PDA

View Full Version : New Years Resolution Thread - Post 'em!

SPX
12-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Scientist has started us off:

New Year's Resolutions/Goals for 2012:

1. Get down to 170# (just 45 pounds)
2. Compete 10 times, do ADCC trials
3. Save 20% of my income
4. Bet with more precision, only bet fights I feel strongly about, don't get lazy and/or impatient.
5. Complete 1/2 triathlon (no way I can do a full one, maybe in 2013).
6. Play with kids more.
7. Go on at least 4 vacations.

I become a better man in 2012.

poopoo333
12-28-2011, 03:20 PM

3. Save 20% of my income
4. Bet with more precision, only bet fights I feel strongly about, don't get lazy and/or impatient.
6. Play with kids more.

SPX
12-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Good luck on all that, Scientist.

Why 170? And how much did you weigh when you were Fat Scientist?

What kind of triathlon do you want to do? I was actually looking into triathlons not too long ago.

BIGDAY
12-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Vacation more is a great Relolution for sure. I'm going to make it my #1.

SPX
12-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Mine (don't think all this is attainable for financial reasons, but it's what I would like to do):

1. Get down to 10% bodyfat or less while staying above 150 lbs.
2. Get a car.
3. Get a bigger apartment.
4. Put $3000 into savings.
5. Finish at the community college/get my associates degree.
6. Get published in at least one new magazine (not owned by Beckett).
7. Get back into a martial arts class and compete at least three times.

Mr. IWS
12-28-2011, 03:55 PM
About the only one I have is to go to the doctors more and make sure I dont have nothing wrong with me. Thats more about my wife wanting me to do it then me, but thats about it.

MMA_scientist
12-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Good luck on all that, Scientist.

Why 170? And how much did you weigh when you were Fat Scientist?

What kind of triathlon do you want to do? I was actually looking into triathlons not too long ago.

170 because that is what I weighed in high school and (briefly) in college. It would probably put me at about 10-12% body fat. That is my best competition weight and I look good that size.

I was 260# at my heaviest.

I want to do a half Ironman. 13.1 mile run, 56 mile bike, 1.2 mile swim. I have done a half marathon before, and I could do the bike ride if I had a flat course. I am a very good swimmer, but I have no stamina at it. I could drown trying to go that far, I seriously need to train the swimming. I am going to try to do a couple of sprint triathlons and then hit the big one in the fall.

MMA_scientist
12-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Mine (don't think all this is attainable for financial reasons, but it's what I would like to do):

2. Get a car.

I like that list. Got all the areas of your life covered. It is all attainable, but also just enough out of reach to make it goal-worthy. I didn't realize you were still in classes, I thought you either finished or quit. Are you still in school actively or taking a break?

Ludo
12-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah you need to take the swimming part seriously. Just to put it in perspective one mile is the length of 32 olympic regulation size pools(50 meters across). I'm sure they have medical aid on standby and shit but you could end up swallowing water and sinking before anyone knows what happened to you.

MMA_scientist
12-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I used to swin a lot, and I was a swimming instructor when I was younger. Since I used to wakeboard all the time (literally every single day for years) I have swam in open water a ton. But I never have trained it for distance and I haven't swam laps in probably 10 years. The last time I was in a pool I had to do 2 lengths for scuba certification and I almost died. Swimming is hard.

SPX
12-28-2011, 05:07 PM
I want to do a half Ironman. 13.1 mile run, 56 mile bike, 1.2 mile swim. I have done a half marathon before, and I could do the bike ride if I had a flat course. I am a very good swimmer, but I have no stamina at it. I could drown trying to go that far, I seriously need to train the swimming. I am going to try to do a couple of sprint triathlons and then hit the big one in the fall.

Well good luck with that.

I have thought a lot about doing a sprint triathlon. For you, that's apparently just a warm up, but for me it would be a major accomplishment. I hate running and my stamina completely sucks.

SPX
12-28-2011, 05:18 PM
I like that list. Got all the areas of your life covered. It is all attainable, but also just enough out of reach to make it goal-worthy.

Indeed. Thanks.

