PDA

View Full Version : 9-11-08

Mr. IWS
09-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Burns

Personal Favorite = CWS

NORTH CAROLINA

Game: North Carolina vs. Rutgers Game Time: 9/11/2008 7:45:00 PM Prediction: North Carolina Reason: I'm taking the points with NORTH CAROLINA. I respect the Scarlet Knights and consider them to be a solid team. However, I also really believe that the Tar Heels are going to be much improved this season and feel that they're currently flying somewhat under the radar. While Rutgers suffered some key losses, most notably Ray Rice, North Carolina brought back a whopping 18 starters. That was the most in the ACC. Butch Davis returns for his second year as head coach. Looking back to last year and we find that the Tar Heels were actually very competitive on the road under Davis. Early in the season, the Tar Heels covered at East Carolina and Virginia Tech and then they closed out the season by losing their final two road games (at Georgia Tech and NC. State) by just two and four points. As I've already stated, I feel that this team will be much improved from last year's. The Tar Heels are 5-3 ATS the last couple of seasons when listed as underdogs in the +3.5 to +10 range. During the same stretch, the Scarlet Knights were just 1-4 ATS as favorites in the -3.5 to -10 range. That includes an 0-2 SU/ATS mark as home favorites in the -3.5 to -7 range. Note that Fresno State already came in here and upset the Scarlet Knights as a dog in that range. Its true that UNC wasn't overly impressive in defeating McNeese State in its opener. However, I feel that will work in our favor. For starters, it's kept the line generously high. Additionally, it will ensure that the Tar Heels weren't complacent during practice. Senior RT Garrett Reynolds summed up the Tar Heels attitude: "...when we got back in the locker room after the first game, a lot of guys felt it was not even like a win because we know we can play better. We were not happy about it..." Look for a much better effort from the Tar Heels here as they take this game down to the wire with a strong shot at the upset. *Main Event

WHITE SOX

Game: Toronto Blue Jays vs. Chicago White Sox Game Time: 9/11/2008 8:10:00 PM Prediction: Chicago White Sox Reason: I'm playing on CHICAGO. The Jays had been on a real 'emotional high' recently, as they entered yesterday's game having won 10 straight games. That streak came to an end yesterday though, as the White Sox roughed up Jays' ace Roy Halladay. The Jays attempted to rally late but fell short by a run. That only serves to make the loss that much more frustrating. I also expect the fact that it was Halladay on the mound for that loss to have a negative affect on the team's morale heading into tonight's series finale. Halladay is usually so good that the team really comes to expect him to get it done every time out. Note that the last time the Jays lost one of Halladay's starts, (8/9) they responded by losing 4-0 the following day. Marcum gets the call for Toronto and he's had a solid season. However, he's been much better at home than he has been on the road. At home, he's got a 2.81 ERA with opponents batting just .199. On the road, he's got a 4.37 ERA (1.347 WHIP) with opposing hitters batting .259. He'll be opposed by Gavin Floyd, who will have the advantage of starting against the Jays for the first time. Floyd has enjoyed an excellent season and has gone an impressive 9-2 in 15 home starts, while recording a 3.57 ERA and 1.119 WHIP. Opposing hitters batted just .206 and the Sox were a highly profitable 13-2 (+10.7) in those games. Note that Floyd has lasted an average of 6 2/3 innings in his home starts while Marcum has averaged 5 2/3 innings in his road starts. The Jays average 4.4 runs per game on the road while the White Sox average 5.7 at home. Look for yesterday's game to provide the White Sox with some positive momentum while having the opposite effect on the Jays. *Personal Favorite

Mr. IWS
09-11-2008, 03:57 PM
AL

At 7:05pm our selection is on the Milwaukee Brewers over the Philadelphia Phillies.

