “The Ultimate Fighter” opposite Michael Bisping. Sonnen claimed that the winner of a bout between himself and Bisping would become No. 1 contender for the middleweight title and receive a title bout on free television. Sonnen said that this would be the biggest fight in the history of MMA.

“I’ve worked for this chance my whole life, since I was nine, and I don’t want to retire today,” Sonnen stated soberly and deliberately. “I volunteered in my community 18 hours a week the last decade. Never had a drop of alcohol in my life. Never smoked anything. I’m dubbed by Sports Illustrated and ESPN the greatest [Sonnen spelled out an expletive] talker in all of sports. The reality is I’ve never used profanity. Using [spelled-out expletive] a moment ago is the closest I’ve come to using profanity. I’m truly embarrassed from the last hearing and until now... I will not make these mistakes again. I will not ask for forgiveness again. Please just let me go back to work.”

The commission proved unsympathetic to Sonnen’s claims. Each commissioner cited both the Oregon conviction and Sonnen’s December testimony as reasons for upholding his suspension, while focusing more on his testimony.

“Past actions are the best indicator of future performance,” Commissioner Eugene Hernandez remarked in voicing his concern about Sonnen’s future conduct.

Commissioner Dr. Christopher Giza questioned Sonnen and his counsel’s repeated use of the word “precise.” He suggested that Sonnen was not imprecise, but rather untruthful.

Commissioner John Frierson said that he is an advocate of second chances, but that he found it very hard to give a second chance in this case.

Only Commissioner Anthony Thompson voted against a motion to uphold Sonnen’s suspension. There was little debate, with the commission alternating criticisms of Sonnen at the end of the hearing.

Prior to the final vote, Sonnen’s friends and family in attendance voiced their frustrations with the, by then, obvious decision. Sonnen’s mother stood up during public comments to make some of the day’s most effective remarks in favor of Sonnen. She noted that Sonnen doesn’t always pay close attention in reference to his remarks about Kizer. She added that Sonnen needs testosterone and that the commission could decide on that prior to his fight. She then concluded by emotionally defending her son’s character.

“Why would anyone bring up that they were approved in Nevada if they knew it was a lie?” she asked. “He didn’t need that to get past the commission in California. He believed it because he was told that. Some of this just needs to get down to basic common sense. You’re talking about suspending his license indefinitely. He’s done if you do that! This kid has not slept. He’s hardly eaten. He is remorseful. He is sorry whether you keep his license or throw it away.”

Following the commission’s ruling, one of Sonnen’s attorneys continued to plead with the commission to reconsider. He spoke of all the positive things Sonnen could do for the commission to show his remorse, while the rest of the room began to pack up and depart. Eventually, Sonnen’s side was informed that there could be no further discussions between attorneys and the commission after the conclusion of the hearing.

Sonnen’s team gathered in the lobby of the downtown state building minutes later. They passionately argued amongst themselves about the ruling. A resigned and stoic Sonnen stood away from the circle, looking downward and not engaging with the others.

MMA_scientist
05-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Seems a little harsh, but since I can't stand him, I think it is funny.

He can still earn a living in Japan or Canada, so it is not like he has to retire.

Vandelay
05-19-2011, 11:44 AM
I think he should of at least been given an end date on the suspension. I think it's pretty safe to say that he lied and he's guilty of taking the Hormone Replacement Therapy. The Money Laundering is a completely separate case that has already been dealt with. That should have no effect on this ruling. Chael is lucky he has another job. If this had been another fighter, they would be out their main source of income and struggling to get by.

SPX
05-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Two things. . .

1. I don't understand what money laundering has to do with MMA.

2. Considering that the original infraction that got him in hot water was PEDs, and that took place in Nevada and was dealt with by Nevada, I don't get how this is any of California's fucking business.

Luke
05-19-2011, 06:18 PM
2. Considering that the original infraction that got him in hot water was PEDs, and that took place in Nevada and was dealt with by Nevada, I don't get how this is any of California's fucking business.

Ah SPX ,UFC 117 was in California

Luke
05-19-2011, 06:21 PM
I dont feel bad for Chael its his own fault he's in this situation

SPX
05-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Ah SPX ,UFC 117 was in California

Well why the fuck did Nevada issue him a 6 month suspension then?

Someone needs to mind their own business.

Also, I don't get why fighters can't just fight in other states if they are suspended in one.

Luke
05-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Well why the fuck did Nevada issue him a 6 month suspension then?

No idea

Also, I don't get why fighters can't just fight in other states if they are suspended in one.

