PDA

View Full Version : Nick Diaz plans to box Vargas or Lacy later this year

Luke
04-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Strikeforce (http://www.sherdog.com/organizations/Strikeforce-716) welterweight champion Nick Diaz (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Nick-Diaz-2831) is considering a boxing (http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Update-Nick-Diaz-to-Box-in-2011-31622#) career.

The Strikeforce welterweight champion conducted an interview with HDNet's “Inside MMA” following the successful defense of his title against Paul Daley (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Paul-Daley-4270), wherein the champion hinted at his dissatisfaction with the sport (http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Update-Nick-Diaz-to-Box-in-2011-31622#) of mixed martial arts.

“[MMA] doesn't have anybody else for me to fight right now. I'm better than all these guys they have,” said Diaz. “The guys [the media] have ranked above me, I'm sure they don't want to fight me. I don't see much of a future in this sport for me. I honestly don't, especially if there's not a whole [lot] of money going on.”

In a separate interview, Diaz’s manager, Cesar Gracie (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Cesar-Gracie-14882), told “Inside MMA” co-host Kenny Rice that Diaz has signed a contract to box Fernando Vargas, likely in September or October.

“We're looking at some guys with name recognition. Maybe not the top guy in the world, necessarily, but someone that the public knows. I would love [Fernando] Vargas to get in there with [Nick],” Gracie said. “I know they've contacted [Vargas], and he's very interested. We've actually already signed on the dotted line ourselves for that fight, and we're waiting for [Vargas to sign] now.”

Talking with Gracie on Thursday afternoon, the manager and former fighter told Sherdog.com that due to an "unknown medical issue" with Vargas, boxer Jeff Lacy is now Diaz's top choice. The switch in plans was first reported by MMAWeekly.com.

The episode of “Inside MMA” featuring Diaz and Gracie will air on Friday night at 9 p.m. ET on HDNet (http://www.hdnetfights.com/). Also featured on the episode will be Strikeforce lightweight king Gilbert Melendez (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Gilbert-Melendez-5545), UFC hall of famer Royce Gracie (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Royce-Gracie-19), former Sengoku (http://www.sherdog.com/organizations/Sengoku-1249) middleweight champ Jorge Santiago (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Jorge-Santiago-5735) and special guest host Michael Schiavello.

zY|
04-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Posturing.

Mr. IWS
04-15-2011, 08:58 AM
I hope it goes down. Ill be on Vargas or Lacy, doesnt matter to me.

edman5555
04-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Nick must be doing this for a payday. I looked this guy up, he is a very good boxer. Olympic trails, Olympic team, National am. champ, experienced. He looks really big too(Lacy). I can't imagine Nick is a better boxer than this guy. They have to know what a hard fight this is for Nick so why take it? It has to be the money, he could be getting a lot for the fight.

Luke
04-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Vargas hasnt fought in 4 years and Lacy has been a bum since 2006

Mr. IWS
04-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Vargas hasnt fought in 4 years and Lacy has been a bum since 2006

True dat, but who you got?

Luke
04-15-2011, 11:56 AM
True dat, but who you got?

Vargas without a doubt would still beat Diaz easily .Lacy would be the easier fight for Diaz but Lacy is so big and powerful he'd just walk through Diaz's punches and kill him inside . Either guy "should" win easily

bloydie
04-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Nah i cant see this happening, he's just trying to do it for more money. Lacy is like Super Middle, and Vargas probably couldnt make middle anymore. Your telling me he's going to give up experience and a weight advantage to them, no way.

They should bring in Mayorga, it would probaly be one of the greatest build-ups to a fight they could ask for. Also Mayorga was kind of willing to do mma until king stopped him. This fight would be far more fun.

Luke
04-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Nah i cant see this happening, he's just trying to do it for more money. Lacy is like Super Middle, and Vargas probably couldnt make middle anymore. Your telling me he's going to give up experience and a weight advantage to them, no way.

They should bring in Mayorga, it would probaly be one of the greatest build-ups to a fight they could ask for. Also Mayorga was kind of willing to do mma until king stopped him. This fight would be far more fun.

