PDA

View Full Version : 11-1-08

Mr. IWS
11-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Dr. Bob CFB
4 Best Bets this week and 4 Strong Opinions (pay attention to the line constraints).
Rotation #330 Mississippi (-6 1/2) 2-Stars at -7 or less only. Strong Opinion from -7 1/2 to -9 points.
Rotation #360 Texas Tech (+3 1/2) 3-Stars at +3 or more, 2-Stars down to +1.
Rotation #365 Clemson (+4) 2-Stars at +3 or more, 3-Stars at +6 or more.
Rotation #380 LSU (-25) 3-Stars at -26 or less, 2-Stars up to -28.
Strong Opinion - Rotation #350 USC (-44 1/2) Strong Opinion at -45 or less.
Strong Opinion - Rotation #364 Michigan State (-4 1/2) Strong Opinion at -6 or less, 2-Star Best Bet at -3 or less.
Strong Opinion - Rotation #378 Georgia Tech (-2 1/2) Strong Opinion at -3 or less. 2-Star Best Bet at -1 or better.
Strong Opinion - Rotation #381 TCU (-14) Strong Opinion at -14 or less.
Thursday Opinion - Rotation #306 Cincinnati (+2 1/2) Opinion. Strong Opinion at +3 or more.
3 Star Selection
***TEXAS TECH 37 Texas (-3.5) 30
05:00 PM Pacific, 01-Nov-08
If Texas is going to lose this is most likely the game that will trip them up. Not only is Texas in a very negative situation but Texas Tech is every bit as good as the Longhorns are. Texas has been great offensively, averaging 6.8 yards per play against teams that would allow 5.5 yppl to an average team and I actually rate the Longhorns’ attack at 1.6 yppl better than average with Chris Ogbonnaya at running back the last 4 games, as Ogbonnaya is much better than Vondrell McGee or Cody Johnson were when they were getting the bulk of the carries. Texas Tech’s offense is even better, as the Red Raiders have averaged 7.6 yppl with Graham Harrell under center while facing teams that would combine to allow 5.8 yppl to an average team (1.8 yppl better than average). The Texas defense has allowed 5.3 yppl this season to teams that would combine to average 5.9 yppl against an average team while Texas Tech has yielded 5.0 yppl to a schedule of teams that would average 5.7 yppl against an average team, so the Red Raiders also have a slight edge defensively in this game. Both teams are about the same in special teams and Texas Tech has a slight edge in projected turnovers and my math model calls for them to win this game straight up. What I like about this match-up for Texas Tech is their quick hitting pass attack against a vulnerable Texas secondary. Texas is very strong along the defensive line, but their ability to defend the run and to rush the passer (3.5 sacks per game) are negated by the fact that Texas Tech doesn’t run much and Harrell gets rid of the ball so quickly that the opposing pass rush is simply not a factor. Harrell has been sacked only 3 times on 363 pass plays this season and a good pass rushing Nevada team averaging 3.3 sacks per game didn’t touch Harrell. Texas has a good pass defense rating of 1.1 yards per pass play better than average because they get so many sacks, but their secondary has allowed 6.9 yards per pass attempt, which isn’t much better than average. Oklahoma averaged 8.7 yppp and Missouri’s Chase Daniel averaged 7.2 yppp despite having a bad day. Graham Harrell and the Red Raiders’ attack is ideally suited to move the ball against the Longhorns, whose defensive strength along the defensive line will be minimized. Harrell threw for 466 yards on 48 passes last season in a 43-59 loss at Texas and the Longhorns aren’t as likely to score nearly as many points and a much improved Red Raiders’ defense with this game being played in Lubbock, where Tech is at their best. In addition to the line value, the Red Raiders apply to a number of very strong situations – the best of which is a 34-3 ATS subset of a 138-56-3 ATS home momentum situation. Texas, meanwhile, applies to a very negative 5-40 ATS situation that plays against unbeaten teams. Texas is also just 5-12-1 ATS under coach Mack Brown as a road favorite against a team with a winning record. I’ll take Texas Tech in a 3-Star Best Bet at +3 points or more and for 2-Stars from +2 ½ to +1. I’ll also lean with the Under in this game.
3 Star Selection
***LSU (-25.0) 45 Tulane 10
LSU may be right in the middle of the conference season, but this will not be a letdown game for the Tigers – especially after just getting whipped by Georgia last Saturday. Les Miles rarely takes it easy on non-conference opponents and his teams have a huge talent edge in these games that he exploits. The Tigers are 10-1 ATS under Miles against non-conference opponents when not favored by more than 40 points and just 8-20-3 ATS in SEC games, so this is exactly the type of game that LSU has covered under Miles. LSU is also 5-1-1 ATS after a loss under Miles and just 11-22-2 ATS after a win, so expect the Green Wave to pay for last week’s loss to Georgia. Miles has actually been good as a big favorite going back to his days coaching at Oklahoma State and he is 10-0 ATS in his