W Peralta 1u to win 2.5u

-----------------------------------------------------
Parlays

Thewisemann 3-0 +1.7
W Mousasi, Aoki 1.25u to win 1.01u
W Mousasi, Aoki, Askren .5u to win .58u
W Aoki, Mousasi, Askren, Hieron .3u to win .52u

MMA_scientist 1-1 +.86
W 5u to win 1.06u "Not Daley by submission/Not Kawajiri inside distance/Not Beerbohm by submission"
L .2u to win 1u on Diaz/Melendez/Mousasi/Takaya/Duarte

Vandelay 1-0 +?
W mousasi, askren, hieron, not daley by sub, not beerbohm by sub 1u to win .96

poopoo333 1-0 +?
W 0.25u to win 0.9u on Takaya/Mousasi/Beerbohm/Melendez/Diaz

SPX 1-0 +?
W Parlay: Diaz-Melendez-Mousasi-Takaya-Askren-Chandler-Hieron: .5u to win 2.8u

edman5555 1-2 +?
L .25u to win 4.175u
Pending 4/9/11 11:30pm Strikeforce Fighting 1001 Paul Daley/Nick Diaz Over 2½ -125*
Pending 4/9/11 10:00pm Strikeforce Fighting 1301 Keith Jardine/Gegard Mousasi Over 1½ -112*
Pending 4/9/11 10:00pm Bellator Fighting 2102 Ben Askren -550* vs Nick Thompson
Pending 4/9/11 10:30pm Props Fighting 1207 Beerbohm wins by 3 round decision +342* vs Not Beerbohm by 3 round decision

W 78025695-1 4/9/11 9:13pm 1u to win 1.15u Pending 3 Team Parlay
Pending 4/9/11 11:30pm Strikeforce Fighting 1002 Nick Diaz -200* vs Paul Daley
Pending 4/9/11 10:00pm Strikeforce Fighting 1302 Gegard Mousasi -465* vs Keith Jardine
Pending 4/9/11 10:00pm Bellator Fighting 2102 Ben Askren -550* vs Nick Thompson

L 78025488-1 4/9/11 9:11pm 1u to win 3u Pending 3 Team Parlay
Pending 4/9/11 11:30pm Strikeforce Fighting 1001 Paul Daley/Nick Diaz Over 2½ -125*
Pending 4/9/11 10:00pm Strikeforce Fighting 1301 Keith Jardine/Gegard Mousasi Over 1½ -112*
Pending 4/9/11 10:00pm

High5 1-0 +?
W Parlay Melendez / Mousasi 4u to win 2.76u

Mr. IWS
04-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I need:

Vandelay
poopoo333
SPX
edman5555
High5

to tell me how much your parlay wins with gegard paid out. Thanks.

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Takaya lost, so the parlay didn't pay anything out. I have a question...is losing all my bets just as impressive as winning all of them? I feel like sideloaded in his competition against ludocain. This night would have been way worse if I didn't do good on MFC and Bellator that weekend.

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Takaya lost. FYI... the Gegard draw is not going to have an effect on some of those.

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Takaya lost, so the parlay didn't pay anything out. I have a question...is losing all my bets just as impressive as winning all of them? I feel like sideloaded in his competition against ludocain. This night would have been way worse if I didn't do good on MFC and Bellator that weekend.

It is almost as impressive. But you lost on almost all underdogs, so it loses some prestige. Sideloaded lost on a pretty good mix of favorites and mild underdogs IIRC... it was really almost statistically impossible what he did. So he is your superior for the time being. If it makes you feel better, you have had the fastest meltdown for a regular gambler... you went from "I am going to be so tight this year, do all my homework and win everything" to "fuck it, all in" in like 3 weeks.

I am not judging, I was on the verge of retiring by kamikaze bet a few months ago myself. I have to admit that Luke and a couple other guys talked me into just buckling down and working my way out.

High5
04-12-2011, 03:04 PM
I need:

Vandelay
poopoo333
SPX
edman5555
High5

I was paid the same. 138.08 = 2.76u
Not sure why? I'm new to betting parlays.

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 03:22 PM
It is almost as impressive. But you lost on almost all underdogs, so it loses some prestige. Sideloaded lost on a pretty good mix of favorites and mild underdogs IIRC... it was really almost statistically impossible what he did. So he is your superior for the time being. If it makes you feel better, you have had the fastest meltdown for a regular gambler... you went from "I am going to be so tight this year, do all my homework and win everything" to "fuck it, all in" in like 3 weeks.

I am not judging, I was on the verge of retiring by kamikaze bet a few months ago myself. I have to admit that Luke and a couple other guys talked me into just buckling down and working my way out.

Yeah, I got lazy. But I haven't deferred to chasing/saying "fuck it, all in". I am just losing a lot of bets. But to be honest, kamikaze has crossed my mind but I don't feel like making another deposit.

Thewisemann
04-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Go all in on this parlay, gsp, Machida and Aldo

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 03:28 PM

Speaking of this, I really wanted to just depost money in my account (like $300 or so), make this parlay, withdraw the original $300 if it wins, and keep the winnings to "catch up" from my losses.

I am betting with the same unit size so I don't really have a 50u bankroll anymore. I guess you can just say my unit is $20 like Luke/Zak have $100 units.

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I got lazy. But I haven't deferred to chasing/saying "fuck it, all in". I am just losing a lot of bets. But to be honest, kamikaze has crossed my mind but I don't feel like making another deposit.

Yeah, if you are going to make another deposit if you lose, then it really isn't a kamikaze bet. For me, if I ever lose my initial deposit, I am done. I will never gamble again. But as of yet, I have never reloaded since I started. I was down like 30% at the end of last year and beginning of this year and had been stagnant for much of 2010. I thought that I just couldn't beat the lines. BUt having climbed out of it properly without a kamikaze bet, I know that I was just betting too loose and trying to be too contrarian. I was making bets I had no business making... just getting back to being a little tighter made me realize that I just got away from my bread and butter. But I also added the magic parlay system and 2-3 fight parlays in during this down period, which has paid off. Growing pains. You live, you learn, you try not to make the same mistakes again.

Anyway, I think a lot of your issue is that your are playing with a small stack that doesn't mean anything to you... you are still testing the waters. I think you would be more serious with more money. Speaking of, I am going to deposit enough to double my stake (I had to withdraw 50% last year to buy some shit- so now I am refunding it).

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Anyway, I think a lot of your issue is that your are playing with a small stack that doesn't mean anything to you... you are still testing the waters. I think you would be more serious with more money.

Pretty much this. When I lose I don't really get down on myself, I am just like "oh well that sucks".

So I made a deposit in my savings account today and saw I had a balance of $22,313.57. Should I put that all on Tito Ortiz against Ryan Bader? If I win I can buy a nice new car.

trollface.jpg

edman5555
04-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Damn PooPoo you have some cash in there.

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Damn PooPoo you have some cash in there.

Yeah I have no idea what to do with it so I am just going to keep putting money in there until I need it I guess.

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Seriously poopoo. If you got that much in cash at your age (assuming it isn't student loan money or something), please please do not spend it on a car like a damn fool. If you have $22k, in the bank why are playing with $300?

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Yeah I have no idea what to do with it so I am just going to keep putting money in there until I need it I guess.

At least throw that shit into a money market account or bond fund or something. Letting it sit there, you are actually losing money (because of inflation). You really are the worst example of an asian I have ever seen. If you have 22k liquid cash at you are not yet 21... you are rich homie. Just throw it all in an index fund right now... you are already a multimillionaire and you don't even know it. I am deadly serious.

Mr. IWS
04-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Gimme 10 grand, Ill turn it into 15 in 3 days. Holla back.

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Seriously poopoo. If you got that much in cash at your age (assuming it isn't student loan money or something), please please do not spend it on a car like a damn fool. If you have $22k, in the bank why are playing with $300?

I am not gonna buy a car with it, I am going to save it. And I started with $1,000 that I had laying under my mattress lol. The $300 I was talking about was $300 I'd just take from my wallet and deposit for that one event and try to profit off of that (then take that original $300 back out and keep the rest to play with).

At least throw that shit into a money market account or bond fund or something. Letting it sit there, you are actually losing money (because of inflation). You really are the worst example of an asian I have ever seen. If you have 22k liquid cash at you are not yet 21... you are rich homie. Just throw it all in an index fund right now... you are already a multimillionaire and you don't even know it. I am deadly serious.

Yeah.. I have no idea about any of that stuff/or heard of it. What is it?

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 04:50 PM

A money market account is just a checking account that pays interest, essentially. It is tied to the bond interest rate. It doesn't pay muc right now, like 1.5%, but in years past (and will be so in the future) you could get 3 or 4% annually. That doesn't sound like a lot, but at least keeps up with inflation. Inflation is the monster that causes everything to get more expensive.

A bond is loan to the government. You can get "T-Bills"- United States Treasury bonds, a loan to the U.S. Government and it pretty much the safest investment you can make- you are guaranteed to get you money back. They fo for 3-6% depending on the maturity date (length of the loan). You can even do "Munis"- municipal bonds, loans to a city. Municipal bonds are tax free and generally pay a little more.

But really and truly, someone in thier 20's needs to be in the stock market. Just buy a mutual fund. You will average around 10% annually... it will fluctuate, but if you just threw that $22K into an S&P Index fund right now, today- you would pretty much never have to save another dime... you would have over $1 million when you retire. If you continued adding money to it, you could probably retire in your early 40's. Time is your friend in the market... people don't start until they are in their late 20's or early 30's... but that extra decade is awesome. And Index mutual fund is the simplest investment in the stock market. A mutual find is basically a whole bunch of stocks all rolled up into 1 stock. So they are more stable... but they also dont' go crazy and make you rich over night.

Or you can do what i do, I buy stocks individually in a brokerage account, and then I have a few mutual funds for my retirement. The stock market is more fun than gambling IMO, and it has a positive EV- you actually have a house edge.

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 04:51 PM

Why aren't your parents teaching you anything?

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 04:59 PM
But really and truly, someone in thier 20's needs to be in the stock market. Just buy a mutual fund. You will average around 10% annually... it will fluctuate, but if you just threw that $22K into an S&P Index fund right now, today- you would pretty much never have to save another dime... you would have over $1 million when you retire. If you continued adding money to it, you could probably retire in your early 40's. Time is your friend in the market... people don't start until they are in their late 20's or early 30's... but that extra decade is awesome. And Index mutual fund is the simplest investment in the stock market. A mutual find is basically a whole bunch of stocks all rolled up into 1 stock. So they are more stable... but they also dont' go crazy and make you rich over night.

Is there any risk involved in this? How do you start?

