PDA

View Full Version : Royce Gracie pondering August return to the Octagon

Luke
12-21-2010, 04:40 PM
When the UFC held a press conference in Rio de Janeiro last week to announce only its second show there in 12 years, Royce Gracie appeared and told gathered media that a slot for him in the August event was being "negotiated."

Assuming that Gracie won't tie his belt for less than seven figures, and knowing that the UFC brand is no longer in need of promotional stunt work, it's probably more likely that any Gracie on that card would be Renzo. But assuming the 44-year-old Royce -- who won three UFC tournaments in 1993 and 1994, and who probably was the single biggest influence on groundfighting in martial arts history -- does fight, upper management has to know that no one wants to see a repeat of the Matt Hughes tragedy in 2006. (A cross-trained younger athlete beats an older, one-dimensional one. You could've filed that story two months before it happened.)

edman5555
12-21-2010, 05:03 PM
I am sure he gets a lot of money. I saw an interview with him where he stated that he would come back only if the price was right. I am sure they pay him 1 or 2 million they will make their money back. He is an attraction, regardless of how good he actually is. 2million/50 bucks per ppv equals 40k buys. He can definetly add that. I am sure we will be watching it, though I will be stealing it off the internet. Most of you probably will be too.

sbjj
12-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Yea, but who they hell could he fight? Joe Rogan.

MMA_scientist
12-21-2010, 05:31 PM
You guys know that Royce fought and beat Sakuraba (also old, but still beating young guys) after the Hughes loss right? It was overturned b/c of the roids... but I bet he could be competitive with some of the guys fresh out of TUF. He is 45 though, so he is definitely going to need some TRT.

SPX
12-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Very interesting. IF this shit comes to pass, I think they should pull another older Brazilian fighter out of the closet and make it a legends match. I just don't think Royce has any business fighting anyone who's currently in their prime, as just about any fighter in the UFC is except for Randy Couture who's too damn big.

What's Marco Ruas up to these days?

sbjj
12-21-2010, 06:58 PM
You guys know that Royce fought and beat Sakuraba (also old, but still beating young guys) after the Hughes loss right? It was overturned b/c of the roids... but I bet he could be competitive with some of the guys fresh out of TUF. He is 45 though, so he is definitely going to need some TRT.

So the UFC is going to pay him a boatload of money to fight a guy straight out of TUF? I just do not see it. He needs a big name to fight, but the big names in the UFC right now would destroy him.

Royce Gracie vs. C.B. Dolloway=WTF.

Mr. IWS
12-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Old as fuk Severn is still fighting, maybe they can get it in, or shammy vs Royce.

sbjj
12-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Royce vs. James Toney. Watch it happen.

Luke
12-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Royce vs. James Toney. Watch it happen.

horrible fight

but you'd have to pay Gracie 1 million + and Toney 500k + so I doubt that happens

sbjj
12-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Is there a fight for him that is not horrible? It has to be a high profile fight, but also one that he has a chance to win.

SPX
12-21-2010, 08:00 PM
I think the long-awaited Royce/Shamrock rubber match wouldn't be a bad idea.

They're both old and past their prime. I'm sure Royce's striking still sucks and surely Shammy won't fall for the same old BJJ tricks anymore.

MMA_scientist
12-21-2010, 08:13 PM
No need for a Shammy rubber match because Shamrock never beat him. Royce won the 1st fight, 2nd was a draw. Plus, I don't know that the UFC even allows fights where a weightclass separates the fighters. I don't know that Royce could get over 186 and I know Shamrock couldn't make MW.

If he has to fight (I personally have zero interest in seeing him fight) I wouldn't mind seeing him fight a kickboxer or someone else just trying to break into MMA with a name, but doesn't have the takedown defense completely nailed down. Sort of a throwback style v style fight. There are no retired legends in the WW division that I can think of, so a legends match would be tough to make happen. That first class of UFC fighters were all pretty big. They could probably find a retired japanese fighter though.

FTR, I think Royce would beat Toney easily, even with the weight difference. I would actually pay to see Royce/Toney, would be great either way. I don't like either guy all that much, tbh.

edman5555
12-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Not a fan of Royce? Is he real arrogant or what? I get that vibe.