career as a favorite of 14 points or more when not coming off a win (8-0 ATS after a loss and 2-0 ATS in game 1). Aside from the team trends, LSU also has a huge advantage on the field against a Tulane team that started the season in pretty good shape but have been hit hard by injuries to key players in recent weeks. Tulane’s big play receiver Jeremy Williams was injured against Army a few weeks ago and the pass attack has struggled since. Williams had amassed 437 receiving yards on 42 balls thrown to him (10.4 yards per attempt) while the rest of Tulane’s passes have averaged 6.3 ypa. Williams’ injury left RB Andre Anderson as the Waves’ only offensive weapon (864 yards at 5.0 ypr), but Anderson was injured early last week against Rice and he’s out indefinitely. Tulane only ran for 67 yards at 2.8 yards per rushing play against a horrible Rice defense last week and they won’t have any success running against LSU’s front line. LSU’s defense has been only 0.2 yards per play better than average this season and they were lit up by the two potent offensive units that they faced, allowing 7.7 yppl to Florida and 7.8 yppl to Georgia last week. However, the Tigers have allowed just 4.3 yppl in their other 5 games (to teams that would average 4.9 yppl against an average team) and I don’t expect a wounded Tulane offense, that I rate at 0.7 yppl worse than average heading into this game, to do much damage. LSU’s offense has moved the ball very well since Jarrett Lee took over at quarterback and the Tigers are 1.4 yppl better than average offensively. That unit should score plenty of points against a Tulane defense that started the season by allowing just 173 yards to Alabama, but have gotten steadily worse as the season has progressed. The Green Wave have allowed 7.0 yppl, 6.9 yppl, and 6.9 yppl in their last 3 games to Army, UTEP, and Rice and I don’t see them stopping a determined LSU squad today. This one sets up for another blowout win over a non-conference opponent for Les Miles’ team and I’ll take LSU in a 3-Star Best Bet at -26 points or less and for 2-Stars from -26 ½ to -28 points.
2 Star Selection
**MISSISSIPPI (-6.5) 28 Auburn 14
09:30 AM Pacific, 01-Nov-08
Auburn has dropped 7 consecutive games to the point spread and they are still overrated. The Tigers’ offense is horrible (4.3 yards per play against teams that would allow 5.5 yppl to an average team) and they’ve averaged just 3.6 yppl in 2 games since changing offensive coordinators. Kodi Burns is the new signal caller for the Tigers, and he may prove to be an upgrade because of his running (220 yards at 4.7 yards per rushing play) despite the fact that his passing numbers are a bit worse than former starter Chris Todd. Auburn’s defense started out the season among the best in the nation, but that unit has struggled in conference play and has allowed 5.8 yppl or more in 3 of their last 6 games. Injuries have played a part in the recent poor play and I do expect the Tigers to start to get better defensively, but they haven’t proven that they can defend an above average attack. Auburn has dominated bad offensive teams this season, but they gave up 6.1 yppl to LSU, 5.8 yppl to Arkansas, and 7.9 yppl to West Virginia last week. Overall the Tigers have been 0.7 yppl better than average defensively, but Ole’ Miss is a very good offensive team that has averaged 5.9 yppl (against teams that would allow 5.0 yppl to an average attack) and the Rebels have performed well against good defensive teams, averaging 5.4 yppl or more against Florida, Alabama, and South Carolina, who are all better defensively than Auburn is. Mississippi’s offense has been 0.2 yppl better than Auburn’s defense this season and the Rebels have a huge edge with their defense (0.3 yppl better than average) going up against a Tigers’ offense that is 1.2 yppl worse than average. Both quarterbacks are a bit interception prone, but Mississippi is a bit more likely to turn the ball over because they’ll likely throw the ball more. Overall, my math model favors Ole’ Miss by 14 ½ points in this game and I’ll take Mississippi in a 2-Star Best Bet at -7 points or less.
2 Star Selection
**Clemson 23 BOSTON COLLEGE (-4.0) 19
12:30 PM Pacific, 01-Nov-08
