PDA

View Full Version : GSP said Fuck you, I'm out!

Mr. IWS
12-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Leaving the UFC to bang bitches and gain weight.

Longtime UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre is hanging up his gloves -- for the time being, anyway.

St. Pierre announced Friday during a media conference call that he will vacate the welterweight title and take a leave of absence.

“I’ve talked with Dana [White] and Lorenzo [Fertitta] about it,” said St. Pierre. “I’ve been fighting for long time. I’ve had 22 fights in the UFC at a very high level, and I decided I need to take some time off. I know the UFC is a business, and they have to keep things rolling. I don’t want to make people wait out of the respect for the sport, so I vacate the title. One day, when I feel like it, I might come back, but right now, I need a break.”

“Rush” returned from a torn ACL last year and successfully defended his belt against interim champion Carlos Condit before outpointing former Strikeforce ruler Nick Diaz to kick off 2013. St. Pierre last competed on Nov. 16, when he took a split decision from Johny Hendricks to retain his title at UFC 167. The victory was a controversial one, and St. Pierre made reference to a potential break from fighting in his post-fight interview.

A two-time welterweight champion, St. Pierre began his MMA career in 2002 and won the UFC title from Matt Hughes in 2006. Though the 32-year-old was upset by heavy underdog Matt Serra in his first defense, St. Pierre regained his belt from the New Yorker two years later and then defended the strap a record nine consecutive times, capping the stretch with his split decision win over Hendricks.

Mr. IWS
12-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Dana still dont want Askren either? What a fuckin dummy

Luke
12-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Think they should resign Kimbo to make up for the PPV loses.

and good for GSP

Mr. IWS
12-13-2013, 04:35 PM
UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (http://espn.go.com/mma/fighter/_/id/2335659/georges-st-pierre) announced Friday that he will step away from fighting for an undetermined period of time.As such, St-Pierre will relinquish the UFC belt one month after retaining his title for the ninth time following a controversial decision over Johnny Hendricks in Las Vegas.
UFC president Dana White announced that in lieu of St-Pierre, Hendricks has been tabbed to fight Robbie Lawler (http://espn.go.com/mma/fighter/_/id/2431258/robbie-lawler) for the vacant strap March 15 in Dallas.
St-Pierre, 32, cited personal issues and a severe reaction to the intensifying pressure of being a star athlete for his decision to walk away at this time.
"My life is a frickin' zoo right now," the native of Montreal, Quebec, said during a teleconference.
St-Pierre refused to explain the nature of his personal issues. During a question-and-answer session at an event in Quebec City following the announcement, St-Pierre said he will consult with his family about the direction of his career.
The three-time Canadian athlete of the year will continue to train and improve on his considerable skills, he said. However, he did not wish to think about fighting at this time, and didn't consider it fair to hold up an expansive list of contenders beneath him.
"I'm content," St-Pierre said. "It's a lot of things I wanted to do. I wanted to be the greatest and also I said before when I do things, I want to do things to be remembered. To make a difference in the sport. Make the sport reach another level. I'm trying to do it during my last fight. Unfortunately, it did not work. These people are not ready for it. I tried to do my best."
St-Pierre was alluding to his disappointment regarding the scope of drug testing leading up to his fight with Hendricks on Nov. 16 in Las Vegas, the fighter's manager, Rodolphe Beaulieu, told ESPN.com.
St-Pierre said he hoped for a "normal" life, and that he didn't "want people thinking about me."
St-Pierre has been outstanding as a competitor for the UFC, standing as champion twice since 2006 while posting a 25-2 record. The fighter said he was 100 percent healthy and ready to physically compete; however, mentally he was ill-prepared to step in the cage at this time.
St-Pierre is the most successful draw on pay-per-view for the UFC, but White noted this is part of the business.
"He's got these issues that he needs to deal with, and once he deals with them he can focus on training and being a fighter again," said White.
St-Pierre also left the door wide open to returning.
"If I decide to come back I will be at the top of the game," he said.

Anyone know what that drug testing thing is about? First I heard of it.

Luke
12-13-2013, 05:06 PM

That he's on PED's

MMA_scientist
12-13-2013, 08:39 PM

GSP and Future Champ agreed to do WADA testing. Then GSP pulled some scheduling thing and FC backed out. It has been speculated that FC wasn't off his cycle yet and that's why he didn't want to test at GSP's discretion.

Im glad he's stepping down for a while, hopefully he just retires instead of coming out of "retirement" as a shell of his former self

zY|
12-14-2013, 01:21 AM
I haz a sad. :(

Good for him, though. You never see someone go out on top. If anyone retires and stays retired I could see GSP being the one to do so, but who knows, he still might come back and look like shit.

zY|
12-14-2013, 01:22 AM
And yeah, Robbie fucking Lawler, fighting for arguably the most prestigious belt in MMA...in 2014. LOL

Luke
12-14-2013, 02:50 AM
And yeah, Robbie fucking Lawler, fighting for arguably the most prestigious belt in MMA...in 2014. LOL

And only a few fights after getting embarrassed by Barry Larkin lol

Mr. IWS
12-14-2013, 07:27 AM
GSP and Future Champ agreed to do WADA testing. Then GSP pulled some scheduling thing and FC backed out. It has been speculated that FC wasn't off his cycle yet and that's why he didn't want to test at GSP's discretion.

Im glad he's stepping down for a while, hopefully he just retires instead of coming out of "retirement" as a shell of his former self

::handshake::

Mr. IWS
12-18-2013, 04:46 PM
http://oi39.tinypic.com/152hpqh.jpg