PDA

View Full Version : Thursday 7/20/23 Free Plays / Trends / Betting Info / Etc

Can'tPickAWinner
07-17-2023, 09:16 PM
Members post your personal plays in the various sports forums @ IWS and our betting trackers!

NFL
http://www.investwithsports.com/newf...3-NFL-Football (http://www.investwithsports.com/newforum/forumdisplay.php?53-NFL-Football)

College Football
http://www.investwithsports.com/newf...-NCAA-Football (http://www.investwithsports.com/newforum/forumdisplay.php?54-NCAA-Football)

Baseball
http://www.investwithsports.com/newf...57-ML-Baseball (http://www.investwithsports.com/newforum/forumdisplay.php?57-ML-Baseball)

College Basketball
http://www.investwithsports.com/newf...CAA-Basketball (http://www.investwithsports.com/newforum/forumdisplay.php?55-NCAA-Basketball)

NBA
http://www.investwithsports.com/newf...NBA-Basketball (http://www.investwithsports.com/newforum/forumdisplay.php?56-NBA-Basketball)

NHL
http://www.investwithsports.com/newf...?58-NHL-Hockey (http://www.investwithsports.com/newforum/forumdisplay.php?58-NHL-Hockey)

Can'tPickAWinner
07-20-2023, 06:11 AM
Jeff Siegel's What You Need to Know - Saratoga - 7/20/23 July 20, 2023
“What You Need to Know” - Saratoga
by Jeff Siegel, 1stbet.com Handicapper & Analyst

Specifically designed for the rolling exotic player, Jeff Siegel’s Daily Santa Anita Handicapping Analysis, Wagering Strategies, and Workout Commentary identify those horses that should be included in daily doubles, pick-3s, pick-4s, pick-5s, and the pick-6.
For additional commentary, follow us on twitter @jsiegelracing.
Grade Descriptions:
Grade A=Highest degree of confidence
Grade B=Solid Play.
Grade C=Least preferred or pass
Grade X=probable winner but likely at odds too short to play

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
RACE 1: Post: 1:10 ET Grade: B-
Main ticket: (in order of preference): 6-Little Prankster; 2-Feathering
Backups/Savers/Underneath: 4-Sister Maha

Forecast: Little Prankster has done nothing but burn money in her first three career starts, finishing second in each outing as the favorite, the last two at odds-on. She adds blinkers today, so maybe that will help. Turning back to a sprint off a nine-furlong affair at Ellis Park in late June, the daughter of Practical Joke certainly is plenty fit, and based on numbers she should be able to graduate today, untrustworthy as she may be, unless one of the first timers is a hot shot. Feathering has put together a decent work tab for Bill Mott (just fair stats with debut runners) and might be able to run a bit, so we’ll toss her for protection.

RACE 2: Post: 1:44 ET Grade: B-
Main ticket: (in order of preference): 1-Walstib; 7-Antonio of Venice
Backups/Savers/Underneath: none.

Forecast: Restricted (must have sold or been bought back for $50,000 at auction) maiden 2-year-olds sprint five and one-half furlongs in this main track dash. Walstib is a first timer from the Ken McPeek barn with a decent series of drills to have him fit and ready in a race containing no apparent world beaters. A July 13 gate drill in :48 1/5 was nice - View Workout Video (https://www.xbtv.com/video/elko-county/elko-county-bay-and-walstib-worked-4-furlongs-at-saratoga-on-july-13th-2023/) -
while much the best of a team) and should have him cranked up and ready. Antonio of Vernice was scratched last weekend for this easier spot and is listed as the 8/5 morning line favorite following a couple of in-the-money runs at Belmont Park that earned decent speed figures. A good colt likely will be beat him but with blinkers being added he’ll have every right to produce a forward move.

RACE 3: Post: 2:20 ET Grade: C+
Main ticket (in order of preference): 8-Destin’s Mission; 3-Heymackit’sjack
Backups/savers/Underneath: 7-Sugar Gray Leonard

Forecast: Here’s a challenging grass sprint for starter allowance ($50,000) older horses that requires a spread in rolling exotic play. Lightly raced and improving Destin’s Mission had a couple of sharp recent runs at Monmouth Park and should be quite competitive on this circuit. His best chance is to pop the gate from his outside draw and outrun the other speed types. Heymackit’sjack has plenty of zip, too, and just won a restricted (nw-2) 30,000 seller at Belmont Park in gate-to-wire style but was a voided claim out of the race. He’s protected today by trainer John Kimmel, so we’ll assume he’s okay.

RACE 4: Post: 2:52 ET Grade: X
Main ticket (in order of preference): 3-Pretty Xtreme
Backups/Savers/Underneath: 2-With This Vow

Forecast: Pretty Xtreme, away for more than three months, shows up in a $32,000 seller, the first time she’s reappeared for a tag after beating a $40,000 field the day Brad Cox took her at Churchill Downs last September. This is a realistic spot for the veteran mare, who has always been fairly dependable (first or second in 14 of 30 career starts) when she’s in good form. Her recent work tab at Ellis Park is healthy and should have her ready to fire a big shot off the bench. However, at even money on the morning line, she will not be offering any wagering value.

RACE 5: Post: 3:26 ET Grade: C+
Main ticket (in order of preference): 9-Rock Star Boy; 3-Crazy Mason; 1-Crown the Saint
Backups/Savers/Underneath: 5-Cowboy Luke; 7-Run Jalen Run

Forecast: Rock Star Boy ran reasonably well in his debut at Belmont Park when second without mishap in a five-runner affair for maiden juveniles last month. He should enjoy clear sailing from his outside draw and appears the best of a modest lot in this split of the second race. Crazy Mason finished a willing second in a slow heat on debut at Monmouth Park in mid-June. He's another that should step forward a bit with that race under his belt, and with blinkers being added he might display a bit more early zip. Crown the Saint attracts Irad Ortiz, Jr. for his debut, and on that angle alone you have to toss him in somewhere. There are several other first timers in the field with win-early breeding that could outrun their works, so tread lightly.

RACE 6: Post: 4:00 ET Grade: B+
Main ticket (in order of preference): 4-Lamorna
Backups/Savers/Underneath: 3-Kodiac Wintergreen; 9-Gemofaperformance; 10-Ever So Sweet

Forecast: There are several possibilities in this stronger-than-par maiden juvenile turf sprint, including Lamorna, who was hard held and under wraps while proving much best in a half mile team breeze five days ago, earning a clocking of :48 1/5 that could have been much faster if she had permitted to show her stuff - View Workout Video (https://www.xbtv.com/video/munnings/lamorna-outside-and-braca-worked-4-furlongs-at-santa-anita-park-on-july-15th-2023/). The daughter of Munnings was purchased for $320,000 as a yearling at Keeneland and is out of the New York-bred stakes winning race mare Freudie Anne, so a big effort first time out should be expected. Listed at 8-1 on the morning line, the Bill Mott-trained filly offers excellent value in the win pool. The ones listed above as backups/savers have good credentials as well and should be included somewhere on your ticket.

RACE 7: Post: 4:34 ET Grade: X
Main ticket (in order of preference): 1-Spirit of St Louis
Backups/Savers/Underneath: 3-Agent Creed

Forecast: Spirit of St Louis crushed a non-winners of two allowance state-bred field last month at Belmont Park in eye-opening fashion, rallying against creepy crawler fractions with a superior turn of foot to win going away like a gelding with a huge future. Successful in two of his first three starts, the son of Medaglia d’Oro moves up a rung on the allowance ladder and should be tough again, especially if he can get any help up front. However, at even money on the morning line, there isn’t a whole lot we can do with him other than to use him as a no value rolling exotic single.

RACE 8: Post: 5:10 ET Grade: B-
Main ticket (in order of preference): 1-Mosienko; 3-Knowing Glance; 2-Know It All Aubrey
Backups/Savers/Underneath: none.