Clemson’s week off has reportedly revived the Tigers, as the players say they are having fun in practice again under new coach Dabo Swinney and are eager to get back to the field to prove themselves after 3 heartbreaking losses. The Tigers lost all 3 of those games by 5 points or less to good teams Maryland, Wake Forest, and Georgia Tech despite being -3, -1, and -4 in turnover margin in those contests. In other words, the Tigers’ woes are more bad luck than bad play, and averaging -2.0 in turnover margin in their 5 games against Division 1A opposition is not something that is likely to continue. The week off also allowed a couple of key players to get healthy enough to play this week, including quarterback Cullen Harper and star running back C.J. Spiller, whose 6.5 ypr average (6.3 ypr in his career on 322 rushes) was sorely missed the last two games. Clemson’s offense has been just average in their 5 D-1A games, averaging 5.1 yppl against teams that would allow 5.1 yppl to an average team, and that attack is 0.1 yppl better than average with Spiller back to join with James Davis (5.3 ypr) in the backfield. Boston College is very good defensively, allowing 4.4 yppl to 6 Division 1A opponents that would combine to average 5.1 yppl against an average team, so the Eagles have a 0.6 yppl advantage over Clemson’s offense – although they aren’t quite as good without top LB Brian Toal and perhaps S Wes Davis, who missed last week’s game. However, Clemson’s rugged defense (4.7 yppl allowed to teams that would average 5.7 yppl against an average team) has a 1.4 yppl advantage over a bad BC attack that has averaged only 5.0 yppl against teams that would allow 5.4 yppl to an average team. Turnover margin shouldn’t be an issue in this game for Clemson given that Harper’s 8 interceptions on 182 passes (4.4%) is considerably better than the 12 picks that the Eagles’ Chris Crane has thrown on 216 attempts (5.6%). Clemson also has better special teams and the Tigers should be favored in this game according to my math model, which successfully picked against Boston College last week with North Carolina. I’ll take Clemson in a 2-Star Best Bet at +3 points or more (at -1.15 odds or better) and for 3-Stars at +6 points or more.
Thursday Opinion
CINCINNATI 26 S. Florida (-2.5) 23
04:45 PM Pacific, 30-Oct-08
Both of these teams are coming off upset losses but Cincinnati’s credibility was hurt more by losing 16-40 at U Conn, which looks much worse than USF’s 20-24 loss at Louisville. Cincy’s loss, however, was more about being -6 in turnovers in that game than being dominated by Connecticut, as the Bearcats were only out-gained 4.4 yppl to 4.8 yppl and had to play ½ the game with their 3rd string quarterback. That will be the case again here, as 2nd string QB Tony Pike will not play after losing feeling in his broken non-throwing arm, which kept him out the previous month. Chazz Anderson started 2 games in place of Pike and original starter Grutza, and his numbers aren’t nearly as good – averaging just 5.3 yards per pass play despite facing teams that would combine to allow 7.1 yppp to an average quarterback. The Bearcats are 0.8 yards per play worse than average offensively with Anderson at quarterback, but they have a good defense (0.6 yppl better than average) and very good special teams – so they are still capable of beating an overrated South Florida team that is just 0.3 yppl better than average offensively and 0.1 yppl worse than average on defense (5.0 yppl allowed to teams that would average 5.1 yppl against an average team). The Bulls simply aren’t good defensively, despite their reputation of being a good defensive team. All-American George Selvie isn’t putting up the ridiculous numbers he posted last season, although he does have 5 sacks and 5 other tackles for loss, and South Florida sorely misses last year’s two great cornerbacks, who are both in the NFL this season. South Florida also has a few injuries on the defensive side of the ball, as starters SS Carlton Williams and DL Terrell McClain are both listed as questionable. I make this game a pick with Anderson at quarterback for Cincinnati and the Bearcats apply to a solid 104-48-2 ATS bounce-back situation. South Florida doesn’t apply to any general situations, but the Bulls are 16-9 ATS after a loss, which dampens my enthusiasm a bit. I'd consider Cincinnati a Strong Opinion at +3 or more.
Strong Opinion
MICHIGAN ST. (-4.5) 30 Wisconsin 20
09:00 AM Pacific, 01-Nov-08
Wisconsin had been 0-4 straight up and 0-4 ATS in Big 10 play before upsetting Illinois last week, but that wins sets up the Badgers in a very negative 11-49-2 ATS subset of a 47-106-2 ATS road letdown situation. Unfortunately, my math model isn’t that impressed with Michigan State and the math favors the Spartans by just 3 points. The situation more than makes up for the lack of line value, but I will resist making the Spartans a Best Bet unless the line goes down to 3 points. I’ll consider Michigan State a Strong Opinion at -6 points or less and I’d take Michigan State in a 2-Star Best Bet at -3 points or less (-1.15 odds or better).
Strong Opinion
GEORGIA TECH (-2.5) 27 Florida St. 19
12:30 PM Pacific, 01-Nov-08
