View Full Version : Matt Mitrione Suspended by the UFC

SPX
04-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Matt decided to dedicate a segment of his Mitrione Minute on the MMA Hour to Fallon Fox and the UFC is not amused. He's been suspended.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/4/8/4202690/matt-mitrione-suspended-fallon-fox-transphobia

To see Matt's comments, skip to 14:45:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/4/8/4194168/the-mma-hour-with-conor-mcgregor-miesha-tate-matt-mitrione-melvin

edman5555
04-08-2013, 09:49 PM
He was a little harsh but he does make some sense. Fallon fox is a man that is fighti women.

zY|
04-08-2013, 09:52 PM
I was ready to defend Matt, because I like the Mitrione minute and assumed he was just making jokes, but lol no. That was pretty bad. What the hell was he thinking?

zY|
04-08-2013, 09:53 PM
He was a little harsh but he does make some sense. Fallon fox is a man that is fighti women.

Not according to a legion of people who actually know what they're talking about.

SPX
04-08-2013, 09:57 PM

I make no claim to really understanding the science regarding gender reassignment surgery, transgender people, etc. I do know that at one time Fallon Fox WAS a man. But is he/she now? That is, does he now have male sex organs? Does he has male levels of testosterone?

If biologically Fallon Fox is a girl now then she's a girl, regardless of what the case was in the past. At least that's how I see it. It's my fair assessment.

I was ready to defend Matt, because I like the Mitrione minute and assumed he was just making jokes, but lol no. That was pretty bad. What the hell was he thinking?

Yeah, he broke bad. He had to know that would not end well for him. And LOL at setting the stage with rape jokes.

zY|
04-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Rereading my last post, it comes off pretty dickish. It wasn't intended that way; I was just referring to this article.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/3/8/4075434/leading-sex-reassignment-physicians-weigh-in-on-fallon-fox

SPX
04-08-2013, 10:01 PM
^^^ Will be reading that later. Looks interesting.

Ludo
04-08-2013, 10:17 PM
From some standpoints the gender reassignment surgery leaves no advantage in the way of testosterone and whatnot. But you can't change bone density, skull and jaw formation, larger hands/longer arms, or the way muscle groups have already formed and some of the other basic physiological differences between men and women besides sexual organs and the production of testosterone. Fallon Fox without a doubt has advantages simply by having grown up into an adult male.

SPX
04-08-2013, 10:19 PM
So do you think the advantage is to the point that she shouldn't be allowed to compete? I mean, structurally, she certainly doesn't seem to have any advantage over the likes of, say, Cyborg. Or even a thicker, obviously bigger boned girl like Sarah Kaufman.

Svino
04-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I won't claim to be certain, but I doubt very much that Fallon Fox is carrying any significant advantage over from her former sex. And Mitrione's comments are completely over the top regardless. I think some sort of suspension is a good move on the UFC's part.

SPX
04-08-2013, 10:48 PM
I'll say:

1. I don't agree with Mit's comments.
2. I don't think he should be suspended.

Basically, I guess I think it comes down to freedom of speech. He wasn't speaking as a UFC representative. He was just giving his individual opinion on something. Maybe it's a shitty opinion, but he has a right to it.

poopoo333
04-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Would you guys fuck Fallon Fox?

SPX
04-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Maybe if she looked like this all time and not just in this one picture:

http://prommanow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/fallon-fox1-400x400.jpg

zY|
04-08-2013, 11:36 PM
I'll say:

1. I don't agree with Mit's comments.
2. I don't think he should be suspended.

Basically, I guess I think it comes down to freedom of speech. He wasn't speaking as a UFC representative. He was just giving his individual opinion on something. Maybe it's a shitty opinion, but he has a right to it.

Freedom of speech just means he can't be arrested for his comments. It doesn't mean a private company can't discipline a contractual employee. I'm not sure I agree with the suspension, either, all that said. Although, I really don't care either way. What are they going to suspend him for, 3-4 months? He probably won't even miss a fight.