Diaz fights at 170 bloydie he actually weighs about the same as Lacy or Vargas . The most Lacy has ever weighed is 172 I think and Vargas should easily be able to make 170 since he fought at 154.

I'm with you I doubt it ever happens though ,I dont think anyone is going to be willing to give Diaz enough money to box .

SPX
04-15-2011, 03:30 PM
There's been a lot of talk about MMA fighters taking boxing matches, but it never seems to actually happen. Diaz has talked about it before. Anderson Silva has talked about it. Arlovski has talked about it. But who's actually done it? (And I mean done it AFTER they got established in MMA. Silva's fights in '97 or whatever don't count.)

Svino
04-15-2011, 06:16 PM
He sounds scared of the UFC WW roster (homie).

bloydie
04-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Diaz fights at 170 bloydie he actually weighs about the same as Lacy or Vargas . The most Lacy has ever weighed is 172 I think and Vargas should easily be able to make 170 since he fought at 154.

I'm with you I doubt it ever happens though ,I dont think anyone is going to be willing to give Diaz enough money to box .

Fair point its just whenever i picture Diaz and Lacy i just see a skinny guy and another guy built like a tank. I know he was overrated and all that, but Calzaghe beat the last bit of talent out of him. I didnt bother going to that fight and still regret it today, it was just a pure beatdown.

Luke
04-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Fair point its just whenever i picture Diaz and Lacy i just see a skinny guy and another guy built like a tank. I know he was overrated and all that, but Calzaghe beat the last bit of talent out of him. I didnt bother going to that fight and still regret it today, it was just a pure beatdown.

If I remember correctly wasnt Lacy a 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 favorite?

But yeah Lacy standing besides Diaz would look funny

Luke
04-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Sergei Kharitonov in a boxing match from yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdMNFtblvek

bloydie
04-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Yeah i heard the kid he thought was like 18 or something, he did have alot more amateur experience then him though

SPX
04-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Luke, you might want to check out the most recent episode of SDS on Sherdog. They spend like an hour talking about Diaz and boxing.

Luke
04-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Luke, you might want to check out the most recent episode of SDS on Sherdog. They spend like an hour talking about Diaz and boxing.

Check out huh? Whats SDS?

SPX
04-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Savage Dog Show:

http://www.sherdog.com/radio/SDS-Strikeforce-CEO-Scott-Coker-1882

Luke
04-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Savage Dog Show:

http://www.sherdog.com/radio/SDS-Strikeforce-CEO-Scott-Coker-1882

How long is this ? And can I skip to the part I want?

edit : figured out how to skip and how long it is

SPX
04-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Nigga, I told you you need to figure out how to load that shit onto your phone.

Luke
04-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Nigga, I told you you need to figure out how to load that shit onto your phone.

I'm lazy ::handshake::

zY|
04-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I rock the SDS and the JBS on the regular.

SPX
04-20-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm lazy ::handshake::

You're missing out. Now that I have podcasts I couldn't imagine living without them. They're very useful when you're coming and going.

Besides, it should be very easy to do.

SPX
04-20-2011, 09:15 PM
I rock the SDS and the JBS on the regular.

I don't really get into the Jordan Breen Show. It bores me for some reason. SDS is good, though.

Do you ever listen to Buffer's show?

Luke
04-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Give me a cliff notes X .I listened for 15 minutes and cant take anymore

SPX
04-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Give me a cliff notes X .I listened for 15 minutes and cant take anymore

LOL. Can't take anymore? That's funny, I listen to this shit for fun.

Cliff's Notes:

Diaz should do better in boxing than James Toney did in MMA, but should still get fucked up.
Diaz has a chance of surprising the world and actually winning a boxing match.
An interesting format for future cross over matches is to do two fights: One boxing and one MMA.
Shane Mosley and, I think, Miguel Cotto have expressed interest in fighting in MMA. Apparently one of them even thinks he'd do well because he wrestled in high school and could stop the takedown.
A lot of high-profile boxers apparently watch MMA on the regular.

zY|
04-20-2011, 09:27 PM
I don't really get into the Jordan Breen Show. It bores me for some reason. SDS is good, though.