Georgia Tech let me down last week with an upset loss to Virginia, but that was the first time all season that the underrated Yellow Jackets have not covered the spread and they are likely to get back on the right side of the ledger today. Florida State is a decent team, averaging 4.9 yards per play on offense and allowing 4.6 yppl on defense in 5 games against Division 1A competition that would combine to be out-gained 4.8 yppl to 5.2 yppl by an average team. In other words, the Seminoles are about an average team from the line of scrimmage and just a bit better than average overall after adding in special teams. Georgia Tech, meanwhile, has averaged 5.8 yppl and allowed just 4.4 yppl to a schedule of 6 Division 1A teams that would combine averaging 5.2 yppl and allow 5.3 yppl to an average team. Georgia Tech has been much better than average on both sides of the ball and they should be favored by more than a touchdown in this game. My math model gives the Yellow Jackets a 62% chance of covering at -2 points based solely on the math, but they unfortunately apply to a negative 46-102-2 ATS situation that will keep me from making this game a Best Bet. That situation has about a 56% of covering at a fair line, which gives the Yellow Jackets a solid 56% chance of covering when I combine the math with the negative situation. I’ll consider Georgia Tech a Strong Opinion at -3 points or less and I’d take Georgia Tech in a 2-Star Best Bet at -1 or better.
Strong Opinion
USC (-44.5) 54 Washington 3
03:30 PM Pacific, 01-Nov-08
USC was in a tough spot last week in Arizona, but they dominated that game against a good Wildcats squad more than the 17-10 final score indicates. The Trojans out-gained Arizona 368 yards at 4.8 yards per play to 188 yards at 3.1 yppl and should have won by more than 7 points. USC is not in a negative situation this week and the Trojans can name the score against a horrible Washington team that is winless this season and just 1-6 ATS. The Huskies are a bit improved offensively since Ronnie Fouch took over the quarterbacking after Jake Locker was injured, as Fouch is a much better passer. However, Washington still rates at 0.5 yppl worse than average offensively and they don’t stand much of a chance against a dominating USC stop unit that’s yielded just 3.5 yppl and 8 points per game to a schedule of teams that would combine to average 5.7 yppl and 29 points against an average defensive team. USC has an even bigger advantage when they have the ball, as the Trojans’ offense is 1.8 yppl better than average (6.7 yppl against teams that would allow 5.0 yppl to an average team) while Washington’s young defensive unit is 1.2 yppl worse than average (7.3 yppl allowed to teams that would average 6.1 yppl). My math model favors USC by 50 ½ points and the Trojans are 31-10 ATS under coach Pete Carroll from game 8 on (3-1 ATS as a favorite of more than 28 points), so the Trojans should begin to play even better. USC’s backups are all top recruits too, so there is little drop-off when the subs enter the game - so the margin should continue to rise until the final gun. I’ll consider USC a Strong Opinion at -45 points or less and I’d take USC as a 2-Star Best Bet at -42 points or less.
Strong Opinion
TCU (-14.0) 35 UNLV 16
UNLV is coming off a 35-42 loss as a 23 ½ point dog against an overrated BYU squad and they may not have much left for a TCU team with a dominating defense and a surging offense. UNLV is a good offensive team, averaging 5.8 yards per play against teams that would combine to allow 5.4 yppl to an average team, but they aren’t good enough to move the ball with any consistency against a great TCU defense that has yielded just 3.8 yppl and 10.4 points per game to a schedule of teams that would combine to average 5.4 yppl and 24.8 points against an average defensive unit. TCU allowed 35 points to Oklahoma’s potent attack (the fewest points Oklahoma has scored this season), they gave up 14 points to a good Stanford offense and they’ve allowed 7 points or fewer in their other 7 games, including giving up just 4.2 yppl to BYU. Only Oklahoma has been able to average more than 4.2 yppl against the Frogs, so UNLV has their work cut out for them today. The Rebels aren’t likely to score more than 14 points and their horrible defense (6.7 yppl allowed to teams that would average 5.5 yppl against an average team) will have a tough time keeping TCU below 30 points in this game. The Horned Frogs were without starting quarterback Andy Dalton for a couple of games, but Dalton returned for the 32-7 win over BYU and he’s been great since coming back to the lineup. TCU is still 0.2 yppl worse than average offensively for the season with Dalton under center, but they’ve been 0.9 yppl better than average in 2 games since Dalton returned from injury. Even using TCU’s season rating would yield a prediction of 36 points for the Horned Frogs against UNLV’s porous stop unit. The Horned Frogs have a 58% chance of covering at -14 points based solely on line value (based on the historical performance of my math model) but the Rebels have a 10-4 ATS mark as a home underdog while TCU is just 4-13 ATS in recent years as a road favorite of more than 7 points (1-1 this year). The team trends are enough to keep me from making this game a Best Bet but I still like the Horned Frogs. I’ll consider TCU a Strong Opinion at -14 points or less.