Forecast: The three main contenders in this seven furlong starter allowance ($20,000) for fillies and mares are drawn inside. Mosienko has seen considerably stronger foes in her last pair and simply was in too deep, but this realistic class drop (while still being protected) looks like a winning maneuver. First or second in four of seven starts over the Saratoga main track, the veteran daughter of Hat Trick should inherit a stalking trip from her inside draw and then have dead aim from the quarter pole home. Knowing Glance is a tad light in the speed figure department but was visually pleasing in a recent Monmouth Park starter allowance score and looks to have the perfect second flight style for this seven furlong trip. She’ll need to step forward a bit but could easily have it in her. Know It All Aubrey is the quickest in the field and will take them as far as she can.

RACE 9: Post: 5:44 ET Grade: B+
Main ticket (in order of preference): 1-Ari Gold
Backups/Savers/Underneath: 7-Exact Estimate; 10-Chasing the Crown

Forecast: Ari Gold won the Pulpit Stakes two turning on grass last December in convincing fashion on the front end at Gulfstream Park but then disappeared. The Todd Pletcher-trained colt returns in this second level allowance middle distance grass event facing older rivals, but if he comes back as well as he left he can pick right up where he left off at 4-1 on the morning line. Likely to be the controlling speed from his good inside draw, the son of Medaglia d’Oro colt retains “win rider” Luis Saez in his first outing with Lasix and shows a recent work tab that should have him fit enough.

RACE 10: Post: 6:18 ET Grade: X
Main ticket: (in order of preference): 7-Ramblin’ Wreck
Backups/savers: none.

Forecast: Five of the eight probable starters in this New York Stallion Series Stakes over a mile on the inner course exit the same race won by Ramblin’ Wreck, who accelerated into the teeth of a slow pace to win over seven furlongs last month at Belmont Park. Today’s event is around two turns, but it shouldn’t matter to the Danny Gargan-trained gelding, who has shown he can easily handle the added ground. A repeat of his last race against essentially this same bunch should be more than good enough for a repeat score.

Can'tPickAWinner
07-20-2023, 06:12 AM
Haskell Selections, Whitebeam Wins Diana July 19, 2023 | By Jon White
Inasmuch as the nation’s 3-year-old males currently lack a clear-cut leader, the Grade I, $1 million Haskell Stakes this Saturday at Monmouth Park could go a long way toward determining 2023 Eclipse Award glory in this division.

The news came Tuesday (July 18) that Kentucky Derby winner Mage is going to run in the Haskell. It will be his first start since he finished third as the 7-5 favorite in the Preakness Stakes on May 20.

Mage is owned by trainer Gustavo Delgado Sr.’s OGMA Investments, Ramiro Restrepo, Sterling Racing and CMNWLTH.

“Our summer goal since the Preakness was run for us has always been the Travers [at Saratoga on Aug. 26],” Restrepo said in a press release issued by Monmouth Park announcing that Mage would be running in the Haskell. “We were thinking of the best way to get to the Travers. The Haskell falls five weeks out and gives us an opportunity to come back in a strong race against some of the best 3-year-olds in the country. We’re excited for the opportunity to get him back in action.”

Mage tops my current Top 10 in the 3-year-old male division, as listed below:

Rank Horse

1. Mage
2. Arcangelo
3. Forte
4. Arabian Knight
5. Arabian Lion
6. National Treasure
7. Disarm
8. Extra Anejo
9. Geaux Rocket Ride
10. Tapit Trice

The Haskell field, from the inside rail out, consists of Geaux Rocket Ride (9-2 on Brad Thomas’ morning line), Awesome Strong (30-1), Salute the Stars (8-1), Mage (3-1), Tapit Trice (3-1), Howgreatisnate (20-1), Extra Anejo (5-1) and Arabian Knight (5-2).

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens in this year’s Haskell, not only because of Mage, but also because it’s attracted two colts -- Arabian Knight and Extra Anejo -- I thought had huge potential last fall after they each were dazzling at first asking. Unfortunately, neither Arabian Knight nor Extra Anejo made it to the starting gate for the May 6 Kentucky Derby, the May 20 Preakness Stakes or the June 10 Belmont Stakes. But both are slated to be in the starting gate for the July 22 Haskell.

Trained by Bob Baffert, Arabian Knight kicked off his racing career by winning a seven-furlong maiden special weight race by 7 1/2 lengths as a 3-5 favorite at Keeneland on the Breeders’ Cup Saturday undercard last Nov. 5.

Arabian Knight then splashed to a 5 1/2-length win in Oaklawn Park’s Grade III Southwest Stakes as a 2-5 favorite. Though the $2.3 million auction purchase has not been postward since the Jan. 28 Southwest, the Kentucky-bred Uncle Mo colt has recorded a number of splendid workouts at Santa Anita leading up to the Haskell.

Last Saturday (July 15), Arabian Knight worked six furlongs in company with Chay’s Tornado at Santa Anita. Chay’s Tornado, a 3-year-old Arrogate colt, has raced once, finishing fourth in a maiden special weight sprint down the hill at Santa Anita on June 3.

You can view Arabian Knight’s team drill last Saturday on XBTV: https://www.xbtv.com/video/uncle-mo/arabian-knight-bay-and-chays-tornado-worked-at-santa-anita-park-on-june-15th-2023/

Arabian Knight began the workout about 10 to 12 lengths behind Chay’s Tornado. Arabian Knight passed his workmate nearing the sixteenth pole, drew clear to reach the finish about 1 1/2 lengths clear and received a sharp 1:11 clocking for six furlongs. Chay’s Tornado was credited with a five-furlong workout in 1:01.20.

Baffert has won the Haskell a record nine times. The nine victories are listed below:

2020 Authentic
2015 American Pharoah
2014 Bayern
2012 Paynter
2011 Coil
2010 Lookin At Lucky
2005 Roman Ruler
2002 War Emblem
2001 Point Given

Bayern, American Pharoah and Authentic went on that same year to capture the Breeders’ Cup Classic.

Monmouth Park and BetMakers Technology Group this year again are partnering as sponsors of a $1 million “BetMakers Bonanza” bonus for the connections of any horse who sweeps the Haskell, Travers and Breeders’ Cup Classic.

Extra Anejo, a $1.35 million auction acquisition, won a Keeneland maiden special weight race at about seven furlongs for fun when unveiled last year on Oct. 13. Sent away as a 7-5 favorite, he reached the finish a widening 9 1/2 lengths in front. However, he subsequently went on the shelf as a result of undergoing ankle surgery.

When Extra Anejo returned to the races at Churchill Downs on the Kentucky Derby undercard May 6, he finished second as an even-money favorite to Federal Judge in a six-furlong allowance/optional claiming contest.

Extra Anejo then cruised to a 6 1/2-length victory in a one-mile allowance/optional claiming race at Ellis Park on June 10.

I think it says a lot that Hall of Famer Baffert is running Arabian Knight in the Haskell despite the layoff.

I also think it says a lot that fellow Hall of Fame trainer Steve Asmussen is asking Extra Anejo to make his stakes debut in the Haskell.

One the reasons I’ve decided to go with Extra Anejo to win the Haskell is the way Asmussen seems to believe that this colt and Disarm can hold their own with the best 3-year-olds around.

“They’re unbelievably talented in a very deep crop,” Asmussen said of the two colts in a July 10 Daily Racing Form article written by David Grening. “Nothing but respect for who’s still out there, but I like us.”

For Asmussen to call Extra Anejo and Disarm “unbelievably talented” is an indication to me that they both could have a big say in important races during the second half of the year, starting with the Haskell and Jim Dandy. This is somewhat similar to the way trainer Chad Brown talked up Whitebeam before she won Saratoga’s Grade I Diana Stakes last Saturday (July 15).