Why aren't your parents teaching you anything?

Well my Dad doesn't live here anymore but I don't think my Mom knows much about the stock market. She has mentioned to me about getting the money out of the savings account and putting it somewhere else, but I forgot what it was. It might have been CDs or something like that. I am gonna ask her what she was talking about tonight.

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Is there any risk involved in this? How do you start?

Well my Dad doesn't live here anymore but I don't think my Mom knows much about the stock market. She has mentioned to me about getting the money out of the savings account and putting it somewhere else, but I forgot what it was. It might have been CDs or something like that. I am gonna ask her what she was talking about tonight.

You can start by opening an online brokerage like etrade if you want to DIY (free). Or you can just go see a financial advisor like Edward Jones or Merrill Lynch and have someone do it for you (and charge you).

Risk, yes in the short term. The overall market lost almost 40% a couple years ago... but that was the worst down turn since the depression. But in the long term, no there is very little risk- the stock market goes up over time- you just have to ignore the day to day or even year to year fluctuations. The stock market has never lost money over a 10 year period- it has always averaged around 10-12% a year. But that doesn't include dividends which makes the return substantially higher. It also assumes you put all your money in at a high point. Most advisors recommend "dollar cost averaging"- putting the same deposit in month after month regardless of what the market is doing. When it goes down, you puy $100 in and get more, when it goes up you put $100 in and get less... but it averages out. Had you bought a bunch of stock in 2008, you would have almost doubled your money now.

Indidual stocks are more risky, somewhat. Like you can buy Coca Cola or GE or something and you pretty much know that they are not going to go out of business. They are going to go up in value and they will also pay a dividend. But yeah, you could always buy the next Sirius and lose all your money. Bonds, CDs, money markets have no risk. You are going to get your money exactly when you want it and at the agreed upon rate.

A CD is what moms do. You go to your bank and give them $22k and they borrow the money for a specified period of time, say 12 months. You can't get the money back prior to the maturity date without paying a penalty (or in some cases, you just forfeit the interest). Then at the end of 12 months, you cash it out and they give you you original $22K, plus like 1.5%= so about $350. It is not worth it. It used to be better, you could get like 4 or 5% on CDs but not right now.

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Scientist, I am glad I came across your blog on Sherdog. Your posts might make me rich one day. Thanks.

What about 401k? I know a guy that put $56 into his for his initial deposit in October 2007 and has put $100 a month and now had $16,000. But I am not sure how 401k works either so there is probably way more to that.

edit: nvm, he said whatever he put in ($100 a month or so) was matched by his employer, and his bonuses went directly into it for tax purposes.

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 05:22 PM
I really should have paid attention in high school economics

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Scientist, I am glad I came across your blog on Sherdog. Your posts might make me rich one day. Thanks.

What about 401k? I know a guy that put $56 into his for his initial deposit in October 2007 and has put $100 a month and now had $16,000. But I am not sure how 401k works either so there is probably way more to that.

edit: nvm, he said whatever he put in ($100 a month or so) was matched by his employer, and his bonuses went directly into it for tax purposes.

A 401k is basically a retirement account your employer sets up. You don't have one as a busboy most likely and you can't get one. You need a Roth IRA (individual retirement account). A roth is taxed now, but the growth is not taxed. A regular IRA is pre-tax now, but taxed later. Since you have already paid tax on the money, you want a roth. Aside from that, at 20 years old you definitely want to take the hit now. But you can only put $5600 into an IRA per year. So the rest will have to go into a regular brokerage (fun!). Also, in an IRA or 401k you can't get the money out until you are 59.5 years old... since you are going to retire when you are like 42, you need access to the money.

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 05:32 PM
I really should have paid attention in high school economics

Well they don't teach you anything useful in basic econ, even in college. I didn't get interested in this stuff until I was in my late 20's. I started around 2005. But then I had kids and my wife stopped working, so I didn't have a lot of play money, I just did the responsible thing and funded the IRA. I am just now getting back into it.

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 05:35 PM

That is the benefit of the 401k, the employer does some match. So not only do you get the 10% return, you get an additional free money return from your employer, usually 100% on the first 3-5% you put in.

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 05:37 PM
sorry for the rants. There are 2 subjects which you cannot ask me about... this is one, I think you guys know the other.

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 05:47 PM
You don't have one as a busboy most likely and you can't get one.

Yeah, I realized after posting your employer sets the 401k up. I definitely don't have one now, I get paid under the table even. I am going to start reading up on all this stuff, it would be nice to have a fund to put my money into continuously and basically "get paid" for it.

Luke
04-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Poopoo who gave you 22,000?

Luke
04-12-2011, 05:52 PM

Everyone in America that bets is thinking the samething. Everyone is america is going to lose imo..........but my opinion doesnt always mean anything

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 05:53 PM
A good basic primer is "The only Investment Guide you Will Ever Need" by Andrew Tobias. It is a little more detail than you probably want at this point though. You could check out Dave Ramsey for a simplified approach as well- he is more of a get out od debt guy, then start your mutual funds. But he is on the radio or podcasts for free and is actually how I got started. My all time favorite investing book is "The Little Book that Beats the Market" by Joel Greenblatt. It is pretty much my investing manifesto... and the formula works.

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Poopoo who gave you 22,000?

Been consistently (well sort of) putting money in the bank since I was 16.

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Everyone in America that bets is thinking the samething. Everyone is america is going to lose imo..........but my opinion doesnt always mean anything

I am not thinking that. I think the opponents all have a chance and I would not be shocked to see any of them win. Though I do think they will all win, I wouldn't bet on it.

Luke
04-12-2011, 06:03 PM
I am not thinking that. I think the opponents all have a chance and I would not be shocked to see any of them win. Though I do think they will all win, I wouldn't bet on it.

The only thing I dont agree with that you said is "I do think they will all win" ,personally I dont. The two champs are each fighting legit #2's and Machida is on a 2 fight losing streak fighting someone that specifically wanted him . I may very well be wrong ,wouldnt be the first time

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 06:09 PM
I think all the underdogs have a chance of winning too. The 145 lb division is too shallow to truly know who the best is. Josh Grispi was supposed to be the #1 contender and got dominated by a Dustin Poirer. I can see Couture beating Machida for a decision based on how Rampage was able to cut the cage off and implement a similar strategy. (I do think Machida will win though, he is who I am most confident in). I also think Shields has a good chance to win. I am really interested in this fight tbh.

bigcityroyals
04-12-2011, 06:37 PM

I dominate IWS

http://www.picyes.com/i/1300052648.gif

hey zak,

http://www.picyes.com/i/kermitandp.jpg

Mr. IWS
04-12-2011, 06:45 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^Dam man, I was wondering when you were gonna post. LOL

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 06:51 PM
I dominate IWS

lol... you really are something of a legend. For a gut that only lasted a few months, you have had a lasting legacy. Congrats.

Petition to admit Sideloaded: signed.

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 06:54 PM
That has to be a troll. I don't think sideloaded is smart enough to embed pictures.

Luke
04-12-2011, 07:19 PM
That has to be a troll. I don't think sideloaded is smart enough to embed pictures.

Nope its him , I traced the IP address

Luke
04-12-2011, 07:20 PM
I told you all he was reading everyone of our posts everyday

Vandelay
04-12-2011, 07:25 PM
poopoo are u in college?

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 07:43 PM
poopoo are u in college?

Yeah

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 09:11 PM
I told you all he was reading everyone of our posts everyday

That is some serious dedication. Someone post where he posted on another forum ripping on IWS...

Sideloaded: http://art.ngfiles.com/images/40/theshrike_don-t-hate.jpg

Luke
04-12-2011, 09:26 PM
I think it was Zy who found him ripping us on 2+2 forum ............or was it poopoo that saw it on the SBRforum.........hell I dont know what i'm talking about

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 09:28 PM
SBR forum, in brooks campaign.

zY|
04-12-2011, 09:37 PM
SBR forum, in brooks campaign.

Yeah that. And he sent that wild PM to me on 2+2 about giving truckers handjobs at the rest stop or some shit.

zY|
04-12-2011, 09:37 PM
poopoo let me have your bank account information. I'm fucking jelly of that shit.

I'm going to have to start reading Uncle Jesse's book list.

Vandelay
04-12-2011, 09:39 PM
I have no idea how u gained money while going to college. Even if you live at home, there is no way to gain money while attending college unless your working full time and earning a good wage. Only other way it's possible is if your parent's pay for everything (gas, insurance, tuition, room and board, books, etc.)

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 09:43 PM
I have no idea how u gained money while going to college.

...giving truckers handjobs at the rest stop or some shit.

Mystery solved.
Poopoo = sideloaded

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 09:50 PM
poopoo let me have your bank account information. I'm fucking jelly of that shit.

I'm going to have to start reading Uncle Jesse's book list.

Truth. I didn't realize poopoo was rolling so hard. I am so full of envy for of his muscley youth and wealth in his mattress.

http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/tv/img/9774_Uncle-Jesse-2.jpg

Luke
04-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Mystery solved.
Poopoo = sideloaded

::lmao::

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 10:13 PM

I don't remember my account number, today during my deposit I had to go through a bunch of SSN/ID shit so I could make it.

I have no idea how u gained money while going to college. Even if you live at home, there is no way to gain money while attending college unless your working full time and earning a good wage. Only other way it's possible is if your parent's pay for everything (gas, insurance, tuition, room and board, books, etc.)

I don't go to a university yet, I go to a state college. I am going to get my associates degree there and then transfer to a university to get my bachelors. So I still live at home where I have no expenses except for gas basically. I get money back from my college (around $800-$1,000) a semester because I have Florida prepaid/florida bright futures scholarship which pays for my tuition so I get the leftover for whatever I want. I don't work full time either, I work 20 hours a week. Now it will be 10-15 hours because the snowbirds are going home. When I go to a university, things are gonna get more expensive for me because my food bill is ridiculous/I will have to pay rent for my apartment. While on this subject, I was actually thinking about not even going to a university and just live at home until I get my bachelors at the state college or another college locally so I can just keep saving a shit load of money. But then again, I kinda want to do something new because I am getting bored.

Truth. I didn't realize poopoo was rolling so hard. I am so full of envy for of his muscley youth and wealth in his mattress.

I am rolling so hard because SPX's Mom pays good for my oral services.

Mystery solved.
Poopoo = sideloaded

No I have never dreamed about fucking my Mom while using cocaine or whatever it was that he said.

Thewisemann
04-12-2011, 10:15 PM
maybe he sold weed to the college kids

SPX
04-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Petition to admit Sideloaded: signed.

Co-signed. For now.

