View Full Version : 11-8-08

Mr. IWS
11-08-2008, 07:18 AM
7 Best Bets this week and 3 Strong Opinions.
Rotation #113 Nevada (+1) 3-Stars at -1 or better, 2-Stars from -1 1/2 to -3 points.
Rotation #125 Illinois (-7) 2-Stars at -8 or less.
Rotation #136 South Carolina (-12) 3-Stars at -14 or less, 4-Stars at -11 or less, 2-Stars up to -16.
Rotation #147 Army (+11) 3-Stars at +10 or more, 2-Stars down to +7.
Rotation #155 Clemson (+5 1/2) 3-Stars at +4 or more, 2-Stars down to +3.
Rotation #194 USC (-21) 2-Stars at -21 or less.
Rotation #197 New Mexico (-3 1/2) 3-Stars at -4 or less, 2-Stars up to -6.
Thursday Strong Opinion - Rotation #112 Utah (+1 1/2) Strong Opinion at pick or underdog. 2-Star Best Bet at +3 or more.
Strong Opinion - Rotation #137 Georgia (-11) Strong Opinion at -11 or less.
Strong Opinion - Rotation #162 Iowa (+7 1/2) Strong Opinion at +7 or more.
3 Star Selection
***SOUTH CAROLINA (-12.0) 34 Arkansas 10
10:00 AM Pacific, 08-Nov-08
Arkansas has improved since the early season under new coach Bobby Petrino, but the Razorbacks are still not close to South Carolina in terms of talent and the Hogs’ upset win over Tulsa last week sets them up in a very negative 15-55 ATS road letdown situation. Arkansas also applies to a negative 52-130-1 ATS situation that is completely different from the other angle. The situations combine to give South Carolina a 60% chance of covering the spread at a fair line, but I’d be playing the Gamecocks even if there were no favorable situations. South Carolina has one of the top defensive units in the nation, allowing 4.3 yards per play to a schedule of teams that would combine to average 5.8 yppl against an average team and that unit has a huge advantage over an Arkansas attack that is just 0.3 yppl better than average for the season with starting quarterback Casey Dick in the game (5.7 yppl against teams that would allow 5.4 yppl to an average team). Arkansas’ defense is average against both the run and the pass and the Hogs rate as 0.1 yppl better than average overall (5.7 yppl allowed to teams that would combine to average 5.8 yppl). That unit matches up pretty evenly against a mediocre South Carolina offense that I rate as average with current personnel. The Gamecocks are actually 0.7 yppl worse than average overall this season (5.0 yppl against teams that would allow 5.7 yppl), but taking out the horrible stats of game 1 starting quarterback Tommy Beecher and excluding the passing stats of the 3 games that star receiver Kenny McKinley missed gets South Carolina to rate as average. In 4 games since McKinley returned the lineup the Gamecocks have averaged 5.0 yppl against teams that would combine to allow 5.0 yppl, so my adjustments are in line with reality. South Carolina doesn’t have an edge over Arkansas when they have the ball, but they have a huge edge when the Razorbacks have the ball and should be favored by about 20 points in this game. Arkansas has covered the spread in their last 4 games, but I still get South Carolina by 17 points even if I use Arkansas’ last 4 games only. In those 4 games the Razorbacks have actually been slightly worse offensively (5.5 yppl against teams that would allow 5.3 yppl) than they are for the season and they’ve been only slightly better defensively (5.4 yppl allowed to teams that would average 5.7 yppl against an average team), so don’t overreact to their 4 game spread win streak. Combining the math model prediction with the situations give South Carolina a stellar 63% chance of covering at -12 points. I’ll take South Carolina in a 3-Star Best Bet at -14 points or less, for 4-Stars at -11 or less and I’d still play South Carolina as a 2-Star Best Bet up to -16 points.
