PDA

View Full Version : Sherdog-style Thread: Could BJ Penn win in the early days of UFC?

SPX
01-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Serious question here. I'm curious about the responses. Could BJ overcome the weight disadvantage and deal with the no rounds/unlimited minutes format?

zY|
01-10-2012, 12:35 AM
I'd pick Junie Browning over those clowns in the early UFCs.

SPX
01-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Keith Hackney would beat the shit out of Junie Browning.

SPX
01-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Paul Varelans would also stomp his skull into dust.

Ludo
01-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Well considering he went fifteen minutes with Lyoto Machida I see no reason why Penn wouldn't have been able to take on one dimensional freestyle fighters like Art Jimmerson, Gerard Gordeau, and Harold Howards of the early days. Though Kimo or Shamrock probably would have beaten him.

Also, this is literally the stupidest question ever. Size doesn't matter.

SPX
01-10-2012, 01:21 AM
Well considering he went fifteen minutes with Lyoto Machida I see no reason why Penn wouldn't have been able to take on one dimensional freestyle fighters like Art Jimmerson, Gerard Gordeau, and Harold Howards of the early days. Though Kimo or Shamrock probably would have beaten him.

I could see a lot of fighters giving him issues. Though the Machida factor is why I picked BJ. I thought about using Edgar, but I figured that he's so damn small that everyone would pick against him. Maybe I should have.

Also, this is literally the stupidest question ever. Size doesn't matter.

Yeah, it's never been a factor in any fight. I was just trolling.

Ludo
01-10-2012, 01:26 AM
I could see a lot of fighters giving him issues. Though the Machida factor is why I picked BJ. I thought about using Edgar, but I figured that he's so damn small that everyone would pick against him. Maybe I should have.

Absolutely he would have problems with a few of the just massive opponents. I'd probably pick Telia Tuli, Emanuel Yarborough, and Dan Severn to beat Penn just by sheer mass. Assuming he didn't just tire Yarborough out with footwork for 4 minutes first.

SPX
01-10-2012, 01:38 AM
I think sometimes we don't give the early UFCers enough credit.

Everyone knows that Severn, Frye, and (kind of) Shammy were good. But I also think that guys like Hackney, Kimo, Jennum and Leninger had some legitimate fighting skill. They may not be able to compete amongst the best in the world, but they were solid ass beaters.

As for sheer mass . . yeah . . . Yarbrough . . . Varelans . . .

What about Ruas?

Ludo
01-10-2012, 01:46 AM
I think sometimes we don't give the early UFCers enough credit.

Everyone knows that Severn, Frye, and (kind of) Shammy were good. But I also think that guys like Hackney, Kimo, Jennum and Leninger had some legitimate fighting skill. They may not be able to compete amongst the best in the world, but they were solid ass beaters.

As for sheer mass . . yeah . . . Yarbrough . . . Varelans . . .

What about Ruas?

Ruas probably gives BJ fits with kicks and an ability to fend off takedowns/grappling while he's doing it.

SPX
01-10-2012, 02:21 AM
No comments from Svino about Remco?

Svino
01-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Compared to Royce, I would think BJ is of similar size, has comparable submissions, and has far better boxing and takedown defense. I think he would kick butt amongst the "1st generation" UFC fighters.

He'd have significant problems with the "2nd generation" though, I think. (Kerr, Belfort, Couture, Coleman...)

SPX
01-10-2012, 02:29 AM
That doesn't really address the allegations that Royce intentionally was not matched up with the most massive competitors.

Ludo
01-10-2012, 02:34 AM
That doesn't really address the allegations that Royce intentionally was not matched up with the most massive competitors.

Kimo and Severn were among the largest actual fighters at the time. Yarborough was a freakshow and got positively hammered by a guy not much larger than Royce anyway. Valerans didn't enter until after Gracie left, Tank and Matua and Oleg and company were mostly post-Gracie.

SPX
01-10-2012, 02:36 AM
I'm just generally stating . . . that's the word on the street . . .

SPX
01-10-2012, 02:50 AM
Seems like as good of time as any to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XulEBRcykpA

Svino
01-10-2012, 02:51 AM
I did hear that the Gracies tried to sideline Taktarov. I don't think it's a coincidence that he came in after Royce left.

Again though, I think Penn would beat him and Tank, Ferrozo, Matua, and company...

SPX
01-10-2012, 02:53 AM
All right, let's change the parameters.

Urijah Faber!

Discuss.

SPX
01-10-2012, 03:42 AM
I did hear that the Gracies tried to sideline Taktarov. I don't think it's a coincidence that he came in after Royce left.

I remember a rumor about there being a rigged lottery regarding who was to face who, and I'm pretty sure that you were the one who quoted an article where it was mentioned.

MMA_scientist
01-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Penn of today would easily beat everyone, including Royce. I don't think Uriah could beat the bigger guys, bu I really don't know about his guard. You have to be able to defend yourself from your back against much bigger men IMO. Severn would beat the shit out of Uriah IMO.

zY|
01-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Why is this thread still going?

Those guys sucked dick.

Luke
01-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Why is this thread still going?

Those guys sucked dick.

Still going? I'm wondering why it was ever a thread to begin with.

SPX
01-10-2012, 09:19 PM
I don't think Uriah could beat the bigger guys, bu I really don't know about his guard. You have to be able to defend yourself from your back against much bigger men IMO. Severn would beat the shit out of Uriah IMO.

I agree that the size difference would just be too much. I just have a hard time seeing Urijah's punches actually hurt someone like Shamrock or Kimo, much less Severn, Frye or that gigantic bastard Varelans.

SPX
01-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Those guys sucked dick.

No.

Still going? I'm wondering why it was ever a thread to begin with.

And now you know how I feel about your life.

Luke
01-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Bahahahhahahahahhaahah.............

zY|
01-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Faber would break off those turds.

Mr. IWS
01-13-2012, 01:32 PM
How bout Tommy Reardon vs. Prime Fedor?

Svino
01-13-2012, 02:18 PM
How bout Tommy Reardon vs. Prime Fedor?

You mean Prime Koba?

Mr. IWS
01-13-2012, 02:38 PM
You mean Prime Koba?

LOL

My wife cried when dude tapped him out.

SPX
01-13-2012, 03:17 PM
That movie was the bomb.

Ludo
01-13-2012, 03:37 PM
It told the future in a way, since Anthony Johnson is fighting at middleweight now, and gets called Midnight.

Mr. IWS
01-13-2012, 03:40 PM
That movie was the bomb.

True dat. I didnt even wanna watch it, wifey wanted to. I thought it was gonna be the same shit like always with these MMA moveis, but I really liked it.

Mr. IWS
01-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Movie or not, I had a fuckin hard-on when Reardon knocked the first dude out with one shot, then bashed open the cage door and stormed to the back to wait for the next fight.

MMA_scientist
01-13-2012, 03:53 PM
I don't even know what you guys are talking about. It sounds pretty queer though.

SPX
01-13-2012, 03:53 PM
True dat. I didnt even wanna watch it, wifey wanted to. I thought it was gonna be the same shit like always with these MMA moveis, but I really liked it.

I told all y'all what was up, but no one wanted to listen.

Mr. IWS
01-13-2012, 04:15 PM
I told all y'all what was up, but no one wanted to listen.

Respect

::handshake::

Ludo
01-13-2012, 04:17 PM
The only thing I didn't like was that powerbomb Koba did. Aside from that the movie was tits.

SPX
01-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Fuckin' Koba.

Mr. IWS
01-13-2012, 04:22 PM
The only thing I didn't like was that powerbomb Koba did. Aside from that the movie was tits.

That was teh lulz.