Luke
12-21-2010, 08:27 PM
No need for a Shammy rubber match because Shamrock never beat him. Royce won the 1st fight, 2nd was a draw.

The only reason the second fight was a draw was because there were no judges . Anyone that has watched the fight knows who won

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/luke1899/GracieShamrock_2_Medium_Small.jpg

FTR, I think Royce would beat Toney easily, even with the weight difference. I would actually pay to see Royce/Toney, would be great either way. I don't like either guy all that much, tbh.

You think Royce would beat Toney? Thats really going out on a limb .

Why does anyone want to see Toney fight again? I dont get it. He didnt train,knows nothing about MMA ,is out of shape and has no legit shot at beating any type of style that isnt boxing

Luke
12-21-2010, 08:30 PM
I think a 3rd fight with Shammy or Sakuraba is the best idea .If its not either of those two guys just scrap the whole idea .Sakuraba would probably be the best idea because they could fight at 185

SPX
12-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Why does anyone want to see Toney fight again? I dont get it. He didnt train,knows nothing about MMA ,is out of shape and has no legit shot at beating any type of style that isnt boxing

I think he did train, at least somewhat. I was actually impressed that he was able to properly defend the choke against Randy for as long as he did. He had to learn that somewhere.

Luke
12-21-2010, 09:12 PM

I think he did train, at least somewhat. I was actually impressed that he was able to properly defend the choke against Randy for as long as he did. He had to learn that somewhere.

Jesus you're just like my lady ,always nit picking stuff . Of course I know he trained some I posted pictures and video of it . I meant he didnt train anywhere near what he should have or train like and other MMA fighter would have or he didnt train enough to make a legitimate effort to win,or enough that he acutally cared what happened in the fight .

Just so there's no more following to nit pick he might have a little shot of beating a kickboxer,Muay Thai fighter, a Karate guy ,TKD fighter, and some others.

poopoo333
12-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Just so there's no more following to nit pick he might have a little shot of beating a kickboxer,Muay Thai fighter, a Karate guy ,TKD fighter, and some others.

Well Couture was a boxer in the military and Toney didn't really come close to beating him. And most of the style of fighters you listed in MMA also have some grappling experience.

::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao::

Svino
12-22-2010, 01:42 AM

Trying hard to determine if this is sarcasm... failing...

MMA_scientist
12-22-2010, 09:52 AM

Trying hard to determine if this is sarcasm... failing...

I too wondered if it was sarcasm. But now I am pretty sure he is saying, "Yes, it is obvious that Royce would beat Toney by tackling him Remco Pardoel style, and probably choking him."

Luke
12-22-2010, 12:12 PM
You guys are funny ,of course I was being sarcastic . Why would Toney stand any chance of beating Royce?

MMA_scientist
12-22-2010, 12:26 PM
You guys are funny ,of course I was being sarcastic . Why would Toney stand any chance of beating Royce?

I think if you took a poll, most people would pick Toney, tbh. Royce does not have the skill to fight in the current UFC even at WW. Saying Royce can beat Toney is really about the equivalent of saying ANY mma fighter or bjj bb at ANY weight can beat Toney.

Luke
12-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Saying Royce can beat Toney is really about the equivalent of saying ANY mma fighter or bjj bb at ANY weight can beat Toney.

I would agree with that statement also.

You guys are really acting like Toney has any skill in MMA . He was looking for a paycheck thats all

MMA_scientist
12-22-2010, 12:50 PM
I would agree with that statement also.

You guys are really acting like Toney has any skill in MMA . He was looking for a paycheck thats all

Well I agree too... but that is me. I really think that most people would favor Toney because of his boxing. but Toney is way way too late to the takedown defense party to learn to stop almost anyone from taking him down immediately. People see it in tv and think they can learn to sprawl and brawl in a couple of months. A lot of people think it is easy to stuff a takedown... it is not. That is a whole skill that takes a lot of time to develop. And even then, it still doesn't work for most guys. It is really difficult to stop a takedown while also trying to hit someone. If you are 43 and fat and have never sprawled in your life, it is going to be damn near impossible.

Luke
12-22-2010, 07:14 PM

Well Couture was a boxer in the military and Toney didn't really come close to beating him. And most of the style of fighters you listed in MMA also have some grappling experience.

::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao::

Poopoo GTFO you are banned .......again