3 Star Selection
***Army 23 RICE (-11.0) 24
12:00 PM Pacific, 08-Nov-08
Army is an underrated team that covered the spread in 5 consecutive games before last week’s 9 point loss as an 8 point dog to Air Force and the Cadets’ option rushing attack matches up well against a Rice defense that is among the worst in the nation defending the run. The Owls have surrendered 5.9 yards per rushing play to a schedule of teams that would combine to average just 4.7 yprp against an average team, and Army has shown that they can move the ball against teams that don’t defend the run well. The Cadets are a horrible passing team, so being able to run the ball is key for them. They were able to do that in games against Tulane, Eastern Michigan, and Buffalo – averaging 319 rushing yards at 6.2 yprp in those 3 games before having trouble the last two weeks against the good run defenses of Louisiana Tech and Air Force. Army is also well equipped defensively to contain a good, but not great Rice offense that has averaged 6.3 yards pear play against a schedule of teams that would combine to allow 5.9 yppl to an average team. The Owls have scored over 40 points 6 times this season, but 5 of those were against bad defensive teams (SMU, Memphis, North Texas, S. Miss, and UTEP) while the other came against a slightly worse than average Tulane defense. Rice’s offense was held to 21 points or less by the two better than average defensive teams that they’ve faced (Vandy and Texas) and Army is surprisingly good defensively. The Cadets started the season playing horrible defense, but the addition of star LB Stephen Anderson to the lineup in week 5 has made a major impact after Anderson missed the early part of the season. Anderson is already 3rd on the team in tackles despite missing 2 games and barely playing in another, and he has 8.5 tackles for loss and 5 passes defended, which are very good numbers for a linebacker in so few games. With Anderson in the starting lineup the Army defense has allowed just 4.6 yppl and 16 points per game while rating at 0.6 yppl better than average. My math favors Rice by only 3 ½ points in this game and the Cadets apply to a 25-2-2 ATS subset of a 46-13-3 ATS statistical match-up indicator. I’ll take Army in a 3-Star Best Bet at +10 points or more and for 2-Stars from +9 ½ to +7 points.
3 Star Selection
***Clemson 24 FLORIDA ST. (-5.5) 20
12:30 PM Pacific, 08-Nov-08
I won with Clemson last week against an overrated Boston College team and I’ll take the Tigers again versus an overrated Florida State squad. Florida State’s 6-2 record was built against a pretty easy schedule of teams and their 4-2 mark in game against Division 1A competition is misleading given that the Seminoles have only out-gained those teams 5.1 yards per play to 5.0 yppl. After compensating for their opponents, the Seminoles rate at 0.1 yppl worse than average on offense and just 0.2 yppl better than average defensively – which is clearly mediocre. Clemson, meanwhile, is a misleading 2-4 in their 6 games against 1A opposition, as the Tigers have out-gained those teams 5.2 yppl to 4.5 yppl and while the Tigers rate at just average offensively they are 1.2 yppl better than average defensively after adjusting for their opposition. These teams are about the same offensively (both average), but Clemson has a HUGE edge defensively. The reason for Clemson’s 2-4 record in 6 games against 1A foes is a -12 turnover margin in those 6 games. Even with the turnover issues, the Tigers have lost just one game by more than 5 points and that was to #1 Alabama. My math model favors Clemson in this game and Florida State applies to a negative 59-108-2 ATS situation. I’ll take Clemson in a 3-Star Best Bet at +4 points or more and for 2-Stars at +3 ½ or +3 points.
3 Star Selection
***New Mexico (-3.5) 32 UNLV 19
07:00 PM Pacific, 08-Nov-08
The only thing that UNLV had going for them was quarterback Omar Clayton, who averaged an impressive 7.0 yards per pass play with 18 touchdown passes against just 4 interceptions. Clayton was injured against TCU last week and backup Mike Clausen doesn’t appear to be capable of coming anywhere close to Clayton’s production. Clausen has averaged a pathetic 2.7 yppp on his 25 pass plays, but I’ll assume he’ll be considerably better than that given a full week of practice with the first team offense. Based on his limited stats so far, and the normal drop-off between a starter and an inexperienced backup, I’ll rate Clausen at 0.6 yppp worse than average, which is certainly on the generous side of the scale given how poorly he’s performed so far. UNLV is 0.2 yppl better than average for the season offensively, but I’ll rate the Rebels at 0.3 yppl worse than average with Clausen at quarterback. New Mexico is 0.3 yppl better than average defensively, so UNLV won’t have an easy time scoring with their backup quarterback. New Mexico’s offense was very bad early in the season, but the Lobos have been better recently with freshman Brad Gruner completing 68% of this passes the last 4 games after completing just 41% of his passes in his first 4 games. Even without factoring in the improvement the Lobos rate at a decent 0.3 yppl worse than average offensively thanks to a good rushing attack that has averaged 223 yards at 5.1 yards per rushing play. New Mexico has had trouble scoring against teams that defend the run well, but they’ve scored a good number of points against teams with bad run defenses. Since Gruner took over at quarterback the Lobos have faced two teams that are bad defending the run and they ran for 306 yards while scoring 35 points at New Mexico State while running for 419 yards and scoring 70 points against San Diego State. UNLV is horrible defending the run, allowing 240 yards per game at 5.6 yprp (against teams that would combine to average 4.9 yprp against an average team). The Rebels are actually worse defending the pass, allowing 8.0 yards per pass play to teams that would average just 6.0 yppp against an average team. Overall, UNLV is 1.1 yppl worse than average on defense, so New Mexico should score plenty of points while their solid defense holds down a sub-par Rebels’ attack. My math model favors New Mexico by 8 ½ points in this game (it would have been 4 ½ points with Clayton playing) and the Lobos apply to a very good 53-8-1 ATS statistical match-up indicator. I’ll take New Mexico in a 3-Star Best Bet at -4 points or less and for 2-Stars from -4 ½ to -6 points.
