PDA

View Full Version : Silva's Defense: Tainted Blue Sex Magic - What does this mean for his legacy?

SPX
08-17-2015, 11:37 AM
I'm sure by now we've all heard of Anderson Silva's defense for his positive PED test: a sexual performance drug that he claims he bought in Thailand and comes in the form of a blue vial of liquid. My first reaction to this was "bullshit!" Then I started thinking about it more and I realized it could be a "truth is stranger than fiction" situation. Obviously there's no way to no for sure, but gun to my head I really do assume he juiced and now he's trying to cover it up.

So let's assume he did juice. Did he just do it that one time in his career, to get over the injury, or has he in fact been doing it the whole time and he's just now getting caught?

And what does this mean for his legacy? After having such a long and illustrious career--no doubt the greatest middleweight of all time at this point--THIS is how things are coming to an end? Even though I've never been a big A. Silva fan, I have to say I think that's a shame.

Luke
08-17-2015, 07:00 PM
I think he really damages his legacy. Anytime you get busted for roids, people start thinking you've been on them for years. FWIW, I think it was a lone occurnace, but to most it doesn't matter

SPX
08-17-2015, 07:15 PM
Yeah. It definitely is a sad and unfortunate black mark on what was otherwise a sterling career. I mean, to have the kind of run he had and reach the heights he hit and this is how you go out? That sucks.

Can you imagine how GSP would react if this had happened to him, with the way he's always so concerned about his legacy? Suicide watch.

poopoo333
08-17-2015, 08:11 PM
I think he's been doing it the whole time.

SPX
08-18-2015, 10:54 AM
I think he's been doing it the whole time.

Is that the case for everyone who's ever been popped?

Ludo
08-18-2015, 12:10 PM
I don't think he started taking the juice until he had to heal a leg that turned into a jai alai racket. But of course plenty of people go with the "once a cheater, always a cheater" mentality when it comes to this kind of thing.

Luke
08-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Is that the case for everyone who's ever been popped?

Better question: who do you think has failed a drug test for roids where it was only a one time thing?

I pi think most people assume they've been doing it all along is because a lot of fighters fail a test more than once

SPX
08-18-2015, 05:17 PM
Better question: who do you think has failed a drug test for roids where it was only a one time thing?

I pi think most people assume they've been doing it all along is because a lot of fighters fail a test more than once

Well don't get me wrong, I mean I DO assume that most are repeat offenders.

Here's what is perhaps a more interesting question: Have any of them been legit wrongfully accused?

Luke
08-18-2015, 05:51 PM

Here's what is perhaps a more interesting question: Have any of them been legit wrongfully accused?

Not it that I know of. I mean, some get off for technicalities, but that doesn't mean they didn't do it

CriticalHit
08-18-2015, 06:14 PM
Anderson owning up to it would have went better for his legacy. This wild defense is just transparent and makes people question his past achievements more. If he had claimed(true or not) that he only did it for this fight because his confidence was shaken by the devastating injury and consecutive losses and felt he had to make sure he absolutely wouldn't lose to Diaz then he'd at least sway alot of people to only put the asterisk for this fight.

I wonder how well this has gone over in Brazilian media.

SPX
08-18-2015, 06:20 PM
The funny thing is that Silva came back basically to close things out on a win and end on a triumphant note, when in hindsight it would've been better if he had simply retired. Yes, he'd have had to live with having people's final memories of him being viciously KOd while acting a fool and then breaking his leg in two against that same guy, but that's better than getting popped for PEDs after an entire career of being clean (at least according to all the tests he had taken).

Ludo
08-18-2015, 06:40 PM

According to himself, Sean Sherk. To this day he denies ever taking any banned substance.

poopoo333
08-18-2015, 06:49 PM
I don't think he started taking the juice until he had to heal a leg that turned into a jai alai racket. But of course plenty of people go with the "once a cheater, always a cheater" mentality when it comes to this kind of thing.

Based on my knowledge of that stuff...

The stuff Anderson popped for isn't really to heal up a bone... or heal up anything.

I'm surprised Anderson didn't pop for HGH (like Sonnen did last summer)

SPX
08-18-2015, 07:15 PM
According to himself, Sean Sherk. To this day he denies ever taking any banned substance.