SPX
04-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Freedom of speech just means he can't be arrested for his comments. It doesn't mean a private company can't discipline a contractual employee.

That's true, but if they're American, they should espouse American values.

Speaking of which, I think I'm going to get one of these shirts:

http://rlv.zcache.com/back_to_back_world_war_champs_distressed_black_tee-r3dfffb5929c74b2893f776dd76c4e3d4_va6lr_512.jpg

I'm not sure I agree with the suspension, either, all that said. Although, I really don't care either way. What are they going to suspend him for, 3-4 months? He probably won't even miss a fight.

I figured as much. The "suspension" is really just a PR thing. They don't really give a fuck.

Ludo
04-09-2013, 01:43 AM
Other fighters have spoken out against Fox, but Mitrione's over the top and, probably most important here, unsolicited comments are what the UFC took action against. There's nothing in the first amendment that says your employer needs to let you say whatever you want while at the same time representing them either directly or indirectly. That's why dvd's and shit always have that "the views expressed here do not represent the views of the studio" or whatever.

SPX
04-09-2013, 01:49 AM
Bear in mind that the UFC isn't even really their fighters' "employer." The fighters are contractors. That's it. The UFC pays them to beat some ass a couple of nights out of the year and nothing more.

Mr. IWS
04-09-2013, 08:36 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/back_to_back_world_war_champs_distressed_black_tee-r3dfffb5929c74b2893f776dd76c4e3d4_va6lr_512.jpg

Best shirt EVAR!

Ludo
04-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Bear in mind that the UFC isn't even really their fighters' "employer." The fighters are contractors. That's it. The UFC pays them to beat some ass a couple of nights out of the year and nothing more.

The UFC is who they get their insurance through, though. They also get paid to do photo shoots, interviews, press conferences, open workouts, Q&A's, and all the other shit that goes along with fighting on a UFC card. These guys, like most professional athletes, are constant representatives in the media of their sport and whatever "team"(read organization) they compete for.

poopoo333
04-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Matt Mitrione said Fallon Fox is a man, and that men shouldn't be fighting women. However, Brett Rogers disagrees.

::lmao::

edman5555
04-09-2013, 03:13 PM
The UFC is who they get their insurance through, though. They also get paid to do photo shoots, interviews, press conferences, open workouts, Q&A's, and all the other shit that goes along with fighting on a UFC card. These guys, like most professional athletes, are constant representatives in the media of their sport and whatever "team"(read organization) they compete for.

True.

edman5555
04-09-2013, 03:14 PM
From some standpoints the gender reassignment surgery leaves no advantage in the way of testosterone and whatnot. But you can't change bone density, skull and jaw formation, larger hands/longer arms, or the way muscle groups have already formed and some of the other basic physiological differences between men and women besides sexual organs and the production of testosterone. Fallon Fox without a doubt has advantages simply by having grown up into an adult male.

This.

Luke
04-09-2013, 06:20 PM
I see nothing wrong with what Matt did and I dont even like him. And come on, this thing obviously has advantages over a woman.

zY|
04-09-2013, 07:01 PM

Maybe. Maybe not. I don't see how that's something you can just armchair assume. It's not like she's 6 feet tall.

Ludo
04-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Maybe. Maybe not. I don't see how that's something you can just armchair assume. It's not like she's 6 feet tall.

Where's the assumption? Redesigning the genitalia and going on hormone therapy has nothing to do with how large the hands have already grown to, how much thicker the bones are by nature, or the myriad of other physiological differences between men and women that simply cannot be undone after the fact. Fallon Fox is 36 years old, and had this surgery in 2006, which means that Fox lived 29 years as a male. Men and women differ in skeletal structure, and that's not something that some hormone injections are going to change after a full bout of sexual maturity and the usual age at which a man stops growing(25). Typically males will have larger heart and lungs than females, as well as 30% more lung capacity.