I'm going to check out a karate class right after the new year . . . got my finger's crossed it's not gay. If it's cool, then I'm hoping that goes a long way to helping me achieve goal #1. Two birds with one stone.

All the financial shit will be difficult. I'll need to try to make more money while also saving more.

I didn't realize you were still in classes, I thought you either finished or quit. Are you still in school actively or taking a break?

I've been going every semester since I started like 2 1/2 years ago. This past semester I only took 2 classes, and the semester before that only 3, though.

They're giving me some shit about a required math class I have to take (the LAST math class I have to take). Apparently I was supposed to take it within a year of taking MATH 1010. Well, no one told me that shit. So now I don't have the proper pre-requisites to take MATH 1030, because I took 1010 a year and a half ago. WTF? I better be able to get this shit worked out, because I don't want to have to take 1010 again.

As long as I can get the math shit worked out then I can take like 5 classes this coming semester and graduate. Then it's off to the U.

MMA_scientist
12-28-2011, 08:19 PM
For you, that's apparently just a warm up, but for me it would be a major accomplishment. I hate running and my stamina completely sucks.

I wouldn't say all that. It will be hard for me, but I could complete one slowly without mch training. A half ironman is going to be very difficult for me. I almost died doing that half marathon, but I barely trained for it.

SPX
12-28-2011, 08:24 PM
I would die on mile 3.

MMA_scientist
12-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Running is easy for me, I can run 3 miles no problem even if I haven't run in a year and I weighed 260#, I could do a 5K. Slowly, but I can do it. I am not a fast runner, but I can keep going. I could run a 5.0 40 yard dash at my fastest ever when I weighed 160 pounds. That's probably fast for the general population, but pretty damn slow for a 160 pound football player in HS.

Where are you going to go for your Bachelor's?

Ludo
12-29-2011, 01:49 AM
5.0 40 is pretty fast for a white kid in highschool. If you were black you'd have been in jail by then, though.

MMA_scientist
12-29-2011, 10:24 AM
5.0 40 is pretty fast for a white kid in highschool. If you were black you'd have been in jail by then, though.

I was probably the slowest non-lineman on the team, and also probably the lightest. I don't know, we had a lot of guys that went on to play D1 and D1-AA- like 70% of the team and we were state champions. So maybe my view on what is fast and strong for a HS kid is skewed.

I don't think I could run a 6.0 now. I am slow as hell. I ran a 5:30 mile back then too... I bet I couldn't do it in 7:00 these days.

Damn I feel old right now- and sad.

Thewisemann
12-29-2011, 10:37 AM
get in shape in 7 weeks pretty sure im fighting feb 18th

MMA_scientist
12-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Sweet. Better post a vid.

Thewisemann
12-29-2011, 10:45 AM
for sure

MMA_scientist
12-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Right, even if you get your ass kicked badly, I expect vid.

poopoo333
12-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Ok I guess I will contribute

-Total 1700 lbs in a powerlifting meet
-Save $10k cash
-Straight As
-Research everything I bet/Not try to pick up a huge amount each event

MMA_scientist
12-29-2011, 04:35 PM
What is your total now?

poopoo333
12-29-2011, 04:37 PM
1630 is my best in June, I was 240 lbs...I did 1605 @ 215 the other week

Mr. IWS
12-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Ok I guess I will contribute

-Save $10k cash
-Straight As

I think you will get way over 1700

MMA_scientist
12-29-2011, 04:40 PM
6% strength gain over 12 months. You can do that, just take steroids like I am going to do.

Mr. IWS
12-29-2011, 04:41 PM
6% strength gain over 12 months. You can do that, just take steroids like I am going to do.

lol

isitlowt.com?

poopoo333
12-29-2011, 04:42 PM
I think you will get way over 1700

I hope...in 2012 my last meet will probably be early November. It all depends on if I want to travel to Texas or not in Janary 2013 for a bigger meet.

At the end of the year, are we gonna bump this shit to see who went through?

Mr. IWS
12-29-2011, 04:44 PM
bump it fo sho

my girl is making me right one thing down on paper saturday night, and she will do the same. and we are going to see who follows through. Ill probably put on there I wanna lose 100lbs so that will be my resolution for this thread.