Do you ever listen to Buffer's show?

JBS is my favorite show. It's only stale when people call in with stale questions. I'll listen to Buffer if he has a good guest. He's a complete sycophant so he can get guys like Penn to talk to him. You should listen when he has Jon Jones on. It's just 20 minutes of audible fellatio. And this was even before the Bader fight.

zY|
04-20-2011, 09:29 PM
By the way, fuck you two.

Last year it was all 'oh youre one of THOSE people, I dont even have a phone, why would you want all that'. Now we're downloading podcasts on our smartphones.

I am Jack's sweet vindication.

SPX
04-20-2011, 09:46 PM
For the record, I NEVER said that I didn't think it would be cool to have a phone that could do cool shit. What I objected to was the attitude that your phone "is like crack" because you're addicted to it and on the motherfucker all the time.

That's how I feel about Facebook, too. I don't object to the concept of Facebook, but I do object to people who spend like 5 hours a day doing some shit on there.

Luke
04-20-2011, 09:49 PM
LOL. Can't take anymore? That's funny, I listen to this shit for fun.

Sorry I'm not much of a talk show guy ......I tried
Cliff's Notes:

Diaz should do better in boxing than James Toney did in MMA, but should still get fucked up.

He'd have to do better than Toney he's trained in boxing for 10 years , Toney trained (LOL) in MMA for 3-6 months

Diaz has a chance of surprising the world and actually winning a boxing match.

I wouldnt call him winning a boxing match surprising the world ,its all according to who he's fighting. The guys he's talking about he aint beating but there are 1500 boxers per division and I'm sure he could beat a lot of those guys so that wouldnt be a surprise to me

An interesting format for future cross over matches is to do two fights: One boxing and one MMA.

As Zy would say Meh. Both fights would probably be one sided blow outs

Shane Mosley and, I think, Miguel Cotto have expressed interest in fighting in MMA. Apparently one of them even thinks he'd do well because he wrestled in high school and could stop the takedown.

Will never happen imo,Cotto makes 1-5 mil per fight and Mosley makes 2-10 mil neither would go to MMA to fight for much less. I also didnt know either wrestled in high school the only guy I've ever heard of that wrestled is Cintron and he has said before he'd be interested in MMA

A lot of high-profile boxers apparently watch MMA on the regular

thats doesnt surprise me at all

Luke
04-20-2011, 09:51 PM
By the way, fuck you two.

Last year it was all 'oh youre one of THOSE people, I dont even have a phone, why would you want all that'. Now we're downloading podcasts on our smartphones.

I am Jack's sweet vindication.

I dont download podcasts

I dont have a facebook

I make calls and I text

zY|
04-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Whatever, backpedaling fags. I'm placing this one squarely in the win column. :D

SPX
04-20-2011, 09:57 PM
LOL. Go back and see what I REALLY said.

Besides, I'm pretty sure I had a phone then that would play MP3s and get on the Internet. It wasn't nearly as capable as the Android phone I have now, but it could do some shit. Luke was always the "I don't even have a phone" guy.

Luke
04-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Luke was always the "I don't even have a phone" guy.

I didnt have a phone I wasnt lying . I do have a phone now

Zy's the one that acted like you couldnt live without a phone and couldnt believe I didnt have one because everyone must have a phone

SPX
04-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Sometimes I miss the pre-technology boom days where if your ass needed to make a phone call and you weren't at home then you had to find a payphone.

"Please deposit 25 cents."

zY|
04-20-2011, 10:05 PM
I did go back and read. I said I liked my phone and you went on a generalized, projection-infused rant about kids these days not going outside or some crap.

Luke
04-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Sometimes I miss the pre-technology boom days where if your ass needed to make a phone call and you weren't at home then you had to find a payphone.