Whitebeam was my top pick in the Diana selections I made for Xpressbet.com. She won at odds of 7-1 by a nose over 1-5 favorite In Italian. One of the reasons I took a shot to make Whitebeam my top pick were positive comments made by Brown, who also trains In Italian. Brown’s comments indicated he has a very high opinion of Whitebeam.

Writing for horseracingnation.com, Tom Pedula quoted Brown as saying before the Diana: “She’s stepping up significantly in class, but she is a filly I’ve loved since she arrived from Juddmonte.”

Evaluating what a trainer says about a horse can be rather tricky, though. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn’t. For me, it did pay off with Whitebeam. I’m hoping that it also pays off with Extra Anejo. We shall see.

Extra Anejo and Disarm worked in company last Saturday (July 15) on Saratoga’s training track. Equibase listed each colt completing a five-furlong workout in the exact same time of 1:00.55.

“They worked like that at Churchill together, expected exactly what we got,” Asmussen said to Grening with regard to last Saturday’s team drill at Saratoga. “Feel really good about them.”

Here again, I think it’s worth noting that Asmussen didn’t just say he feels good about them, but that he feels “really” good about them. Sometimes even one word, like “really,” can be a major clue as to what a trainer thinks about a horse.

With respect to Extra Anejo, Asmussen said: “Who we’ve had him with in the morning for a long time gives us a lot of confidence in him.”

To reiterate, for Asmussen to ask Extra Anejo to make his stakes debut at the Grade I level tells us that North America’s all-time leading trainer in victories really likes this colt a lot. As they say, actions speak louder than words.

Ron Winchell’s Winchell Thoroughbreds races both pricey auction purchase Extra Anejo and homebred Disarm. Winchell Thoroughbreds campaigned Epicenter, who won last year’s Jim Dandy and Travers en route to an Eclipse Award as champion 3-year-old male of 2022.

“The Winchells have had a lot of very good horses, and Extra Anejo is as promising as any of them,” Asmussen said Wednesday (July 19) in a Daily Racing Form article written by Marcus Hersh.

How about what rival trainer Baffert said of Extra Anejo in Hersh’s article?

“Extra Anejo, we know he’s a superstar kind of horse,” Baffert said.

But by the same token, I’d say Arabian Knight, so far, likewise has look like he’s a superstar kind of horse.

As for Disarm, he finished a respectable fourth in the Kentucky Derby, then won Churchill’s Grade III Matt Winn Stakes when last seen under Winchell’s maroon and white silks.

“Thought he ran a beautiful race [in the Matt Winn],” Asmussen said. “He’s a very, very good horse.”

I consider it meaningful that Asmussen said the word “very” twice.

Do you know who was a “very, very good horse” trained by Asmussen? Disarm’s sire, Gun Runner, the 2017 Horse of the Year for Winchell and Three Chimneys Farm.

Perhaps Disarm is on his way to a Gun Runner-ish career. Disarm is to make his next start in Saratoga’s Grade II Jim Dandy on July 29.

“The Jim Dandy is the appropriate prep for the Travers,” Asmussen said. “The further they go, the more you like him.”

By the way, two other “very, very good horses” trained by Asmussen were Curlin, the 2007-08 Horse of the Year, the Rachel Alexandra, the 2009 Horse of the Year.

Last week in my selections for Xpressbet.com, I took a shot at beating In Italian. This time I’m going to take a shot at beating Mage.

Why would I not make Mage my top pick in the Haskell if I have him ranked No. 1 on my 3-year-old male Top 10? Good question. I think it’s worth trying to beat him because of his anticipated low odds. I expect Mage to end up being lower than his 3-1 morning line because being a Kentucky Derby winner has a lot of cachet.

I loved Mage to win the Preakness. He let me down by finishing third. Granted, it didn’t help Mage in the Preakness that the pace was much slower than it had been in the Kentucky Derby. I thought Mage would be good enough to win the Preakness even if the pace was moderate. But he wasn’t. Mage had no late kick. He just ran evenly down the lane when outrun by National Treasure and Blazing Sevens.

Mage was freshened a bit after the Preakness.

“He had a great break after the Preakness -- 17 days of no saddle and no racetrack,” Restrepo said. “The break was good for him.”

Another reason I’m not willing to back Mage at low odds in the Haskell is he’s coming up to the race somewhat light in the workout department for such a tough assignment.

Mage has had only four published workouts since the Preakness. That’s “not ideal,” Restrepo admitted. “But we’ve got to get the ball rolling.”

In a Daily Racing Form story written by Mike Welsch, Restrepo said that “with no disrespect to the Haskell, we are basically using this race as a prep for the Travers rather than giving him one more work and bringing him back in the Jim Dandy the following week.”

It’s not a difficult decision for me to try and beat Mage in this spot, particularly in light of Restrepo’s comments.

What was a very difficult decision was whether to make either Arabian Knight or Extra Anejo my top pick in the Haskell. I went back and forth, over and over, before ultimately deciding to opt for Extra Anejo, especially since Extra Anejo probably is going to be a much better price, as indicated by the morning line in which he is 5-1 vis-a-vis Arabian Knight’s 5-2 favoritism.

Interestingly, according to horseracingnation.com, in the fixed-odds market, Mage opened as the 2-1 favorite by MonmouthBets. Arabian Knight was the second choice at 5-2, followed by Tapit Trice at 7-2, Extra Anejo at 6-1, Geaux Rocket Ride at 8-1, Salute the Stars at 10-1, Howgreatisnate at 20-1 and Awesome Strong at 30-1.

Below are my selections for the Haskell Stakes:

1. Extra Anejo
2. Arabian Knight
3. Geaux Rocket Ride
4. Tapit Trice

I think Geaux Rocket Ride also should be taken very seriously. Why? Primarily because of the way trainer Richard Mandella has talked so enthusiastically about him on a number of occasions and the way the Hall of Fame horseman has managed him.

After Geaux Rocket Ride won a six-furlong maiden special weight race by 5 3/4 lengths at Santa Anita on Jan. 29 in his career debut, Mandella ran him next in the Grade II San Felipe Stakes on March 4. This indicated what Mandella thought of the Kentucky-bred Candy Ride colt. You don’t see Mandella do something like that very often.

What Mandella did with Geaux Rocket Ride was similar to what he did with Omaha Beach. After Omaha Beach won a maiden race by nine lengths on a sloppy track in his fifth career start, Mandella hiked him substantially in class and ran him in Oaklawn Park’s Grade II Rebel Stakes, which the colt won at 4-1.

Geaux Rocket Ride was the 5-2 favorite in the San Felipe. He finished second to Practical Move. There were those who thought Geaux Rocket Ride was going to win the Grade I Santa Anita Derby on April 8, but the colt didn’t get his chance. He had to be scratched due to an elevated temperature.

After missing the Santa Anita Derby, Geaux Rocket Ride won Santa Anita’s Affirmed Stakes by 1 3/4 lengths there on June 4. Mandella has targeted the Haskell with him ever since the Affirmed.

Geaux Rocket Ride completed his serious preparation for the Haskell by working four furlongs last Sunday (July 16) at Santa Anita in :47.20. It was a praiseworthy move, especially considering he worked by himself.

You can watch Geaux Rocket Ride’s workout last Sunday on XBTV: https://www.xbtv.com/video/candy-ride/geaux-rocket-ride-worked-4-furlongs-in-47-20-at-santa-anita-park-on-july-16th-2023/

Tapit Trice, a $1.3 million auction purchase, put together a four-race winning streak that continued through his neck triumph in Keeneland’s Grade I Blue Grass Stakes on April 8. The Kentucky-bred Tapit colt then ran seventh at 9-2 in the 18-horse Kentucky Derby.

In his most recent start, Tapit Trice ran well in defeat. In fact, his 100 Beyer when third in the Belmont Stakes was his biggest figure yet. Despite a very wide trip, he missed finishing second by only a nose to Eclipse Award winner Forte. Forte and Tapit Trice both finished 1 1/2 lengths behind Arcangelo, who benefitted from a savvy ground-saving ride on the far turn by Hall of Famer Javier Castellano.