Mr. IWS
11-01-2008, 07:45 AM
BIG AL's 5* COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAME OF THE MONTH -- Saturday

TEXAS TECH

Mr. IWS
11-01-2008, 07:47 AM
BIG AL

Saturday
5* Texas Tech+6 (released on Tuesday)
3* Northwestern+7 (added today)
1* New Mexico+7.5
1* New Mexico State+21.5
1* California-3
1* Oklahoma-21
1* Arkansas+7

Mr. IWS
11-01-2008, 07:51 AM
BEN BURNS
PAC 10 GAME OF MONTH

I'm taking the points with ARIZONA STATE. I feel these teams are more evenly matched than their records indicate. I also believe that we're getting excellent value with a line which has climbed from it's opener, all the way up past the two touchdown mark. Yes, it's true that the Beavers have enjoyed a much better season. Let's keep in mind that the Sun Devils were favored by 11 or 11.5 points at Tempe in last season's meeting with the Beavers - they won by 12 points. Arizona State returned 13 starters from that team, which went 10-3, while Oregon State, which went 9-4, returned only 10 starters. Note that the Sun Devils currently have 16 seniors on the roster. The point I'm trying to make is that there has been nearly a four touchdown swing in the pointspread from last season, I feel this an over-reaction. Indeed, despite returning more starters, Arizona State has gone from double-digit favorites to double -digit underdogs. Many teams with a record like Arizona State might already think about quitting and looking ahead to next season by giving their young players more playing time. Arizona State coach Dennis Erickson insists he has no plans of doing that though and was quoted as saying: All I care about is for those seniors to go out as winners," Erickson said "That's the most important thing to me. Nothing in the future concerns me right now other than what happens for those seniors that are going to finish their career in the next five weeks." In fact, with games against Washington and Washington State on deck (followed by UCLA and Arizona to close the season) the Sun Devils know that if they can find a way to score the upset this week that they'll very likely be able to generate a winning streak. "You just deal with it one game at a time, where you're at and the direction you're trying to go," Erickson went on to say:. "We have a very good focus on what we need to get done, and that's what we're trying to do every day...We are going to stay the damn course, and you do it every day and every week, things turn. It'll just happen." Keep in mind that Erickson, along with several assistants, coached at Oregon State previously. That makes this week's game a little extra special and I look for the Sun Devils to bounce back with a huge effort, earning at least the cover. *Pac 10 GOM

BEN BURNS
WAC GAME OF YEAR

I'm taking the points with UTAH STATE. I feel the situation favors the home underdog here. For starters, the Warriors are in the middle of a gruelling schedule spot. Indeed, for the entire season, they have alternated between home and away games. That means they've been flying back and forth from Hawaii to the mainland nearly every weekend. They began the season with a game on the East Coast, taking on Florida at Gainesville. They then flew home the following week and back on the road the next. That pattern has been repeated over and over again. Most recently, they took on Boise on the blue turf and then flew home to face Nevada last weekend. Now, it's back on the road again. They've been playing fairly well recently but I expect all the travel miles to finally catch up with the Warriors here. While it won't affect them this week, note that the Warriors do get some "scheduling relief" after this, as they will play back to back road games for the first time all year and then fly home to play their final three games at home. In addition to the travel factor, I also feel that the Warriors will be ripe for an emotional letdown here. While it's important for them to keep winning, the Warriors are off back to back huge games and it will be much tougher to get fired up for "lowly" Utah State. That will prove costly though as the Aggies very nearly beat Fresno State last week, eventually losing by two points when the Bulldogs hit a long field goal. Yes, the Aggies have a poor (1-7) record. In fairness, they've played a very tough schedule though. Four games came on the road. All were against 1-A teams, including Oregon. Additionally, two of their four home games came against Utah and BYU and those two teams are a combined 15-1. Their other two home games resulted in a 2-point loss against a solid Fresno squad (see above) and a blowout victory vs. Idaho. The Warriors are just 1-3 on the road and that victory came by only a field goal. Dating back to last October, they're 2-5 SU/ATS on the road and both victories were by three points or less. The Aggies come in at 3-0 ATS their last three home games and they should bring some confidence with them. For starters, they played very well against Fresno and nearly beat the Bulldogs. Additionally, they had some success against the Warriors last season. They produced a season high in both points and total yards and easily earned the cover. That was at Hawaii vs. a much more dangerous team. This year, the Aggies are improved and playing at home. QB Diondre Borel has started the last five games and has played well, recording more than 1100 yards of offense. As Coach Guy had to say: "He is getting better every week. I think that just comes with the experience that he is getting. Those guys he is playing with in front of him did a good job. He didn't get sacked and avoided the rush. That helps a lot when you are not worrying about those things." While they did earn the victory, the Warriors struggled to contain Nevada's read-option rushing attack, giving up more than 300 yards on the ground. The Aggies use a similar attack and Hawaii coach Greg McMackin knows that his team will have it's hands full trying to contain Borel. He was quoted as saying: "Utah State quarterback Diondre Borel is running all over the place. Nobody is like the guy (Nevada's Colin Kaepernick) we faced this week, but he's a close second." Look for an inspired effort from Borel and co. as they take this game down to the wire and earn at least the cover. *WAC GOY