I just didnt have a phone because I didnt care if people needed to get a hold of me. I still never answer my cell.......ever. If someone wants to get a hold of me they better text and wait for my answer

zY|
04-20-2011, 10:07 PM

That shit would really suck though when your car broke down. I mean that figuratively, I realize you don't have a car.

Luke
04-20-2011, 10:07 PM
I did go back and read. I said I liked my phone and you went on a generalized, projection-infused rant about kids these days not going outside or some crap.

That was X not me so I am free from guilt

Luke
04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
UFC 129 better get here soon , we are so off topic in every thread in the MMA section its sad

SPX
04-20-2011, 10:09 PM

Well I do feel that it's unhealthy when all or most of your interactions with others is via some digital device and not face-to-face communication. So I stand by that.

SPX
04-20-2011, 10:12 PM
That shit would really suck though when your car broke down. I mean that figuratively, I realize you don't have a car.

It would. Making and receiving phone calls isn't really the issue, though. It's the amount of time people spend invested in the digital world. I think that two key things--isolation and information overload--lead to depression and other ailments of the soul.

Look, I don't want to have to go to the library any more than anyone else if I want to look up some information. So I have some reservations about weaning myself off of technology.

Dewey decimal system up in this motherfucker.

Luke
04-20-2011, 10:15 PM
It would. Making and receiving phone calls isn't really the issue, though. It's the amount of time people spend invested in the digital world. I think that two key things--isolation and information overload--lead to depression and other ailments of the soul.

I'll be honest the more time I spend away from people the happy I am. I'm not talking about friends/family etc I'm talking like normal people that get on my damn nerves on a regular basis (the public,co-workers etc)

zY|
04-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Motherfucker don't you dare take away my wikipedia.

And what the hell? You said in the other thread like 8 seconds ago that you spend more time on here than with real friends. Are you projecting again? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but cmon buddy.

SPX
04-20-2011, 10:25 PM
I'll be honest the more time I spend away from people the happy I am. I'm not talking about friends/family etc I'm talking like normal people that get on my damn nerves on a regular basis (the public,co-workers etc)

You see, I spend 90% of my life alone. On most days, my entire interaction with humans in a face-to-face context consists of dealing with cashiers and the people who scan me in at the gym and shit like that.

I find that on the rare days that I do see a friend or something of that nature, I am over it and ready for them to go on home after 3 or 4 hours, but afterward I usually feel better psychologically and emotionally.

The same is true for getting out of the house. I'm not an outdoorsy person really and I don't do shit like go to the park and throw a frisbee or any of that bullshit, but when I wake up I really need to get out of the house for several hours and see the sun, breathe fresh air, hear the sound of cars going by, exercise my legs, etc.

SPX
04-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Motherfucker don't you dare take away my wikipedia.

And what the hell? You said in the other thread like 8 seconds ago that you spend more time on here than with real friends. Are you projecting again? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but cmon buddy.

It's true that I do spend more time on here than with my real friends. The truth is that I don't find most people interesting enough to go out of my way to spend time with them. Honestly, I wish I had a larger roster of friends, but good friends are hard to find.

I've been trying to do more lately that gets me out and interacting with others, like attending shit that's going on at the college and being more social with acquaintances. It's challenging, though.

Luke
04-20-2011, 10:30 PM
You see, I spend 90% of my life alone. On most days, my entire interaction with humans in a face-to-face context consists of dealing with cashiers and the people who scan me in at the gym and shit like that.

I find that on the rare days that I do see a friend or something of that nature, I am over it and ready for them to go on home after 3 or 4 hours, but afterward I usually feel better psychologically and emotionally.

The same is true for getting out of the house. I'm not an outdoorsy person really and I don't do shit like go to the park and throw a frisbee or any of that bullshit, but when I wake up I really need to get out of the house for several hours and see the sun, breathe fresh air, hear the sound of cars going by, exercise my legs, etc.

Well I live with my lady so I really dont need any other interaction on a daily basis . If I want someone to talk to she's there .She might not be listening but she's there

You need to find a lady or get a dog .