I’ve never been as high on Tapit Trice as many others. But that being said, would I be surprised if he won the Haskell? No, I would not.

WHITEBEAM NAILS IN ITALIAN AT FINISH

As mentioned earlier, Whitebeam was my top pick in the Diana Stakes for Xpressbet.com. She pulled off an upset, returning $17.60 for each $2 win wager.

Whitebeam sat just off the early pace, which as expected was set by In Italian. Coming down the stretch, In Italian managed to hold a short lead over Whitebeam all the way until Whitebeam poked her nose in front right at the finish line.

That made it three straight stakes races in which I’ve selected the winner for Xpressbet.com, following Two Phil’s at 3-5 in the Grade III Ohio Derby on June 14 and West Will Power at 2-1 in the Grade I Stephen Foster Stakes on July 1.

I talked last week about taking a shot with Whitebeam in the Diana even though her top Beyer Speed Figure of a 94 going into the race did not come close to measuring up to In Italian’s five most recent Beyers -- 102, 104, 104, 100, 103.

“But I think there is a chance that we have not seen the best from Whitebeam yet,” I wrote. “If that’s true, the 4-year-old Caravaggio filly just might have the potential to go out there and post a triple-digit Beyer.”

And what Beyer Speed Figure did Whitebeam get for her Diana victory? She got a 100.

To be fair to In Italian, even though she didn’t win the Diana, she actually ran quite well.

First, In Italian spotted six pounds to Whitebeam.

Second, the Mellon turf course was officially listed as firm. But a number of riders were reported to have said that some rain had caused there to be a little more give in the ground on that turf course than when it’s normally firm. Thus, the surface in the Diana probably was not the best situation for In Italian, who likes it really firm.

And third, some observers, such as riders turned television commentators Gary Stevens (in the Hall of Fame as a jockey) and Richard Migliore expressed the view that In Italian’s early speed is a weapon that her pilot, Irad Ortiz Jr., did not use to best advantage. Recognizing that hindsight is always 20/20, Stevens said that Ortiz “should have let her out a notch, let her skip away down the backside and maybe go a little bit faster.”

In any case, Whitebeam won this year’s Diana, albeit narrowly, as the longest price in the betting of Brown’s four starters in the race. In Italian at 8-1 likewise was the longest price of four Brown runners in last year’s Diana.

Brown finished 1-2-3-4 in the 2022 Diana with In Italian, Technical Analysis, Bleecker Street and Rougir.

Brown finished 1-2-4-5 in the 2023 Diana. The Brown-trained Marketsegmentation and Fluffy Socks finished fourth and fifth, respectively, in the field of five.

The only Diana contestant this year not trained by Brown was Fev Rover, who finished a creditable third.

LONGINES BREEDERS’ CUP CLASSIC RANKINGS

This year’s Breeders’ Cup will be held at Santa Anita on Nov. 3-4. The race with the largest purse during the two days of fierce Thoroughbred competition once again will be the $6 million Classic at 1 1/4 miles on dirt Nov. 4. In fact, the BC Classic has the distinction of being the richest horse race in North America.

It was announced Wednesday (July 19) that for the first time in the 40-year history of the Breeders’ Cup, the Classic will not be final Breeders’ Cup race on the day that it’s held.

This year’s Classic instead will be run as the third-to-last Breeders’ Cup race on Saturday, Nov. 4. It then will be followed by the Turf Sprint and the Sprint.

“Breeders’ Cup noted the change in a release announcing its broadcast schedule,” Daily Racing Form’s Matt Hegarty wrote. “Under that schedule, NBC will broadcast on Saturday from 3:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Eastern, at which time NBC will switch to Big Ten college football coverage.”

The first 2023 Longines Breeders’ Cup Classic Rankings were announced this week on Tuesday (July 18). The rankings are determined by a panel of voters comprised of members of the Breeders’ Cup Racing/Secretaries Panel, international racing and sports media, plus racing analysts.

The rankings will be updated weekly through Oct. 10.

This week’s rankings are below:

Rank Points Horse (First-Place Votes)

1. 287 Cody’s Wish (22)
2. 210 West Will Power (3)
3. 194 Forte (2)
4. 169 Defunded (3)
5. 151 Arcangelo
6. 149 Mage
7. 122 Rattle N Roll (1)
8. 100 Charge It
9. 46 Art Collector
10. 42 Stilleto Boy

The first rankings of 2022 are below:

1. 334 Flightline (22)
2. 263 Country Grammer (2)
3. 240 Life Is Good (2)
4. 154 Hot Rod Charlie
5. 126 Mandaloun
6. 121 Mo Donegal (2)
7. 108 Olympiad (2)
8. 107 Epicenter
9. 95 Early Voting
10. 91 Jack Christopher

The final 2022 rankings are below:

1. 350 Flightline (35)
2. 291 Epicenter
3. 265 Life Is Good
4. 217 Taiba
5. 216 Olympiad
6. 191 Hot Rod Charlie
7. 94 Country Grammer
8. 73 Rich Strike
9. 69 Cyberknife
10. 42 Happy Saver

After Flightline’s spectacular 19 1/4-length victory in Del Mar’s Grade I Pacific Classic on Sept. 3, he won the BC Classic by 8 1/4 lengths as the 2-5 favorite. It was the biggest margin of victory in the 39-year history of the BC Classic.

Flightline also broke Easy Goer’s record for the lowest odds by a BC Classic starter. Easy Goer was a 1-2 favorite when he finished second to 2-1 Sunday Silence in the 1989 renewal.

Unfortunately, after the 2022 BC Classic, Flightline was retired from racing.

As I wrote in my BC Classic recap for Xpressbet.com: “Flightline ended his all too brief and superlative-filled racing career with six victories from six starts by a combined 71 lengths. In his six races, we saw six exhibitions of sheer poetry in motion. All six times it was a tour de force.”

ECLIPSE AWARD WINNER FUNNY CIDE DIES

Sackatoga Stable’s Funny Cide, who was voted a 2003 Eclipse Award as champion 3-year-old male after winning the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes, died last Sunday (July 15) at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington due to complications of colic. He was 23.

“He had a long, good life,” Barclay Tagg, Funny Cide’s trainer, said Tuesday (July 18) on Steve Byk’s SiriusXM radio program At the Races. Tagg added, “So, we can’t cry about it too long. He was a wonderful horse.”

Daily Racing Form’s Nicole Russo wrote that Funny Cide was a “popular New York-bred gelding” who “gained fans during his 2003 Triple Crown bid.”

I became one of those Funny Cide fans, even though I thought he was fortunate to win the Kentucky Derby. I don’t think Empire Maker was at his absolute best that day because his training up to the race did not go ideally due to a foot issue.

It seems as if most people were either an Empire Maker fan or a Funny Cide fan. I was a fan of them both. It’s much like it seems that most people were either a Sunday Silence fan or an Easy Goer fan, but not both. Well, I was something of a rarity in that I was a Sunday Silence fan AND an Easy Goer fan.

As a 2-year-old, Funny Cide won all three of his starts, each time defeating fellow New York-breds. Two of those victories came in stakes races.

After losing his first three starts at 3, Funny Cide proved to be the right horse at the right time to win the Run for the Roses by 1 3/4 lengths at odds of 12-1. Empire Maker had to settle for second as the 5-2 favorite.

Funny Cide became the first gelding to win the Kentucky Derby since Clyde Van Dusen all the way back in 1929. The only gelding to win the roses since Funny Cide was Mine That Bird in 2009. Nine geldings have won the Kentucky Derby in its 149-year history.

Three weeks before the 2003 Kentucky Derby, Empire Maker won the Wood Memorial by a half-length. Funny Cide finished second. The Wood was contested on a muddy track. After the race, a bruised right front foot compromised Empire Maker’s training for the Kentucky Derby.