Mr. IWS
11-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Big Al Mcmordie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 Dimes Club- Pitt

Mr. IWS
11-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Scott Spreitzer Cfb Trifecta Of The Month

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tulsa/ Ark Under, Colorado St , Oregon

Mr. IWS
11-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Brandon Lang

Saturday's winners ....

15 Dime Florida State
15 Dime Florida
15 Dime 6-point teaser on Oregon State/Minnesota

Free pick - Texas

Mr. IWS
11-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Ppp
4% Kansas St.
3% Minnesota
3% Texas Tech

Mr. IWS
11-01-2008, 10:51 AM
BEN BURNS
TOTAL OF MONTH

I'm playing on Pittsburgh and Notre Dame to finish UNDER the total. The Panthers come off their worst defensive performance in recent memory, allowing 54 points vs. Rutgers. That result has provided us with a fairly generous number but it's not normal for the Panthers, as they had held all previous six opponents to 27 points or less. Even with the bad showing vs. Rutgers, the Panthers are still only allowing just 309 yards per game. In three road games, they're allowing only 253 yards per game and 22 points. Regardless of whether it's Bill Stull (currently listed as doubtful) or Pat Bostick at QB, in an effort to keep the Irish off the field and control the clock, I expect a heavy dose of LeSean McCoy and the ground attack from Pittsburgh this week. While I don't think Bostick is necessarily a huge drop-off, he struggled in relief last game (6 for 11 with an INT) and I do feel that the Panthers will be even more conservative than normal, in the event he gets the call. As for the Irish, they're allowing only 18.7 points per game and only 18 here at home. The Irish defense comes off a dominating effort, allowing a mere 124 total yards and just seven points, which came late in the game. The Irish registered four sacks in that games and permitted a paltry 26 yards on the ground. Even though the opponent was lowly Washington, that dominant performance should still have the Irish defense fired up and full of confidence entering this week's game. Looking at the series history and we find that three of five meetings this millennium have dipped below the number, including two of three here at Notre Dame. The Panthers have seen the UNDER go 4-2 their last six road games and 5-1 the last six times they were listed as underdogs. Looking back further and we find the UNDER at 15-6 the last 21 times that they were underdogs in the +3.5 to +10 range. Wannestedt is a fairly conservative and defensive-minded coach. Look for him to have his defense ready for a much better effort, while playing it relatively safe on offense, and this to lead to the final score being lower than most are expecting. *TOM

