PDA

View Full Version : Frank Mir's not happy "on a social level" with fighting Arlovkski

SPX
08-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Some interesting thoughts from Mir here. . .

"I have a lot of respect for Andrei. He's a guy that if my kids were to tell me right now they were fans of Andrei, I would completely cultivate that," Mir said. "Here's a guy who was at the top. He went from the pinnacle of our sport to getting cut, signing with other organizations, losing more and he's getting put out cold. Everyone is saying he's done, his chin is gone, he needs to retire and this guy doesn't listen to anybody. He just said, 'Nope, I'm going to keep moving forward and figure out a way.' He's better now."

and

"In one sense, I'm not happy about it on a social level. I think we both have a lot to offer the sport and I don't want to see either one of us derailed right now. I would have been much happier with this situation if we could have skipped each other at this point. I could have fought someone else in the top three and he could have fought Werdum for the title and then we could have faced each other in a title fight instead if he would have won," Mir said.
"That would have been the ideal situation for me. To say here's two guys that everyone counted out and said their careers are over. They figured out ways to move forward and persevere and now they're back."

http://m.reviewjournal.com/sports/mma-ufc/reluctant-mir-jumps-back-training

Ludo
08-20-2015, 02:50 PM
So basically he wants to re-invent the wheel, and thinks he shouldn't have to beat a contender to get into the mix. Sounds like he's still a self entitled douchebag.

Éire
08-20-2015, 03:16 PM
So basically he wants to re-invent the wheel, and thinks he shouldn't have to beat a contender to get into the mix. Sounds like he's still a self entitled douchebag.

This lol. Was never a big fan of Frank Murr.

SPX
08-20-2015, 03:24 PM
To be fair, I can see where he's coming from. I think AA has arguably done enough to earn a title shot so why force one of these guys to knock the other off?

Luke
08-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Mir should be happy they put AA in front of him. No one else in the top 5 he'd stand a chance against

edman5555
08-20-2015, 03:52 PM
I think AA tko's him personally. Mir should have a lot of difficulty taking him down and AA is a much better striker IMO.

Also, hell guys. I'm back, thanks for the email.

SPX
08-20-2015, 03:53 PM
Fucking EDMAN in the house! SHIT!

Sup, bro?

edman5555
08-20-2015, 03:54 PM
Not much, I just checked my email and saw Luke's message. How is everyone?

CriticalHit
08-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Well, I'm not interested in Mir in contender fights and I also think Werdum/Cain II is a farce. Arlovski should be getting the title shot.

Ludo
08-20-2015, 04:31 PM
To be fair, I can see where he's coming from. I think AA has arguably done enough to earn a title shot so why force one of these guys to knock the other off?

He should be glad they're even giving him a chance to get into the title mix. He's not done much other than knock out Bigfoot(who was already dropping in the rankings after popping for elevated levels, and then getting starched by Arlovski in his last two fights). Arlovski is stylistically the only fighter in the top 5 who he has more than a "Frank Mir = human russian roulette" chance of beating, really. Don't get me wrong, I've love to see Mir fight Werdum right now, that's a fight we never got to see, but Mir isn't even the discussion for title contention until he beats someone else who is, in theory, in line. Then again Condit is getting a title shot after beating Thiago Alves, so...

Éire
08-20-2015, 04:35 PM
He should be glad they're even giving him a chance to get into the title mix. He's not done much other than knock out Bigfoot(who was already dropping in the rankings after popping for elevated levels, and then getting starched by Arlovski in his last two fights). Arlovski is stylistically the only fighter in the top 5 who he has more than a "Frank Mir = human russian roulette" chance of beating, really. Don't get me wrong, I've love to see Mir fight Werdum right now, that's a fight we never got to see, but Mir isn't even the discussion for title contention until he beats someone else who is, in theory, in line. Then again Condit is getting a title shot after beating Thiago Alves, so...

I agree. I know the HW division is shallow but dude just beat Todd Duffee after getting rocked. He's talking as if they're both exciting up and coming prospects. This fight makes sense to me. I think if they matched Stipe against Andrei, then that'd be knocking off a contender.

SPX
08-20-2015, 04:46 PM
Well, I'm not interested in Mir in contender fights and I also think Werdum/Cain II is a farce. Arlovski should be getting the title shot.

Mir will never be champ again but he has put a few wins together. So you have to give him his due.

And I agree about Werdum/Cain II. Can we not just chill with the instant rematches?

Ludo
08-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Mir will never be champ again but he has put a few wins together. So you have to give him his due.

And I agree about Werdum/Cain II. Can we not just chill with the instant rematches?