Well tech they can if they just apply for a license in a different state , the thing is all the organizing bodies stick together so if you're suspended in one state all the others will just deny you're license request

SPX
05-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Just received this. . .

Errors Made in Interpreting Rule 399

“Upon reviewing the May 18, 2011 decision of the Commission, an error in the applicability of Rule 399 was made. The rule states that, “Any applicant who has been denied an application for a license may not file a similar application until one year from the date of the last previous denial by the commission. Any application filed within the one year period may be denied without the necessity of a hearing. Anyone who has had his license revoked may not petition for reinstatement or apply for a new license until one year after the date of such revocation. Any petition for reinstatement filed within the one year period may be denied without the necessity of a hearing.” Since the Commission did not revoke or deny Mr. Sonnen’s license, the rule does not apply.

Given that Mr. Sonnen’s license will expire on June 29, 2011, the suspension imposed upon the license will be extinguished by operation of law. Therefore, Mr. Sonnen may reapply for a license at any time following that date. He will, however, be required to appear at a Commission meeting to have his application considered. If the Commission denies his application, Mr. Sonnen will have to wait one year from the date of the denial.”

Vandelay
05-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Well if he has to go before those biased fucks again, I doubt he will get his license anyways.

Svino
05-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Just received this. . .

LOL. These hearings always end up looking like amateur hour.

Johnny Unreliable
05-20-2011, 09:36 PM
The entire CSAC is a joke. Just look at the judging situation. Yeah giving cecil peoples a viewing monitor is really going to change things. You could project the fights in his own personal movie theater and he would manage to fuck it up.

Luke
05-20-2011, 10:20 PM
The entire CSAC is a joke. Just look at the judging situation. Yeah giving cecil peoples a viewing monitor is really going to change things. You could project the fights in his own personal movie theater and he would manage to fuck it up.

I agree monitors arent going to help anything when judges still dont know how to score a round

Mr. IWS
07-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Sonnen suspention lifted apparently.

Yay!

edman5555
07-03-2011, 12:56 PM

lol

SPX
07-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Sonnen suspention lifted apparently.

Yay!

Where'd you hear that?

Mr. IWS
07-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Where'd you hear that?

Was watching a Dana/Helwani interview pre event and he said it.

poopoo333
07-03-2011, 01:28 PM
http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/07/03/chael-sonnen-says-he-would-have-finished-wanderlei-silva-quicker/

SPX
07-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Was watching a Dana/Helwani interview pre event and he said it.

If true, then that's awesome. Dana should get a fight lined up stat.

Mr. IWS
07-03-2011, 01:49 PM
If true, then that's awesome. Dana should get a fight lined up stat.

In the words of Kurt Angle, Oh its true.

After today, an asterisk gets taken off Chael Sonnen's name.

The onetime middleweight challenger's indefinite suspension from the California State Athletic Commission comes to an end today, and his manager said a meeting tomorrow in Las Vegas will determine the direction of his career.

"We're going to reevaluate it then," Sonnen's manager, Mike Roberts, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Sonnen was unavailable for comment at the time of this writing.

The CSAC indefinitely suspended Sonnen this past May for giving what officials determined to be inconsistent statements in a December appeal of a one-year suspension issued in the wake of his UFC 117 loss to Anderson Silva (which was later halved to six months) due to his testosterone-replacement therapy, as well as a felony charge on money laundering. In a second appeal hearing later that month, the commission upheld its ruling by a 4-1 vote.

The decision effectively sacked a job offer for Sonnen to coach opposite Michael Bisping on "The Ultimate Fighter 14." Onetime Strikeforce middleweight title challenger and recent UFC signee Jason "Mayhem" Miller instead got the job, and production began earlier this month.

At the time of the second hearing, Sonnen said the upholding of the suspension would prompt him to retire. But as of late, the fighter has been back to his old ways on his official Twitter account – that is, throwing stones at any target he fancies.

"Axe Murderer, my ass," Sonnen recently tweeted in a swipe at UFC 132 co-headliner Wanderlei Silva, a popular target. "I'm more intimidated by Axe Body Spray."

And late Tuesday night, he made it clear that retirement is the last thing on his mind.

"I can finally get back to the most important thing in my life," wrote Sonnen, who dominated in the Silva fight until the champ pulled off a fifth-round submission. "Defending my middleweight championship."

CSAC Executive Director George Dodd said Sonnen's name will be removed from a national registry of fighters that notes medical and administrative suspensions. If, however, the fighter wants to be licensed again in California, he needs to appear before the commission, and rehabilitation is likely to be the lynchpin of re-licensure.

