PDA

View Full Version : Attended Bellator 88! My thoughts

Dr_Ngo
02-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Went to Bellator 88 last night since I found out it was being held literally 5 minutes from my house. This is my 2nd live event. A business client actually took me out to UFC 100 but I wasn't a fan at the time, so this is my first event where I actually knew wtf's going on.

Bought the $40 tickets ($50 after ticketmaster gayness). The seats were decent but I noticed a lot of empty seats were available so me and my friends just moved up.

http://i.imgur.com/GS55Bsz.jpg

Not bad for $50 eh?

Some random thoughts

- I was REALLY looking forward to Marlon Sandro fighting and was really disappointed in his performance. The Russian guy definitely deserved the win.

- A lot of Russia vs Brazil matches. I think the rivalry's emerging. We've been looking for some great Russian fighters after Fedor / Sergei and it's great to see there's a lot of up and coming fighters from Russia. But yea definitely love Russia vs Brazil since it reminds me of the Fedor vs Big Nog rivalry.

- Night and day difference between the talent on the prelim cards that featured a lot of local guys, and the main card.

- I'm really enjoying featherweight division. I think in the future we could see the deepest weight classes being LW, WW, and then featherweight. They're fucking fast, and still a good KO rate.

- I think there was only 1 decision the whole night, plenty of KO's and submissions

- After seeing an event up close and live you really start to appreciate the "human" aspect of the sport. Ex. a prelim guy won and half an hour later was hanging out with his family / friends in the audience later & taking pictures with fans. Kind of hard to remember sometimes that these fighters are jsut regular guys like us.

- Greatest post fight interview when Alex beat Falcao. His broken English and dropping the F Bomb on live televsion was amazing. BTW Falcao didn't move for 2 fucking minutes after that KO.

- I can see why Bellator wants to hold on to Eddie Alvarez. Having Lombard and Alvarez as champions really legitimized them with some star power and champions that could compete with the UFC. Their champions now are good, but are almost virtually unknowns. Personally I think they should work on building their own stars and marketing them more. They can't compete with UFC over bidding wars for people. Sign stars that the UFC have released, and have Bellator fighters make a name by beating them.

- Fucking annoying live crowd. A bunch of tapout wearing douches everywhere.

Anyways great event, just wanted to share my experiences!

I never really paid attention to Bellator before unless it was a big fight, going to be watching them more regularly now.

Mr. IWS
02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
good shit man. Im hoping to go next time they are in Atlantic city.

poopoo333
02-08-2013, 01:46 PM
good shit man. Im hoping to go next time they are in Atlantic city.

April 4th. Pat Curran vs Daniel Straus

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/02004A3ECF1C8944?artistid=1319868&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=830

Mr. IWS
02-08-2013, 01:48 PM
April 4th. Pat Curran vs Daniel Straus

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/02004A3ECF1C8944?artistid=1319868&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=830

Dam, that might be no good lol, I need them to come back in the summer.

SPX
02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Good write up! Thanks.

They're coming here later this month. I'd like to go but not sure I can find anyone to go with.

Mr. IWS
02-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Actually I might go to that one.