Sherk actually came to mind when I posted that. And I remember that the commission even admitted they fucked up on that one and that's why they cut his suspension in half.

Ludo
08-18-2015, 08:25 PM
The funny thing is that Silva came back basically to close things out on a win and end on a triumphant note, when in hindsight it would've been better if he had simply retired. Yes, he'd have had to live with having people's final memories of him being viciously KOd while acting a fool and then breaking his leg in two against that same guy, but that's better than getting popped for PEDs after an entire career of being clean (at least according to all the tests he had taken).

Honestly, he was probably screwed either way. Once NSAC says you've been busted for PED's, everyone who ever disliked you is going to just run with that, and many of your former supporters will feel like they don't have a leg to stand on, and will abandon you as well.

Ludo
08-18-2015, 08:26 PM
Sherk actually came to mind when I posted that. And I remember that the commission even admitted they fucked up on that one and that's why they cut his suspension in half.

What's really funny about that whole thing is Franca admitted to juicing and got a shorter suspension than Sherk did.

SPX
08-18-2015, 08:32 PM
Honestly, he was probably screwed either way. Once NSAC says you've been busted for PED's, everyone who ever disliked you is going to just run with that, and many of your former supporters will feel like they don't have a leg to stand on, and will abandon you as well.

Well what I was saying is that, in hindsight at least, it would've been better if he had just not taken the Diaz fight. What sucks even more for him as well is that even if he hadn't gone the PED route, I have to think he would've beaten Diaz anyway. That is UNLESS PP is right and Silva's been doing the shit his whole career and is just now getting caught.

Ludo
08-18-2015, 08:37 PM
Well what I was saying is that, in hindsight at least, it would've been better if he had just not taken the Diaz fight. What sucks even more for him as well is that even if he hadn't gone the PED route, I have to think he would've beaten Diaz anyway. That is UNLESS PP is right and Silva's been doing the shit his whole career and is just now getting caught.

I honestly don't think there's ever a time Nick Diaz beats Anderson in either of their careers. Silva is just all wrong for him style wise. Nick knew it, too, that's why he kept taunting instead of trying to engage for most of those rounds.

Éire
08-18-2015, 08:38 PM
What a positive topic for my first post. What sold it for me is that when asked in the NSAC hearing, "Is this the first time you have ever been randomly tested?", he answered, "Yes."...

I think he's probably been using PEDs for his entire career.

Ludo
08-18-2015, 08:45 PM
What a positive topic for my first post. What sold it for me is that when asked in the NSAC hearing, "Is this the first time you have ever been randomly tested?", he answered, "Yes."...

I don't know that that's necessarily an admission that he'd been using all along, though. Nobody was doing random tests prior to that, and the fact that he snapped his leg in half in his last fight probably had more to do with it than anything else. I just don't see the guy using the whole time, and then only popping after a horrific injury at the age of like 38 following the only two losses in nearly a decade.

SPX
08-18-2015, 08:46 PM

Hey man, welcome to the forum! Glad to see you over here.

That's a good point about random testing. I hadn't heard that. I guess the thing for me is that I am just always so reluctant to be too accusatory because if what you're accusing them of is NOT true, then it's just an unfair and unjust accusation. BUT with that said, any rational person is going to have these questions raised in his mind.

Éire
08-18-2015, 09:04 PM
I don't know that that's necessarily an admission that he'd been using all along, though. Nobody was doing random tests prior to that, and the fact that he snapped his leg in half in his last fight probably had more to do with it than anything else. I just don't see the guy using the whole time, and then only popping after a horrific injury at the age of like 38 following the only two losses in nearly a decade.

These are all fair points. However, if this is the first time that you were ever randomly tested and it's also the first time that you've ever been caught cheating... I just feel like that's far too shady and I don't believe it's coincidence.

Also, I have no idea if this is true or not but I've heard from completely unreliable sources that the drugs he was busted for actually decrease bone density.

At the end of the day though, it comes down to opinion on if he has or hasn't been juicing for his entire career. He has been busted once though which is bad enough for me.

