PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we might finally get JDS vs Reem

SPX
08-17-2015, 04:02 PM
Looks like Reem finally wants the fight with JDS. I'm not sure how wise that is, but I'd like to see it finally go down. I still think JDS destroys him but JDS hasn't fought in almost a year and Reem's been looking pretty good lately so who knows.

http://s.glbimg.com/es/ge/f/original/blog/be3a6e9a-358e-49fc-a581-0d62010d5555_Overeem_DosSantos_rep.jpg

Luke
08-17-2015, 06:35 PM
About damn time!!!

I saw a rumor that they were going to put this fight on the Aldo-McGregor card.

JDS would have killed Reem when the fight was first scheduled, but now its a much closer fight imo. I still say JDS is like -225

SPX
08-17-2015, 06:38 PM
JDS would have killed Reem when the fight was first scheduled, but now its a much closer fight imo. I still say JDS is like -225

I dunno. We've only seen JDS once since his second ass kicking at the hands of Cain. Everyone acts like he's some washed up fighter now but I'm not convinced of that at all.

I would probably go on and still take JDS at -225. I'm not sure Reem has much more than a puncher's chance here, but maybe I'm underestimating him.

Luke
08-17-2015, 06:49 PM
I dunno. We've only seen JDS once since his second ass kicking at the hands of Cain. Everyone acts like he's some washed up fighter now but I'm not convinced of that at all.

I would probably go on and still take JDS at -225. I'm not sure Reem has much more than a puncher's chance here, but maybe I'm underestimating him.

Well, he got the hell beat out of him by Cain then got the hell beat out of him by Stipe. That much damage ruins careers, sometimes. Look at Gray Maynard. Was never the same after the two Edgar wars. Not saying Junior is the same, just saying its possible

At -225 I'd probably just pass. Reem is a bum

poopoo333
08-17-2015, 10:38 PM
JDS is not the same at all. He has physically declined a lot and like Luke said...he has taken 75 minutes of damage in his last 3 fights.

Luke
08-17-2015, 11:05 PM
I'm still not sure why Reem is so exicted for this fight. Did he not forget his chin could get knocked out in a pillow fight?

SPX
08-18-2015, 10:48 AM
I'm still not sure why Reem is so exicted for this fight. Did he not forget his chin could get knocked out in a pillow fight?

Maybe his recent success has emboldened him and he feels like Cain has given him a blueprint to beat JDS: Keep taking him down and make it a battle on the ground and in the clinch, instead of fighting from range. But yeah, he's delusional. JDS gonna knock him the fuck out.

Ludo
08-18-2015, 12:32 PM

I'm not sure I would call Overeem a fighter with a "bad" chin. Aside from Arona, I don't see a single fighter who KO/TKO'd Reem who wasn't a straight killer known for having huge power.

SPX
08-18-2015, 01:03 PM
I don't know that I think of Rothwell as this monster hitter.

Luke
08-18-2015, 01:07 PM
I just consider all HW's bigger hitter's

Luke
08-18-2015, 01:08 PM
Maybe his recent success has emboldened him and he feels like Cain has given him a blueprint to beat JDS: Keep taking him down and make it a battle on the ground and in the clinch, instead of fighting from range. But yeah, he's delusional. JDS gonna knock him the fuck out.

Huh? You realize Reem is a former kickboxer, not wreslter....right?

Ludo
08-18-2015, 01:09 PM
I don't know that I think of Rothwell as this monster hitter.

20 KO/TKOs in 35 wins, and 44 fights total. Dude is rocking a near 50% knockout rate overall.

Luke
08-18-2015, 01:11 PM
20 KO/TKOs in 35 wins, and 44 fights total. Dude is rocking a near 50% knockout rate overall.

You know he's not good with numbers.

Ludo
08-18-2015, 01:12 PM

Reem has some decent takedowns, though. And his top control is pretty dominant.

