View Full Version : Jon Fitch Talks Money

SPX
06-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Pretty interesting. Discuss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMundrG9jcA

Mr. IWS
06-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Oh, so He doesnt make anything from sponsors?

Da fuk outta here. Every big company makes 1000x more then their employees. Its America, thats how shit is done here.

MMA_scientist
06-10-2013, 02:00 PM
MMA fighter pay is an absolute joke. You almost can't even consider them professional athletes.

SPX
06-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I mean after SO many fights--the vast majority of which he won--and being #2 welterweight and title contender for almost a decade, it really seems like Fitch would've made more during his time in the UFC. I mean, after the run he had, I would've expected him to take in a good $3 to $5 million.

edman5555
06-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Spx, you should do stories on fighter pay. Call up fighters an interview them about it. Maybe you can lead on this one. There dont seem to be any other journalists writing anything substantial about this at all.

SPX
06-10-2013, 06:13 PM
The big problem is that a lot of fighters don't really want to talk about it. I was going to try to do an article on the discrepancy between male and female fighter and asked around a bit and most were kind of tight lipped about their finances. But yeah, it would be good to do something on that.

edman5555
06-10-2013, 06:14 PM
One criticism i have of his video is he states he was making 176k per year but when he started out he probably wasnt making shit. I bet if you averaged his last 2 to 3 years his pay would be a lot different. At ufc 76 he made 22k to show and 22k to beat diego sanchez. At ufc 153 he made 60k to show and 60k to beat erick silva.

Of course they dont always fight three times a year, or even two.

edman5555
06-10-2013, 06:15 PM
The big problem is that a lot of fighters don't really want to talk about it. I was going to try to do an article on the discrepancy between male and female fighter and asked around a bit and most were kind of tight lipped about their finances. But yeah, it would be good to do something on that.

Try sean mccorkle. He already mad a statement about it publicly. Maybe he would talk again and you can get the story. Aother way could be ex ufc fighters or retired. Call sean sherk.

Luke
06-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I mean after SO many fights--the vast majority of which he won--and being #2 welterweight and title contender for almost a decade, it really seems like Fitch would've made more during his time in the UFC. I mean, after the run he had, I would've expected him to take in a good $3 to $5 million.

If he were a boxer and ranked #2 for a decade , he'd have banked 25-30 million....or more. The problem is the UFC, they pay what they want and there's nothing anyone can do about it because they are the biggest company in the market. In boxing , there is no company brand you fight under...you have a promoter who takes a portion of the profits, but the boxers get the vast majority of the money. In the UFC ,the owners are getting 80% of the money,in boxing the boxers get 80% of the money. Dana and the Ferritta fags walk around worth hundreds of millions,while UFC fighters make a few hundred thousand. In boxing , Mayweather, Manny, Cotto, the Klit's, walk around worth a 100 million each but Arum and Golden Boy also have that kind of dough.

Its always going to be this way until all the fighters decide to leave the UFC and put cards together on there own. If Anderson Silva and GSP left the UFC and fought on an independent card of there own, they could easily take home 20-25 million each. I'm really not sure why Arum and Golden Boy havent already tried setting mma fights.