Mr. IWS
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Dr bob write up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RUTGERS (-6.0) 27 North Carolina 24
04:45 PM Pacific Time Thursday, Sep-11 - Stats Matchup
Rutgers gave up some big plays in their 7-24 home upset loss to Fresno State two weeks ago and the Scarlet Knights were out-gained 5.1 yards per play to 6.7 yppl by the Bulldogs. It’s pretty obvious that run defense is still a major problem for the Knights, who allowed 5.2 yards per rushing play last season (against teams that would average 4.7 yprp against an average team) and gave up 5.9 yprp to a good rushing Fresno State team in week 1. Rutgers also gave up 7.8 yards per pass play to the Bulldogs, but the 46% completions they allowed is more indicative of their great pass defense since they are not likely to continue to allow 19.6 yards per completion as they did in that game (they allowed the national average of 12.0 ypc last season). Rutgers only yielded 4.8 yards per pass play last season (against teams that would average 6.1 yppp) and they should be at least as good this season with 8 defensive starters returning, including 3 of 4 starting defensive backs. North Carolina is not likely to take full advantage of Rutgers’ porous run defense given their poor rushing game (I project a modest 4.6 yprp for UNC in this game) and the Scarlet Knights are likely to limit talented Tarheels quarterback T.J. Yates, who I rate at 0.5 yppp better than average (which is not as good as a Rutgers’ pass defense that I rate at 1.5 yppp better than average). The match-up favors Rutgers when they have the ball too, as North Carolina’s defensive strength is stopping the run while the Scarlet Knights are much better throwing the ball with veteran Mike Teel than they are running it now that Ray Rice is in the NFL. Rutgers’ new lead back Kordell Young has averaged only 4.0 ypr on his 73 career carries (against teams that would allow 4.9 ypr to an average back) and managed just 3.6 ypr on 26 carries against a mediocre Fresno State run defense. Teel is a bomber that has two major weapons in Kenny Britt (1232 receiving yards last season at 19.9 ypc) and Tiquan Underwood (1100 yards at 16.9 ypc) and Teel averaged a very impressive 8.7 yppp last season (against teams that would allow 6.3 yppp to an average QB). Teel wasn’t at his best (6.5 yppp) against a good Fresno pass defense, but North Carolina is just average in pass defense and the Heels allowed 7.5 yppp in their opener to McNeese State quarterbacks Fourroux and Fontenot. That’s actually not as bad as it appears considering McNeese would have averaged 7.3 yppp last season against an average Division 1A defense and they’re probably going to post better numbers this season. Teel should post good passing numbers in this game (with 1 or 2 interceptions, as he’s interception prone) and my math favors Rutgers by 7 ½ points. Despite the line value in favor of the Knights I’ll be leaning with North Carolina a bit on the basis of a negative 7-36 ATS game 2 situation that applies to Rutgers and a 20-5 ATS game 2 situation that applies to North Carolina.

Mr. IWS
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Ness Free Play:

REASON FOR PICK: The Brewers and Phillies open a very important four-game series tonight in Philadelphia. The Brewers blew a second-half lead in the NL Central last year (Cubs took the title), while the Phillies were the beneficiaries of the Mets' late collapse in taking the NL East. The Brewers enter this series 4 1/2 games behind the Cubs and the Phillies enter 3 1/2 games behind the Mets but also of importance is that the Brewers lead the Philles (and Astros) by four games in the wild card race. Ben Sheets (13-7, 2.82 ERA) gets the start for Milwaukee, while the ageless Jamie Moyer (13-7, 3.64 ERA) starts for Philadelphia. The Brewers added CC Sabathia (from Cleveland) right before the break and he and Sheets were expected to be the one-two punch at the top of the rotation which would solidify Milwaukee as a playoff team. Sabathia's been spectacular, going 9-0 with a 1.59 ERA in 13 starts (Brewers are 12-1). However, Sheets did not do his part right away. In his first eight starts (after Sabathia's acquisition), Sheets went 1-5 with a 3.53 ERA (team was 3-5). That being said, Sheets has been terrific in his last three starts, allowing 12 hits and not a single run over 20 innings. He can hardly be blamed for Milwaukee failing to win one of the three. The 45-year-old Moyer has always been a "tough cookie" and this year is no different. However, the Brewers are 31-18 vs left-handers this year, averaging 5.2 RPG. That impressive record is somewhat tainted by the fact the Brewers are 0-4 vs lefties in September but I'm giving the team credit for its season-long efforts vs lefties and I'm also riding the 'hot' pitching of Sheet. Take the Brewers.