Interestingly, Dodd also said the CSAC is in the process of finalizing formal language on the state's therapeutic-exemption process for TRT to be added to the commission's current statutes. Additionally, future applicants for an exemption will need to appear before the commission and its newly formed medical advisory committee to evaluate the necessity of using testosterone, a hot topic brought forth by Nate Marquardt's recent admission of prescribed use of the hormone prior to UFC on Versus 4.

As to whether licensees previously flagged for performance-enhancers will be allowed to get an exemption, Dodd said the CSAC will evaluate applications on a case-by-case basis.

poopoo333
07-04-2011, 08:50 PM
All in regards to Machida:

I don't seek training advice from actors for the same reason I don't seek health advice from strippers.

Of course your sport should be taken seriously. Everybody would like to be able to workout in there bathrobe.

Lyoto, don't feel bad that you don't have the belt. You still have that little cotton one my nephew has.

flyinggogoplata
07-04-2011, 08:52 PM
going hard at blackhouse doesn't seem like a good career choice.

SPX
07-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Machida's not even in his weight class so I don't see the point of this.

poopoo333
07-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Sonnen said he'd fight Machida at LHW for his tune up fight.

flyinggogoplata
07-04-2011, 09:07 PM
he's one crazy fucker, props for carrying the troll flag irl.

SPX
07-04-2011, 09:34 PM

Make it happen, Dana.

Luke
07-04-2011, 11:49 PM

He says a lot of things........I really cant see this happening , can you?

poopoo333
07-05-2011, 12:13 AM
He says a lot of things........I really cant see this happening , can you?

I would have said something like "probably won't happen but I can see it happening because it's marketable and there is nobody to fight in either division for these guys" until I saw this:

News

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/z_images/btns/btn_backtoindex_orange.gif (http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/?offset=0)
04/07/11 - Sonnen vs Machida likely for Fall

A fight between Chael Sonnen and Lyoto Machida is all but a done deal.

Sources close to the situation tell Fighters Only that Sonnen will be making his UFC return at light-heavyweight and is almost certain to face the Brazilian former champion.

The fight is apparently being considered for UFC 136, which takes place on October 8th in Houston, Texas. No fights have been announced for that card but Jose Aldo and Kenny Florian are expected to headline.

Machida is a fighter that Sonnen has long had his eye on, and not just because he is a training partner and friend of Sonnen’s favourite smack-talk target Anderson Silva.

Sonnen made comments at the weekend about possibly fighting Machida when he returns to action, and has been taking potshots at him via Twitter (although that is nothing new).

The latest - “Of course your sport should be taken seriously. Everybody would like to be able to workout in their bathrobe” - is a dig at Machida’s background in Shotokan Karate.

He also slammed the recent spate of videos depicting Black House fighters training with Steven Segal. “I don't seek training advice from actors for the same reason I don't seek health advice from strippers.”

Today Machida told Brazilian website Tatame that he will sign for the fight immediately if Sonnen really wants it, but sources say that verbal agreements are already in place at this point.

More news as we get it.

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=7179

SPX
07-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Why would Sonnen make his return at LHW? Is that supposed to be a permanent move?

He's a beast at middleweight.

poopoo333
07-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Probably needs money after all the shit that has been going on. Machida is a big name that will get him paid more...which big names at middleweight are there available for Sonnen?

SPX
07-05-2011, 12:34 AM
I don't think fighting a big name has much to do with your paycheck. Pretty sure it's all about the contract.

Look at the disparity between Carwin and Brock's pay when they fought.

poopoo333
07-05-2011, 12:36 AM
I was thinking more about sponsors. I am GUESSING that a fighter gets paid more when it's a higher caliber fight like against Machida in the co main event slot than a fight against...Mark Munoz or somebody like that.

SPX
07-05-2011, 12:40 AM
That's probably true.

Mr. IWS
07-05-2011, 08:47 AM
WAR CHAEL!

Ill probably be on Machida

sbjj
07-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Chael is a lot of things. But a coward does not seem like one of them(at least in the fighters definition). You have to respect a guy that is willing to fight at any time at just about any weight.

I have a feeling Machida iis going to be extremely hard to control on the ground.

As long as Chael does not just straight out get his ass kicked, it is a victory. he is fighting out of his optimal weight class, and fighting one of the best.

zY|
07-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Yeah, Machida will be very tough to get down. I wouldn't be surprised if he took Chael down, as well. Machida's base is pretty incredible. Even if he gets taken down, I think he'll sweep or get back up.

flyinggogoplata
07-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Cheal was teetering on the edge of getting cut from wec/ufc until he got on the gear.

