PDA

View Full Version : SPOOKY EXPRESS'S COLLEGE FOOTBALL OCTOBER KICK OFF

Spooky
09-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Wrapping up a college football from this past weekend

13) Halftime score: Alabama 31, Georgia 0. I'm thinking Nick Saban is the Rick Pitino of college football- a guy meant to coach in college, not the pros. When was last time Georgia was down 31 at home?

12) Ole Miss 31, Florida 30, on same day as Texas 52, Arkansas 10-- bad day to be a Razorback. Great day to be Houston Nutt.

11) What a set of noon games Saturday; Maryland-North Carolina- Northwestern-Ole Miss all pull out upset wins with late heroics, all on the road. Even Syracuse was winning for a while.

10) Orangemen are now 2-20 in their last 22 Big East games.

9) Something you don't see every day; Michigan State and Indiana both had a safety in Saturday's game; Spartans on a holding call in the end zone (which nullified a 98-yard Indiana TD) and Hoosiers on a blocked punt, which a Michigan State player recovered in end zone.

8) Washington State has played two Pac-10 home games, losing both by a combined score of 129-17. Coogs have a huge rebuilding job in the next couple of years. Look at a map, then circle the ten schools in the Pac-10. Pullman, Washington is a hard place to win.

7) Wisconsin led 19-0 at the half in Ann Arbor Saturday, in the first game they were ever favored to win in The Big House. Badgers then went out and lost 27-25, as a defensive TD put Wolverines ahead.

6) Houston outgained East Carolina 621-275 in Greenville, looking awesome in an easy 41-24 win. Hard to believe they lost their three games before yesterday-- how did Colorado State beat them?

5) Colorado State lost 42-7 at Cal; Golden Bears had TDs on a punt return, a blocked punt and an interception, so the score might be a little misleading, as far as Cal's offense is concerned.

4) Have never seen team struggle with handoffs the way Tennessee is; they lost a fumble on the Florida 3 last week, then lost a fumble on their own 3 yesterday, losing a game at Auburn- they were just 8-24 passing for 67 yards. Hard to break in eight new assistant coaches and a new quarterback in the same season.

3) Ty Willingham can pack his bags in Seattle; Stanford beat Huskies 35-28, making Washington 0-4, and star QB Locker broke his right thumb, so it'll be another dismal season for the Huskies. I'll say this; the next coach at Washington is set up for success-- they have talent but it hasn't matured yet. Willingham won't be there when it does.

2) If there was a national title game Monday night, it would have to be Oklahoma-Alabama. They've both been dominant.

1) Northwestern is 5-0; Vanderbilt has a shot at winning SEC East. Stanford is 3-2, Duke is 3-1- what the hell is going on out there?

Spooky
09-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Some more College football thoughts in memory Paul Newman,
one of the two coolest guys ever. He and Steve McQueen were the male ideal throughout their lives, professional and personal. They taught us it's not about having a drink or a cigar or driving a hot car or chatting up a beautiful woman. It's about doing it in style.

The great Newman passed away Friday with a body of work that will be unmatched: Hud, The Hustler, Butch Cassidy and The Sun Kid, Absence of Malice, The Color of Money, just to name a few. Add Cool Hand Luke to your movie collection immediately.
This is an anti-hero, Jack, showing grace, style and guts
under pressure.

Newman will be remembered not only as an action icon but also for his charity work, racing and making a heck of a salad dressing later in life.

SOME MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL TIDBITS

• Gutty Little Tar Heels: Down to backup quarterbacks, down 17-7 at Miami and just plain down after blowing a two-touchdown lead against Virginia Tech last week, North Carolina beat the Canes 28-24. Other than that it wasn't a
good day for the Carolinas. Wake Forest, East Carolina and Clemson all lost to unranked teams.

• Duke broke a 25-game ACC losing streak with a 31-3 victory over Virginia. Can't remember where this came from but
the headline was perfect: Duke and North Carolina win. Is it basketball season?

• Two conferences without an undefeated team: ACC and Pac-10. Elsewhere, there are 13 undefeated teams among the six
major conferences, five of them are in the Big 12 (Missouri, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State). Four of
those are in one division, Big 12 South.

• Bad timing: East Carolina announced Saturday that coach Skip Holtz had received an extension through 2013 hours
before the former BCS busters got blown out at home by Houston.

• After watching Connecticut's Donald Brown on two consecutive Fridays, it's obvious this guy is the real deal. The nation's leading rusher has amazing feet and cutting ability. Playing in the East in the Big East and being on
national television several times, I can see Brown getting a Heisman invite if he keeps it up.