Years later, while talking with Empire Maker’s trainer, Bobby Frankel, at the 2006 Breeders’ Cup press party, I said, “You know, Bobby, I honestly think a decision you made probably kept Empire Maker from winning the Kentucky Derby and maybe being a Triple Crown winner.”

“Oh yeah? How’d I do that?” Frankel responded.

“Well, after he won the Florida Derby [by 9 3/4 lengths], you brought Empire Maker back to California,” I said. “Instead of keeping him in California and running him in the Santa Anita Derby, you sent him to Aqueduct for the Wood. Which track would you say that you would have had a better chance of getting a fast track, Santa Anita or Aqueduct? But you sent Empire Maker to New York and ran him on a muddy track in New York. The foot problem he had after you ran him on that muddy track kept you from training him like you wanted up to the Kentucky Derby. I think if you had stayed home and run him on a fast track in the Santa Anita Derby, he probably would’ve won the Kentucky Derby and maybe even the Triple Crown.”

Frankel didn’t say anything right away. I was fully prepared for a Frankel eruption similar to Mount St. Helens in 1980.

But Frankel didn’t blow his stack. He shook his head and said, “Yeah, you’re right.”

After Funny Cide’s Kentucky Derby, he ran in the Preakness, while Empire Maker skipped the race. With Empire Maker sitting out the Preakness, Frankel was able to train the colt like he wanted to for the Belmont Stakes, unlike the colt’s less-than-ideal preparation for the Kentucky Derby.

I have seen only one Preakness in person. It was Funny’s Cide’s 9 3/4-length runaway victory. I was at Pimlico that week to anchor HRTV’s coverage of the racing there leading up to the Preakness.

After the Preakness, Funny Cide and Empire Maker had their rubber match in the Belmont Stakes, which was decided on a sloppy track. I was still convinced that Empire Maker was better than Funny Cide. Consequently, I made a substantial win wager on Empire Maker in the Belmont. With Funny Cide going for a Triple Crown sweep, he was backed down to even-money favoritism. Empire Maker was sent off at 2-1.

Funny Cide’s bid for Triple Crown immortality proved to be unsuccessful. Empire Maker won the Belmont. Funny Cide finished third.

Ten Most Wanted came on to loom a serious threat to Empire Maker in the stretch. But Empire Maker steadfastly kept to his task and managed to hold off Ten Most Wanted throughout the final furlong.

Empire Maker prevailed by three-quarters of a length. Ten Most Wanted finished second. Funny Cide ended up five lengths behind Empire Maker.

Funny Cide had run hard when second in the Wood and recorded a 110 Beyer Speed Figure. He again ran hard when three weeks later he won the Kentucky Derby and posted a 109 Beyer. And then he ran pretty darn hard yet again when drawing away down the lane in the Preakness, which produced a 114 Beyer.

My personal belief is it didn’t do Funny Cide any favors that he won the Preakness by such a sizable margin. I agree with Tagg that Funny Cide, for whatever reason on the part of jockey Jose Santos, was “over-ridden” that day, as the trainer has put it. I think Funny Cide would have been much better served if Santos had been cognizant of trying to leave something in the tank for the 1 1/2-mile Belmont Stakes three weeks later, a la Mike Smith when he won the 2018 Preakness on Justify, who did subsequently win the Belmont to achieve Triple Crown glory.

One explanation for Santos not easing off the gas pedal toward the end of the Preakness was he wanted Funny Cide to show everyone just how good he was following a ridiculous controversy involving Santos after the Kentucky Derby. Santos has said that did have a lot to do with how he rode Funny Cide down the stretch in the Preakness.

In the book “The Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont Stakes,” Richard Sowers wrote: “…Santos had never faced the adversity he encountered in the aftermath of the [Kentucky] Derby. One week before the Preakness, the Miami Herald published an article written by freelance writer Frank Carlson, along with a photo, that questioned whether Santos had been holding a buzzer -- an illegal electrical device -- in his right hand in the Derby. By the time Santos was cleared of all charges by the Kentucky Racing Commission two days later, the story and photo perhaps had drawn more attention to the Sport of Kings than anything in the three decades since Secretariat’s 31-length romp in the Belmont Stakes.”

I think it’s perfectly understandable that Funny Cide’s gas tank probably was on the low side during the stretch run of the Belmont due to the Wood, Kentucky Derby and Preakness taking a cumulative toll on him.

Empire Maker did win two of his three encounters with Funny Cide in 2003. Nevertheless, as mentioned earlier, it was Funny Cide who was honored with the 2003 Eclipse Award as champion 3-year-old male.

Funny Cide, who is remembered by many for his owners riding to his Triple Crown races in a rented school bus stocked with beer and Bloody Marys, did win one other Grade I race during his 38 career starts. That Grade I score came in the 2004 Jockey Club Gold Cup.

In his final career start, Funny Cide won the Wadsworth Memorial Handicap at Finger Lakes on the Fourth of July in 2007. He concluded his racing career with a total of 11 victories and earnings of $3,529,412.

A resident at the Kentucky Horse Park for the past 15 years, Funny Cide will be cremated and buried there.

TOP 10 IN THIS WEEK’S NTRA TOP THOROUGHBRED POLL

1. 327 Cody’s Wish (30)
2. 289 Elite Power (3)
3. 228 Clairiere
4. 194 West Will Power
5. 180 Up to the Mark
6. 135 Defunded
7. 129 Caravel
8. 73 In Italian
9. 53 Art Collector
10. 51 Goodnight Olive

Can'tPickAWinner
07-20-2023, 06:12 AM
The Del Mar Details July 19, 2023 | By 1/ST BET
The Lineup

2023 Summer Meet: Friday, July 21 - Sunday, September 10, 2023

Racing Weeks: Thursday through Sunday (plus Labor Day Monday)

Major Stakes Dates: Bing Crosby & San Diego (July 29), Clement Hirsch (Aug. 5), Del Mar Oaks (Aug. 19), Pat O’Brien (Aug. 26), Pacific Classic (Sept. 2), Del Mar Debutante (Sept. 9), Del Mar Futurity (Sept. 10)

First Race Post Time: 5 pm ET opening day, Thursdays, Saturdays & Sundays; varying later starts Fridays

//

The Bets

Key Wagers: 14% takeout early pick 5 (Races 1-5 daily); opening day features $1 million guaranteed payout if there’s a single ticket winner in the 20-cent jackpot pick six bet

2022 Summer Average Daily Handle: $18.7 million

2022 Average Field Size: 9.14 starters per race

2022 Average Daily Attendance: 8,990

//

The Connections

2022 Top Summer Jockeys: Juan Hernandez (49 wins, 25%), Umberto Rispoli (28, 17%), Ramon Vasquez (24, 13%), Mike Smith (19, 23%), Hector Berrios (18, 14%)

2022 Top Summer Trainers: Bob Baffert (19 wins, 25%), Phil D’Amato (19, 14%), Peter Miller (17, 13%), Doug O’Neill (17, 12%), Mark Glatt (14, 17%), George Papaprodromou (14, 14%), Jonathan Wong (13, 20%)

//

The Betmix Stats (2022 Summer Meet)

Winning Favorites: 35.7%

Winners Within Top-3 Post Time Betting Choices: 71.1% (209 of 294)

Average Winning Odds: 5.70-1

Races Won by Horses 10-1 Or More Odds: 14.6% (43 of 294)

Win % By Last Start Locations: Golden Gate Fields (14.6%), Santa Anita (11.8%), Los Alamitos (7.6%) … all other venues (10.5%)

//

Our Free Handicapping Help

Jeff Siegel: What You Need to Know – Del Mar … available free daily at 1/ST BET and Xpressbet

XBTV Daily Workout Coverage

Can'tPickAWinner
07-20-2023, 06:13 AM
Meet the Contenders: Haskell | Monmouth Park | Saturday July 19, 2023 | By Jeremy Plonk
Meet the Contenders: Haskell Invitational | Monmouth Park | Saturday, July 22, 2023

Kentucky Derby winner Mage is back in action for the first time since his third-place run in the Preakness. Saturday’s $1 million Haskell Invitational program at Monmouth gets underway at noon ET and the main event will be Race 12 of 14 at 5:45 pm ET.