Vandelay
04-12-2011, 10:33 PM
That makes sense. Once you go to a university, your bank account will be depleted quickly. you'll probably have to take out a loan as well if you decide to live on campus. unless i'm reading it wrong, I've never actually heard of someone getting paid by the college. When I went to community college it cost me about 110 dollars per credit hour so about 1650 per semester is what i paid. plus books made it about 2k a semester. Now that i'm at a university im paying about triple that (around 4000 after a scholarship) plus 400 for books. I'm commuting to school too which is about 40 min each way which uses up a tank a week. I'm in my 4th year of college and i guess i've paid about 24k so far. My bank acct was alot higher while at the community college. I was able to make a profit during those years, but now i cant even break even during the year. I probably have another 2 or 3 semesters to go till I graduate. I should be able to go through it without taking a loan out, it'll be close though.

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 10:42 PM
That makes sense. Once you go to a university, your bank account will be depleted quickly. you'll probably have to take out a loan as well if you decide to live on campus. unless i'm reading it wrong, I've never actually heard of someone getting paid by the college. When I went to community college it cost me about 110 dollars per credit hour so about 1650 per semester is what i paid. plus books made it about 2k a semester. Now that i'm at a university im paying about triple that (around 4000 after a scholarship) plus 400 for books. I'm commuting to school too which is about 40 min each way which uses up a tank a week. I'm in my 4th year of college and i guess i've paid about 24k so far. My bank acct was alot higher while at the community college. I was able to make a profit during those years, but now i cant even break even during the year. I probably have another 2 or 3 semesters to go till I graduate. I should be able to go through it without taking a loan out, it'll be close though.

My goal is to not go into my bank account for anything if I go to a university. The thing effecting my bank account would just be less deposits, since my cash will be saved up for that other purpose. And I am basically getting paid to go to college in a way, because I have money left over from my scholarship/pre-paid plan which I receive back on a issued debit card from school, and I can use this money on whatever I want. I actually used to deposit my money into Bodog when they allowed mastercard when I first started out betting like $5 on fights around UFC 104 haha. Things will get a little more expensive for me tuition/book wise once I get to a university if I decide to go..but at least I have that pre-paid/scholarship which will cover the tuition in full. Books are the worst thing imo, they are expensive as fuck

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 10:43 PM
You can pay for college as you go. No need to borrow money or spend down your savings. Just get a job and pay for it, if you think it is so important.

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 10:43 PM
College is a racket imo

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 10:45 PM
You can pay for college as you go. No need to borrow money or spend down your savings. Just get a job and pay for it, if you think it is so important.

Yeah, I don't plan on going into my savings/borrowing money. I am thinking about stopping being lazy for a little bit and go and study for a personal training test so I can get a certification and maybe get a job at some gyms and make some more money. That would be nice if that could be my job if I go to a university, good money with not that long of hours.

zY|
04-12-2011, 10:49 PM
College is a racket imo

I think so too.

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Yeah college is boring. I am just doing it because I have to.

Vandelay
04-12-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure how that works. The college is paying you money to attend their classes? I've heard of scholarships, grants, financial aid and such, but to actually earn money by going to a college? Maybe different states do it differently.

Vandelay
04-12-2011, 10:54 PM

I pay for it out of my checking acct at the beginning of each semester and then try and get back to that point before the next semester comes up. It's almost impossible to earn 4500 in 5 months while still paying for everyday expenses.

Thewisemann
04-12-2011, 10:55 PM
sell weed, youll make a killin

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 10:55 PM
^ work more hours. Go to a cheaper school. Take fewer classes over a longer period of time.

SPX
04-12-2011, 10:56 PM
sell weed, youll make a killin

Only if you grow it yourself, really.

Vandelay
04-12-2011, 10:57 PM
College is a racket imo

Sad part is, most career's require you to have a degree.

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure how that works. The college is paying you money to attend their classes? I've heard of scholarships, grants, financial aid and such, but to actually earn money by going to a college? Maybe different states do it differently.

I don't really get paid to attend their classes. It works like this:

I have Florida PrePaid and Florida Bright Futures scholarship.

They both cover my tuition and they are both applied to my account every semester.

The amount both of those programs pay per semester is over the amount of what my actual tuition charge is.

I get the left over money from the programs on a debit card per semester.

Do you understand? It's pretty simple

Thewisemann
04-12-2011, 11:00 PM
Only if you grow it yourself, really.

not nessesarily
but that will increase your profit

Vandelay
04-12-2011, 11:01 PM
^ work more hours. Go to a cheaper school. Take fewer classes over a longer period of time.

Any university will charge around 300 per credit hour and if you go to school for a longer period of time, your delaying the start of your career until your mid to late 20's. Honestly it is important to know what field you want to get into before you start college so that you don't take unnecessary classes. If I were to do it again, I probably would have taken a full schedule in the summer as well so that I could of graduated in about 3 years. I probably would have burned myself out doing that though.

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 11:04 PM
I think so too.

First of all, the product is shit. You can learn more on the internet. Second of all, the cost is outrageous and they price gouge you for everything... They have these kids by the balls because they all think it is a must that they go to college. It doesn't help you get a job, and it sure as hell doesn't make you smarter than the next guy. Fuckin white people sold all these people a bill of goods... You think you know what you want to be when you grow up when you are 18? You don't. You don't know any damn thing, how are you supposed to pick a major? Then if you pick the wrong one, it is almost completely worthless if you change your mind.

If you are going to be successful, you are going to be successful... just if you go to college it will happen 4-6 years later and $50k poorer. So not only are you out the money you spent, you are also out the 4 years of regular earnings. Or in my case, 7 years. Then your reward is that you MIGHT get a piece of shit job that you could have gotten anyway with a little ingenuity.

Don't sell out. Don't work for the man. Fight the power.

I am raising my kids to be entrepreneurs.

Note to impressionable college kids: stay in school.

You need that degree to do certain things like join the peace corp.

MMA_scientist
04-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Sad part is, most career's require you to have a degree.

You are living in the matrix. Break free.

SPX
04-12-2011, 11:10 PM
First of all, the product is shit. You can learn more on the internet.

I'm not sure I agree wholeheartedly with your rant.

I regret spending 2 years and $25K going to computer school, but I will admit I learned more and understand the shit better than I would if I had just bought a bunch of tech books and tried to teach myself. The same is true today for journalism.

There really is value in, if nothing else, having an experienced instructor to answer your questions and guide you through the minefield of learning something new.

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Don't work for the man.

How do you suggest this?

Vandelay
04-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Your a lawyer right scientist. It's almost impossible to become one without schooling. I'm majoring in education and I can't get a teaching job without a degree. It's just not possible. Would I have learned a lot more just shadowing a teacher or two for 2 years? probably, but you don't get a degree that way and without a degree you won't get a job.

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Your a lawyer right scientist. It's almost impossible to become one without schooling. I'm majoring in education and I can't get a teaching job without a degree. It's just not possible. Would I have learned a lot more just shadowing a teacher or two for 2 years? probably, but you don't get a degree that way and without a degree you won't get a job.

This is probably going to be my major as well.

Luke
04-12-2011, 11:39 PM

lawyer or teacher?

poopoo333
04-12-2011, 11:46 PM
lawyer or teacher?

Teacher. I want to get a degree in education. And the other career I am considering still has doors open if I decide not to actually use my degree to teach.

SPX
04-12-2011, 11:47 PM
And the other career I am considering still has doors open if I decide not to actually use my degree to teach.

Pro wrestler.

Mr. IWS
04-13-2011, 09:04 AM
I need:

Vandelay
poopoo333
SPX
edman5555
High5

Yeah, sooooooooooo, anyway..........

I still need Vandalay and Edman to chime in here.

Vandelay
04-13-2011, 10:29 AM
it was around 92 all together. So i won 92 off parlays, lost the 75 daley bet, lost 16 on saad awad and lost 5 on a big parlay. ended up down like 4 bucks after the event

Mr. IWS
04-13-2011, 11:17 AM
it was around 92 all together. So i won 92 off parlays, lost the 75 daley bet, lost 16 on saad awad and lost 5 on a big parlay. ended up down like 4 bucks after the event

What did this pay out?
Vandelay 1-0 +?
W mousasi, askren, hieron, not daley by sub, not beerbohm by sub 1u to win .96

Vandelay
04-13-2011, 12:25 PM
62 dollars I believe.

edman5555
04-13-2011, 12:50 PM
I am at work right now. I can't access my accounts. When I get home I will get the numbers for you. Sorry about the wait.

Mr. IWS
04-13-2011, 01:52 PM
I am at work right now. I can't access my accounts. When I get home I will get the numbers for you. Sorry about the wait.

No problem playa.

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 02:05 PM
How do you suggest this?

entrepreneurship

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure I agree wholeheartedly with your rant.

I regret spending 2 years and $25K going to computer school, but I will admit I learned more and understand the shit better than I would if I had just bought a bunch of tech books and tried to teach myself. The same is true today for journalism.

There really is value in, if nothing else, having an experienced instructor to answer your questions and guide you through the minefield of learning something new.

My point is that if you knew you wanted to be a journalist, you could spend those 4 years working for a publication. Experienced people would answer your questions for free, and you would actually get paid to learn the job... you will learn more, you will get actual usable experience, you will make important business contacts, AND you will get paid (not pay them).

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 02:15 PM

You don't know what you want to do... that is part of my point. A couple of weeks ago you wanted to be in the FBI and were thinking about law school. So you go to college, you pick from the list of 30 majors and you're off to make a living... you (not you specifically, the general "you"- college kids) think, well this seems like a stable career, summers off, low stress, union... I will be a teacher, it doesn't sound totally shitty. Then you get out of school, realize that there all the possible ways to make money in the world do not revolve around your college major, you realize that no matter how awesome a teacher you are, you are never ever going to own the school or make any money and there might be something else out there... but now its too late, it is hard to give up that steady paycheck and now you have a family that relies on your income, so you stay there... you become the fat history teacher that peers down the tops of sophmores, you chill with all the teachers in the teacher's lounge and bitch about whatever... but hey, you didn't know what else to do, and teaching seems ok...

college ruined your life.

SPX
04-13-2011, 03:03 PM
My point is that if you knew you wanted to be a journalist, you could spend those 4 years working for a publication. Experienced people would answer your questions for free, and you would actually get paid to learn the job... you will learn more, you will get actual usable experience, you will make important business contacts, AND you will get paid (not pay them).

Sure, but as Vandelay said, it would be difficult to not get on without a degree, or at least being in school at the time OR having prior experience.

This apprenticeship-type experience you're suggesting sounds good, but unless you're a blacksmith, I don't think a lot of people do that anymore.