• If Tennessee and Clemson do make moves on their coaches, they're going to be expensive ones. It could cost Tennessee upwards of $6 million to get rid of Phil Fulmer, not to mention the cost of hiring a new staff. Clemson
would have to start by scratching a check for $4 million. That's the amount of Tommy Bowden's buyout. Both coaches got raises/extensions in the offseason. Their teams are a combined 4-5.

• If Notre Dame keeps this up they're going to get ranked and go to a BCS bowl while Jimmy Clausen gets some Heisman mention, as far-fetched as that sounds. ND, 3-1, matched its 2007 victory total with a 38-21 victory over Purdue. And my Notre Dame OVER futures are looking good.

Clausen seems to be turning some kind of corner after completing 20 of 35 for 275 yards and three touchdowns.

"I know I'm capable of doing stuff like that," Clausen said. "It was just a matter of time and practice preparation to get to this point."

• Rice's Chase Clement hooked up three more times with receiver Jarrett Dillard setting an NCAA record for career scoring passes between teammates
(41). North Texas (0-4) was the victim, 77-20.

Let the debate begin about the worst I-A team. Washington State (1-4 after a 63-14 loss to Oregon) or North Texas.

• Northwestern is 5-0 for the first time in 46 years after beating Iowa 22-17.

• Utah kicker Louie Sakoda chipped in 13 points during the Utes' 37-21 victory over Weber State becoming the school's all-time leading scorer. Funny, all along I thought it was Andre Miller.

• Penn State's Derrick Williams scored touchdowns rushing, catching and returning against Illinois.

• Weird play of the day: Indiana quarterback Ben Chappell threw an apparent 97-yard touchdown pass to Terrance Turner against Michigan State. Instead, it was called back. Indiana was called for holding in the end zone and the
Spartans were awarded a safety.

• Did anyone else notice that Dolphin Stadium was half full, at best, for Miami's game against North Carolina? The announced atten was 35,830.

• Navy beat its first ranked team in 23 years, 24-17 over Wake Forest.

Spooky
09-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Are you fucking kidding me?
We have the Sun Belt Favorite rolling into Murfeesboro and they are an underdog getting a field goal. Why? Because they got blasted by Texas as a 4 touchdown underdog. Because they go to Michigan State and lose albeit cover the game in a rainstorm? Then head right back on the road to Minnesota who is improved and throw in a dud?
Thats why?

Well simple fact and I thank my Rock in Florida for this information.
Rusty Smith has had a sore arm this past few weeks.
You figure FAU would put up 40 points a game this year and give up 38. lol
But this week he had a great practice and feels great.

That and the fact that Howie knows this is a conference game and will kick some ass.

So for a change, giving my thoughts on my selection for tonight.
Call me a homer, call me what you want.

I am heading into the city today taking my wife and son to a Broadway Show for his 17th birthday. He likes Broadway better than football.
What can I say?

But when the show is over, so will the game.

HEADLINE IN TOMORROWS PAPER!
OWLS ATTACK BLUE RAIDERS AND PUMMEL THEM INTO SUBMISSION!!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Florida Atlantic at Middle Tennessee State
[ESPN2 | 8 PM ET]

FLORIDA ATLANTIC +3 (7 UNITS)

Money Line, whatever. They win this outright.
If I am wrong then my name aint Ozzie.

FAU: After getting hammered by Texas, Michigan State and Minnesota, who are a combined 12-2, Florida Atlantic licks its wounds and focuses its attention on winning the Sun Belt Conference title. The normally high-powered Owls offense will look to get back on track after being held to a total of just three points by Michigan State and Minnesota. Through four games, junior quarterback Rusty Smith has thrown more interceptions (five) than touchdowns (four). The Owls rush defense has been miserable, allowing 213.2 yards per game. As a result, FAU’s opponents have dominated time of possession, controlling the ball for 35:22, compared to 24:35 for the Owls.

Florida Atlantic is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games following a bye week.
Florida Atlantic is 7-2 ATS in its last 9 conference games.

Key Injuries - C Nick Paris (concussion) is questionable.

MTSU (-3): After getting hammered by in-state rival Kentucky in its opener, Louisville has bounced back to win two straight games. The Cardinals have the revenge factor going for them in this one as UConn defeated Louisville 21-17 last year. One of the UConn scores was on a punt return which a fair catch appeared to be called. As the Louisville return team relaxed, Larry Taylor ran for a touchdown. Quarterback Hunter Cantwell looked lost against Kentucky but has been red-hot since. The Louisville defense has played much better under new DC Ron English, allowing a measly 42 yards per game on the ground.