Let’s meet the contenders for the Haskell:

#1-Geaux Rocket Ride (Richard Mandella / Mike Smith) 9-2
Trainer Mandella raided from the west coast to win the 2000 Haskell with Dixie Union, who also exited the Affirmed Stakes and was a runner who bypassed the Triple Crown series like Geaux Rocket Ride. This colt’s only loss in 3 starts was a runner-up to Practical Move in March’s San Felipe. Son of Candy Ride has natural early speed, but also showed an ability to rate in the Affirmed victory last out.

#2-Awesome Strong (Jorge Delgado / Jose Bautista ) 30-1
Top Florida-bred juvenile of 2022 suffered his only career loss when returning to the races June 14 at Delaware Park, taking on elder runners in the sprint ranks. Swept 3 legs of the Florida Sire Stakes series among 4 victories a year ago and will be making his graded stakes debut. Florida-bred son of Awesome Slew will be one of the Haskell’s longest prices.

#3-Salute the Stars (Brad Cox / Joel Rosario) 8-1
Monmouth’s Pegasus Stakes winner has won three straight since a debut second last summer at Ellis Park. Trainer Cox aims for a third straight Haskell trophy, following Mandaloun and Cyberknife. A three-peat would match the feat by Bob Baffert from 2010-12 in this event. This will be the first graded stakes attempt for Salute the Stars.

#4-Mage (Gustavo Delgado / Javier Castellano) 3-1
Among the leaders for champion 3-year-old, the Kentucky Derby winner was runner-up in the Florida Derby and third in the Preakness Stakes. War Emblem became the first Kentucky Derby winner to add the Haskell in 2002, and since then Big Brown (2008) and American Pharoah (2015) have followed suit. Authentic (2020) and Mandaloun (2021) won both races the same season; the first in reverse order due to the pandemic schedule shift, and the latter via Medina Spirit’s Derby disqualification for a medication infraction. His connections confirmed his status Tuesday for the Haskell after deliberating an alternative path of training up to August’s Travers at Saratoga.

#5-Tapit Trice (Todd Pletcher / Luis Saez) 3-1
The winner of the Tampa Bay Derby and Blue Grass Stakes rebounded from a disappointing seventh-place effort in the Kentucky Derby to finish a credible third in the Belmont Stakes. Has a very similar form pattern to 2006 Haskell winner Bluegrass Cat for trainer Pletcher, who also won this race in 2007 (Any Given Saturday) and 2013 (Verrazano). Tapit Trice should be finishing on the back end along with Mage in a race with favorable hot early pace set-up for his style.

#6-Howgreatisnate (Elizabeth Dobles / Paco Lopez) 20-1
A winner in 5 of 8 starts, including Monmouth’s Long Branch Stakes, the son of Speightster exits a third-place effort locally in the Pegasus Stakes behind Haskell rival Salute the Stars. Trainer Dobles can become the first female trainer to win the Haskell, following up the success of Jena Antonucci’s historic Belmont victory by Arcangelo.

#7-Extra Anejo (Steve Asmussen / Tyler Gaffalione) 5-1
Smashing Keeneland fall debut winner finally gets his stakes unveiling in his fourth career start. Sidelined from October until May, he was dealt his lone defeat in a Churchill allowance runner-up. He since stretched out to a mile successfully in allowance company at Ellis Park in impressive fashion. The $1.35 million son of Into Mischief should be forwardly placed. Trainer Asmussen won the 2009 Haskell with star filly Rachel Alexandra.

#8-Arabian Knight (Bob Baffert / John Velazquez) 5-2
Unbeaten winner of Oaklawn’s Southwest Stakes in late January, the $2.3 million sales buy was taken off the Triple Crown trail in March and will be making his first start in nearly 6 months. Regarded by many among the favorites for the Kentucky Derby in early spring, the son of Uncle Mo has had a long diet of 6 and 7-furlong workouts at Santa Anita in preparation for his longest career test. Trainer Baffert has a Haskell record 9 victories in this race, most recently Authentic in 2020.

Can'tPickAWinner
07-20-2023, 06:14 AM
Brian W. Spencer's Daily Picks Hawthorne - Race #1

Picks
Notes

#1 Kathaan
Her finishing style will always leave her at the mercy of those in front of her, but she seems likely to sit just a touch closer here in a short field without a ton of speed. Hoping they'll bunch up a bit where her late kick can get her home.

#3 She Can't Sing
She has been a real handful with some tougher customers over the last couple years, and she has a class edge on these overall that may be enough to land this. The one to beat.

#2 Wave of Goodness
She ran okay in some of those winter tries, and she can bounce back with something better here after the Churchill dud in May. Not out of the question, but think there are more likely options.

Race Summary
Kathaan can't drop too far out the back in this small field, but I think a modest enough race shape might help her stay in touch into the far turn to try to make this a sprint for home where her turn of foot would make her tough.

Hawthorne - Race #6

Picks
Notes

#6 Bali Baby
The form this year has been dreadful, but maybe the move back to the grass here will give her some room to improve, as these turf sprint trips have been some of her best. Price chance to rebound?

#1 Belperron
She took nicely to the synthetic to graduate when last seem in Florence, and she might be able to work out a cozy trip from the inside draw. Mid-range price chance?

#3 Rare Action Attack
She probably wants a bit cheaper at this point in time, but she has occasionally been solid at this trip and wouldn't be a shock for a piece if she can hold form out of that last one.

Race Summary
Bali Baby has some price intrigue while trying a turf sprint trip again, as maybe this sharper run on the grass will shake her up a little bit to snap her out of some really terrible form.

Hawthorne - Race #7

Picks
Notes

#6 Star Nation
He shouldn't really have much business winning this on overall form while cutting back, but he's the only one of these six who doesn't do their best work on the front end -- hoping the owner/trainer's other player drawn one stall inside will serve to do little but force the pace issue the entire way.

#2 Fit to Fly
He has been super reliable through six starts, and he might be the best-positioned of the pace players to relax just the tiniest bit off the speed. No surprises here.

#1 Lookin for Bala
Wonder if he might get outrun just a touch by a couple other pace foes drawn wider, and if that might let him try to find a pocket trip to capitalize on. Honestly don't have a really good feel of what to expect from this guy from the fence today.

Race Summary
Star Nation draws outside of five horses -- the entire rest of the field -- who are committed pace players of some sort, and it's worth noting he did run well locally at this trip in his career debut from way off the pace.

Can'tPickAWinner
07-20-2023, 06:16 AM
Frank Carulli's Daily Picks Delaware Park - Race #2

Picks
Notes

#1 THE SICARIL (2-1)
Beat pair of accomplished foes to end winless streak, today’s Best Bet.

#5 W W SPRINGTIME (6-1)
Won two photos in last three starts, projects ideal stalking trip.

#6 SEANOW (3-1)
Has speed, favorable post, 12 wins and chance to join $400k Club.

Race Summary
THE SICARIL is perfectly spotted for a repeat victory off the claim after a long winless drought. He edged away from the likes of Bazoo and Shanghai Superfly – a combined 77/15-14-16 with $418k in earnings – in a tougher condition and was in-hand late. Bet to win and place.

Delaware Park - Race #3

Picks
Notes

#5 BUSHWICK BRUISER (10-1)
Slowed by pace, good finish behind odds-on winner, shortens up.

#8 DOUBLE O OTT0 (8-1)
Can go long way up front in this spot, another live price play to consider.

#7 DEFINE (8-1)
Was entered on turf before debut and heavily-bet second start, wake-up candidate.