Luke
07-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Cheal was teetering on the edge of getting cut from wec/ufc until he got on the gear.

Amazing how that works isnt it?

zY|
07-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Sounds like steroids are a miracle drug.

MMA_scientist
07-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Here is what I said a year ago about Sonnen before the Silva fight:

I thought Nate would beat him, but I overestimated Nate's TD defense and ability to stand up. Sonnen has been subbed by the last 2 guys who were guard players (Maia and Filho). He did get by Creduer in 2006 but was then subbed by the next 2 guard players he fought- Horn amd Babalu (how many times does Horn have to sub him from his back- apparently 3) He is older now and is on a (gasp) three fight win streak. So do I think he suddenly just got magically better after 32 fights while training with the same camp with the same sparring partners and working part time? No, no I don't.

He is the same old Sonnen. He had a 5 fight win streak a few years back. He has been facing guys that match up well with him, just as he did the last time he went on a streak.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if he beat Silva. But he sure as hell won't be finishing him... so Silva will have 25 minutes to figure out how to land one punch or knee or triangle. I do not think Sonnen will be able to be mistake free against someone with offense as dynamic as Anderson's.

Looking back now, it is so obvious he was on the juice, I don't know why it did not occur to me then. Guys do not suddenly improve dramatically mid career (especially without changing their training, as in Sonnen's case).

I remember watching Sonnen back when he was in the UFC the first time and when he was in Bodog and liking him. He seemed a like a funny guy back then but more of just a colbert style republican, bot such a troll. Those roids seem like they changed his entire personality.

zY|
07-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Lol

poopoo333
07-06-2011, 02:45 PM
http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Chael-Sonnen-Machida-took-one-of-Coutures-teeth-For-that-Im-going-to-take-three-of-his.html

flyinggogoplata
07-06-2011, 03:01 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/24289/sources-chael-sonnen-vs-lyoto-machida-not-on-ufcs-fall-docket.mma

not happening brahs

poopoo333
07-06-2011, 03:05 PM
FUCKING BULLSHIT

Mr. IWS
07-06-2011, 03:15 PM
"There was a couple of things going on there," Sonnen explained. "Wanderlei tells me that he's going to send me to the dentist. And I'm thinking, 'The receptionist generally sets those appointments, but if you know the phone number to my local dentist, I guess you could.' Then I'm thinking, 'Is he threatening me? I'm an American gangster, you are an immigrant from Brazil. Are you sure you want to go down this road with me? That's a threat?'
"Hey Wanderlei, let me give you a threat. I will cut the power to your house and do a home invasion. You will hear me climbing up the stairs in a pair of night vision goggles I bought in the back of 'Solder of Fortune' magazine. The next thing you'll hear is me picking the lock of your bedroom door and taking a photograph of you in bed with the Nogueira brothers working on your jiu-jitsu. I will post said photograph at www.DorksFromBrazil.com with password: not required, user name: not required.

Bulz

flyinggogoplata
07-06-2011, 03:16 PM
DO NOT CLICK THE LINK

Mr. IWS
07-06-2011, 03:28 PM
DO NOT CLICK THE LINK

LOL, I clicked on it, that shit is a real site. haha.

Luke
07-06-2011, 07:07 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/24289/sources-chael-sonnen-vs-lyoto-machida-not-on-ufcs-fall-docket.mma

not happening brahs

Inb4LukeSays.he.told.yaSO

poopoo333
07-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Sonnen vs Stann at 136

flyinggogoplata
07-06-2011, 07:09 PM
sauce?

poopoo333
07-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Mma junkie

flyinggogoplata
07-06-2011, 07:13 PM
dont like that matchup.

SPX
07-06-2011, 07:14 PM
That's a weird match up.

Stann's on a roll, but Sonnen's wrestling will be too much for him. I was hoping for Stann/Munoz.

flyinggogoplata
07-06-2011, 07:16 PM
I want to see Stann vs Monson in strikeforce at 205 pounds.

Luke
07-06-2011, 07:16 PM
At least Brian Stann had a nice run

flyinggogoplata
07-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Yep, Stann can't wrestle worth a shit.

poopoo333
07-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Yeah I figured we would see Stann/Munoz and Santiago/Sonnen.

flyinggogoplata
07-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Yeah I figured we would see Stann/Munoz and Santiago/Stann.
santiago/stann would be a good fight.

poopoo333
07-06-2011, 07:30 PM
I edited it stfu

SPX
07-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Yep, Stann can't wrestle worth a shit.