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Sure, but as Vandelay said, it would be difficult to not get on without a degree, or at least being in school at the time OR having prior experience.

This apprenticeship-type experience you're suggesting sounds good, but unless you're a blacksmith, I don't think a lot of people do that anymore.

right- it is a racket. That is what I am saying. i understand it has to be done for certain jobs that you think you might want... but it is just a big fat cash grab and is totally unnecessary. Then you don't get to find out if you actually like that job until after you spend the money and time. Racket.

SPX
04-13-2011, 03:52 PM
right- it is a racket. That is what I am saying. i understand it has to be done for certain jobs that you think you might want... but it is just a big fat cash grab and is totally unnecessary. Then you don't get to find out if you actually like that job until after you spend the money and time. Racket.

the "you don't get to find out if you actually like that job" part is dead on. That's exactly how I feel about computer work. I guess in some ways I'm thankful that I've at least had some skills doing something that I don't 100% hate that have helped me to pay my bills and shit over the past decade, but I really never have enjoyed the shit and it's never been particularly fulfilling. Getting out of it and switching over to some other shit is a lot of money and work, which sucks.

I will say though that I actually kind of like school. It breaks up the monotony of my days and I do actually get to learn some shit. I think that even after I'm "done" with school that I'll probably still take a class or two in some shit that I'm interested in.

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 04:05 PM
I have no problem with taking classes in general. I used to teach college courses myself and I like to think I had some impact on some student somewhere. But in reality, I know I tought them nothing- I graded them for the abilities they already had.

I liked school too, you get to hang out with a bunch of 20 year olds and do nothing all day but mess around and play frisbee. It is awesome... but I don't try to pretend like I know more than someone that didn't go to college. The only thing I will say is that it forces you to take in information that you otherwise would not pursue. Had it not been for college, I would not have read Homer (well I read the Cliff's notes anyway). But had I wanted to, I could have learned it by reading a few articles... I just wouldn't have done it. So from that standpoint, yeah, you learn some shit you don't care to learn and I GUESS you are a more rounded person for it... so that is the value. But it is still a rip off.

I am raising my kids to be entrepreneurs. They will probably go to college, but not so they can earn a crack at some shitty job making some other guy rich.

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 04:10 PM
the "you don't get to find out if you actually like that job" part is dead on. That's exactly how I feel about computer work. I guess in some ways I'm thankful that I've at least had some skills doing something that I don't 100% hate that have helped me to pay my bills and shit over the past decade, but I really never have enjoyed the shit and it's never been particularly fulfilling. Getting out of it and switching over to some other shit is a lot of money and work, which sucks.

I have a friend who was a chemistry and mechanical engineering major at Purdue (a top engineering program). She got out, worked 2 years and quit and went back for a teaching degree (which she will probably hate also)... like you, she just didn't see the value in what she was doing... it just seemed like a job doing some shit to her... she, being a chick, wanted to do something with her life other than plug this number into that number and see if the thinhy goes zoom.

So I can get that. I went to law school basically on a whim. I didn't know what I wanted to do... I still don't. I sure as hell don't have any passion for law stuff. I like the business side of it, I like building and expanding and global domination... but I really don't give 2 shits about law stuff.

edman5555
04-13-2011, 05:01 PM
I consider going to nursing school. I am into health related stuff, I read about it a lot. It also can pay and has many diff areas to go into. Nursing school would help me meet a lot of women as well. But then I would be a nurse and I would constantly get made fun of.

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 05:23 PM
I consider going to nursing school. I am into health related stuff, I read about it a lot. It also can pay and has many diff areas to go into. Nursing school would help me meet a lot of women as well. But then I would be a nurse and I would constantly get made fun of.

Murse.

I guess I just have a different outlook on these things... why do you want to go to school so you can get a 9-5 job? It is going to suck. They all do. But aside from sucking, there is a cap on what you can accomplish. Am I the only person in here that thinks working a j-o-b is just the wrong goal to have?

Luke
04-13-2011, 05:26 PM

Dont ever give a shit what a bunch of douchebags say ,if you want to go to school for nursing go .

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Dont ever give a shit what a bunch of douchebags say ,if you want to go to school for nursing go .

I certainly wouldn't let getting made fun of stop me...

that said... http://insidefights.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Picture-5-e1289071714614-120x120.png

edman5555
04-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah I hear what your saying Scientist but on the other hand I need to pay bills as well.

Luke
04-13-2011, 05:33 PM
^^^^who the f is that?

edman5555
04-13-2011, 05:33 PM
There aren't a lot of J.o.b's out there and nursing is generally considered to be a prof with job secur.

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Yeah I hear what your saying Scientist but on the other hand I need to pay bills as well.

Yeah it is definitely a different situation if you have responsibilities like a family or debts... none of my philosophy on sticking it to the man applies if you have actual important obligations (then you have to work for the man and formulate your plan to stick it to the man in the left over hours).

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 05:37 PM
^^^^who the f is that?

It is GSP's male nurse that almost got his ass kicked by Koscheck on TUF.

edman5555
04-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah it is definitely a different situation if you have responsibilities like a family or debts... none of my philosophy on sticking it to the man applies if you have actual important obligations (then you have to work for the man and formulate your plan to stick it to the man in the left over hours).

Well I do not have a family but I can accidentally impregnate someone. The chances are pretty good, I like to drink and I have overactive penis disorder.

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 05:43 PM
There aren't a lot of J.o.b's out there and nursing is generally considered to be a prof with job secur.

Security pfft. I don't place a lot of value in that...

"Did they get you to trade... a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"

You guys are brainwashed. There is no security. And even if there is, why do you want it?

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Well I do not have a family but I can accidentally impregnate someone. The chances are pretty good, I like to drink and I have overactive penis disorder.

How old are you again?

edman5555
04-13-2011, 05:46 PM
I am 28

edman5555
04-13-2011, 05:47 PM
I have a decent job but I hate being there. I have no degree so I can't really go anywhere and get a job. I kind of look at it that way. If I am a nurse I can travel/work and be with all girls for a few years of school.

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 05:55 PM
I have a decent job but I hate being there. I have no degree so I can't really go anywhere and get a job. I kind of look at it that way. If I am a nurse I can travel/work and be with all girls for a few years of school.

I get it... I just... I really don't understand it to be honest.

Not the whole Murse thing, I am all on board with doing whatever you want to do or whatever is easy for you... don't care. I just don't get the way our society values "job security" and I just don't buy into the whole ants marching thing. I never have. It is one thing if that is your passion... if you want to teach kids and that is where your heart is- awesome. Same thing with nursing, if you are into it and that is genuinely what you want to do, I am all for it. I just don't understand why people in the 20's with no real responsibilities are so consumed with security... it is not like you are going to starve to death. You see college kids signing up to be accountants and shit because they know there are jobs out there... I know for a fact that no one actually wants to be an accountant... it just makes me sad to see 21 year old kids already trading in their lives for a steady paycheck.

personally, I hate security. I get bored so easily and I don't like the idea of knowing what the future holds. I have 2 kids and a wife and a mortgage... I still don't give a shit. They will be fine. Worst case scenario we go into debt and blow all of our money... but I am totally ok with that. Like I said, we aren't going to starve to death.

edman5555
04-13-2011, 05:56 PM
I get it... I just... I really don't understand it to be honest.

Not the whole Murse thing, I am all on board with doing whatever you want to do or whatever is easy for you... don't care. I just don't get the way our society values "job security" and I just don't buy into the whole ants marching thing. I never have. It is one thing if that is your passion... if you want to teach kids and that is where your heart is- awesome. Same thing with nursing, if you are into it and that is genuinely what you want to do, I am all for it. I just don't understand why people in the 20's with no real responsibilities are so consumed with security... it is not like you are going to starve to death. You see college kids signing up to be accountants and shit because they know there are jobs out there... I know for a fact that no one actually wants to be an accountant... it just makes me sad to see 21 year old kids already trading in their lives for a steady paycheck.

Yeah but on the other end of that, what are you going to do to survive? Your used to surviving so that freedom sounds nice. It kinda sounds like thats what your thinking about. The grass is always greener on the other side. If you weren't a lawyer you would have much more freedom but if you had to work at McDonalds you would probably wish you were a lawyer.

edman5555
04-13-2011, 05:57 PM
BTW you inspired me to put some pink floyd on.

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Yeah but on the other end of that, what are you going to do to survive? Your used to surviving so that freedom sounds nice. It kinda sounds like thats what your thinking about. The grass is always greener on the other side. If you weren't a lawyer you would have much more freedom but if you had to work at McDonalds you would probably wish you were a lawyer.

I am not talking about trading it in for an even shittier job. I am talking about self employment or freelance or whatever it is that you ACTUALLY want to do. Not what you think sounds safe. Not you specifically, again the general "you." If I wasn't a lawyer (I am self employed btw) I would just think about how I wanted to spend my time and do it... I would do what I had to do to make it work. I would live cheaply and save so I could implement my new plan for world domination. For me, I just cannot function without a light at the end of the tunnel (a short tunnel, not a work for 45 years and then retire with a cake and watch and live on nothing tunnel).

I just don't get what is so important about having this alledgedly secure job. I would rather take my shots and fail brilliantly (multiple times if necessary) than just go with the program and have the regret of having not really tried very hard.

It is probably just a massive character flaw I have. Who knows... obviously, no one is with me on this (what's new). Anyway, you fuckers can call me in 20 years and tell me I was right, I won't be mad.

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 06:30 PM
BTW you inspired me to put some pink floyd on.

I decided to go with the "Wish you were here" reference... I almost went with:

http://mylitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Ants-go-Marching.jpg

I think we can agree I made the right choice.

edman5555
04-13-2011, 06:38 PM
I hear what your saying in a lot of ways. For me nursing school is kind of a way of prolonging actual responsibility but gauruntee some sort of stability down the road. In my mind I will be doing some schoolwork and then banging nursing students while going out to the bar with intermitten vacations. Probably somewhat different from reality. Then again I live at home so I can save a lot of money before moving out so I might be able to live a pretty great life while in school. Regardless I don't like my job even though its not that bad, I have just had some serious issues with people I work with. If I stay there I am basically stuck in one spot forever, which is what scares me. As a nurse I can go anywhere and make enough money to get some freedom when I want it.

Thewisemann
04-13-2011, 06:43 PM
I love to stick it to the man, life is much better this way.

Thewisemann
04-13-2011, 06:47 PM
I am with you scientist.

edman5555
04-13-2011, 06:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLOth-BuCNY&feature=related

This reminds me of my weed smoking days, which were nice.