Race Summary
BUSHWICK BRUISER followed but couldn’t reach the 1-to-5 favorite last out. But he ‘finished strong’ for second in that route race and was disqualified from a win at the $25,000 level on the Delaware lawn last fall. Bet to win and place and play a 5-7-8 exacta box.

Delaware Park - Race #8

Picks
Notes

#6 CLAW (7-2)
Dueled to late stretch and edged away to win at this distance off layoff, taken to repeat.

#10 PEPE AND HEYWOOD (9-2)
Returns to winning level for first time since March claim.

#7 POSITIVELY AWESOME (8-1)
Upstaged in-money finishes with game front-end win at Parx.

Race Summary
CLAW carried over his solid Ohio form and put away the pace-setting favorite in deep stretch to win in his first go-round at Delaware Park. He should be tighter for his second start after 2-1/2 months away. Bet to win and place.

Can'tPickAWinner
07-20-2023, 06:17 AM
Saratoga Hotlist - July 20
Jul. 18, 2023

By Matt Shifman and Bob Ehalt
Hot List Key:
A: A preferred horse to watch B: Secondary horse to watch
*C: Went down 2 or more betting notches and finished 1st through 3rd
*D: Went down 2 or more betting notches and finished 4th or worse
* - 4 or more betting notches if 11-1 or more.
1st race [Md Sp Wt, 7F] – (3) Dark Princess (A) broke last in a maiden claimer, rallied for third, and was probably best on that day. She was a voided claim on that day in May. (1) Stunningly ran the best race of her career in her fourth start she was second at Belmont Park with a huge jump in speed figures. (8) Portage set the pace in the same race as the second choice above and finished thirf in her second start for Linda Rice. (4) Sister Maha is a daughter of American Pharoah who will make her first career start for Todd Pletcher after a series of impressive workouts at Saratoga.
4th race [Clm 32000, 1 mi] – (3) Pretti Xtreme had a third and a second for Brad Cox at Oaklawn Park and drops back to a claimer where last she was a winner and was taken by Cox at Chruchill Downs in September. (4) Good Penny returns from an April layoff and makes her second start since she was claimed from a victory by Ron Moquett at Oaklawn in March. (5) Halo City was claimed for $20,000 at Belmont where she missed the win by a nose. (2) With This Vow will make her second start for Rick Dutrow and moves from turf to dirt after a second in a $32,000 claimer.
8th race [Alw 20000s, 7F] – (8) She Caught My Eye was a front end winner in a $50,000 starter allowance at Belmont last month for the red hot team of Linda Rice and Jose Ortiz. (2) Know It All Audrey gets some class relief after finishing in the top three in her last 11 races which were in allowance and stakes company. (3) Knowing Glance exits a victory in a $25,000 starter at Monmouth Park in her first start after being claimed for $30,000 by Kelly Breen. (1) Mosienko also finds a softer spot moving back to starter allowance company where she won in March at Aqueduct.
10th race [NY, Stallion Series, 1 mi TURF] – (7) Ramblin’ Wreck (A) broke badly in his first start of the year and rallied to win a similar Stallion Series stakes race last month at Belmont. (3) Laurel Valley (B) had a bad trip last time but admittedly belongs in a maiden claimer as opposed to this spot. (8) Twenty Six Black is in fine form this year with a maiden win, an allowance win, and a second behind the top choice after having the lead in the stretch. (2) Itsallcomintogetha was third in that prior Stallion Series race after a maiden breaker at Belmont in May.
Best bets: Pretti Xtreme (4th); Ramblin’ Wreck (10th). Best value: Dark Princess (1st); She Caught My Eye (8th).

No.
Name
Letter/
last race
Today's Race
Comments

(3)
Dark Princess
A on 5/26
Broke last, finished third, probably best that day.

(3)
Laurel Valley
B on 6/25
Taken up off heels and tries ambitious spot now.

(7)
Ramblin’ Wreck
A on 6/18
Bad break, last of eight, rallied to win stake in 2023 debut.

Can'tPickAWinner
07-20-2023, 06:17 AM
F.A.S.T. Sheets Free Race for Retama ParkPURCHASE (https://www.equibase.com/premium/eebURLAddToCart.cfm?pid=50289&pfn=ret0720zf.pdf&exp=07/22/2023&pds=RET_-_07/20/2023&var=RACE_DATE=07/20/2023;TRACK_CODE=RET&SAP=FREEPICS)

Retama Park - Race 7

Ex. / Tri. (.50 Min.) / Super.(.10 Min.) / Double (Races 7-8)(12% Takeout) Pick 3 (Races 7-8-9)(12% Takeout)(.50 Min.) / Pick 4 (Races 7-8-9-10)

Trial • 400 Yards • Dirt • Age 3 • CR: 86 • Purse: $10,000 • Post: 8:57P

QUARTER HORSE 400Y, FOR THREE YEAR OLDS. WEIGHT: 125 LBS.

Contenders

Race Analysis

P#

Horse

Morn
Line

Accept
Odds

Race Type: Not Applicable (Quarter Horse). * KEY ANGLES * PHREEDOM: Quarter Horse has a Fast Break Style designation and no horse in a post position next to it gets out of the gate fast. Quarter horse has the highest last race Equibase Speed Rat ing. JESS SEA LOUISIANA: Horse has a TrackMaster "+" designation or an "L" designation. Horse ranks in the top three in average Equibase Speed Figure at the distance/surface. EAGLE POWERS: Horse has the highest TrackMaster Power Rating. Horse has the highest average Equibase Speed Figure at the distance/surface. ZOOMING FOR MUDDY: Quarter Horse has a Fast Break Style designation and no horse in a post position next to it gets out of the gate fast. Horse ranks in the top three in TrackMaste r Power Rating.

PHREEDOM

4/1

9/2

JESS SEA LOUISIANA

8/1

9/2

EAGLE POWERS

5/2

7/1

ZOOMING FOR MUDDY

6/1

9/1

P#

Horse (In Running Style Order)

Morn
Line

Running Style

Good
Class

Good
Speed

Early Figure

Finish Figure

Platinum
Figure

BLACKJESS

15/1

Average

PHREEDOM

4/1

Fast

FAMOUS TREIS

12/1

Average

EAGLE POWERS

5/2

Average

DARING GOODTIME

20/1

Average

JESS SEA LOUISIANA

8/1

Average

ZOOMING FOR MUDDY

6/1

Fast

GANADERO

5/1

Average

MOON DIAMOND

12/1

Average/Trouble-prone

Can'tPickAWinner
07-20-2023, 06:19 AM
F.A.S.T. Sheets Free Race for Fair MeadowsPURCHASE (https://www.equibase.com/premium/eebURLAddToCart.cfm?pid=50289&pfn=fmt0720zf.pdf&exp=07/22/2023&pds=FMT_-_07/20/2023&var=RACE_DATE=07/20/2023;TRACK_CODE=FMT&SAP=FREEPICS)

Fair Meadows - Race 6

$2 Exacta / (.50) Trifecta / (.10) Superfecta / $2 Daily Double (.50) Pick 3 (Races 6-7-8)

Claiming $10,000 • 5 1/2 Furlongs • Dirt • Ages 3 and up • CR: 61 • Purse: $8,580 • Post: 8:05P

FOR ACCREDITED OKLAHOMA-BREDS THREE YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE NEVER WON TWO RACES. THREE YEAR OLDS, 118 LBS.; OLDER, 124 LBS. CLAIMING PRICE $10,000.

Contenders

Race Analysis

P#

Horse

Morn
Line

Accept
Odds

Race Type: Dominant Front-runner. KYEMBEA is the Dominant Front-runner of the race. * KEY ANGLES * KYEMBEA: Today is a sprint and this is the horse's third or fourth start after a layoff. Horse has run a Good Race within the last 30 days. Horse has the highest TrackMaster Power Rating. FURIOUS AVENGER: Today is a sprint and this is the horse's third or fourth start after a layoff. Horse has run a Good Race within the last 30 days. Horse ranks in the top three in TrackMaster Power Rating.

