PDA

View Full Version : Fabricio Werdum vs Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira to coach TUF Brazil II/fight in mid 2013

poopoo333
10-30-2012, 10:08 AM

Fabricio Werdum got his wish - he will be a coach on the next season of The Ultimate Fighter Brazil.

Opposing him will be former Pride FC and UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. They will head two teams and then meet in the Octagon for the traditional coaches’ fight in mid-2013.

News of the pairing first came via the mainstream Brazilian sport website GloboEsporte (http://m.globoesporte.globo.com/lutas/noticia/2012/10/minotauro-e-werdum-acertam-acordo-para-serem-tecnicos-do-tuf-brasil-2.html), citing “reliable sources”. An official announcement is apparently coming soon.

The pairing means that a rumoured Lyoto Machida/Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua season won’t be happening. They had been frontrunners for the slot but Werdum has been campaigning heavily for a coaching spot ever since he watched the first season, which featured Wanderlei Silva and Vitor Belfort.

Now in its 16th season in the US, TUF is seeing declining ratings. But in Brazil it is brand new and coupled with the boom that the UFC is enjoying there, appearing on TUF does a lot to boost the domestic profile of those taking part.

Werdum and Nogueira are both characters with good senses of humour so their time on the season should be good. And they also have a history together because they fought under the Pride FC banner in 2006; Werdum lost a decision.

It will be Nogueira’s second turn as a TUF coach, the first being when he paired off with Frank Mir for TUF 8. It is also Werdum’s second time in the TUF house but his first as a principal. Werdum was the BJJ coach for Wanderlei Silva’s team during TUF Brasil 1.

poopoo333
10-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Long layoff for Werdum, that sucks for him. I know Werdum lost back in 2006, but in present day, I really like Werdum to win here.

SPX
10-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Yeah, provided these guys actually do fight at some point, I have to think Werdum will win and he might not even have a great deal of trouble doing it.

poopoo333
10-30-2012, 10:19 AM
The line might even be close!

Mr. IWS
10-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Wait.........There is a TUF Brazil?

Mr. IWS
Real talk, Im looking forward to seeing this fight. I lean Werdum right now.

Ludo
From what I remember the first fight was pretty close. Werdum's striking has improved quite a bit since then and Minotauro wanted none of the ground game with Fabricio the first time. I got Werdum up to -170 here.

SPX
10-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Minotauro is also just a lot older now.

MMA_scientist
10-30-2012, 11:30 AM
I don't want to see this fight really... I would like to see Werdum fight someone he hasn't fought and is relevant. I would love Mir/Werdum or Carwin/Werdum.

SPX
10-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Mir/Werdum would be interesting. And I think he would beat Carwin.

Thewisemann
10-30-2012, 09:06 PM
I really like Werdum here

poopoo333
10-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Also, as just reported on @UFCTonight (https://twitter.com/UFCTonight), according to a source, Werdum-Big Nog is slated right now for June 8 in Brazil.

edman5555
11-01-2012, 03:16 PM
I really like Werdum here

Yeah I also feel pretty damn confident in Werdum. His striking has been looking really amazing lately. He should win everywhere else IMO. Tough fight for Nog. Though I will say Nog has had some heavy hands recently as well.