SPX
04-13-2011, 07:02 PM
I have a friend who was a chemistry and mechanical engineering major at Purdue (a top engineering program). She got out, worked 2 years and quit and went back for a teaching degree (which she will probably hate also)... like you, she just didn't see the value in what she was doing... it just seemed like a job doing some shit to her... she, being a chick, wanted to do something with her life other than plug this number into that number and see if the thinhy goes zoom.

So I can get that. I went to law school basically on a whim. I didn't know what I wanted to do... I still don't. I sure as hell don't have any passion for law stuff. I like the business side of it, I like building and expanding and global domination... but I really don't give 2 shits about law stuff.

I can understand that. I'm not really sure that being a full-time journalist is really what I want to do. It probably depends on exactly what I'm doing in the field. Most of what I've done so far involves phone interviews and online research, and what I really want to do is go out on location and do some real reporting.

But journalism really isn't THE thing that I went back to school for. It's actually filmmaking. The problem is that none of the film classes at the community college transfer to the U, so I'm focusing on getting an associates degree in journalism (or Communication to be specific) and then will take film classes when I get to the university.

With that said, I'm not even really sure I want to make films. I've always loved film, and I've always been cognizant of the impact a well-made documentary can have on people's psyche, but I've watched a few films get made and I have no idea if it's something I'd actually really like to do or not.

Life is so hard.

SPX
04-13-2011, 07:05 PM
I have no problem with taking classes in general. I used to teach college courses myself and I like to think I had some impact on some student somewhere. But in reality, I know I tought them nothing- I graded them for the abilities they already had.

You're probably being too cynical. I think a lot of skills/knowledge you pick up in class you kind of pick it up subconsciously. How many times have you gone through a class and felt like you didn't really learn anything, but when tested, you realized you actually learned a lot?

SPX
04-13-2011, 07:07 PM

Seconded. Fuck 'em.

With that said, if you do go to nursing school let us know . . . so we can make fun of you.

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 07:11 PM
I love to stick it to the man, life is much better this way.

The main motivation in my life is doing exactly the opposite of what I am supposed to do, and still having it work out for me. Sticking it to the man is really the most important thing you can do as a citizen.

SPX
04-13-2011, 07:11 PM
There is no security. And even if there is, why do you want it?

Financial security is actually pretty big on my list. I really hate worrying about money and wondering if I'll have enough to pay my rent the next month.

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 07:12 PM
This reminds me of my weed smoking days, which were nice.

This is probably why I was enevr attracted to marijuana (or any drug). I have never been high or drunk in my life. I just walk around like this all the time, I don't need to be stoned...

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Life is so hard.

Agreed. There is a definite balance between sticking it to the man and doing nothing. I do not support doing nothing (unless that is your ambition, in which case, move to the beach and chill).

For me, whatever risk I take is worth the risk of utter failure. I would rather just repeatedly fail at doing it on my own terms than mail it in.

edman5555
04-13-2011, 07:20 PM
This is probably why I was enevr attracted to marijuana (or any drug). I have never been high or drunk in my life. I just walk around like this all the time, I don't need to be stoned...

I don't get the why part. What is your reason? There has to be something. You have never smoked or drank at all? Not even a puff or sip?

Luke
04-13-2011, 07:30 PM
With that said, if you do go to nursing school let us know . . . so we can make fun of you.

LOLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Luke
04-13-2011, 07:32 PM
I don't get the why part. What is your reason? There has to be something. You have never smoked or drank at all? Not even a puff or sip?

I've read before people like that are control freaks, they have to be in complete control all the time so they dont drink or do drugs

SPX
04-13-2011, 07:41 PM
I've read before people like that are control freaks, they have to be in complete control all the time so they dont drink or do drugs

I've heard that before too, and in fact remember one guy who said that that was his reasoning for never anything

I was just like, Well more for me.

SPX
04-13-2011, 07:59 PM
All in all, Scientist, I hear what you're saying. I was more than happy to quit my job and to quit punching someone's time clock.

My hope is that in a few years I'll be successful at a number of things, all of which are projects of my own creation. I'd like to be a writer and filmmaker, as you know. I also have considered really buckling down when it comes to my bodybuilding interest and going for a personal trainer cert. And believe it or not, I even have an idea for a non-profit that I'd like to start.

I could see myself working for someone else and being fulfilled doing it though, provided that the work is in fact fulfilling and that I like the people I work for.

poopoo333
04-13-2011, 10:12 PM
It is probably just a massive character flaw I have. Who knows... obviously, no one is with me on this (what's new). Anyway, you fuckers can call me in 20 years and tell me I was right, I won't be mad.

I am with you. The thing is, I am going to college to get a degree so I can get a job and basically do everything you are against. But as of now, I have no idea what I actually want to do with my life, so I am just trying to go do something I would "enjoy". But if 5 years down the road after getting that job, and I finally find something I want to do, I will actually pursue it. I basically look at it like this: I am only going to live once, so I am going to do what I want to do. I am not worried about going broke and all of that said...like you said, I am not going to starve to death.

That being said, if I end up with a kid and a wife and shit like that, I am probably fucked unless I have a wife with money.

poopoo333
04-13-2011, 10:16 PM
My hope is that in a few years I'll be successful at a number of things, all of which are projects of my own creation. I'd like to be a writer and filmmaker, as you know. I also have considered really buckling down when it comes to my bodybuilding interest and going for a personal trainer cert. And believe it or not, I even have an idea for a non-profit that I'd like to start.

I also have thought about getting into the film industry because I have always been interested in that type of stuff since I was a kid (well when I was younger). And going for a personal trainer certification is easy by the way. I haven't done it yet, but I am pretty sure to get a basic certification you just sign up to take a test, buy the book..and study. I believe to "make it big" as a trainer, you need to get a degree in shit related to it. And when you mean "buckling down for your bodybuilding", do you mean actually taking it 100% serious and doing a show?

MMA_scientist
04-13-2011, 10:47 PM

Never. What I meant as far as the "why" is that I am already really laid back, like so much that it takes a lot people aback... I can be an opinionated prick on here, but I really am a live and let live sort of guy. I just flat out do not get wound up. LOL at me being a control freak. I am the opposite of a control freak... I totally just roll with the punches. The decision making process for my life has generally been whatever falls in my lap I will just sort of follow that... not a control freak at all. That said, I am extremely diligent about my life... no late payments, always fund retirement, I have never been in debt (I have never even had a credit card in my life), I stick to a schedule working out, etc. My kids are in bed at 730 every night, etc.

One other issue is that I come from a family of alcoholics and drug abusers. My brother is in prison, I have only met my father a handful of times but he is a drunk. I was raised in a religious home too, so I have always just stayed clean. I never really understood the attraction to alcohol or drugs at all. I was never even curious, and even now, I just think it is a giant waste of money and calories.

Luke
04-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Never. What I meant as far as the "why" is that I am already really laid back, like so much that it takes a lot people aback... I can be an opinionated prick on here, but I really am a live and let live sort of guy. I just flat out do not get wound up. LOL at me being a control freak. I am the opposite of a control freak... I totally just roll with the punches. The decision making process for my life has generally been whatever falls in my lap I will just sort of follow that... not a control freak at all. That said, I am extremely diligent about my life... no late payments, always fund retirement, I have never been in debt (I have never even had a credit card in my life), I stick to a schedule working out, etc. My kids are in bed at 730 every night, etc.

One other issue is that I come from a family of alcoholics and drug abusers. My brother is in prison, I have only met my father a handful of times but he is a drunk. I was raised in a religious home too, so I have always just stayed clean. I never really understood the attraction to alcohol or drugs at all. I was never even curious, and even now, I just think it is a giant waste of money and calories.

Sounds like a control freak to me.

I ORDER YOU IN BED AT 7:30 AND NOT A SECOND LATER

SPX
04-13-2011, 11:27 PM
I also have thought about getting into the film industry because I have always been interested in that type of stuff since I was a kid (well when I was younger).

I hear you. I don't know that I so much want to be "in the industry" as I want to make small, self-financed, but commercially successful films, but I definitely want (and plan) to make at least one film of some kind between now and the day I die. Will it be what I become known for? I don't know. But I want to do it for sure at least once.

And going for a personal trainer certification is easy by the way. I haven't done it yet, but I am pretty sure to get a basic certification you just sign up to take a test, buy the book..and study.

That's it. The only thing is that for most of the ones I've looked at, it's about $500ish for the study materials, and I rarely have $500 laying around, just chilling and shit.

I also think that, if I could find one that's affordable, it might be nice to actually take a class of some sort. Not necessarily go for a degree, but do maybe a 6 week deal or something and have access to an actual instructor with some experience.

And when you mean "buckling down for your bodybuilding", do you mean actually taking it 100% serious and doing a show?

Buckling down. That really means a lot of things.

For one, I'd have to put more weight on. I've gained 40 pounds over the last few years. Some of it's muscle, and some of it's not. I'm about 160 and, I think, about 17% bodyfat right now, and really I would probably want to be 180ish and 10% BF or less to be where I want to be. So I need to put on more weight and then shred some fat. My guess is I'd probably need a year or so of serious training to hit my goal.

As for doing a show, I've actually considered it. Getting on stage in bikini shorts and fake tan and posing with a bunch of dudes has never appealed to me in a serious way, but I wouldn't rule out doing it at least once.

BTW, I said I wasn't going to do this and open myself to ridicule, but since we're on the subject, here's a pic I just snapped. I know I really need to work on my shoulders and I really need to cut some fat. Also, the pic makes me look bigger/thicker than I really am, but that's how pictures do, as I'm sure you know. Nevertheless, I at least feel that I have a decent foundation to build on.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5025/5617689917_d9edfa82a5.jpg

Luke
04-13-2011, 11:34 PM
right click .........save as .......done

poopoo333
04-13-2011, 11:35 PM
I hear you. I don't know that I so much want to be "in the industry" as I want to make small, self-financed, but commercially successful films, but I definitely want (and plan) to make at least one film of some kind between now and the day I die. Will it be what I become known for? I don't know. But I want to do it for sure at least once.

Let's get together and make a documentary on sideloaded.

For the bodybuilding talk, I think people who do shows are extremely dedicated and people outside of the BBing world have no clue on what these guys do in preparation. That being said, I believe 90-95% of BBing is all diet if you are into competing, and that takes a lot of dedication/discipline. Training is the easy part. I am 99.7% sure I will never do a bodybuilding show..I think we have all had this discussion before. It's not that I don't want to prepare for one, I just don't want to get into posing trunks and flex in front of a crowd, that's just me. I don't even like the fact that a bunch of people are watching me lift when I do my powerlifting competitions.

As for your kinda gay picture: you are pale. I think you would benefit by a properly set up carb cycling diet (if you listen to everything I say and do everything I say I can help you with it). What does your training split look like?