Are you really proposing that growing up and becoming a fully matured male in all facets has somehow been undone by hormone replacement therapy and a procedure that can be visualized with a sandwich baggy?

SPX
04-09-2013, 09:26 PM
I guess my biggest question is how much some slightly larger hands or some slightly larger bones would really affect things. Not much, I'd assume. And as a small boned male, I've seen plenty of girls who obviously have bigger frames than I do.

Ludo
04-09-2013, 09:44 PM
I guess my biggest question is how much some slightly larger hands or some slightly larger bones would really affect things. Not much, I'd assume. And as a small boned male, I've seen plenty of girls who obviously have bigger frames than I do.

Larger hands makes it much easier to grip and hold onto things. For instance if your hand fits all the way around someone elses wrists it is much more likely that you'll be able to keep that person from breaking your grip(see Semmy Schilt's fight with Pete Williams). Larger hands also creates a heavier punch just like putting a larger head on a hammer before you swing it around. More bone mass makes bones harder to fracture, which means more stress can be applied to them before such a thing would occur.

zY|
04-09-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm not proposing anything. I'm just not pretending to know, like you are.

zY|
04-09-2013, 09:48 PM
BTW Fallon Fox returns fire

"Matt Mitrione (http://www.sbnation.com/mma/fighter/122496/matt-mitrione) went well beyond disagreeing with the medical experts who say I should be able to compete as a woman, and personally attacked me as a fighter, as a woman, and as a human being.

"His comments do not reflect the spirit of our sport, where most competitors uphold values like respect and dignity."

Ludo
04-09-2013, 09:59 PM
I'm not proposing anything. I'm just not pretending to know, like you are.

Umadbroyolo?

zY|
04-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Very mad.

SPX
04-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Larger hands makes it much easier to grip and hold onto things. For instance if your hand fits all the way around someone elses wrists it is much more likely that you'll be able to keep that person from breaking your grip(see Semmy Schilt's fight with Pete Williams). Larger hands also creates a heavier punch just like putting a larger head on a hammer before you swing it around. More bone mass makes bones harder to fracture, which means more stress can be applied to them before such a thing would occur.

I'll put it this way. . .

If you can find just ONE woman in her division who has bigger hands etc then this is a moot point. I still need more evidence before I'd make the decision that she simply should not be able to compete.

Svino
04-09-2013, 10:59 PM

Don't forget, there are weight classes. More bone mass almost certainly means less muscle mass. Are you so certain that a pound of bone is worth more for fighting than a pound of muscle?

I'd be curious to see if greater hand size correlates to higher winning percentage for fighters of a given weight class, but I'm not at all sure how it would go.

Luke
04-09-2013, 11:54 PM
I just heard Frankie Edgar is cutting on his penis and moving to the women's 135lb division for an immediate title shot

SPX
04-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Luke, why is your sarcastic comments to legitimate thoughts post ratio like 5:1?

Ludo
04-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Luke, why is your sarcastic comments to legitimate thoughts post ratio like 5:1?

Someone has to be here for the comedic value ever since zY stopped being funny.

zY|
04-10-2013, 03:53 AM
Harsh toke, bro.

poopoo333
04-10-2013, 07:36 AM
So if Fallon Fox sucked my dick, would it be gay?

Mr. IWS
04-10-2013, 08:25 AM
So if Fallon Fox sucked my dick, would it be gay?

Depends on how big its hands are.

::handshake::

MMA_scientist
04-10-2013, 12:27 PM
I see nothing wrong with what Matt did and I dont even like him. And come on, this thing obviously has advantages over a woman.

+1.

You guys are bunch of gays.

edman5555
04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
+1.

You guys are bunch of gays.

Yeah its pretty obvious Fallon will have some advantages. You can't undo what nature has done. They don't really make him into a women. It's not like he now has ovaries and can produce life. They just chopped his balls off and gave him fake titties as well as some hormone injections. Its not really a sex change because you can't really change someones gender. They are what they are, just in Fallon Fox's case he has been modified.