SPX
12-29-2011, 04:44 PM
At the end of the year, are we gonna bump this shit to see who went through?

I think we should update it every time we cross something off the list.

MMA_scientist
12-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Damn when you guys bump this, I am going to be humiliated.

Mr. IWS
12-29-2011, 04:49 PM
knowing me, Ill drop 50lbs the first 6 months, and gain 70 the final 6 months.

MMA_scientist
12-29-2011, 04:50 PM
I won't do a single thing on my list. I will probably lose like 20 pounds, and do nothing else.

SPX
12-29-2011, 04:54 PM
I'll feel okay if I do at least half.

edman5555
12-29-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm going to aspire to be a better person.

Luke
12-29-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm going to aspire to be a better person.

So no more telling people to go kill themselves?

zY|
12-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Here's mine.

3. Save 20% of my income
6. Play with kids more.

poopoo333
12-29-2011, 07:14 PM
I already did that.

zY|
12-29-2011, 07:22 PM
We all have the same goals.

poopoo333
12-29-2011, 07:23 PM
We all have the same goals.

Yep. I should be ready for ADCC trials anyday, especially @ 170 lbs

SPX
01-12-2012, 11:28 PM

2. Get a car.

Consider it done. Now a signed up and paid up member of this place. . .

http://wado-institute.com/

Rolled through my first class tonight.

Vandelay
01-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Nice, Did they have anyone your size?

SPX
01-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Nope. I am the smallest one.

Since it was my first class, I got something of a private lesson in the basics of wado. The black belt who worked with me would show me kicks and then have me practice them by kicking the shit out of his stomach. I was probably hitting him with 3/4 power and eventually I stopped and was like, "Are you really cool with me kicking you like this?" And he was like, "Yeah, this is why we do situps. Keep going." Then to demonstrate the reverse punch he walked over to this wooden plank and started punching the shit out of it.

It might be the first REAL karate class that I've ever been to. Almost everyone in the adult class has been with the school for several years (it was opened in 1970 by this high-ranking Japanese guy) and is either a brown or black belt. Apparently back in the day they had a reputation for being pretty intense. It's chilled out somewhat since then, but you can tell these guys are serious about it.

Ludo
01-13-2012, 01:24 AM
Did any of them look like this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdflqkfxSU

SPX
01-13-2012, 01:36 AM
Here's the full vid, and apparently it may have actually been a real murder. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHO7PSMRCNs

Not sure what to think. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4GEB7lhKBA

Ludo
01-13-2012, 01:59 AM
Whatever happened to that "one strike one kill" stuff I've heard about many martial arts claiming as a philosophy?

SPX
01-13-2012, 02:01 AM
You must have been reading on MT. . .

Ludo
01-13-2012, 02:08 AM
I remember it vaguely being brought up in that last thread with Tez. But it is a valid question. Even the most direct martial arts like Krav Maga and Muay Thai, the ones designed to be purely damaging/lethal have very few "do this and you win the fight" maneuvers. I think that the whole one strike = incapacitated opponent is a marketing gimmick more than an actual concept.

On a side note, did you find it at least a little amusing that the homeless guy landed a few good shots, and even dropped that supposed black belt?

SPX
01-13-2012, 02:40 AM
I remember it vaguely being brought up in that last thread with Tez. But it is a valid question. Even the most direct martial arts like Krav Maga and Muay Thai, the ones designed to be purely damaging/lethal have very few "do this and you win the fight" maneuvers. I think that the whole one strike = incapacitated opponent is a marketing gimmick more than an actual concept.

Well the general consensus on that is that it came from a samurai sword fighting mentality, where one one strike does equal one kill. But apparently--as I have been informed--that is mostly a feature of Shotokan karate, rather than a feature of all karate (and I can say from experience that it's not a concept found in taekwondo). Basically, no one really expects a fight to end with one strike, although against untrained opponents it's certainly a good possibility.

On a side note, did you find it at least a little amusing that the homeless guy landed a few good shots, and even dropped that supposed black belt?