Hey man, welcome to the forum! Glad to see you over here.

That's a good point about random testing. I hadn't heard that. I guess the thing for me is that I am just always so reluctant to be too accusatory because if what you're accusing them of is NOT true, then it's just an unfair and unjust accusation. BUT with that said, any rational person is going to have these questions raised in his mind.

Cheers brother, good to be here. I like it. A close, small community.

I'd completely agree with you if the fighter in question was just very sketchy but with no failed tests. However, the guy has failed a test so I think it's completely fair to think he's been using for his entire career.

SPX
08-18-2015, 09:09 PM
I'd completely agree with you if the fighter in question was just very sketchy but with no failed tests. However, the guy has failed a test so I think it's completely fair to think he's been using for his entire career.

Yeah. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's been clean this whole time. In fact, considering he always seemed somewhat superhuman almost makes you think there was SOMETHING there that was helping him along. The thing is, I'm not even a Silva fan, so I have no vested interest in defending him and it would almost be amusing to me if it turned out he's always been a PED user.

I guess ultimately, unless he just comes out and admits it, we'll just never know for sure.

Éire
08-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Yeah. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's been clean this whole time. In fact, considering he always seemed somewhat superhuman almost makes you think there was SOMETHING there that was helping him along. The thing is, I'm not even a Silva fan, so I have no vested interest in defending him and it would almost be amusing to me if it turned out he's always been a PED user.

I guess ultimately, unless he just comes out and admits it, we'll never know for sure.

Yep, we never will. I was never a Silva fan either but I really wish he didn't cheat. I enjoy the idea of him just being completely superhuman without any help. Probably the only reason I'm a fan of Jones. His recent test results were super sketchy too though. ::crying::

CriticalHit
08-18-2015, 09:13 PM
His punishment wasn't severe. He can fight early next year since it's retroactive to the date of the positive fight night test. If he does take another fight then he'll be getting more stringent random testing and will have to submit a clean sample when applying for a fight license for a fight.

It'll be interesting to see if he just retires or tries to end his career on a win streak where he also passes consecutive drug tests.

SPX
08-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Yep, we never will. I was never a Silva fan either but I really wish he didn't cheat. I enjoy the idea of him just being completely superhuman without any help. Probably the only reason I'm a fan of Jones. His recent test results were super sketchy too though. ::crying::

Basically I just always thought Silva was a cocky fuck and it annoyed me. But then again if I could fight like him, maybe I'd be a cocky fuck, too.

I'll tell you who would break me heart if he tested positive: Machida. That's my fucking guy right there. PLEASEEE MACHIDA, BE NATURAL!

Ludo
08-18-2015, 09:16 PM
His punishment wasn't severe. He can fight early next year since it's retroactive to the date of the positive fight night test. If he does take another fight then he'll be getting more stringent random testing and will have to submit a clean sample when applying for a fight license for a fight.

It'll be interesting to see if he just retires or tries to end his career on a win streak where he also passes consecutive drug tests.

I'd say being fined 800K is pretty severe for a first time offender.

Éire
08-18-2015, 09:17 PM

I think he probably takes the Bisping fight and then retires with the win.

Basically I just always thought Silva was a cocky fuck and it annoyed me. But then again if I could fight like him, maybe I'd be a cocky fuck, too.

I'll tell you who would break me heart if he tested positive: Machida. That's my fucking guy right there. PLEASEEE MACHIDA, BE NATURAL!

Haha, I think you're good there, man. Machida is for sure one of the least sketchy fighters on the roster.

SPX
08-18-2015, 09:18 PM

I think the severe part is a $380,000 fine. I mean, Jesus. That's not pocket change.

Éire
08-18-2015, 09:20 PM
I'd say being fined 800K is pretty severe for a first time offender.

AFAIK, he was only fined 380K although that is still pretty steep. His 200K win bonus and 30% of his 600K show money. He also made an estimated 6 million on PPV points though.

Ludo
08-18-2015, 09:22 PM
AFAIK, he was only fined 380K although that is still pretty steep. His 200K win bonus and 30% of his 600K show money. He also made an estimated 6 million on PPV points though.