Middle Tennessee State is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games following a bye week.
Middle Tennessee State is 0-4 ATS in its last 4 conference games.

Key Injuries - RG Evon Lettsome (ankle) is OUT.

Spooky
09-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Daily Sports Roundup for Tuesday, September 30

The Minnesota Twins will be looking to punch their ticket to the postseason on Tuesday night by beating the Chicago White Sox.

Here's a look in your Daily Sports Roundup.

The Gridiron Spotlight

You won't want to shine the spotlight too brightly on Tuesday's college football matchup, as it's an underwhelming affair between 1-3 Florida Atlantic and 1-3 Middle Tennessee. The Owls managed to beat UAB a few weeks ago, but they couldn't get much going against any of Texas, Michigan State, or Minnesota. The Blue Raiders' lone win came against Maryland, and they've been beaten by Troy, Kentucky, and Arkansas State.

When these Sun Belt teams met last season Florida Atlantic came away with a 27-14 home win as 2.5-point favorites. Middle Tennessee had won the previous two meetings between these teams by identical scores of 35-14 (one at home, one on the road), covering the spread twice. The Blue Raiders opened as 1.5-point favorites for Tuesday.

I have a major selection on this game and posted it above.

Other Notable Events

The White Sox managed to beat the Tigers in their makeup game on Monday, so now they'll battle the Twins in a one-game playoff for first place in the AL Central and MLB's final postseason berth on Tuesday. The winner of this game will move on to face the Tampa Bay Rays in the ALDS, with that series getting underway Thursday afternoon.

The Twins will send Nick Blackburn (11-10, 4.15 ERA) to the mound on Tuesday, and the White Sox will counter with John Danks (11-9, 3.47 ERA). Righthander Blackburn beat the White Sox in his last outing, surrendering just two earned runs on eight hits over five innings. Lefthander Danks wasn't as sharp in his last start, as he was knocked around for seven earned runs on seven hits over four innings of work by the Indians.

The Rest of the Schedule

It's another slow day for sports on Tuesday, so your only other options are preseason hockey or whatever football games you have saved on your TiVo from the weekend.

News from the Wire

Red Sox pitcher Josh Beckett has a strained oblique, and his next start won't come any earlier than Game 3 of the ALDS against the Angels . . . Angels pitcher Joe Saunders seemed to be recovered from his kidney stone on Sunday - he tossed six scoreless innings in a win versus the Rangers . . . the Ducks have finally brought veteran winger Teemu Selanne back into the fold, signing him to a two-year contract over the weekend.

A Peek at the Future

The opening game of three baseball divisional playoff series are on the schedule for Wednesday, with Milwaukee at Philadelphia, the Dodgers at the Cubs, and Boston at the Angels. The league championship series are slated to get underway on October 9 and 10, while the first game of the World Series will be October 22 . . . the WNBA Finals get underway on Wednesday night in San Antonio and continue through the weekend

Mr. IWS
09-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Good info bro. Question. Doesnt your kid go to FAU?

Spooky
09-30-2008, 11:44 AM
TO ALL MY FRIENDS HERE, I HOPE THIS YEAR
IS FILLED WITH JOY AND BLESSINGS!!

L'shannah Tovah!

For anyone that may be interested. It is the year 5769.
It began Monday Night at sundown.

Ten Most Important Things to Know about Rosh Hashanah are:

Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year.

Rosh Hashanah is a Day of Judgement.

Selichot prayers asking for forgiveness are recited during Elul and on Rosh Hashanah.

Rosh Hashanah liturgy focuses on God as King.

Jews are commanded to hear the shofar on Rosh Hashanah.

The shofar blasts remind us that God is King.

A festive meal, with symbolic food, is eaten on Rosh Hashanah.

Shana Tova is a popular Rosh Hashanah greeting.

Tashlich is the symbolic casting off of sins on Rosh Hashanah.

Ten Days of Repentance begin on Rosh Hashanah and end on Yom Kippur.

Spooky
09-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Good info bro. Question. Doesnt your kid go to FAU?

Yes Indeed.
Thats why I wrote, call me a homer.
He parties with the Punter quite a bit and this being his 5th year (grad school at this point, not Van Wilder) he knows a few people as do I.

Wish me luck!!