His wrestling has gotten a lot better.

flyinggogoplata
07-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I edited it stfu

the consequences will never be the same.

flyinggogoplata
07-06-2011, 07:40 PM

? do not agree

SPX
07-06-2011, 07:41 PM
His ground skills in general have gotten better.

He took a UD over Rodney Wallace and subbed Massenzio.

poopoo333
07-06-2011, 07:42 PM
He subbed a gassed wrestler off of his back, then fought two fights where it was all striking. Where has his improved wrestling been shown?

Luke
07-06-2011, 07:44 PM

Comparing Sonnen's ground skills to Massenzio and Wallace's ................for real?

flyinggogoplata
07-06-2011, 07:44 PM
X is trolling

poopoo333
07-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Pretty sure the Rodney Wallace fight was all stand up as well besides the times Wallace took Stann down. That fight was before the Phil Davis assraping too.

poopoo333
07-06-2011, 07:46 PM
X is trolling

Agreed.

Luke
He subbed a gassed wrestler off of his back, then fought two fights where it was all striking. Where has his improved wrestling been shown?

Not to mention Massenzio was up 2 rds to 0 goign into the 3rd if I remember correctly

SPX

Well you conveniently ignored the Wallace fight, for one. And two, could you imagine him subbing ANYONE off his back in the WEC?

Luke
X is trolling

I hope

SPX
07-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Comparing Sonnen's ground skills to Massenzio and Wallace's ................for real?

I said already that Sonnen's wrestling would be too much for him. I was just combating the claim that he can't wrestle "worth a shit." He has improved. That doesn't make him good, but he does have a skillset unlike, say, Cyrille Diabate.

Luke
07-06-2011, 07:49 PM
I don't like the matchup but I didnt like the Machida-Sonnen matchup either . Brian Stann was starting to build a following so sending him to Sonnen to lose is a bad idea imo

flyinggogoplata
07-06-2011, 07:54 PM
I said already that Sonnen's wrestling would be too much for him. I was just combating the claim that he can't wrestle "worth a shit." He has improved. That doesn't make him good, but he does have a skillset unlike, say, Cyrille Diabate.

but seriously he's getting grapplefucked.

SPX
07-06-2011, 07:56 PM
I don't like the matchup but I didnt like the Machida-Sonnen matchup either . Brian Stann was starting to build a following so sending him to Sonnen to lose is a bad idea imo

Yeah, it doesn't make sense in terms of accomplishments either. His best win is Leben, which is impressive, but it doesn't warrant a fight with the guy who just dominated Anderson Silva for 23 minutes.

SPX
07-06-2011, 07:56 PM
but seriously he's getting grapplefucked.

As did Yushin Okami.

flyinggogoplata
07-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Yushin has actually gotten better though.

poopoo333
07-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Well you conveniently ignored the Wallace fight, for one. And two, could you imagine him subbing ANYONE off his back in the WEC?

The Wallace fight was when he was at 205, in 2009, two fights before he made his middleweight debut. And yes,, if he was in the WEC with a man going into cardiac arrest on top of him, I could see him subbing him off of his back. And subbing somebody off of the back does not =improved wrestling

SPX
07-06-2011, 08:06 PM
And yes,, if he was in the WEC with a man going into cardiac arrest on top of him, I could see him subbing him off of his back.

Not me, and definitely not someone like Massenzio, regardless of how gassed his opponent was.

And subbing somebody off of the back does not =improved wrestling

My full statement read:

poopoo333
07-06-2011, 08:14 PM

SPX
07-06-2011, 08:36 PM

You're being gay now.

zY|
07-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Sonnen should beat up the hero.

flyinggogoplata
07-06-2011, 08:47 PM
http://mmainfinity.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/sonnen-busted.gif?w=350&h=238
You're being gay now.

Luke
07-06-2011, 09:04 PM

Hey..........that's my line

poopoo333
07-06-2011, 09:45 PM
I am really surprised at this match up, I thought the UFC would try and give Stann an easy road a title fight.

Luke
07-06-2011, 09:54 PM
I am really surprised at this match up, I thought the UFC would try and give Stann an easy road a title fight.

I was thinking the same

SPX
07-06-2011, 09:58 PM
I just can't believe than Stann has flourished while Steve Cantwell has struggled so badly.

zY|
07-06-2011, 11:54 PM
I just can't believe than Stann has flourished while Steve Cantwell has struggled so badly.

Yeah, that shit is bananas.

I remember watching Kryzstoff kimura Stann with ease. WITH EASE! I mean he schooled him on the ground like Stann had never grappled a day in his life. I assumed he was he was out of the UFC THEN.