You're right. I don't know why I remembered 800,000. Even still, I don't think we've ever seen an mma fighter fined that much for one offense.

Éire
08-18-2015, 09:30 PM
You're right. I don't know why I remembered 800,000. Even still, I don't think we've ever seen an mma fighter fined that much for one offense.

This is true. I believe recently, the commission has been taking their entire win bonus and around 30% of their show money. For example, Hector Lombard was banned for a year and fined 53K + 17.5K (33% of his 53K win bonus). It does seem like a little much though, I agree.

SPX
08-18-2015, 09:36 PM
I also think it seems harsh but then again maybe this is what needs to happen to get people to quit doing that shit.

CriticalHit
08-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Yeah the fine was hefty on its own but relative to his purse it was less than 10%.

SPX
08-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Yeah the fine was hefty on its own but relative to his purse it was less than 10%.

What do you mean? What was his purse?

Éire
08-18-2015, 10:12 PM
What do you mean? What was his purse?

His purse was 800K + around 6 million from PPV points.

SPX
08-18-2015, 10:19 PM
His purse was 800K + around 6 million from PPV points.

I hear quotes like this all the time but how does anyone know? I've never seen PPV points actually documented. So basically what I'm saying is: Source?

Éire
08-18-2015, 10:25 PM
I hear quotes like this all the time but how does anyone know? I've never seen PPV points actually documented. So basically what I'm saying is: Source?

It turns out it was a false report. Given that he was on PPV points though and the PPV sold about 750K, he made a lot more than his disclosed pay.

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/2/9/8004213/ufc-denies-withholding-anderson-silva-payout-following-failed-drug-test-mma

CriticalHit
08-18-2015, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I was going off of an estimation from his reported pay and the insight we've gotten over the years on PPV point tiers.

With the buys that card got and his reported UFC pay he should have cleared 4 million at the least.

Luke
08-18-2015, 10:49 PM
I think the severe part is a $380,000 fine. I mean, Jesus. That's not pocket change.

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr was fined $900K and his failed drug test was for pot

Luke
08-18-2015, 10:51 PM
I think he probably takes the Bisping fight and then retires with the win.

Haha, I think you're good there, man. Machida is for sure one of the least sketchy fighters on the roster.

I told someone the other day that I think they'll do Silva-Sonnen 3 at UFC 200, or another card. Can you imagine the drug testing that would happen for that fight?

Éire
08-18-2015, 10:51 PM
I told someone the other day that I think they'll do Silva-Sonnen 3 at UFC 200, or another card. Can you imagine the drug testing that would happen for that fight?

Oh, I forgot about that one. I think that'd be great. I think Sonnen would finally take it, lol.

Both get busted. :P

SPX
08-18-2015, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I was going off of an estimation from his reported pay and the insight we've gotten over the years on PPV point tiers.

With the buys that card got and his reported UFC pay he should have cleared 4 million at the least.

I'll be honest, I never have understood the PPV points thing. I mean, I get that they get a percentage of the PPV's sold, but I've never seen a source that tells us exactly how much.

Luke
08-18-2015, 11:06 PM
I'll be honest, I never have understood the PPV points thing. I mean, I get that they get a percentage of the PPV's sold, but I've never seen a source that tells us exactly how much.

PPV points are you get X amount of dollars for every PPV buy over a certain amount.

Say you get $3 for every PPV buy over 300k buys. If Silva-Diaz did 800K buys, Silva would get another $1.5 million on top of his base salary.

zY|
08-19-2015, 12:39 PM
I don't think it affects his legacy much. I also believe it was a one time thing, probably used as anxiety about healing his leg up. It was pretty obvious he was past his prime in the 2nd Weidman fight, and further solidified in the Diaz fight.

That said, that complete and utter sham of his defense at the hearing was just mind-boggling.

SPX
08-19-2015, 12:49 PM
It was pretty obvious he was past his prime in the 2nd Weidman fight, and further solidified in the Diaz fight.

Do you think it would've been obvious if he had been fighting anyone other than Weidman?

zY|
08-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Maybe, maybe not. I'm referring mostly to him getting knocked down from inside the Thai clinch from a shot that didn't look too hard. At that point I knew this wasn't going to end well.