Luke
04-13-2011, 11:39 PM
carb cycling diet?

training split?

English poopoo

poopoo333
04-13-2011, 11:42 PM
carb cycling diet?

training split?

English poopoo

A diet where your daily fat/carb/protein intake is manipulated, usually set up along the lines with your training split.

Training split=training schedule...what he does on each day

SPX
04-13-2011, 11:43 PM
I never really understood the attraction to alcohol or drugs at all.

That could largely be because you've never done it. I think that anyone who has ever had just the right amount of drinks to where they enter that "golden glow" and feel like all is right with the world would definitely understand the "why."

Or I'm reminded of one of the three times I did coke. I was in Guatemala and had just bought the shit off of some tuk-tuk drivers and the effect was immediate and awesome. The sense of energy, confidence, and general well-being I had was just fantastic.

Like Luke said though, you really do sound like a control freak. You kind of sound like you live your life like you're in the military. Maybe you are lying to yourself when you say you are laid back and don't get wound up. Let me ask you this: Would you get wound up if you WERE in debt, had no retirement fund, and your kids were total little shits?

Luke
04-13-2011, 11:45 PM
As for bodybuilding I am way too lazy to do that at this stage of my life, maybe 5 years ago but not now. I run and cycle and thats good enough for me , props to anyone that does do it though

Luke
04-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Like Luke said though, you really do sound like a control freak. You kind of sound like you live your life like you're in the military. Maybe you are lying to yourself when you say you are laid back and don't get wound up. Let me ask you this: Would you get wound up if you WERE in debt, had no retirement fund, and your kids were total little shits?

Good question .

I also notice that when everything is going fine and according plan in betting you're just fine but as soon as you lose some units you go into panic mode and want to go all in because you've lost control of your bankroll

poopoo333
04-13-2011, 11:50 PM
As for bodybuilding I am way too lazy to do that at this stage of my life, maybe 5 years ago but not now. I run and cycle and thats good enough for me , props to anyone that does do it though

Yeah I like training like a bodybuilder, I basically lift like a bodybuilder now, except I still focus on what I have to do to get my powerlifts stronger. But competition wise, I'd rather beat somebody by lifting more weight then them then beat someone for not having good symmetry on my asscheeks.

SPX
04-13-2011, 11:57 PM
For the bodybuilding talk, I think people who do shows are extremely dedicated and people outside of the BBing world have no clue on what these guys do in preparation. That being said, I believe 90-95% of BBing is all diet if you are into competing, and that takes a lot of dedication/discipline. Training is the easy part.

I know. I'm not ignorant of the sacrifices that are necessary, or the sort of dedication it takes to get down to 2-4% bodyfat. That's really why I'm on the fence about ever doing it, and if I did do it, it would probably be just once and just to say that I did.

As for your kinda gay picture: you are pale.

I figured you were gonna come back with some smart ass shit, but I admit that that wasn't what I was expecting.

I think you would benefit by a properly set up carb cycling diet (if you listen to everything I say and do everything I say I can help you with it). What does your training split look like?

As for diet, I've gotten all kinds of dieting advice from a lot of different sources. The truth though is that, at this point, my diet is pretty loose and that's because I'm just not that disciplined when it comes to food. I try to take in a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight and try to hit at least 3000 cals a day. But I also eat a shitload of fast food (not that that's actually bad when trying to put muscle on . . . it can actually be quite benificial) and drink a lot of beer (less beneficial). I think I know what I NEED to do in terms of diet. Actually doing it is another thing, though.

As for my training split, I usually do Chest and Back on Mondays, Biceps and Triceps on Wednesdays, and Legs and Shoulders on Saturdays. I'd like to move my shoulders to another upper body day, but I like to get in and get out and I'm not sure if that would be too much when combined with two other bodyparts.

SPX
04-13-2011, 11:59 PM

You're already practically married. I think that has a lot to do with it.

I freely admit that a lot of my motivation comes down to impressing the ladies. If I already had a woman and felt secure in that, I really have no idea how motivated I would be. It would be less, though. That's for damn sure.

SPX
04-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Good question .

I also notice that when everything is going fine and according plan in betting you're just fine but as soon as you lose some units you go into panic mode and want to go all in because you've lost control of your bankroll

That's true. Scientist does lose his damn mind after losing a few bets.

poopoo333
04-14-2011, 12:03 AM
As for diet, I've gotten all kinds of dieting advice from a lot of different sources. The truth though is that, at this point, my diet is pretty loose and that's because I'm just not that disciplined when it comes to food. I try to take in a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight and try to hit at least 3000 cals a day. But I also eat a shitload of fast food (not that that's actually bad when trying to put muscle on . . . it can actually be quite benificial) and drink a lot of beer (less beneficial). I think I know what I NEED to do in terms of diet. Actually doing it is another thing, though.

As for my training split, I usually do Chest and Back on Mondays, Biceps and Triceps on Wednesdays, and Legs and Shoulders on Saturdays. I'd like to move my shoulders to another upper body day, but I like to get in and get out and I'm not sure if that would be too much when combined with two other bodyparts.

meh I don't buy into fast food being quite beneficial to putting muscle on. Let's just say 75 grams of protein from a lean, homemade hamburger is more beneficial then eating 100 grams of protein from 2 double cheeseburgers from Mcdonalds, where the meat is processed. But that's just my opinion and we will probably disagree. I just know I am right. But I see what you are saying about how it is a bunch of calories and stuff, but maybe the fast food is why you are 17% body fat. Also the beer is bad too which you already know.

I'd give legs their own day. You are not one of those pussies that go in the gym and do leg press, leg extension, leg curls, and call it a day, are you?

SPX
04-14-2011, 12:20 AM
meh I don't buy into fast food being quite beneficial to putting muscle on. Let's just say 75 grams of protein from a lean, homemade hamburger is more beneficial then eating 100 grams of protein from 2 double cheeseburgers from Mcdonalds, where the meat is processed. But that's just my opinion and we will probably disagree. I just know I am right. But I see what you are saying about how it is a bunch of calories and stuff, but maybe the fast food is why you are 17% body fat.

I didn't totally buy into fast food until I started to read articles on T-Nation and found a few that really supported the use of fast food for building muscle. We can get into all kinds of discussions about diet. But I have run into so much contradictory information, which is often times based on isolated scientific studies, that I just keep it simple. When bulking, I focus on cals and protein. When I finally get around to cutting, I'll decrease cals and carbs. That's not to say that I'll never take into account more sophisticated dieting advice, but I do think that sometimes people get too caught up in the details.

As for your last question, no, I don't think it's the fast food. I think it's the beer. Interestingly, I didn't start gaining weight--or even believe that I COULD get weight--until I started drinking. All through high school and my early 20s I tried to get bigger and the highest I ever got was 126 lbs, which is what I weighed when I came out of basic training for the Army. I think I was 25 or 26 when I surpassed the 130 mark. Then when I moved to Utah in 2007 I started to really put some effort into it.

I'd give legs their own day. You are not one of those pussies that go in the gym and do leg press, leg extension, leg curls, and call it a day, are you?

Uhhh. . . Sometimes.

I'll be the first to admit that I have a SERIOUS love/hate relationship with legs. On good days I do squats, deads, leg extensions/curls, and calf raises. On bad days I puss it out.

poopoo333
04-14-2011, 12:33 AM
Yeah, too many debates on diet gets annoying. It's all personal and people figure different things that works for them. It's all personal.

Do deads on back day fag. And PLEASE don't tell me you are one of those guys that does half squats and thinks they are "parallel".

SPX
04-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Yeah, too many debates on diet gets annoying. It's all personal and people figure different things that works for them. It's all personal.

This was actually another thing I was going to say. There have been so many times where I've heard more experienced guys than me say "THIS works, and this doesn't" and some other dude will say the opposite. A lot of it does seem to be personal and maybe based on genetics. That's why I just stick to the basics. Eat a lot, including protein at every meal, and lift heavy. You'll grow.

Do deads on back day fag.

I know deads work the back, but I think of them primarily as a leg exercise. You don't?

And PLEASE don't tell me you are one of those guys that does half squats and thinks they are "parallel".

I'm not even sure what this means.

poopoo333
04-14-2011, 12:55 AM
I know deads work the back, but I think of them primarily as a leg exercise. You don't?

I'm not even sure what this means.

Deadlift is an overall body exercise. I don't have "back days" or anything, but when I used to do a body part split soley, I would do deadlifts on "back day". I just think to squat/deadlift effectively with heavy weight they should be done on different days.

And this is a half squat that this guy deems "parallel":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEekE_5zmwg

SPX
04-14-2011, 12:58 AM
And this is a half squat that this guy deems "parallel":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEekE_5zmwg

I don't get the whole "parallel" thing but I get the impression that you do really deep squats. Do you?

poopoo333
04-14-2011, 01:07 AM
I don't get the whole "parallel" thing but I get the impression that you do really deep squats. Do you?

Well yeah I have to. Gotta break parallel in competition or else it doesn't count. Besides that, I honestly don't get why people squat high at all except to boost their egos. It's bad for your knees and doesn't do shit to get your legs jacked and tan like mine.

SPX
04-14-2011, 01:09 AM
Well yeah I have to. Gotta break parallel in competition or else it doesn't count. Besides that, I honestly don't get why people squat high at all except to boost their egos. It's bad for your knees and doesn't do shit to get your legs jacked and tan like mine.

LOL

First off, what's your obsession with tanning?

Second, I would probably need a video camera to know for sure how deep I go. I think I go parallel. I know I feel like I do.

poopoo333
04-14-2011, 08:31 AM
LOL

First off, what's your obsession with tanning?

Second, I would probably need a video camera to know for sure how deep I go. I think I go parallel. I know I feel like I do.

I am not tan at all. It's just a funny phrase people throw around because of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JMOh-cul6M

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 09:16 AM
That could largely be because you've never done it. I think that anyone who has ever had just the right amount of drinks to where they enter that "golden glow" and feel like all is right with the world would definitely understand the "why."

Maybe... I feel pretty good most of the time though, I am pretty happy-go-lucky...

My kids are 2 and 4... I need then to go to bed so that I can get at least 5 hours of sleep... it is not a control thing. They wake up at 530 whether they go to bed at 730 or midnight. I don't get upset when they stay up or anything and lol at the military... I definitely do not rule with an iron fist. I just try to make the right decisions for me and for them. My personal belief is that a lot of your life is luck, but you can definitely push the odds in your favor by making the right decisions on a daily basis. If not going into debt and making sure my kids are in bed makes me military, then ok, I guess I am military. But in truth that is like the opposite of reality...