Luke
04-20-2011, 10:31 PM
It's true that I do spend more time on here than with my real friends. The truth is that I don't find most people interesting enough to go out of my way to spend time with them. Honestly, I wish I had a larger roster of friends, but good friends are hard to find.

I've been trying to do more lately that gets me out and interacting with others, like attending shit that's going on at the college and being more social with acquaintances. It's challenging, though.

You can swing by my house .We'll talk MMA and practice WWE moves on each other

SPX
04-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Well I live with my lady so I really dont need any other interaction on a daily basis . If I want someone to talk to she's there .She might not be listening but she's there

You need to find a lady or get a dog .

A dog would be cool.

I try ladies from time to time. Locking down is terrifying to me, though. I really need in-person social interaction with others, but usually only in relatively small, intense bursts. Then I like to get back to doing my own thing and living my life in the manner that I'm accustomed.

The thought of having the same bitch up in my shit every day and night, and me having to consider her when I make decisions, really fucks me up.

SPX
04-20-2011, 10:35 PM
You can swing by my house .We'll talk MMA and practice WWE moves on each other

Okay.

zY|
04-20-2011, 10:36 PM

Yeah. I can relate pretty well to this, actually.

Btw I'm typing on my phone now so I really can't keep up with all these threads.

Luke
04-20-2011, 10:43 PM
The thought of having the same bitch up in my shit every day and night, and me having to consider her when I make decisions, really fucks me up.

It not that bad .I was the same way a few years ago I would have never thought I'd live with someone .She begged me to let her move in with me and I was like "hell no" Then when I sold my other house we realized it would be so much cheaper just to live together . Sure its annoying as hell sometimes having her here all the time but I just go hide in another room in those times .

Overall I can tell you by experience its much better than being alone .

Luke
04-20-2011, 10:45 PM
things were different when i lived alone though if I wanted to talk boxing or MMA I had no one at all to talk to it about , now you can just get on the forum and chat away

SPX
04-20-2011, 10:57 PM
It not that bad .I was the same way a few years ago I would have never thought I'd live with someone .She begged me to let her move in with me and I was like "hell no" Then when I sold my other house we realized it would be so much cheaper just to live together . Sure its annoying as hell sometimes having her here all the time but I just go hide in another room in those times .

Overall I can tell you by experience its much better than being alone .

There have been a couple of girls who I got fairly serious about, and I can remember a few times when I'd wake up and they were in the bed next to me, and I had the specific thought that if the bitch wasn't going home in a couple of hours and I had to do that every day, then it would be like hell on earth.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just not in the right place in my life right now, or maybe I just haven't met the right girl, or maybe it's a little of both. But I'll say this shit: If I had to deal with some of the stuff that you say you've had to deal with, she would've been gone a long time ago.

Luke
04-20-2011, 11:55 PM

I don't know. Maybe I'm just not in the right place in my life right now, or maybe I just haven't met the right girl, or maybe it's a little of both. But I'll say this shit: If I had to deal with some of the stuff that you say you've had to deal with, she would've been gone a long time ago.

We dont fight too often so if your thinking the stuff I tell you is bad you might as well live alone the rest of your life because most relationships are way way worse,I know from talking with other people. No realtionship is going to be perfect and everything isnt always going to go your way

I think from the way you talk you have hard time commiting to one thing. The grass isnt always greener on the other side of the fence and if you keep passing on everything thinking it is you will end up alone.
Trust me I was the sameway as you just a few years ago .I was always thinking "this girls better looking, this girls is nicer, this girls I have more in common with etc" but everytime you think that you find out there's something wrong with that person too

Luke
04-20-2011, 11:57 PM
And what specifically are you refering to that I deal with that you dont like?

zY|
04-20-2011, 11:57 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VSrnkiWaqSQ/TMdBQsCZScI/AAAAAAAAAZI/r7M0LAXkxW0/s1600/forever+alone+face.png

Luke
04-21-2011, 12:02 AM
^^^^^^^you have been in my boxing threads I see

zY|
04-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Lol no. Have you been posting that in there?

It's posted all over on the greater internet, particularly f7u12.