SPX
08-18-2015, 01:16 PM

Yeah, and I've also seen the way he fights in MMA contests. Go back and watch him against Mir and the first couple of rounds against Bigfoot.

Luke
08-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Reem has some decent takedowns, though. And his top control is pretty dominant.

He does, I agree, but I don't think decent TD's will get JDS down.

Yeah, and I've also seen the way he fights in MMA contests. Go back and watch him against Mir and the first couple of rounds against Bigfoot.

If JDS was easy to wreslte, Stipe would have done it . Even Cain couldn't keep him down until he beat him to a pulp.And I only remember 1 TD vs Bigfoot....the same Bigfoot Cain was able to TD at will.

I'm just saying Reem vs Cain wreslting is a huge difference...and it took Cain's level to get him down

SPX
08-18-2015, 01:31 PM
If JDS was easy to wreslte, Stipe would have done it .

I didn't say it was easy. I also said Reem is delusional.

Your question was what is he thinking.

Luke
08-18-2015, 01:37 PM
I didn't say it was easy. I also said Reem is delusional.

Your question was what is he thinking.

I was just looking at JDS fights and he's been taken down more than I thought. Not a lot, but more than I remember, so maybe that is Reem's plan.

poopoo333
08-18-2015, 07:03 PM
Didn't Stipe take JDS a couple times?

I don't think Stipe could have done that in 2010-2013.

I really think JDS is going backwards. Too much damage. And now too much drug testing.

Luke
08-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Didn't Stipe take JDS a couple times?

I don't think Stipe could have done that in 2010-2013.

I really think JDS is going backwards. Too much damage. And now too much drug testing.

I think he got him down once....possibly twice, but didn't JDS pop back up

But yeah, JDS is going downhill. His best chance to get the title was/is taking on Werdum. He can't beat Cain and I don't even think he'd beat Stipe again

Éire
08-18-2015, 09:25 PM
JDS has been through some wars but lets not pretend that Reem hasn't been knocked out 9 times in his very long career. It could of course be argued that 75 minutes of getting the shit kicked out of you if worse than getting your brain switched off and being protected from further punishment 9 times.

I think this fight is a lock.

JDS KO RD. 1

Luke
08-18-2015, 09:35 PM
^^^ I think after 3 minutes, I could KO Reem with a pillow to be honest

SPX
08-18-2015, 09:42 PM
I think this fight is a lock.

JDS KO RD. 1

I don't know that I'd quite say lock, but yes, I am quite confident that JDS takes it.

Éire
08-18-2015, 09:49 PM
I don't know that I'd quite say lock, but yes, I am quite confident that JDS takes it.

Fair enough. I really don't see any way that Overeem beats him.

SPX
08-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Fair enough. I really don't see any way that Overeem beats him.

The only way I can think of is the same way Werdum beat Cain:

JDS shows up and he just doesn't act like JDS.

CriticalHit
08-18-2015, 10:00 PM
JDS' lack of improvement in the clinch over his career is still stunning to me and is a bad vulnerability to have against Reem(esp. with Reem being more gameplan oriented with Jackson's). Reem's defense is still pretty iffy though and wouldn't be able to survive a JDS overhand. There's also JDS' poor cage awareness that has him circling into it and sometimes cutting his own self off but is more of a problem against wrestlers and pressure strikers.

Reem would have to have the most consistent performance defense-wise of his MMA career but he has a decent shot at a dec. or late guillotine(he has an excellent one). He's the rightful big underdog though. Win or lose I have to say it's been a bit sad to see Junior's game stagnate and taking so much damage in this stage of his career.

Éire
08-18-2015, 10:05 PM
JDS' lack of improvement in the clinch over his career is still stunning to me and is a bad vulnerability to have against Reem(esp. with Reem being more gameplan oriented with Jackson's). Reem's defense is still pretty iffy though and wouldn't be able to survive a JDS overhand. There's also JDS' poor cage awareness that has him circling into it and sometimes cutting his own self off but is more of a problem against wrestlers and pressure strikers.

