PDA

View Full Version : Is MMA suffering from over exposure?

Mr. IWS
12-13-2013, 01:45 PM
I was talking about this today.

I liked the sport better when the cards were a spread out, weeks apart, the card was stacked top to bottom, and every fight meant something.

Adding in all these weight classes, females, a million TUF shows, cards every other week, etc is really killing my love for the sport.

What say you?

trotterz
12-13-2013, 02:37 PM
it's killing mine as well

Luke
12-13-2013, 03:31 PM
100% yes. It will soon be boxing (if it isnt already) where people care about 1-2 cards a year and thats it

JimGunn
12-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Even after being a huge fan for several years since the first TUF helped blow the sport up I'm loving the more frequent fights. Especially since I started wagering on them because I love more action.

MMA_scientist
12-13-2013, 08:44 PM
I don't give a shit about 95% of these fights and I will never buy a card again. So, yes.

They need to drop the women, drop the midgets below 155, and have fewer cards with fights that I care about. They also need to sign the best fighters and not just the the brawlers. I have been losing respoct for the UFC as a legitimate sport slowly and surely, now I basically equate it with WWE or Rollerderby.

Luke
12-13-2013, 08:59 PM
I don't give a shit about 95% of these fights and I will never buy a card again. So, yes.

They need to drop the women, drop the midgets below 155, and have fewer cards with fights that I care about. They also need to sign the best fighters and not just the the brawlers. I have been losing respoct for the UFC as a legitimate sport slowly and surely, now I basically equate it with WWE or Rollerderby.

Instead of hiring midgets and women they should be signing more HW's , LHW's, and MW's . The UFC has like 10 HW's and not many more MW's but all they care about is these mdigets and women that no one cares about

MMA_scientist
12-13-2013, 09:22 PM
Instead of hiring midgets and women they should be signing more HW's , LHW's, and MW's . The UFC has like 10 HW's and not many more MW's but all they care about is these mdigets and women that no one cares about

Yep, and when they do have a good MW, they cut him because he is asian and a grappler. Honestly, the women are a gimmick. It never worked for boxing as soon as Layla Ali and George Foreman XIV retired and it won'y work for MMA as soon as Rousey leaves, which will be soon. The level just isnt there and it never will be. And 125 pounders? That's like a 7 year old, who gives a shit about the toughest guy that can't ride roller coasters? No one. I don't really care about things in relative terms, like well, he is the toughest half-ling on teh planet? MAybe we should get a handicap division and 50 year old division too. I don't care if he is the toughest guy out of the 200 adults that weigh 125.

poopoo333
12-14-2013, 12:22 AM
I guess I'm in the minority (besides being a chink). I like all the cards. I'm getting annoyed at the fact that I'm working on nights of some cards though. fuck it, I'm quitting.

JimGunn
12-14-2013, 01:58 AM

How can you have almost 30,000 posts on a forum like this but be so far off about the size of the UFC roster, especially when it's available online? According to Wikipedia there are 30, not 10, heavyweights on the UFC roster currently and 55 Middleweights! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_UFC_fighters#Heavyweights_.28265_l b.2C_120_kg.29

Luke
12-14-2013, 02:41 AM
How can you have almost 30,000 posts on a forum like this but be so far off about the size of the UFC roster, especially when it's available online? According to Wikipedia there are 30, not 10, heavyweights on the UFC roster currently and 55 Middleweights! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_UFC_fighters#Heavyweights_.28265_l b.2C_120_kg.29

Pretty sure everyone (except you) realized my number wasn't a literal one.

How's this: The UFC has 10 HW's that anyone has ever heard of and not many more at MW?

Is that good enough for you or should I take a poll of all the fighters that fans have heard of so I can have an exact number?

JimGunn
12-14-2013, 03:20 AM
Pretty sure everyone (except you) realized my number wasn't a literal one.

How's this: The UFC has 10 HW's that anyone has ever heard of and not many more at MW?

Is that good enough for you or should I take a poll of all the fighters that fans have heard of so I can have an exact number?

The UFC roster has TRIPLE the number of heavyweight fighters than what you said. Your number wasn't literal, it wasn't figurative, it wasn't representative, it wasn't an approximation. It wasn't even in the ballpark.

Mr. IWS
12-14-2013, 07:31 AM
The UFC roster has TRIPLE the number of heavyweight fighters than what you said. Your number wasn't literal, it wasn't figurative, it wasn't representative, it wasn't an approximation. It wasn't even in the ballpark.

Take it easy bro, He said "like" 10 HW. We all know they have more then 10 HW.

Mr. IWS
12-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Looking back, I think the UFC peaked for me when Couture fought James Toney. Even though it was funny to see, and I do love a good freak show, ever since then, It just seems like the UFC isnt the same.

edman5555
12-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Firing okami and fitch were serious low points for the ufc. So was not signing askren. Everyone knows its his style.

Luke
12-14-2013, 12:43 PM

We don't play the "let's argue over dumb shit" here. So if that's what you're looking for you might as well start looking for the exit. We were discussing whether the UFC is overexposed or not , not if someone can name the exact number of fighters in each division

Luke
12-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Firing okami and fitch were serious low points for the ufc. So was not signing askren. Everyone knows its his style.

I think the Fitch cut was okay since he hasn't looked like a world-beater since the cut , but the Okami release was just dumb

Luke
12-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Looking back, I think the UFC peaked for me when Couture fought James Toney. Even though it was funny to see, and I do love a good freak show, ever since then, It just seems like the UFC isnt the same.

I thought the UFC lost steam as soon as Lesnar left

edmann

MMA_scientist
12-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Werdum is the only HW left for Cain. There are only like 4 HW's that are worth a shit. They need to get Cole Konrad out of his real work.

Luke
12-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Werdum is the only HW left for Cain. There are only like 4 HW's that are worth a shit. They need to get Cole Konrad out of his real work.

You better be sure about that 4 number

edman5555
12-14-2013, 08:53 PM
You better be sure about that 4 number

LOL. I welcome all new forum members but that made me laugh.

JimGunn
12-14-2013, 09:22 PM
LOL. I welcome all new forum members but that made me laugh.

I know I'm new here but with Luke's math Demetrious Johnson is "like" seven feet tall, LOL.

DaKid
12-14-2013, 09:57 PM
I think there is a place for womens MMA and The smaller weight classes, but I think they belong in the smaller orgs.