SPX
07-07-2011, 12:30 AM
I definitely thought that was the beginning of the end.

MMA_scientist
07-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Gay fight. They could not have given Chael a more favorable matchup. That said, I think Stann is live here, he has definitely improved and he looks better every time.

Maia/Sonnen II or Palhares/Sonnen. How do you not give him a brazilian after all the nonsense he has been saying?

Doesn't make sense for either guy. Whatever, Sonnen hasn't even been licensed yet. CSAC says it is not a foregone conclusion that he will be licensed.

flyinggogoplata
07-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Does the csac matter at this point? Barnett never did shit for the csac and he's doing fine

poopoo333
07-07-2011, 10:07 AM
http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/07/07/backstage-with-chael-sonnen/

flyinggogoplata
07-07-2011, 10:20 AM
he nailed it about japan sadly.......

MMA_scientist
07-07-2011, 11:08 AM
he nailed it about japan sadly.......

??

Nog, Shogun, Rampage, and A. Silva all became champs in the UFC right after coming over from Pride (yeah, I know Anderson went to a different org first). Pride guys actually did pretty well in the UFC.

He nailed the Steven Segal thing though.

flyinggogoplata
07-07-2011, 11:17 AM
i just think a lot of fights are worked in japan

MMA_scientist
07-07-2011, 11:29 AM
i just think a lot of fights are worked in japan

Oh, that. I agree 100%.

Svino
07-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Maia/Sonnen II or Palhares/Sonnen. How do you not give him a brazilian after all the nonsense he has been saying?

^^^^THIS.

Thewisemann
07-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Sonnen -210, was hoping for a better line, but still has value.

Luke
07-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah.......I'm not betting Sonnen that high

poopoo333
07-07-2011, 06:15 PM
I would have taken him @-200, but he is going to creep up to -275/-300 range before 5dimes or bookmaker opens the line

SPX
07-07-2011, 07:56 PM
There's still a ton of value at -220, I think. Sonnen should be -500.

5u

poopoo333
07-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Balllin

SPX
07-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Sonnen's gonna Phil Davis his ass.

poopoo333
07-07-2011, 08:26 PM
I am just going to wait for the decision prop. Line is too steep for me considering Sonnen might have low test levels

MMA_scientist
07-07-2011, 08:36 PM
If Sonnen is off the juice (doubtful), he is going to revert back to Bodog Sonnen and get his ass kicked.

Luke
07-07-2011, 09:11 PM
There's still a ton of value at -220, I think. Sonnen should be -500.

5u

X is trolling

SPX
07-08-2011, 01:18 AM
I'm not trolling at all. I made my bet immediately and couldn't believe how good of a line I got.

Thewisemann
07-08-2011, 01:35 AM
I'll take Sonnen at the current line

Svino
07-08-2011, 03:10 PM
If Sonnen is off the juice (doubtful), he is going to revert back to Bodog Sonnen and get his ass kicked.

Hey, he never lost in Bodog. I agree with X here. I think this is a good matchup for Sonnen, roids or no roids.

MMA_scientist
07-08-2011, 03:54 PM
^^ I generally meant, mid-career Sonnen, who could not make it in the big shows so had to go to smaller orgs. Then he magically got like 5 times better in his mid thirties... without the juice, Sonnen is B level.

zY|
07-08-2011, 06:30 PM
without testosterone, everyone is B level.

Agreed.

edman5555
07-08-2011, 08:41 PM
^^ I generally meant, mid-career Sonnen, who could not make it in the big shows so had to go to smaller orgs. Then he magically got like 5 times better in his mid thirties... without the juice, Sonnen is B level.

Well he is probably juicing but I'm not sure that is the only reason for his increases success. He was only tko'd once in his career and aside from that it has been pretty much just submission losses. He has been avoiding the subs more(except for top level guys like Anderson, Maia and Filho). Maybe he has finally learned that gay jiu jitsu sport.

edman5555
07-08-2011, 08:42 PM
he did actually go for a sub on Anderson. I think it was an arm triangle IIRc.

Svino
07-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm sure Sonnen is still vulnerable to submissions, but does anyone really have a lot of confidence in Stann's bjj? Dude got subbed by K-Sos.