To be honest, I thought the homeless guy had some good technique and seemed quite flexible, which made me think that maybe the video is a hoax. If it's not a hoax, then that guy got really fucked up, and quite possibly murdered, which is disturbing.

But really though, anyone can land a few shots if they're aggressive enough. Also, it's important to note that in karate (as well as most martial arts) black belt does not mean "master" . . . it means that "the basics have been learned and the foundation for deeper knowledge has been laid."

SPX
01-13-2012, 02:43 AM
BTW, what's your take? Hoax or no?

Before you answer, here's another vid I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtA4QpJo1jk

Ludo
01-13-2012, 03:14 AM
I don't think it was a hoax. I am wondering exactly how they found the guy and managed to bring him in, but the movements didn't look staged at all. The homeless dude looked 100% like he was fearing for his life after the initial stuff. He was in total reaction mode where he threw back as soon as he felt something connect.

I do think both the head honcho there and the guy who actually fought from the dojo are complete psychopaths, though. Stomping on a dude's neck/head after putting him down like that is fucked up, as is dropping him in a dumpster after.

I realize that black belt doesn't always translate to "master" but it does take time to achieve and should translate to superior form and technique. I would think in a sparring situation a black belt gets the better of a blue belt a good portion of the time if not every time(I'm talking about second/third level when I say blue belt, I know some arts vary in that aspect.)

SPX
01-13-2012, 03:53 AM
I don't think it was a hoax. I am wondering exactly how they found the guy and managed to bring him in, but the movements didn't look staged at all.

If there was acted involved, I agree that it was pretty good. I was looking closely to see if the knees and stomps to the head seemed to be not connecting with full force. One thing I can say is that the sound of the impacts and the impacts themselves didn't seem in synch, but that could very well be because the sound and video are just not in synch.

In any case, the shit looks like a snuff film.

I do think both the head honcho there and the guy who actually fought from the dojo are complete psychopaths, though. Stomping on a dude's neck/head after putting him down like that is fucked up, as is dropping him in a dumpster after.

If it's real, then those guys are 100% fucked up. Why would he keep beating that guy's ass after he made it clear he didn't want to fight anymore? Yeah, psychopaths for sure.

I realize that black belt doesn't always translate to "master" but it does take time to achieve and should translate to superior form and technique. I would think in a sparring situation a black belt gets the better of a blue belt a good portion of the time if not every time(I'm talking about second/third level when I say blue belt, I know some arts vary in that aspect.)

Well I would say two things:

1. Where did he get his black belt from? That fat white dude?

2. I think that some martial arts are deceptively effective. In my opinion, Kyokushin looks like shit a lot of the time. It's just not pretty to watch. It's often just two guys standing squarely in front of each other and punching and kicking away with little obvious technique. But those guys are tough as nails and will beat the shit out of you.

Mr. IWS
01-13-2012, 08:31 AM

Consider it done. Now a signed up and paid up member of this place. . .

http://wado-institute.com/

Rolled through my first class tonight.

::thumbup::

MMA_scientist
01-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Didn't looked staged to me at all. Those guys are absolute douches. I died lauging when the black belt finally landed his big shot and then he goes "ughh, motherfucker"...

It makes the Gracie dojo raids seem a lot more palatable when I imaging these are the kinds of guys they were just walking in and beating up and dropping a card on the way out to the students.

SPX
01-13-2012, 12:48 PM
I died lauging when the black belt finally landed his big shot and then he goes "ughh, motherfucker"...

I did not die laughing, but I did chuckle a bit.

As I did when dude said he was promoted to 10th dan red belt by Jesus Christ.

It makes the Gracie dojo raids seem a lot more palatable when I imaging these are the kinds of guys they were just walking in and beating up and dropping a card on the way out to the students.

Yeah, in this special case, a Gracie raid would be delightful.

What I'm trying to figure out is how this dojo even came to be. I mean, who would sign up to follow this guy? I'd like to see some footage from some of his regular classes. Shit's gotta be interesting.

SPX
01-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Massive 182 page thread about the aforementioned video. . .