Reem would have to have the most consistent performance defense-wise of his MMA career but he has a decent shot at a dec. or late guillotine(he has an excellent one). He's the rightful big underdog though. Win or lose I have to say it's been a bit sad to see Junior's game stagnate and taking so much damage in this stage of his career.

I agree with you for the most part.

If JDS comes in and starches Reem and just looks fantastic, do you put it down to Reem being a bum or do you think that Stipe is a lot better than people give him credit for? Cause although it seems that way, I'm not sure I'm ready to say that JDS has stagnated that much. I think he's still right behind Cain and Werdum. I just think Stipe has improved immensely.

Luke
08-18-2015, 10:10 PM

If JDS comes in and starches Reem and just looks fantastic, do you put it down to Reem being a bum or do you think that Stipe is a lot better than people give him credit for? Cause although it seems that way, I'm not sure I'm ready to say that JDS has stagnated that much. I think he's still right behind Cain and Werdum. I just think Stipe has improved immensely.

Stipe is a lot better than people give him credit for. I'd pick him to beat JDS in a rematch.

Its gonna be hard for Reem to go 3 complete rounds without getting caught. He was even hurt by Roy in his last fight, and that was the smartest I've ever seen him fight. I just don't think he has the gas tank to play perfect defense for 3 rds.

CriticalHit
08-18-2015, 10:21 PM

I meant stagnate in the sense that he hasn't improved his weaker areas. He's still an elite HW no doubt and gives most of the top 10 hell. That lack of growth in large part opened the way for Stipe to have that much success pressuring and keeping him on the cage despite dropping the dec. imo. Stipe has improved as well.

JDS isn't old for HW and if it was just that then it wouldn't be too bad but when combined with the damage he's sustained in those 3 fights it's the kind of thing that could keep him away from ever regaining the belt. Not that it's Reem likely batters him. If anything it'll be brutal body knees.

Ludo
08-18-2015, 10:24 PM
The only way I can think of is the same way Werdum beat Cain:

JDS shows up and he just doesn't act like JDS.

Cain did show up and act like Cain, though. Werdum just had the tools to neutralize all three of Cains gameplans. After that he just didn't know what else to do. Getting the shit beat out of you is way more tiring than dominating.

SPX
08-20-2015, 08:39 PM
Cain did show up and act like Cain, though. Werdum just had the tools to neutralize all three of Cains gameplans. After that he just didn't know what else to do. Getting the shit beat out of you is way more tiring than dominating.

I thought Cain looked like himself during the first round, which he actually won. But then he gassed. I really don't think you can say the Cain we saw in Mexico is the same Cain that usually goes five rounds with ease.

edman5555
08-20-2015, 10:03 PM
Stipe is a lot better than people give him credit for. I'd pick him to beat JDS in a rematch.

Its gonna be hard for Reem to go 3 complete rounds without getting caught. He was even hurt by Roy in his last fight, and that was the smartest I've ever seen him fight. I just don't think he has the gas tank to play perfect defense for 3 rds.

Yeah Reem is basically f'd by the toxic equation of lack of cardio and lack of chin. It's a shame too because he is one the more skilled heavyweights.

Luke
08-20-2015, 11:04 PM
Yeah Reem is basically f'd by the toxic equation of lack of cardio and lack of chin. It's a shame too because he is one the more skilled heavyweights.

If he had a JDS chin, he'd be champ

Ludo
08-21-2015, 02:08 AM
I thought Cain looked like himself during the first round, which he actually won. But then he gassed. I really don't think you can say the Cain we saw in Mexico is the same Cain that usually goes five rounds with ease.

