PDA

View Full Version : The UFC's domination...or lack there of

Luke
03-04-2013, 03:45 PM
I was always one to believe the best fighters were not in the UFC..... at least not all of them and I think the recent records of those that came from outside the organization proves this.

Bendo-WEC- current 155 champ
Pettis-WEC-current #1 contender at 155
Cormier-Strikeforce- future 205 or HW #1 contender
Lawler-Strikeforce- just defeat KOS who was top 5 at 170
Werdum-Strikeforce , top 5 HW
Bigfoot-Strikeforce-fighting for HW the title
Mark Hunt-Pride-nuff said
Reem- Strikeforce- smashed former champ Lesnar , top 5 HW

I'm not even going to count the Lavar Johnson's , Jake Shields , Souza, Rockhold, Hendo or other fighters that only have a few wins in the UFC or have yet to fight. And lets not even get into the PRIDE fighters that came over.Without all the fighters that came from outside the organization, they may only have 50% of the most talented fighters in the world. No point really, just bored

MMA_scientist
03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
WEC was straight up superior at LW. That's pretty much a fact now. I never felt that the UFC's HW's were as good as the non-UFC heavy's. At this point in time though, in 2013, they pretty much have all but a few of the best fighters. In the past, there was some marketing hype propping up the talent a little, but now, I can't even think of 5 fighters I would like to see in the UFC. Askren, Chandler... that's all I can think of. I would like to see Freire in the UFC at his rightful weightclass. I would like to see Bibiano fight at 135. But really, they have everyone at this point. There are probably a bunch of 125 and 135 pounders out there that are as good or better than the UFC comp, I just don't pay enough attention to those classes to know who they are.

edman5555
03-04-2013, 05:10 PM
They are missing Barnett, King mo, shlemenko, Rick hawn is pretty good, and they have megumi Fuji.

MMA_scientist
03-04-2013, 05:25 PM
They are missing Barnett, King mo, shlemenko, Rick hawn is pretty good, and they have megumi Fuji.

I have seen Barnett fight Cormier, so I know he won't be champ. I seriously doubt he would fare better against Cain or JDS. I don't think he would beat Overeem or Werdum either. I would love to see Mir/Barnett though. King Mo can't even beat the Bellator tourney field, who cares. Rick Hawn... eh, he clearly isn't a top 5 type guy. I feel the same way about Schlemenko... if Lombard can't get it done, Schlemenko definitely can't. I don't think any of those guys would be more than gatekeepers.

edman5555
03-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Oh I just meant that they would be good. Not champions. Maybe mo would have a chance.

Svino
03-04-2013, 06:52 PM
You know who the UFC doesn't have that I bet would beat most of their WW roster? Jon Fitch.

Is Megumi Fujii retired? I seem to remember a lot of people saying her end-of-2012 fight was "probably her last".

edman5555
03-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Lol good point.

SPX
03-04-2013, 11:39 PM
WEC was straight up superior at LW.

You think WEC Bendo or Pettis would've beaten Penn while he was on his pre-Edgar path of destruction?

SPX
03-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Is Megumi Fujii retired? I seem to remember a lot of people saying her end-of-2012 fight was "probably her last".

My understanding is that she's retired, yeah.

Svino
03-05-2013, 12:36 AM
You think WEC Bendo or Pettis would've beaten Penn while he was on his pre-Edgar path of destruction?

I would guess not, but then, Penn was always a little hard to call.

SPX
03-05-2013, 12:37 AM
I talked to Bendo for an article for the mag once right after he won the belt. He said he went to Hilo to train with Penn and Penn beat his ass.

But you're right, who knows how it would've really gone down if that fight had happened.

MMA_scientist
03-05-2013, 09:29 AM

I don't see why not. Bendo would certainly be favored to beat him now, and I really don't know that Penn was a different fighter for Edgar as opposed to Florian. I think he was just fighting easier guys and appeared invincible because of that.

Luke
03-05-2013, 12:11 PM
I talked to Bendo for an article for the mag once right after he won the belt. He said he went to Hilo to train with Penn and Penn beat his ass.

But you're right, who knows how it would've really gone down if that fight had happened.

If that was the case why didn't Penn just go back to 155 and fight Bendo?

edman5555
03-05-2013, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't be suprisee if bendo was saying that to be nice.

Luke
03-05-2013, 12:43 PM

Agree. It makes no sense if it were true. If Penn knew he could beat Bendo he'd go back to 155 in a second and take his title back.

edman5555
03-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Frankly I don't see bj putting up with bendos pace, wrestling and bjj defense. I do think bj penn would have a chance but I wouldn't favor him. Bendo is christian so he doesn't drink or smoke. He's hungry as hell so he trains all the time. Id love to see bj come back like an animal and consistently put the work in to be great again. It would probably take a long time and might involve going to a different camp. I think it would take him a while to get to the level where his cardio is at bendos level. That shit takes some serious dedication.

Mr. IWS
03-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Bendo is christian so he doesn't drink or smoke.

::handshake::

SPX
03-05-2013, 04:47 PM
I don't see why not. Bendo would certainly be favored to beat him now, and I really don't know that Penn was a different fighter for Edgar as opposed to Florian. I think he was just fighting easier guys and appeared invincible because of that.

Penn won the first fight against Edgar, at least in my opinion. And I think Edgar won the second fight against Bendo. So depending on how both guys are fighting on any given night, it is not hard to think that Penn could win.

SPX
03-05-2013, 04:57 PM
If that was the case why didn't Penn just go back to 155 and fight Bendo?

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that:

1. LW BJ >>>>>>>>> WW BJ

2. BJ doesn't want to fight at lightweight. More glory at WW and he hates cutting the weight.

But yeah, it's a good question, why didn't BJ go back to LW after the Fitch fight? Or the Diaz fight? And if he's going to keep fighting, why doesn't he go back NOW? He obviously needs to.

SPX
03-05-2013, 04:59 PM

Hey, Jesus turned water to wine.

MMA_scientist
03-05-2013, 05:12 PM

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4204820/0531-jon-bones-jones-mugshot-2_large.jpg

SPX
03-05-2013, 05:15 PM
BOL.

edman5555
03-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Ok you got me. I am not a christian. I drink a lot. I smoke. I just assumed. Made an ass out of me.

SPX
03-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Well there are Christians who do both. Smoking is generally looked on as worse than drinking. But Jesus turned water to wine and there are a lot of other instances in the Bible of major protagonists drinking. Getting drunk is considered a sin though.

Luke
03-05-2013, 09:48 PM
I wish god would turn some water into wine and bring it to me

SPX
03-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Yeah, no shit. Also beer. Specifically, Provo Girl from Squatters.

MMA_scientist
03-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Ok you got me. I am not a christian. I drink a lot. I smoke. I just assumed. Made an ass out of me.

Like tobacco? Serious question... why?

edman5555
03-05-2013, 10:43 PM
I used to smoke tobacco. I quit. I occasionally smoke weed. Not as much anymore. I drink regularly. Have you ever smoked weed scientist?

MMA_scientist
03-05-2013, 11:34 PM
I used to smoke tobacco. I quit. I occasionally smoke weed. Not as much anymore. I drink regularly. Have you ever smoked weed scientist?

No, i never have. I have never smoked tobacco either. I think it is gross.

SPX
03-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Cigarettes are pretty gross for sure. I've had a lot of family members who smoke. The last time I smoked regularly I was 12 years old. It's bullshit.

edman5555
03-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Bendo claimed he doesn't smoke or drink because he is christian.