Lying to myself... well, I have always been this way. I just don't have what you would call anxiety at all. I just don't worry very much about stuff and I don't get that upset when things go off track. I almost immediately go to "ok that happened, nothing I can do about that. What's next."

Would I be upset if I were in debt and kids were demons? Well, I wouldn't be upset in the way you probably mean it. Like I wouldn't get all worked up or angry or depressed or anything. I would just try to change it. I mean, shit goes awry in my life all the time. I have had several failed business attempts, sick people, unavoidable medical expenses, etc. I make a ton of mistakes. That is what I mean, I don't really give a shit if the stuff I do works out or not. If it doesn't, I just try again, all is not lost. It never is... I guess it is just my perspective. It is never that bad.

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Good question .

I talked about making a kamikaze bet one time, after an extended losing streak... not like I push all in every time I lose. If I did, I wouldn't be here 18 months after I started posting my plays. But at the time, I was thinking about retiring. My view on this is that if I can win, great I will keep doing it, it is fun and I make money. But if I can't beat the books, I am not doing it... I actually don't like to gamble at all. So at the time, it felt like I was just gambling, and I was going to get out and turn my attention elsewhere. If that makes me a control freak, ok.

I mean, I don't take any offense to being a control freak, most of the greatest men in our history were massive control freaks. It is just that I don't think that is accurate on any level... Nor do I take any pride in being laid back, I just am, it is just how I am wired. It actually pisses most of the people in my life off because I get the comment a lot that I don't care about anything and nothing motivates me...

But if you guys want to think I am control freak that cannot break routine or have alcohol so I don't lose control, that's fine. If I have the choice of control or no control, I admit that I definitely choose control.

Maybe I am a control freak. Maybe that is why I don't like working for other people. But I also don't tell other people what to do very much... I think the term control freak implies that you want to control everything around you, which I definitely do not do. But I do liek being in control of my own life, so i don't know, maybe you are on to something.

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Financial security is actually pretty big on my list. I really hate worrying about money and wondering if I'll have enough to pay my rent the next month.

Yeah, I would not like that feeling either... but if I had no money at all, I would get a job and then build my empire part time. Or I would cut my expenses or move home or live in a tent or something (if I was single).

Mr. IWS
04-14-2011, 09:43 AM
I don't really give a shit if the stuff I do works out or not. If it doesn't, I just try again, all is not lost. It never is... I guess it is just my perspective. It is never that bad.

I lost my job like 3 years ago, and adopted this policy to my life. I am a much happier person now. I focus on the good shit in my life now, its just healthier that way. I used to walk around mad as shit all the time, would fly off the handle for the littlest thing, and for what? I got two great kids, a hot wife who worships me. Fuck everything else, that is all I need.

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 09:44 AM
All in all, Scientist, I hear what you're saying. I was more than happy to quit my job and to quit punching someone's time clock.

I could see myself working for someone else and being fulfilled doing it though, provided that the work is in fact fulfilling and that I like the people I work for.

I have respect for what you are trying to do... not the way I would do it, but still, you are trying to make some shit happen, and for that I have nothing but applause.

As for your bodybuilding... it is going to be funny when you spend a couple years bulking up, and then lose interest/find a girl/get a job, and forget to shed the weight. I look forward to calling you fat.

Seriously though, I make fun of bodybuilding, but I am just giving you shit... good for you.

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 09:53 AM
I lost my job like 3 years ago, and adopted this policy to my life. I am a much happier person now. I focus on the good shit in my life now, its just healthier that way. I used to walk around mad as shit all the time, would fly off the handle for the littlest thing, and for what? I got two great kids, a hot wife who worships me. Fuck everything else, that is all I need.

That's more or less the way I feel about it. Out of 1000 people, I probably have more good fortune than 999 of them. I just find it small to get all worked up about stupid shit... I really can't ask for a more stacked deck in my favor. I am a totally healthy white male in America, I have my wits about me, and I have people that care about me. If some small shit happens to me along the way, well, that is life. But if you put into perspective, what is there to be pissed about? Poor me, I was born into literally the most advantageous position in the history of time. So I got fired (which I have), I will get another job.

The only thing that would absolutely wreck me is if one of my kids died. I don't know if I could pull it together after that.

Mr. IWS
04-14-2011, 10:28 AM
The only thing that would absolutely wreck me is if one of my kids died. I don't know if I could pull it together after that.

I think the only thing that would make me pull through is if I still had one of them. If they both died, I think Me and my wife would just kill ourselves. At that point, what is there really to live for?

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 10:47 AM
I think the only thing that would make me pull through is if I still had one of them. If they both died, I think Me and my wife would just kill ourselves. At that point, what is there really to live for?

If either one of my kids died... in my mind I know that life goes on, you have to be there for the other kid, but I think it is the only thing that would seriously off-balance me.

On a related note, I have friend who's kid killed himself in highschool. That has got to be the worst fate imaginable. If my kid killed himself, I would just be lost... I would probably jump off a bridge. It is my worst fear.

poopoo333
04-14-2011, 11:46 AM
I am a totally healthy white male in America

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 11:53 AM

I don't get it.

poopoo333
04-14-2011, 11:56 AM
I just thought it was funny when I read you mentioned you were white. I don't have any opinions about that statement, I just think it was funny

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I just thought it was funny when I read you mentioned you were white. I don't have any opinions about that statement, I just think it was funny

Just saying... I have been given an advantageous position in life. A white guy in America... not generally regarded as the toughest road to success. Not that I think it gives me any actual advantages, but no one is going to discriminate against me in a job application because of the fact that I am white and male. No one is really trying to keep me down.

SPX
04-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I talked about making a kamikaze bet one time, after an extended losing streak... not like I push all in every time I lose. If I did, I wouldn't be here 18 months after I started posting my plays. But at the time, I was thinking about retiring. My view on this is that if I can win, great I will keep doing it, it is fun and I make money. But if I can't beat the books, I am not doing it... I actually don't like to gamble at all. So at the time, it felt like I was just gambling, and I was going to get out and turn my attention elsewhere.

You really think you could just walk away like that? You've made the comment plenty of times that if you busted out you'd just end up reloading anyway.

And where would you be in life without IWS?

But if you guys want to think I am control freak that cannot break routine or have alcohol so I don't lose control, that's fine. If I have the choice of control or no control, I admit that I definitely choose control.

So what's the deal with alcohol then? It seems you'd have tried a few drinks here or there a) just to do something new in life, and b) so that you can speak educatedly about such a widespread experience when in the company of others.

SPX
04-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I would not like that feeling either... but if I had no money at all, I would get a job and then build my empire part time. Or I would cut my expenses or move home or live in a tent or something (if I was single).

I actually lived in my car once. Right after I moved to Minnesota (and this was during the winter and shit) I didn't know anyone there and didn't have the money to move into a place, so I lived out of a Jeep Cherokee for 2 months. It sucked.

SPX
04-14-2011, 01:30 PM
I have respect for what you are trying to do... not the way I would do it, but still, you are trying to make some shit happen, and for that I have nothing but applause.

As for your bodybuilding... it is going to be funny when you spend a couple years bulking up, and then lose interest/find a girl/get a job, and forget to shed the weight. I look forward to calling you fat.

Seriously though, I make fun of bodybuilding, but I am just giving you shit... good for you.

Thanks. A big part of what's motivating me right now is that I'm rapidly heading toward 30 years old. I really don't want to turn 30 and still be living like I'm a college kid.

My motivation is basically to make as much shit happen between now and my birthday that I can and just kind of catch up on goals that have been around for a long time--some of them have been goals since I was a teenager. This includes basic things like move into a bigger apartment (my apartment is TINY . . . 220 sq. ft.), get a car, and stabilize my financial situation. It also includes other goals like my physical goals that I want to achieve and some other things in other areas of interest that I have.

I've got between now and the end of December to do some big shit.

SPX
04-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Just saying... I have been given an advantageous position in life. A white guy in America... not generally regarded as the toughest road to success. Not that I think it gives me any actual advantages, but no one is going to discriminate against me in a job application because of the fact that I am white and male. No one is really trying to keep me down.

This reminds me about the part in the Freakanomics documentary when they were talking about white names and black names and how they impact your path to success.

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 01:36 PM
You really think you could just walk away like that? You've made the comment plenty of times that if you busted out you'd just end up reloading anyway.

And where would you be in life without IWS?

I could easily walk away if I was convinced that I had no edge. Where would I be? Probably I would still post here because I like to shoot the shit with you guys... but I have been focusing a lot more on the market lately anyway, so I would try to get Zak to start a stocks subforum or I would be back on the grappling forum. Gotta have something to keep me busy at work.

So what's the deal with alcohol then? It seems you'd have tried a few drinks here or there a) just to do something new in life, and b) so that you can speak educatedly about such a widespread experience when in the company of others.

When I was younger, it was because I knew that I had an addictive and risk taking personality and I didn't want to end up like my dad (and many others in my family). But then when I got old enough to realize I can make my own decisions, it became more just a way to not conform to the expectations of others. I just don't see the benefit to me, only downside. It is like making a bet where you can only lose money, never win. Nothing good can come of it for me, so why would get involved... I sure as hell don't care if I fit in. Also, I really do think it is a waste of money and a lot of people use it to take the edge off... but I like the edge on, I don't want to take the edge off. I mean, I have had beer before (a couple sips when when I was a kid), and it taked like pisswater to me... I don't push through unpleasant shit just so I can fit in. I have never understood "acquired tastes"- if it is gross, I don't go back. I also don't drink coffee for the same reason- it is gross so why would I keep drinking it? It is not like it is something I need or is good for me, so I don't understand why people push through the unpleasantness until they like it.

Bottom line is that I just don't see the upside on any level and it is sort of matter of principle to me now.

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks. A big part of what's motivating me right now is that I'm rapidly heading toward 30 years old. I really don't want to turn 30 and still be living like I'm a college kid.

My motivation is basically to make as much shit happen between now and my birthday that I can and just kind of catch up on goals that have been around for a long time--some of them have been goals since I was a teenager. This includes basic things like move into a bigger apartment (my apartment is TINY . . . 220 sq. ft.), get a car, and stabilize my financial situation. It also includes other goals like my physical goals that I want to achieve and some other things in other areas of interest that I have.

I've got between now and the end of December to do some big shit.

good on you. if it doesn't work out by your bday, what happens?

funny you are looking for a bigger place, I actually am trying to sell my place now and simplify my life. We are actually thinking about auctioning off every thing we own and just keeping the things that are actually important to us.

I live here now: EDIT. forgot about those stalkers, don't want my wife's pictures showing up on here.

Trying to move into a 1000sqft home to traumatize my kids. But my wife is on board... and I am pretty excited about it really.