Vandelay
07-09-2011, 04:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2H77SVWbY4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABwdARTpS2c&feature=player_embedded

Vid 2 is hilarious

Mr. IWS
07-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Good shit Vandelay, thanks.

flyinggogoplata
07-11-2011, 05:29 AM
http://oi55.tinypic.com/4r8gfb.jpg

flyinggogoplata
07-22-2011, 04:18 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/10yzzvm.jpg

Mr. IWS
07-26-2011, 04:34 PM
notsureifsrs on this vid. Never seen Chael like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agh31CmUa40

SPX
07-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Hmm. Hard to say. I think there was at least SOME element of Chael being real there, but when a guy is a Super Troll like he is, it's hard to ever really be able to tell.

MMA_scientist
07-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Academia Demian Maia JJ - Brasil: Sonnen aceitaria treinar Jiu-Jitsu com Demian

"The controversial Chael Sonnen always made it clear he does not train Jiu-Jitsu, and this hole in his game was responsible for almost all its losses (from 11 losses, eight were by submission). However, his training routine may change.

The American, who assured presence in the corner of Rio Yushin Okami at UFC, learned of the invitation by Demian Maia (UFC in an interview with No Limits). In the program, said Demian Sonnen teach some defense of the triangle.

I might accept (laughs), it may be useful. Demian Maia is fantastic, I may accept this offer, "said Sonnen, in an interview with Sportsnet, quiet about the reception that would have in Brazil. "People love me there".

Confident in the victory of Okami over Anderson, in the main event of UFC, Chael said he would be interested to face Anderson even if he was not the champion of the category.

"I and the Anderson we end up in the finding of new ... It's not going to be the champion because the Okami will take his belt in his homeland, but don't care to beat on it a little more just to have fun ".

Mr. IWS
07-27-2011, 10:28 AM
itsatrap.jpg

Dont do it Chael

SPX
07-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Yeah, those Brazilians are looking to submit him yet again. Permanently this time. In a back alley.

BTW, it really seems like Tatame would've figured out how to do better translations by now. Do they just run that shit through Babelfish or something?

MMA_scientist
07-27-2011, 11:39 AM
I got it from Maia's blog: http://demianmaiaacademy.blogspot.com/2011/07/sonnen-aceitaria-treinar-jiu-jitsu-com.html?spref=tw

I translated it with Bing. It was in portugese...

SPX
07-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Ah, okay.

MMA_scientist
08-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Chael's rep is ruined. WTF is he doing teaching BJJ? This is America and bjj is gay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvTkKLMj7-0&feature=player_embedded#at=15

Mr. IWS
08-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Chael's rep is ruined. WTF is he doing teaching BJJ? This is America and bjj is gay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvTkKLMj7-0&feature=player_embedded#at=15

Must have switched to Democrat?

poopoo333
08-05-2011, 11:15 PM
http://www.ufc.com/media/UFC-133-Chael-Sonnen-Q-and-A-ARCHIVE

About an hour of Chael Sonnen. Enjoy.

poopoo333
08-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Chael Sonnen is stealing lines from The Rock.. "What in the blue hell.....?"

poopoo333
08-06-2011, 12:17 AM
http://www.ufc.com/media/UFC-133-Chael-Sonnen-Q-and-A-ARCHIVE

About an hour of Chael Sonnen. Enjoy.

This whole thing is worth watching. It's hilarious

poopoo333
08-07-2011, 07:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-gMBfDBJGo

Mr. IWS
08-11-2011, 10:28 AM
bulz much?

Chael Sonnen (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Chael-Sonnen-4112) doesn’t hold back when he dislikes someone.

If he does like an opponent, though, the middleweight contender says he’s not going to act like he doesn’t to sell the fight.

“I don’t manufacture conflict,” Sonnen (Pictured) said on Bruce Buffer’s “It’s Time” show on the Sherdog Radio Network (http://www.sherdog.com/radio/Buffer-Chael-Sonnen-2006). “I don’t try to sell fights or talk trash or hype anything. I hear those things said about myself. I see people constantly attempt to imitate me, but that’s not what I’m doing. I don’t make anything up. If I don’t mean it, I won’t say it. Apparently in the fight business you’re allowed to say things that you don’t mean to sell fights, and I hate that concept. I can’t tell you how dishonest I find that.”

In particular, Sonnen cited Josh Koscheck (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Josh-Koscheck-9418)’s apparent disdain for Georges St. Pierre (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Georges-St.-Pierre-3500) leading up to their rematch in December 2010.

“I’ve known Josh Koscheck for 13 years,” Sonnen said. “He’s got my full support. He’s a friend of mine. If I had the ability, I would have fired him after the St. Pierre fight. Not because of the beyond atrocious performance he put on but [for] the fact that he built the fight up -- he hyped it and he grabbed the microphone and tells everybody, ‘Hey, I didn’t mean that.’ Somewhere in fighting that’s OK? That is a fraudulent criminal act, in my opinion.”