Luke
04-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Lol no. Have you been posting that in there?

It's posted all over on the greater internet, particularly f7u12.

Every once in a while when I post something and no one answers

zY|
04-21-2011, 02:04 AM
Hey X, have you listened to any of the 'press row' podcasts on sherdog?

They're short 30 minute clips every Wednesday where Breen talks to a different mma media person every week. They're hidden inside the blog section. Anyway, thought it might be up your alley if you hadn't heard them.

SPX
04-21-2011, 12:15 PM
And what specifically are you refering to that I deal with that you dont like?

I could handle picking out tile and being dragged off to do other assorted stupid shit from time to time, but the thing that would really fuck with me is a bitch who can't support me and would rather me just bring in money so she can live comfortably rather than actually be happy. When you told me that she wasn't supportive of your change of major/career path, I was thinking that that shit seemed pretty selfish, and I just wouldn't waste my time on shit like that.

For me--for it to actually be worth it--my woman would have to be always sweet, always supportive. If I say I want to do something, then she needs to be the type who is like "we can make it work" and "I just want you to be happy."

SPX
04-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Hey X, have you listened to any of the 'press row' podcasts on sherdog?

They're short 30 minute clips every Wednesday where Breen talks to a different mma media person every week. They're hidden inside the blog section. Anyway, thought it might be up your alley if you hadn't heard them.

I have not heard those.

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely check that shit out.

Mr. IWS
04-21-2011, 01:32 PM
For me--for it to actually be worth it--my woman would have to be always sweet, always supportive. If I say I want to do something, then she needs to be the type who is like "we can make it work" and "I just want you to be happy."

I am very lucky. I have a woman like that, even though I was not nearly as supportive over the years.

SPX
04-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I admit that I do not live up to the ideals that I look for in others. There are a lot of reasons for that, but I do try and I'm trying to get better about shit.

I really need a very supportive mate though who knows how to work around a lot of my issues. I probably need half-mother, half-lover.

Luke
04-21-2011, 05:52 PM
I really need a very supportive mate though who knows how to work around a lot of my issues. I probably need half-mother, half-lover.

you want to do your mother?

PAGING SIDELOADED ............you are needed in this thread

Luke
04-21-2011, 05:53 PM

good luck with that .....women are the needy ones in a realtionship

SPX
04-21-2011, 06:24 PM
good luck with that .....women are the needy ones in a realtionship

There are such women out there. I've known a few. And Zak has one apparently.

bloydie
05-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Its on like donkey kong

May 6, 2011 - The hottest fighter in the mixed martial arts landscape right now is Stocktons own, Nick Diaz. He is currently riding an 11-fight win streak and has been mentioned as a potential super-fight candidate to face-off against UFC welterweight champion George St. Pierre at the end of 2011.

Due to the structuring of Diaz's contract with MMA outfit, Strikeforce, he is in a unique position where he can contractually pursue a professional boxing career in addition to his mixed-martial arts title reign.

While rumors of opponents such as former champions Fernando Vargas and Roy Jones Jr. have been floated around, neither mans team have yet solidified a contract with the young champion.

A few moments ago, former IBF super-middleweight champion & devastating knockout artist, Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy, officially signed on the dotted line to square off against Diaz in the Fall of 2011.

Lacy possesses the type of dangerous punching power in both hands that can end the double digit win streak of the rugged Northern California champion.

Don Chargin states, "This is a very dangerous fight for both men. Not only is this fight dangerous but stylistically it is very intriguing. I expected more resistance from fight fans and media in regards to this match-up but its amazing as to the hundreds of calls and e-mails I've received from fans on both sides wanting to see this match-up take place. I've received more than a few inquiries from some other very high-profile boxers that want to step up and fight Nick. Its been a real whirlwind."

Chargin continues, "I've been around boxing for quite some time and I've seen a lot of great, tough fighters in my six decades within the sport. I believe that if Nick had been one of those kids who had picked up boxing from a youth, he'd undoubtedly be a world-champion today. Sometime within the next 2 weeks I'll be personally making the trek to Cesar Gracies gym to setup a private, closed door sparring session between Nick and a few nameless top-level contenders I have in mind."