Mr. IWS
11-01-2008, 10:51 AM
BEN BURNS
EARLY BEATDOWN BLOWOUT GAME OF WEEK

I'm laying the points with BOWLING GREEN. It's true that Kent State was better than Bowling Green last time out. The Falcons lost a close one vs. Northern Illinois while the Golden Flashes earned an impressive blowout win at Miami Ohio. It's important not to over-react to one game though. The Golden Flashes are still 2-6 on the year and their previous victory came vs. 1-AA Delaware State. They're now 1-3 on the road and have given up an average of 38.5 points and 445.5 yards in those four games. Looking back further and we find that the Golden Flashes were 0-6 SU/ATS in their six road games, prior to the win at Miami. Note that all six of those losses came by a minimum of seven points and that they came by an average of 20 points. Additionally, it's worth mentioning that the last time the Golden Flashes played the second of back to back road games, they were punished by a score of 41-20. Yes, the Falcons have had trouble defending the run and yes the Golden Flashes bring some pretty impressive rushing stats to the table. That being said, the Golden Flashes don't have the same type of power running attack that has given Bowling Green trouble and I expect the Falcons to have some success in slowing them down. Note that Kent State runs a lot with QB Edelman and their running back (Eugene Jarvis) is only 5-foot-5. Bowling Green head coach Gregg Brandon had this to say of the Kent State rushing attack: "They don't pound it like maybe a Pitt and a Boise did and a Northern. Edelman will just take the snap and look like he's dropping back and then just take off. Jarvis is a good back, very shifty and elusive. But not one that's going to keep punishing you." While Bowling Green is still just 3-5, the Falcons do have an impressive win over Pittsburgh and they played Boise relatively tough. They also haven't given up on winning the Mac East title. However, in order to have any shot at realizing that goal, the Falcons absolutely need a win this afternoon. Remember, this is a team which had eight wins last season and which returned a whopping 17 starters from that team. Note that the Falcons won by double-digits at Kent State last season. In fact, Bowling Green is 6-1 in seven meetings vs. Kent State this millennium and all six victories came by a minimum of a touchdown. Kent State is 1-9 SU and 1-8-1 ATS its last 10 November games. Conversely, Bowling Green is 4-0 SU/ATS its last four games played in November and 9-4-2 ATS its last 15 November games. The Falcons are also a profitable 13-6 ATS their last 19 lined games when coming off back to back SU losses. I expect them to bounce back with a huge effort once again and with the line having come down from it's opening number, I feel that we're getting excellent value. *Blowout GOW

Mr. IWS
11-01-2008, 11:51 AM
ROOT

Chairman- Iowa
Millionaire- La Tech
Money Maker- U Conn
No Limit- Colo St
Insider Circle- Texas Tech
Billionaire- New Mexico

Mr. IWS
11-01-2008, 05:03 PM
BEN BURNS
NBA

I'm taking the points with DENVER. I believe that the betting public is over-reacting to Denver is coming off an OT game last night. Yes, that was a hard-fought game. However, the fact that the Nuggets earned a great comeback win should help compensate for some of the fatigue that they might have otherwise been feeling. Additionally, Carmello Anthony didn't play at all (due to a suspension) so he'll provide the Nuggets with some fresh legs tonight. Note that the Nuggets have played a home game after playing the second of back to back games just four times since last November. Those four games all came against solid opponents from the Western Conference (Houston, Phoenix, Portland, LAC) and the Nuggets went 3-1 with the lone loss coming by single-digits. Looking back to last season's three series meetings here and we find that the Nuggets were favored in two games and were four point underdogs in the other. Tonight's line is much bigger, which I feel provides us with plenty of value. The fact that the Lakers won all three of those games (and swept the series overall) should provide the Nuggets will plenty of motivation tonight. Despite those results, the Nuggets are still 5-5 the last 10 series meetings here and they lost only one of those 10 games by more than six points. Additional motivation will be provided by the fact that this is the Nuggets' home opener. The Nuggets are 35-17 SU (31-21 ATS) the last 52 times they were coming off a double-digit win and 13-5 SU (12-6 ATS) the last 18 times they played a home game with an over/under line ranging from 205-210. Look for them to build some momentum from yesterday's big comeback as they give the Lakers all they can handle and earn at least another cover. *Best Bet

Mr. IWS
11-01-2008, 05:31 PM
BEN BURNS
PERSONAL NBA FAVORITE

I'm laying the points with CHARLOTTE. It's important not over-react to the starts off both teams. The Bobcats struggled in preseason and are off to an 0-1 start. They've got a top tier coach (Larry Brown) now though and they're not without talent. Additionally, their lone game was on the road vs. a powerful Cleveland team, so it's no surprise that they lost that one. They've had a day off in between games now though and they return home to take a step down in class to face the Heat. While the Heat looked good last night and will surely be improved from last season, they're already 0-1 on the road and are now a dismal 2-27 SU their last 29 road games. The Heat have also struggled here at Charlotte, going 2-5-1 ATS all-time on the road vs. the Bobcats. In fact, the last three meetings here ALL resulted in double-digit victories for the Bobcats. Additionally, the Heat are 3-17 the last 20 times they played the second of back to back games, including an 0-6 mark their last six in that situation. The last five of those losses all came by double-digits and by an average of more than 21 points. While the Heat were terrible on the road last season, the Bobcats were competitive at home. They won their home opener and finished above 500 here for the season. The Bobcats are 14-5 SU and 11-6-2 ATS the last 19 times they were favored by four points or less. Look for them to improve on those stats with a solid victory in their home opener. *Personal Favorite

Mr. IWS
11-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Larry Ness' Las Vegas Insider-NBA

Larry and his "unmatched" contacts get together on Tuesday for his exclusive Las Vegas Insiders in both CFB and the NFL but the NBA is a day-to-day sport. While they won't have a play every night in the NBA, they will have three-to-five per week. Tonight, Larry "triples your weekend pleasure" by adding an NBA Insider for Saturday. Want in?