Mr. IWS
09-11-2008, 03:59 PM
LANG:

20 Dime Southern Cal (Advanced Release)

5 Dime Rutgers

FREE - UNC/Rutgers Under

Mr. IWS
09-11-2008, 04:00 PM
wayne root "upset club"

NORTH CAROILNA +6.....#1 rated play.........chairman on his website

Mr. IWS
09-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Wayne Root

Chairman- Tar Heels
Millionaire- Phillies
Billionaire- Cubs

Mr. IWS
09-11-2008, 05:56 PM
PRIVATE PLAYERS
2* rutgers and over

Mr. IWS
09-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Larry Ness

I've seen it asked," has Greg Schiano taken this Rutgers program as far as he can?" Schiano enters his eighth season as the head coach of the Scarlet Knights and it's impossible to ignore his accomplishments. Rutgers has played football longer than all but one college program in the country but up until Schiano's arrival in 2001, the school had played in just ONE bowl game (1978's Garden State Bowl). One can understand while the school held an "inferiority complex," as even the school's 11-0 team in 1976 went uninvited during that bowl season. Schiano did not start quickly in New Brunswick but the last three years ('05-'07), he's led the Scarlet Knights to a 26-12 mark and three straight bowl appearances, winning the last two bowl games by scores of 37-10 and 52-30. Rutgers opened '08 by losing at home to an excellent Fresno State team, 24-7. The Scarlet Knights moved the ball well for most of the game (especially in the first half, owning a 202-106 yardage edge) but weren't able to "finish off" their drives. QB Teel was big winner in high school and while he's not "NFL material," he's a solid college QB, who has two terrific WRs in Underwood (65 catches / 7 TDs in '07) and Britt (62 catches / 8 TDs in '07). Both caught six passes vs FSU but neither made any "big plays." Rutgers returns 15 starters but can't replace RB Ray Rice. The year before Rice entered Rutgers, the Scarlet Knights averaged 83.0 YPG on the ground (2.5 YPC). Rice topped 1,000 yards as a freshman in '05, ran for 1,794 yards in '06 and last year ran for 2,012 yards. Rutgers averaged 180.0 YPG on the ground these last three years but Rice left early. Sophomore RB Kordell Young had 96 yards rushing against FSU and by year's end, he won't be a Ray Rice but don't be surprised if he's a 1,000-yard rusher. North Carolina opened its second year under head coach Butch Davis on August 30 with a home game vs McNeese State. While the Tar Heels won 35-27 and senior WR Tate had 397 all-purpose yards, it was far from an impressive performance. Carolina blew a 14-0 lead and actually found itself 20-14 down in the third quarter, before rallying to win. TJ Yates showed promise last year at QB for NC (59.7% / 2.655 yards / 14 TDs and 18 INTs) and in Tate and Nicks (74 catches LY) he has WRs the quality of Underwood and Britt, but the Tar Heels can't expect WR Tate to gain 106 yards rushing (as he did vs McNeese St), every week. The Tar Heels averaged a pathetic 99.0 YPG on the ground LY (3.0 YPC) and I'm not sure the team's running game will be much better this year. The Tar Heels 'D' allowed McNeese St nearly 400 yards (391) and McNeese St had 22 FDs to NC's 13. Rutgers may have opened the '08 year with a loss but the Scarlet Knights visit Navy next (are 6-1 this decade vs the Midshipmen) and then host Morgan St, so with a win here, a 3-1 start is very possible. As for NC, the Tar Heels were 0-6 on the road in '07 and haven't won a road game outside the state of North Carolina since 2002 (0-20!).

Prime Time Delight 15* Rutgers.