KYEMBEA

8/5

8/5

FURIOUS AVENGER

2/1

7/1

P#

Horse (In Running Style Order)

Morn
Line

Running Style

Good
Class

Good
Speed

Early Figure

Finish Figure

Platinum
Figure

KYEMBEA

8/5

Alternator/Front-runner

TOMMY TSUNAMI

4/1

Alternator/Stalker

FURIOUS AVENGER

2/1

Alternator/Stalker

WARRIOR'S STAR

8/1

Alternator/Non-contender

KENNY T

20/1

Alternator/Non-contender

GOSPEL DANDY

5/1

Alternator/Non-contender

Can'tPickAWinner
07-20-2023, 06:19 AM
Handicapped by The Walker Group at SaratogaPURCHASE (https://www.equibase.com/premium/eebURLAddToCart.cfm?pid=50267&pfn=sar0720zz.htm&exp=07/22/2023&pds=SAR_-_07/20/2023&var=RACE_DATE=07/20/2023;TRACK_CODE=SAR&SAP=FREEPICS)
Always check program numbers.
Odds shown are morning line odds.

Race 2 - Maiden Special Weight - 5.5f on the Dirt. Purse: $83000 Class Rating: 81

FOR MAIDENS, TWO YEARS OLD. WEIGHT, 119 LBS.

RECOMMENDED CHOICES

https://www.trackmaster.com/images/wg.gif

# 5 HONEST AL 10/1

# 3 ASTRONOMICO 8/1

# 1 WALSTIB 5/2

HONEST AL looks competitive to best this group especially at a long price. Cannot be overlooked - Motion is a strong trainer with the babies, winning 18 of his races. ASTRONOMICO - He will most likely show very good support based on trainer figures which can be very important in two-year old races. Has competitive speed figures and has to be considered for a bet for this event. By Frosted, has a clear advantage in the bloodlines - brothers and sisters have competed soundly as two-year olds. WALSTIB - Unified is a strong sire when it comes to two-year olds. This colt gets a boost with Prat in the irons.

Can'tPickAWinner
07-20-2023, 06:20 AM
Handicapped by The Turf Club AnalystsPURCHASE (https://www.equibase.com/premium/eebURLAddToCart.cfm?pid=50292&pfn=evd0720zm.htm&exp=07/22/2023&pds=EVD_-_07/20/2023&var=RACE_DATE=07/20/2023;TRACK_CODE=EVD&SAP=FREEPICS)

https://www.trackmaster.com/images/bar.gif

Evangeline Downs - Race #3 - Post: 6:24pm - Claiming - 8.0 furlongs on the Dirt. Purse: $11,000 Class Rating: 70

Rating: https://www.trackmaster.com/images/golden.jpghttps://www.trackmaster.com/images/golden.jpghttps://www.trackmaster.com/images/golden.jpghttps://www.trackmaster.com/images/golden.jpg

#2 MACEE (ML=6/1)

MACEE - Rider jumped on this filly's back for the first attempt on Jun 8th. Should be in touch with the horse even better in today's contest. The most dangerous animal in racing is the lone speed horse. If they let her get away early they probably won't catch her.

Vulnerable Contenders: #6 HAL'S DREAM (ML=2/1), #1 BOSTON LUCILLE (ML=5/2), #3 GURKHA GOLD (IRE) (ML=3/1),

HAL'S DREAM - I don't normally play a chalk horse that hasn't been to the track in the last three weeks. BOSTON LUCILLE - This racer didn't do much last time finishing fourth. Don't see any chance of any improvement in today's event. GURKHA GOLD (IRE) - You always think this animal has a shot to be victorious, but she comes up short most every time. I'd like to see more hospitable recent showings with morning line of 3/1. Finished fourth in her most recent performance with a run-of-the-mill speed figure. When I look at today's class rating, it would take an improved performance to score after that in this field.

STRAIGHT WAGERS:

Go with #2 MACEE on top if we're getting at least 1/1 odds

EXACTA WAGERS:

None

TRIFECTA WAGERS:

Pass

SUPERFECTA WAGERS:

None

Can'tPickAWinner
Handicapped by The Walker Group at Canterbury ParkPURCHASE (https://www.equibase.com/premium/eebURLAddToCart.cfm?pid=50267&pfn=cby0720zz.htm&exp=07/22/2023&pds=CBY_-_07/20/2023&var=RACE_DATE=07/20/2023;TRACK_CODE=CBY&SAP=FREEPICS)
Always check program numbers.
Odds shown are morning line odds.

Race 6 - Optional Claiming - 6.0f on the Dirt. Purse: $28000 Class Rating: 93

FOR THREE YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE NEVER WON A RACE OTHER THAN MAIDEN, CLAIMING, STARTER, TRIAL OR STATE BRED ALLOWANCE OR WHICH HAVE NEVER WON TWO RACES OR CLAIMING PRICE $16,000. THREE YEAR OLDS, 119 LBS.; OLDER, 124 LBS. NON-WINNERS OF A RACE SINCE JUNE 20 ALLOWED 2 LBS. CLAIMING PRICE $16,000. MINNESOTA BRED CLAIMING PRICE $25,000.

RECOMMENDED CHOICES

https://www.trackmaster.com/images/wg.gif

# 6 ASTRONAUT OSCAR 7/2

# 4 WARRIOR BOSS 4/1

# 5 STORMIN HONGKONG 6/1

I think about ASTRONAUT OSCAR here. He looks competitive in this slot and I expect will be on the lead or close at the midpoint. The Equibase Speed Figure of 81 from his latest affair looks respectable in here. He has decent class ratings, averaging 95, and has to be considered in this contest. WARRIOR BOSS - Shows solid Speed Figures on average overall when measured up against the rest of this group. Always good to invest in a handler with this kind of competitive win percentage - 25 percent - at this distance & surface. STORMIN HONGKONG - Must be considered - I like the figs from the last race.

Can'tPickAWinner
Handicapped by The Turf Club AnalystsPURCHASE (https://www.equibase.com/premium/eebURLAddToCart.cfm?pid=50292&pfn=btp0720zm.htm&exp=07/22/2023&pds=BTP_-_07/20/2023&var=RACE_DATE=07/20/2023;TRACK_CODE=BTP&SAP=FREEPICS)

https://www.trackmaster.com/images/bar.gif

Belterra Park - Race #8 - Post: 4:55pm - Maiden Special - 8.0 furlongs on the Turf. Purse: $16,200 Class Rating: 73

Rating: https://www.trackmaster.com/images/golden.jpghttps://www.trackmaster.com/images/golden.jpghttps://www.trackmaster.com/images/golden.jpghttps://www.trackmaster.com/images/golden.jpg

#7 AMENSET (ML=8/1)

AMENSET - Not much pace in this race other than this steed. This horse has recorded the best recent turf speed figure at the dist/surf. Average class figure is tops in this group. I think that is a big edge for a race on the turf. Ranks number one in the field in earnings per race. A powerful try in this event can increase that total.

Vulnerable Contenders: #2 VOTARY (ML=3/1), #5 HAZANNE (ML=4/1), #6 JACKIE'S LOVE (ML=9/2),

VOTARY - Nice race on Jun 29th at Belterra Park, but the fact that there are no workouts since has to make one a little worried. JACKIE'S LOVE - When examining today's class rating, she will have to record a much better speed rating than last time out to compete in this turf route.

STRAIGHT WAGERS:

#7 AMENSET is going to be the play if we are getting 1/1 or better

EXACTA WAGERS:

7 with [2,13]

TRIFECTA WAGERS:

7 with [2,13] with [2,5,8,13] Total Cost: $6

SUPERFECTA WAGERS:

7 with [2,8,13] with [1,2,5,8,13] with [1,2,5,8,13] Total Cost: $36