I'm not sure why Cain is getting the rematch. Seeing as he only defended the belt twice, against the same two people he'd already fought, in the same order he'd fought them in the first time around. But I don't think he has anything for Werdum anyway, this is just a formality to quell the butthurt Cain fans about him getting shut down in every aspect of his game with a quickness.

I honestly wanted Arlovski to get the shot, seeing as he was the only one who deserved one at the time.

What's really funny is that, to this very day, Tim Sylvia still holds the UFC record for most Heavyweight Title defenses of all time.

SPX
08-20-2015, 05:28 PM
I really don't want to see Cain as champ again so I hope you're right about this just being a formality. A Cain-as-champ heavyweight division is a boring heavyweight division. Give me just about anyone else. Werdum, JDS, AA, Overeem . . . hell, give me Rothwell. Just not Cain. AA/Werdum 2 or JDS/Werdum 2 are both more interesting matchups.

And that's hilarious about Timmy.

Ludo
08-20-2015, 05:35 PM
I really don't want to see Cain as champ again so I hope you're right about this just being a formality. A Cain-as-champ heavyweight division is a boring heavyweight division. Give me just about anyone else. Werdum, JDS, AA, Overeem . . . hell, give me Rothwell. Just not Cain. AA/Werdum 2 or JDS/Werdum 2 are both more interesting matchups.

And that's hilarious about Timmy.

Agreed. Cain as champ is a division stalling interest killer the likes of which haven't been seen since GSP tore his ACL. I honestly would have done it like this:

Arlovski challenges Werdum for the title
Cain fights Stipe, winner gets next title shot
JDS fights Rothwell to keep things interesting
Mir fights someone like Browne or Mitrione to keep him in the top 7-9 ranking until someone in the above becomes free to fight.

Luke
08-20-2015, 05:37 PM
Not much, I just checked my email and saw Luke's message. How is everyone?

Wohoo!!! At least I know one person read it

Ludo
08-20-2015, 05:40 PM
Wohoo!!! At least I know one person read it

I read it, too, but I had already been back here a couple hours by then. Does that count?

Luke
08-20-2015, 05:41 PM

Id give Mir a chance against Werdum. Not saying he'd win, but think he stands a better chance than AA

Luke
08-20-2015, 05:42 PM
I read it, too, but I had already been back here a couple hours by then. Does that count?

Sure::thumbup::

I get a half point

Ludo
08-20-2015, 05:43 PM
Sure::thumbup::

I get a half point

Call it a free throw::handshake::

Luke
08-20-2015, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure why Cain is getting the rematch. Seeing as he only defended the belt twice, against the same two people he'd already fought, in the same order he'd fought them in the first time around. But I don't think he has anything for Werdum anyway, this is just a formality to quell the butthurt Cain fans about him getting shut down in every aspect of his game with a quickness.

I honestly wanted Arlovski to get the shot, seeing as he was the only one who deserved one at the time.

What's really funny is that, to this very day, Tim Sylvia still holds the UFC record for most Heavyweight Title defenses of all time.

My only guesses to why Cain is getting the rematch:

1. He told Dana he was hurt going in
2. Dana really wants to become big in Mexico and think Cain is the key

BetMMA
08-20-2015, 08:27 PM
Mir is one of the worst gameplanners I've ever scouted so I wouldn't be surprised if he just stands there and tries to box with Arlovski. If he does, hopefully he'll get what he deserves for not fighting to his strengths.

SPX
08-20-2015, 08:29 PM
I wonder if Mir could even get Arlovski down? His takedowns aren't great, but then again Schaub got AA down so it's very possible.

edman5555
08-20-2015, 10:12 PM
I wonder if Mir could even get Arlovski down? His takedowns aren't great, but then again Schaub got AA down so it's very possible.

Schaub times his takedowns well.

Luke
08-20-2015, 10:29 PM

When is the last time Mir took someone down?

SPX
08-20-2015, 10:29 PM
I dunno. I remember took Roy Nelson down several times.

Éire
08-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Schaub times his takedowns well.

This. Schaub deserves all the shit he gets about his chin and his stand up but his takedowns aren't bad.

Luke
08-20-2015, 10:50 PM

Was just asking.

BetMMA
08-21-2015, 12:19 PM

This is basically the only time he's ever been on top on the ground in his entire UFC career. For me that should be he's go to gameplan but he pretty much never goes for takedowns.

SPX
08-23-2015, 01:42 PM
This is basically the only time he's ever been on top on the ground in his entire UFC career. For me that should be he's go to gameplan but he pretty much never goes for takedowns.

I was gonna say he took Tank Abbott down (lol) but I guess even there Tank did most of the work for him. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgeTkv37LiU

poopoo333
08-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Mir/AA will be on the feet.

Mir will KTFO AA in round 1.

NOW THAT'S FRANK MIR.