Can Jeff Lacy refocus his career to regain the once promising glory that lingered at his fingertips just a few short years back?

Can Nick Diaz's granite chin withstand the devastating punching power of arguably the hardest punching 168-pound fighter on the planet?

These questions will definitely be answered before the end of 2011 as the fight titled, "Breaking History" is fairly self-explanatory.

edman5555
05-06-2011, 02:42 PM
I have no idea what happens with this. I favor the pro boxer though.

edman5555
05-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Is this going to be ppv or what? How many people are going to pay to see this if it is?

MMA_scientist
05-06-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't know anything about boxing... but isn't Diaz going to get his ass beat?

edman5555
05-06-2011, 02:49 PM
I would think so. Lacy seems to be legit.

Wiki:Lacy had 210 fights as an amateur, winning the 1999 National PAL amateur champion at 165 pounds, the 1998 U.S. National amateur champion at 165 pounds, and the 1998 National PAL amateur champion at 165 pounds. Lacy fought at the 1996 Eastern Olympic Trials, stopping Kenneth Head in the first round. In the quarter-finals, Lacy defeated Rubin Williams. In the semi-finals, Lacy lost to Darnell Wilson and finished third.

He made the 2000 olympic boxing team.

3rd place 1997 national golden gloves.

That was a long time ago but it is still a hell of a lot better than Nick Diaz has ever done. He barely beat KJ noons in the standup.

poopoo333
05-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Diaz by sub

SPX
05-06-2011, 02:56 PM
How would you react if Diaz got rocked and then instinctively went for a takedown?

I'd laugh my ass off.

poopoo333
05-06-2011, 02:56 PM
CG @CesarGracieBJJ (http://twitter.com/CesarGracieBJJ) tells @mauroranallo (http://twitter.com/mauroranallo) that @nickdiaz209 (http://twitter.com/nickdiaz209)'s bout with @lefthooklacy (http://twitter.com/lefthooklacy) has been green-litless than a minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/thefightshow/status/66567748611878912) via web

Mr. IWS
05-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Dam, I guess that trip to the 209 for Dana didnt pan out. Ill be on Lacy.

Mr. IWS
05-06-2011, 03:39 PM
This will be sweet redeption for all the boxing backers, after the Randy Couture/James Toney fiasco.

MMA_scientist
05-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Boxing fans are already trying to talk down Lacy's skills in case he loses... Lacey my not be a world champion, but cmon.

"Jeff Lacy is 33 years old and hasn't clearly won a fight since 2005. Since then he's been destroyed by Joe Calzaghe, dominated by a fading Jermain Taylor and a shot Roy Jones Jr., and has gotten past the likes of Peter Manfredo Jr., Vitali Tsypko, Otis Griffin and Epifanio Mendoza by the skin of his teeth. Those are third-rate contenders, and all of them had a solid argument for having deserved the duke over Lacy. He has not looked good in almost six years. Injuries have robbed him of his punching power and athleticism.

If you want to buy into this and believe that Jeff Lacy is still a serious contender, that's nice. I'm glad that you enjoyed using him on video games or whatever. But facts are facts, and to ignore what has been staring people in the face for half a decade-plus is foolish.

I'm not saying there's no reason to be interested in this. Considering that Nick Diaz is a novice boxer at best, this is a perfectly fair matchup for him to delve into professional boxing, if it does indeed actually happen. And I realize that fans of both or either sports are going to inevitably, in some circles, treat this like it truly matters. But this is Nick Diaz trying boxing against a guy whose name value is basically zero at this point, and whose skills in the ring are just plain gone. Nothing more, nothing less."

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9t3gfu39x1qcgr7io1_500.png

SPX
05-06-2011, 04:01 PM
This will be sweet redeption for all the boxing backers, after the Randy Couture/James Toney fiasco.

And if Diaz wins?

Mr. IWS
05-06-2011, 04:10 PM
And if Diaz wins?