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88535&page=1

SPX
01-13-2012, 04:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOtiQ_JF4_o

MMA_scientist
11-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Since X was wanting someone to hold him accountable for his physique, thought it would be a good time to check in on 2012 goals. I still have a month

Scientist has started us off:

Fail

fail, i blame injury and re-jiggering of ADCC trials.

3. Save 20% of my income
WIN! I saved almost 40%

4. Bet with more precision, only bet I feel strongly about, don't get lazy and/or impatient.
massive fail

fail. total not even close fail. I did start riding a lot though.

6. Play with kids more.
win. no TV basically sealed that up immediately.

fail, only did 1, and then only because I had an interview that paid for the travel.

so far, I am 2/7. I don't think I am going to succeed here...

SPX
11-21-2012, 08:25 PM
I also am big time fail on this shit. I think we should just take a mulligan and start over.

poopoo333
11-21-2012, 08:25 PM
-Save $10k cash
-Straight As

1. Got it back in May:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o33WgwPf0Kw

2. Not even fucking close. I got a girlfriend and spent a lot of extra money but I did a lot of cool shit this year so that's a positive. I am going to making this a goal for 2013...but bump it to $15k since I will be working way more with two jobs.

3. In 2013 I got 2 or 3 Bs so fail.

4. Kind of fail.

MMA_scientist
11-21-2012, 08:27 PM
I would definitely count your betting as a win, at least mma betting. You have definitely done way more research.

poopoo333
11-21-2012, 08:31 PM
I would definitely count your betting as a win, at least mma betting. You have definitely done way more research.

I actually kind of stopped all the researching pretty quick. I feel like I am getting way better at recognizing style match ups and who will be at the disadvantage...I also feel like I have been doing well hammering lines I think are way off (such as Boetsch/Lombard goes to decision @+320, Daniel Cormier at + odds against Josh Barnett, JDS/Cain parlay at 146 that came out to like -225 or some crazy shit, and the main one: Jon Fitch over Erick Silva). Those were all pretty big hits for me this year.

edit: also Rockhold/Kennedy goes distance at +180..had like 7.5 units on that.

I am hoping that strategy keeps working in 2013 since I am bumping my unit size up (probably only $50 though, I was originally going to do $100)

poopoo333
11-21-2012, 08:36 PM
When is IWS going to make 2013 New Years Resolutions?

MMA_scientist
11-21-2012, 08:38 PM
probably in 2013, but since your are allowed to make threads, you probably wouldn't get banned if you made one in december

Luke
11-21-2012, 08:53 PM
I didnt have any resolutions. Therefore, I did not fail.::thumbup::

SPX
11-21-2012, 08:54 PM
When is IWS going to make 2013 New Years Resolutions?

Whenever you want to.

I think I might actually make One Year Resolutions . . . starting now.

Mr. IWS
11-22-2012, 02:03 PM
About the only one I have is to go to the doctors more and make sure I dont have nothing wrong with me. Thats more about my wife wanting me to do it then me, but thats about it.

I sort of did followed through. I went a few times, got my blood work and shit done, all that came back good. I have been putting off this sleep study for a couple months though.

SPX
11-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Well sounds like you were as successful as the rest of us and perhaps more so.

What's up with the sleep study?

Mr. IWS
11-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Well sounds like you were as successful as the rest of us and perhaps more so.

What's up with the sleep study?

I never get a good night sleep, always tossing and turning. I dont snore or anything like that, but that shit is starting to catch up to me, Im always tired anymore.

MMA_scientist
11-22-2012, 02:54 PM
I never get a good night sleep, always tossing and turning. I dont snore or anything like that, but that shit is starting to catch up to me, Im always tired anymore.

Low T

Mr. IWS
11-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Low T

lol, they actually tested me for that, said my shit was within normal levels for my age. I wanted it.

SPX
11-22-2012, 03:03 PM
You need to find an "age management" doctor who will approve you for that shit.

And that sucks about sleep, man. Getting enough sleep is just one of those things that I HAVE to do. I can't handle being tired or feeling like shit.

rodulph
11-23-2012, 02:08 AM