SPX
04-14-2011, 01:45 PM
I mean, I have had beer before (a couple sips when when I was a kid), and it taked like pisswater to me... I don't push through unpleasant shit just so I can fit in. I have never understood "acquired tastes"- if it is gross, I don't go back. I also don't drink coffee for the same reason- it is gross so why would I keep drinking it? It is not like it is something I need or is good for me, so I don't understand why people push through the unpleasantness until they like it.

I had a similar experience. I was 14 when I first drank beer. It was a Budweiser that my step-dad had given me. I thought it was disgusting then and I still don't like Bud to this day. In fact, when I first started drinking, I avoided beer at all costs. I just didn't like it. But for me, one of the biggest lessons was learning that not all beer tastes the same. The first beer that I really found that I actually kind of liked was Corona. Now I'm more into local micro-brews. If I'm broke, I drink PBR. But there is a huge world of beer out there. A good hefeweizen really tastes nothing like a Coors Light.

As for pushing through even when it tastes like shit, though, I think that's all about the effect. You may not find any value in it (or may not think you would if I tried it), but a lot of people do.

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 01:50 PM
I had a similar experience. I was 14 when I first drank beer. It was a Budweiser that my step-dad had given me. I thought it was disgusting then and I still don't like Bud to this day. In fact, when I first started drinking, I avoided beer at all costs. I just didn't like it. But for me, one of the biggest lessons was learning that not all beer tastes the same. The first beer that I really found that I actually kind of liked was Corona. Now I'm more into local micro-brews. If I'm broke, I drink PBR. But there is a huge world of beer out there. A good hefeweizen really tastes nothing like a Coors Light.

As for pushing through even when it tastes like shit, though, I think that's all about the effect. You may not find any value in it (or may not think you would if I tried it), but a lot of people do.

Yeah, to be honest, I would probably get into a lot of the microbrew stuff and I am sure I would like wine. I am something of a foodie, so I really do miss the wine or mixed drink when I am having a good meal. But it is just a way of life for me now. Once I draw a line in the sand on something, I stick to it. I used to drink a couple of 20oz Mt. Dews a day, but in 2005 I just said, I am not drinking soda anymore. I have not had a soda since. I sometimes consider going back to just an occasional coke when I want one... but I just can't break my vow. Fuck, maybe I am a control freak. I am having some self discovery here.

SPX
04-14-2011, 01:51 PM
good on you. if it doesn't work out by your bday, what happens?

funny you are looking for a bigger place, I actually am trying to sell my place now and simplify my life. We are actually thinking about auctioning off every thing we own and just keeping the things that are actually important to us.

I live here now: EDIT. forgot about those stalkers, don't want my wife's pictures showing up on here.

Trying to move into a 1000sqft home to traumatize my kids. But my wife is on board... and I am pretty excited about it really.

If it doesn't work out by my b-day then I just press forward, but I really want to enter my 3rd decade on this planet in as good of shape as possible.

Yeah, I'm trying to get a bigger place, but you have to remember that where I'm at right now is less than 1/4th of the size of the smaller place that you're looking to move into. I can't even comfortably get a couch in here for company to sit on. Basically, I want a place where I can actually move around a little and also where I can entertain guests on fight night and whatnot.

I do support your plan of simplification though, especially if it saves money. My problem is that right now my situation is a little TOO simple.

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 01:55 PM
A bunch of my buddies are into homebrews and stuff. They are always having these homebrew parties and of course I never go... so from that perspective, I guess I am sacrificing something... but it is worth the trade off to me. Sometimes when I want to mess around with people I will tell them I am in recovery. I just liek to watch the reactions. It ranges from "good for you buddy" to "oh man, I am sorry... stammer... I didn't know..." good times

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 02:00 PM
If it doesn't work out by my b-day then I just press forward, but I really want to enter my 3rd decade on this planet in as good of shape as possible.

Yeah, I'm trying to get a bigger place, but you have to remember that where I'm at right now is less than 1/4th of the size of the smaller place that you're looking to move into. I can't even comfortably get a couch in here for company to sit on. Basically, I want a place where I can actually move around a little and also where I can entertain guests on fight night and whatnot.

I do support your plan of simplification though, especially if it saves money. My problem is that right now my situation is a little TOO simple.

I lived in a place that was about that size when I was in college, it was definitely under 300sqft. But it was free and it was only for a couple years. I can see wanting a bigger place for sure.

For us, it isn't really about the money, although that will be nice. It is more about just cutting the shit from our lives and getting down to the important stuff. Like, we are probably going to be dumping the televisions and stuff like that. Just make a list of the things we actually enjoy and the the stuff we actually value and then just go to that... no extra.

SPX
04-14-2011, 02:02 PM
For us, it isn't really about the money, although that will be nice. It is more about just cutting the shit from our lives and getting down to the important stuff. Like, we are probably going to be dumping the televisions and stuff like that. Just make a list of the things we actually enjoy and the the stuff we actually value and then just go to that... no extra.

Don't you actually order the fights sometimes, though?

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Don't you actually order the fights sometimes, though?

Yeah occasionally at my place. But 90% of the time I go to a buddy's house to watch. I only watch at my house when I am having some jj pals over, since his wife doesn't like to have the riffraff in the house, I have them over to mine.

edman5555
04-14-2011, 02:45 PM
When I am not stealing them over the internet I go over to a friends house and watch them there. He has a nice couch and he makes really good dip. I usually throw him some money, 10-20 dollars. Kinda expensive but it is usually just three of us. I have a really nice computer monitor though so stealing it from Dana White isn't that bad. It is a 23'' HD monitor. It's funny to think about it but I am actually stealing from Dana, and the Fertitta brothers.

SPX
04-14-2011, 03:03 PM
When I am not stealing them over the internet I go over to a friends house and watch them there. He has a nice couch and he makes really good dip. I usually throw him some money, 10-20 dollars. Kinda expensive but it is usually just three of us. I have a really nice computer monitor though so stealing it from Dana White isn't that bad. It is a 23'' HD monitor. It's funny to think about it but I am actually stealing from Dana, and the Fertitta brothers.

I've got my computer hooked up to my TV, so I have a nice enough display for streams, but there are a lot of other complications that make me wistful of the days when I had cable and enough money to buy the UFCs every month. You don't have to look for streams, you don't have to look for new ones when the one you're watching goes down, the quality is better.

poopoo333
04-14-2011, 03:03 PM
aww man I missed out on another picture Scientist posted then deleted

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 03:31 PM
aww man I missed out on another picture Scientist posted then deleted

lulz. Just of my house. We set up a website to sell it, but it had my wife's profile pic for blogger on there... and it also had her and my phone numbers. I don't mind most of you guys, but I don't want sideloaded calling my wife at 2am telling her he is whacking off to an imaginary orgy involving his mom, my wife and truckers at a rest stop...

If you really want to see pictures of me, my house, family, whatever, I will PM you because I (probably mistakenly) trust you. I don't really care about my own pics, but I don't want you guys spanking it to my wife.

SPX
04-14-2011, 03:51 PM
I don't mind most of you guys, but I don't want sideloaded calling my wife at 2am telling her he is whacking off to an imaginary orgy involving his mom, my wife and truckers at a rest stop...

LOL

. . . but I don't want you guys spanking it to my wife.

I wouldn't either. Zak doesn't care about that, though.

Mr. IWS
04-14-2011, 04:01 PM
LOL

I wouldn't either. Zak doesn't care about that, though.

LOL

SPX
04-14-2011, 04:05 PM
LOL

Don't you remember that conversation about sideloaded a while back?

Mr. IWS
04-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Don't you remember that conversation about sideloaded a while back?

Yeah, I remember. funny shit.

Luke
04-14-2011, 06:29 PM
lulz. Just of my house. We set up a website to sell it, but it had my wife's profile pic for blogger on there... and it also had her and my phone numbers. I don't mind most of you guys, but I don't want sideloaded calling my wife at 2am telling her he is whacking off to an imaginary orgy involving his mom, my wife and truckers at a rest stop...

If you really want to see pictures of me, my house, family, whatever, I will PM you because I (probably mistakenly) trust you. I don't really care about my own pics, but I don't want you guys spanking it to my wife.

::lmao::::lmao::

Luke
04-14-2011, 06:31 PM
and for what its worth MMAscientist me and X were just screwing with you yesterday to see if you'd blow up or not . I'm a bit of a control freak about important things myself ,things that dont matter I could careless about

MMA_scientist
04-14-2011, 09:53 PM
^^ Thanks. I can just see you two little homos texting back and forth like a couple of school girls... "scientist thinks he's so cool, let's bring down a peg!"

In all seriousness, I never really thought of it like that. I guess I really do have a little bit of on obsessive attitude about pursuit of independence. I wouldn't call myself a "control freak" because I only try to control myself. I don't like telling other people what to do and I definitely don't need to control my environment. When I was teaching, my class was out of control, and I would just go along with it. I figured, it will be over in an hour. But I guess I do get a little control oriented about my finances and life, just because I really value independence.

poopoo333
04-14-2011, 11:53 PM

I guess I am curious to see what a lawyer's house looks like. I don't need pictures of you to fap to.

I mean your wife.

MMA_scientist
04-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Well, it looks like everyone else's house. Actually, it looks like a chick's houe because my wife decorated it. I sent youthe link

Luke
04-15-2011, 02:56 PM
dont do it MMAscientist poopoo is a internet stalker, he'll be AT your house this weekend if you show him where it is

MMA_scientist
04-15-2011, 03:00 PM
lol, probably. In my heart I know he just wants to get more info on me and doesn't give a shit about my house... but I really don't care. What's he going to do? His tiny chinese weiner has nothing to offer my wife... so it seems pretty harmless. I suppose he could come ove and deadlift me or something...

SPX
04-15-2011, 03:26 PM
His tiny chinese weiner has nothing to offer my wife...

LOL

I suppose he could come over and deadlift me or something...

LOLx2

Luke
04-15-2011, 03:36 PM
His tiny chinese weiner has nothing to offer my wife... so it seems pretty harmless. I suppose he could come ove and deadlift me or something...

::lmao::::lmao::::lmao::::lmao::::lmao::::lmao::

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb426/Tree_Phiddy/Gifs/98659685.gif

poopoo333
04-15-2011, 09:30 PM
lol, probably. In my heart I know he just wants to get more info on me and doesn't give a shit about my house... but I really don't care. What's he going to do? His tiny chinese weiner has nothing to offer my wife... so it seems pretty harmless. I suppose he could come ove and deadlift me or something...

No I really don't wanna "get more info" on you but luke is right, I am on my way. And my weiner is only half chinese so its bigger then an inch