Obviously, Lacy was washed up.

Same argument the MMA guys used for Sylvia/Mercer

The internet is awesome.

zY|
05-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Boxing fans are already trying to talk down Lacy's skills in case he loses... Lacey my not be a world champion, but cmon.

"Jeff Lacy is 33 years old and hasn't clearly won a fight since 2005. Since then he's been destroyed by Joe Calzaghe, dominated by a fading Jermain Taylor and a shot Roy Jones Jr., and has gotten past the likes of Peter Manfredo Jr., Vitali Tsypko, Otis Griffin and Epifanio Mendoza by the skin of his teeth. Those are third-rate contenders, and all of them had a solid argument for having deserved the duke over Lacy. He has not looked good in almost six years. Injuries have robbed him of his punching power and athleticism.

If you want to buy into this and believe that Jeff Lacy is still a serious contender, that's nice. I'm glad that you enjoyed using him on video games or whatever. But facts are facts, and to ignore what has been staring people in the face for half a decade-plus is foolish.

I'm not saying there's no reason to be interested in this. Considering that Nick Diaz is a novice boxer at best, this is a perfectly fair matchup for him to delve into professional boxing, if it does indeed actually happen. And I realize that fans of both or either sports are going to inevitably, in some circles, treat this like it truly matters. But this is Nick Diaz trying boxing against a guy whose name value is basically zero at this point, and whose skills in the ring are just plain gone. Nothing more, nothing less."

I agree with this, actually.

It's a tough, yet potentially winnable fight for a guy like Nick Diaz. Whether he wins or loses doesn't say shit about the idiotic 'boxing vs mma' debate. It only informs about Nick Diaz and Jeff Lacy.

This is irrelevant anyway. No way this fight happens. Regardless of the logistics dealing with contract issues and whatnot, Nick wants to box because he thinks he'll make more money. Only the top top boxers make any money. Nick Diaz was guaranteed 175k to fight Paul Daley. Does he really think anyone is going to pay him more than that to fight Jeff Lacy? GTFO.

edman5555
05-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the pay. How many people are going to pay to watch a Lacy Diaz PPV.

Luke
05-06-2011, 10:26 PM
LOL Nick Diaz agrees to fight Lacy and suddenly Edmann555 and mmascientist think they know boxing

Luke
05-06-2011, 10:35 PM

Not one single word of that is untrue.Lacy had never beat a top 10 fighter in his life. He just got dominated a few months ago by someone that has a 24-20 record .

This isnt Toney vs Couture .That would be like BJJ vs boxer match up where the BJJ fighter gets 3 months to train in boxing , Diaz has trained in boxing for 10 years

I need to go look at Lacys last couple fights because I havent seen him fight since in 3 years and he blew then

SPX
05-06-2011, 10:55 PM
LOL Nick Diaz agrees to fight Lacy and suddenly Edmann555 and mmascientist think they know boxing

LOL

Here's what I know about boxing: Tyson is the shit.

edman5555
05-07-2011, 09:47 AM
I am an expert boxing analyst.

zY|
05-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Read some shot on the UG that this might actually happen? Apparently Nick will make the 175k in his last fight, maybe slightly more, and Lacy is willing to accept less than a 50/50 split to get the deal done, and it will be on independent ppv.

If this is true then it really makes no sense to me, as I thought his motivation was money.

SPX
05-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Maybe he sees this as a gateway fight. That is, if he wins this one, then he'll get another one and he can then demand a bigger purse.

Ludo
05-07-2011, 03:16 PM
It is about money. Not from boxing though, from MMA. He thinks if Zuffa thinks he's willing to jump to Boxing they'll pay him more to keep him in MMA.

zY|
05-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah, it seems like a publicity stunt/business posturing. Doing an indy PPV sounds like an awful idea and everyone would lose their ass.

Luke
05-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Yeah, it seems like a publicity stunt/business posturing. Doing an indy PPV sounds like an awful idea and everyone would lose their ass.

For sure . They wouldnt get 50k people to buy that