PDA

View Full Version : Is Machida an anomoly having success with a karate backgound

Luke
01-19-2014, 01:52 PM
He's had great success in the UFC coming from a striking background. Brandon Thatch is the only other guy that I can think of with a karate background that has a lot of potential. So is a karate background something that can propel you to the title or are these two guys outliers and karate isn't that successful in MMA? Should people stick to boxing and Muay Thai instead?

Thoughts?

edman5555
01-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Kikuno just used karate to beat quinn mulhern.

Mr. IWS
01-19-2014, 02:03 PM
So is a karate background something that can propel you to the title

I dont think so. I think of all the disciplines, it is the weakest. Muy Thai and boxing is much better IMO for striking, which is why You rarely hear a guy thats any good with a karate background.

I think Machida is a rarity, He has had success, but I think his other disciplines (grappling, sumo, etc) is what makes him a top fighter.

I dont even know who the fuck Brandon Thatch is so...........

Luke
01-19-2014, 02:06 PM
Kikuno just used karate to beat quinn mulhern.

Who and who?

Luke
01-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Thatch is the guy that recently killed Paulo Thiago in Brazil . I think he matches up well vs guys like Condit and Rory

Svino
01-19-2014, 02:35 PM
I think most fighters are going to improve much faster training MT compared to training karate. A couple things to consider though:

1) There's always the advantage of being different. Just using a style their opponents won't be as familiar with may be enough to "support" a few talented fighters with unconventional approaches.

2) It seems that MT emphasizes more powerful shin strikes, while karate emphasizes faster (less hip rotation) and longer foot strikes. The more a fight turns on scoring "points", the better the second technique will be compared to the first since landing matters more than damage. Also consider that more and more fights are going to decision as fighters are more evenly matched and we introduce lower weight classes. So I could imagine a trend toward more fighters, especially the lighter ones, picking up some more karate style kicking techniques.

Mr. IWS
01-19-2014, 02:50 PM
The more a fight turns on scoring "points", the better the second technique will be compared to the first since landing matters more than damage. Also consider that more and more fights are going to decision as fighters are more evenly matched and we introduce lower weight classes.

Thats a pretty valid point. I hate this point fighting shit, but its the name of the game anymore.

::handshake::

poopoo333
01-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Are you trying to lure SPX back?

Mr. IWS
01-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Are you trying to lure SPX back?

LMAO! He's actually popped in the last couple days

trotterz
01-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Gsp comes from a karate background. Stephen thompson as well