We've never seen Cain's entire game shut down like that before in one round before, either, though. Like I said before getting your ass kicked is more tiring than dominating. He tried to do the JDS, but Werdum counters with the thai clinch, and knees to the body for his troubles. He tries taking Werdum down, and even ends up in side control right off the bat, but very quickly realizes he has to abandon the ground because he can't advance, or keep Werdum from regaining guard. He then tries his last ditch effort, kickboxing with a longer, rangier, more diverse striker, who proceeds to light his ass up. Cain may have won the first round, but if ever there was a pyrrhic victory, that was it.

Ludo
08-21-2015, 02:09 AM

How does he have a lack of chin? Of the guys who have KO/TKO'd Overeem in mma, only one of them isn't known as a heavy hitter/straight killer, an that's Arona, who also had good power when he wasn't trying to dive for legs and drag people to the mat so he could have his way with them and never call them again.

Mr. IWS
08-21-2015, 08:36 AM
I (do not) Love Reem here

SPX
08-21-2015, 12:52 PM
. . . and that's Arona, who also had good power when he wasn't trying to dive for legs and drag people to the mat so he could have his way with them and never call them again.

. . . literally fuck them in the ass right in the middle of the cage.

edman5555
08-21-2015, 01:23 PM
How does he have a lack of chin? Of the guys who have KO/TKO'd Overeem in mma, only one of them isn't known as a heavy hitter/straight killer, an that's Arona, who also had good power when he wasn't trying to dive for legs and drag people to the mat so he could have his way with them and never call them again.

Fair enough. He's still been tko'd 10 times in MMA and I'm sure that the eleventh tko is on its' way.

Ludo
08-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Fair enough. He's still been tko'd 10 times in MMA and I'm sure that the eleventh tko is on its' way.

Of course it is, but for as long as he's been fighting(since 1997) and the guys he's fought, if he had a "bad" chin he'd have more than that. He had no trouble surviving when he fought Vitor(twice), Igor, Kharitonov(the first time), Hunt, Rogers, Duffee, or Nelson. Nelson did hurt him, yes, but he ate several right hands off Roy and had no trouble with them before the last one in the third round wobbled him.

He basically has a fight against another power hitter where he won for every power hitter he lost to.

SPX
08-21-2015, 03:49 PM
The thing is, you have other guys like JDS, Hunt and Nelson himself who can just take shot after shot and it makes guys with chins like Overeem and Mir look pretty mediocre by comparison.

zY|
08-21-2015, 04:39 PM
The thing about Overeem is that once he's hurt, it almost always ends with him being sprawled out on the canvas. He is one of the worst at recovering from a hard shot. I think the Roy fight is the only time I've seen him get wobbled and not be brutally knocked out seconds later.

Luke
08-21-2015, 04:43 PM
The thing about Overeem is that once he's hurt, it almost always ends with him being sprawled out on the canvas. He is one of the worst at recovering from a hard shot. I think the Roy fight is the only time I've seen him get wobbled and not be brutally knocked out seconds later.

I really don't think he was hurt that bad vs Roy. Joe Rogan sold it pretty good, though....HE HURT HIM!!!!.....HE"S IN TROUBLE

Ludo
08-21-2015, 05:56 PM
The thing is, you have other guys like JDS, Hunt and Nelson himself who can just take shot after shot and it makes guys with chins like Overeem and Mir look pretty mediocre by comparison.

Yes but Hunt/Nelson are more the exception than the rule. Through history we've only seen 4 or 5 heavyweights who were almost impossible to hurt badly with one shot. Roy Nelson, Mark Hunt, Minotauro Nogueira, Cabbage Correira, and maybe Igor Vovchanchyn.

Overeem does have abysmal reactions to being hurt, and his defense isn't great for a guy as good at striking as he is, that much is a given. I just don't feel it's a "chin" issue when the guy is fighting in a division where literally everyone has enough power to change the course of a fight in one punch/kick, no matter how far down the rankings they are.

When you look at the list of guys who KO/TKO'd Overeem, none of them are really surprising other than Arona. The fact that they KO/TKO'd Overeem isn't surprising because of Overeem, it's not surprising because they made careers out of doing that same thing to a majority of their opponents.