Sonnen compared it to a car salesman misleading a customer into a purchase, then revealing the lie after the purchase is made.

“You would be furious,” he said. “You’d march into the attorney general’s office. You’d have the guy’s license revoked. You’d probably get a refund. But somewhere in the fight world, it’s OK to make things up. I would never do that. Look, if I don’t mean it, I won’t say it.”

On Oct. 8 at UFC 136, Sonnen will meet an opponent he both likes and respects: Brian Stann (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Brian-Stann-14829).

“I’m not going to manufacture a conflict against Brian Stann,” Sonnen said. “He’s a friend of mine. He’s a great guy. He’s a former world champion. He and I need to compete with each other. I’m the middleweight champion of the world and Dana White and I together have deemed him the number one contender for my championship. I will give him his opportunity on October 8. That’s it. Win or lose, we will shake hands and we will carry on life as men and as friends.”

Evidently Sonnen believes he defeated UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Anderson-Silva-1356) when they fought last August. Sonnen was perhaps less than two minutes away from earning a decision, but then Silva submitted him with a triangle armbar.

“In what parallel scoring system do you punch a man 300 times, he hits you 11 times, wraps his legs around your head for eight seconds and they declare him the winner?” Sonnen said. “That doesn’t make you a winner. In no form of society, from the jungle to the streets, does that make you a winner. I’m the people’s champion. I’m the linear champion. I’m the best middleweight there’s ever been and I am the UFC’s true champion.”

Unlike Stann, Sonnen clearly doesn’t like Silva. That means he doesn’t hold back when asked about the Brazilian.

“That’s just the way it goes,” Sonnen said. “I don’t do that for Anderson because I don’t feel that about Anderson. I don’t like Anderson Silva. I don’t like any of those Black House guys. I don’t need to explain my reasons and I don’t need to apologize for it. If they’ve got a problem with it, we can settle it in the people’s forum: the Octagon.”

poopoo333
08-11-2011, 11:23 AM
http://chaelsonnensaidso.com/

Mr. IWS
08-11-2011, 11:46 AM
http://chaelsonnensaidso.com/

Gold

“After Brian Stann and I do business, Dana and I will sit down like we always do. We'll review a whole bunch of Strikeforce contracts. I imagine my paper airplane collection will get a lot bigger if you guys know what I mean and then we'll decide if I will be granting Anderson Silva a shot at my championship.”
“Black House needs to stand trial in America for crimes against integrity. I have placed Black House under citizen’s arrest per my right of the Constitution of the United States of America, Article 36, trial waived, sentence passed down - no less than 15 minutes locked in the slammer with yours truly, America’s favorite gangster, Chael P. Sonnen.”
“When your coach tells you to hit the 'speed bag,' he’s not telling you grab your balloon of meth, you tweaker.”
“If Brock Lesner were here right now, I'd take my boot off and throw it at him and he'd better polish it up before he brings it back to me.”
“I don't do training camps. I don't sleep in tents and I don't roast marshmallows. Camps are for kids.”
"Then I'd say, 'Hey GSP, let me ask you a serious question. Do you have a designated driver? Do you have somebody to get you home safely? 'Cause clearly you're intoxicated.' I'd say, 'GSP, do you have a hankering for pain? GSP, did you lose a bet with god? GSP, bring your $3,000 suit, bring your $3 date and get the 3 cent tan beat off your socialist back.' That's what I would tell GSP."

Mr. IWS
09-02-2011, 02:41 PM
http://s3.noelshack.com/uploads/images/19189483979688_roflbotz9vo.jpg

poopoo333
10-07-2011, 09:46 AM
http://ironforgesiron.com/2011/10/audio-chael-sonnen-goes-toe-to-toe-with-ranallo/

6 minutes in or so...Chael trolls the fuck out of Mauro

poopoo333
10-07-2011, 10:00 AM
LOL 20 minutes in he trolls Mauro way harder

The last 6 minutes or so is fucking hilarious. Mauro is a psycho

Mr. IWS
10-07-2011, 11:56 AM
http://ironforgesiron.com/2011/10/audio-chael-sonnen-goes-toe-to-toe-with-ranallo/

6 minutes in or so...Chael trolls the fuck out of Mauro

Nice find

LMAO at "my first defense of my middle weight championship".

Sounds like is blaming his agent/manager after getting popped for test, and fired him/them. I hadnt heard that before.

He mentioned a 100,000 seat staduim show in brazil on the horizon?