Phoenix Suns

Larry Ness' Weekend Wipeout Winner-NBA

It's a CFB Saturday but the NBA features a 14-game schedule, as all but two of its 30 teams are in action. With so many teams playing on the same day so early in the season, there figures to be a mismatch or two and Larry is "all over" one game, which he believes has "blowout written all over it." Don't miss his Weekend Wipeout Winner in the NBA.

Dallas Mavericks

Mr. IWS
11-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Larry Ness' Weekend Wipeout Winner
Larry's Weekend Wipeout Winners the L2 Saturdays have sure lived up to their moniker. Larry won with Northern Illinois (-8) 38-7 on 10/18 and with Missouri (-24) 58-0 on 10/25. Looking for a 'rocking chair' winner this Saturday? Then look no further. When Larry calls for a "W-I-P-E-O-U-T," you want an invite to the 'party.' RSVP now

South Carolina

Chico1856
11-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Dr Bob

NBA
3 Star Selection
Philadelphia (+3) over ATLANTA
01-Nov-08 04:05 PM Pacific Time
The 76ers won big for me last night, bouncing back from their opening game loss, and now the Sixers apply to a 103-40-1 ATS road underdog momentum situation that is an even better 43-10 ATS for teams that played the previous night. My ratings favor the 76ers by only 1 point and I’ll take Philadelphia in a 3-Star Best Bet at +2 ½ points or more and for 2-Stars at +2 points.
3-Stars at +2 1/2 or more, 2-Stars at +2

2 Star Selection
Miami (+3) over CHARLOTTE
01-Nov-08 04:05 PM Pacific Time
Charlotte’s poor game 1 performance is not a good omen for them tonight, as the Bobcats apply to a negative 14-46-1 ATS early season indicator. My ratings favor Charlotte by 2 ½ points, so the line is fair. And I’ll take Miami in a 2-Star Best Bet at +2 points or more and for 3-Stars at +3 ½ or more.
2-Stars at +2 or more, 3-Stars at +3 1/2 or more.

2 Star Selection
Washington (+10) over DETROIT
01-Nov-08 04:35 PM Pacific Time
Washington applies to a 35-9-3 ATS subset of a 72-31-3 ATS early season indicator and Detroit applies to a the Pistons apply to a negative 24-49-2 ATS early season angle. Detroit tends to let up as a big favorite and rested teams tend to take advantage of that. In fact, the Pistons are just 8-26 ATS as a regular season favorite of more than 9 points against teams with rest while Washington is 25-9 ATS as a regular season road underdog when they didn’t play the previous night. My ratings favor Detroit by 11 points, so the line is a bit low, but I like the situation enough to play the Wizards at +10 or more. I’ll take Washington in a 2-Star Best Bet at +10 points or more and for 3-Stars at +11 or more.
2-Stars at +10 or more, 3-Stars at +11 or more.

3 Star Selection
Dallas (-5) over MINESOTA
01-Nov-08 05:05 PM Pacific Time
Dallas is coming off an opening game loss to a very good Rockets team but the Mavericks apply to a very good 53-7-1 ATS early season indicator. Minnesota is an improved team with Mike Miller joining a young cast with potential, but my ratings favor Dallas by 5 points, so the line is fair. I’ll take Dallas in a 3-Star Best Bet at -6 points or less, for 4-Stars at -4 or less, and for 2-Stars at -6 ½.
3-Stars at -6 or less, 4-Stars at -4 or less, 2-Stars at -6 1/2.

4 Star Selection
PHOENIX (-8) over Portland
01-Nov-08 07:05 PM Pacific Time
The Suns won at San Antonio before losing at home to a very good Hornets squad on Thursday night. I’ll look for Phoenix to bounce back tonight based on a 53-7-1 ATS early season indicator that applies to the Suns. Portland is coming off an exciting 1 point win over the Spurs last night and it will be tough for them to be ready for Steve Nash and the Suns tonight. Nash has a history of exploiting unrested teams and the Suns are 32-15 ATS with Nash in the lineup when not favored by more than 9 points against a team that played the previous night. My ratings favor the Suns by 9 points, so there is a bit of line value to go with the great situation. I’ll take Phoenix in a 4-Star Best Bet at -8 points or less and for 3-Stars from -8 ½ to -9 ½ points (2-Stars at -10).
4-Stars at -8 or less, 3-Stars from -8 1/2 to -9 1/2 and 2-Stars at -10.