2 Star Selection
**Illinois (-7.0) 38 Western Mich 23 (at Detroit)
09:00 AM Pacific, 08-Nov-08
Illinois is only 5-4 straight up but the Illini are a much better team than their record indicates. Illinois has averaged 6.5 yards per play on offense against a schedule of teams that would allow 5.4 yppl to an average team and that attack should exploit a sub-par Western Michigan stop unit that rates at 0.4 yppl worse than average. The Broncos have only faced two better than average offensive teams this season and they gave up 7.2 yppl and 47 points to Nebraska and 7.7 yppl and 38 points to Central Michigan. My math model projects 515 total yards at 7.3 yppl for Illinois in this game. The Illini defense started the season poorly and couldn’t stop the run early on, but the addition of run stuffing DT Josh Brent into the rotation in week 3 has changed that. Illinois allowed an average of 222 rushing yards at 6.5 yards per rushing play to Misouri and Eastern Illinois the first two games without Brent, but they’ve been 0.9 yprp better than average against the run in 7 games with Brent in the lineup (4.5 yprp allowed to teams that would average 5.4 yprp against an average team). Illinois is 0.9 yppl better than average overall defensively in those 7 games and they have an advantage over a Broncos’ attack that I rate at 0.4 yppl better than average. I project Western Michigan with a modest 330 yards at 4.9 yppl in this contest and Illinois has a huge overall advantage from the line of scrimmage. The only negative is Illini quarterback Juice Williams penchant for throwing interceptions (12 in 9 games this year) and Western Michigan’s Tim Hiller not throwing many picks (just 5 this season), but my math model still favors the Illini by 14 ½ points even after factoring that in. Western Michigan is a good MAC team, but the Broncos are only 5-20-1 ATS as a regular season underdog against winning teams since 2001 and they are out-classed here. I’ll take Illinois in a 2-Star Best Bet at -8 points or less.
2 Star Selection
**USC (-21.0) 38 California 10
05:00 PM Pacific, 08-Nov-08
USC has the nation’s top defense and I rate the Trojans’ offense at #8, but their slip up against Oregon State may keep the best overall team in the nation out of the National Championship game. Pete Carroll will continue to try to run up the score to impress the pollsters and a convincing win over a good Cal team would certainly be worth some extra votes. The Bears are known for their offense under Jeff Tedford, but it’s the defense that has made this year’s Bears a quality team. Cal rates as the 8th best defensive team in the nation, allowing just 4.3 yppl to teams that would combine to average 5.5 yppl against an average defense, but that unit is at a disadvantage against a Trojans’ attack that is 1.5 yppl better than average (6.8 yppl against teams that would allow 5.3 yppl to an average team). USC’s offense has been a little inconsistent, but the Trojans did gain 5.6 yppl and score 35 points against Ohio State, who ranks just ahead of the Bears in my defensive ratings. Cal’s defense has also struggled some on the road, allowing 35 points in a loss at Maryland (although on just 4.8 yppl) and 42 points on 6.3 yppl in a loss at Arizona, so USC should score 30 points or more in this game. Cal’s offense has averaged 6.0 yards per rushing play thanks to the big play abilities of running backs Jahvid Best (736 yards at 6.8 ypr) and Shane Vereen (555 yards at 5.5 ypr), but the Bears’ pass attack has been hindered by inexperienced receivers and has been just average this season. Nate Longshore and Kevin Riley have both seen plenty of action and the starting job is a week to week decision, but Longshore has been 0.4 yards per pass play better than average (compared to Riley’s 0.1 yppp worse than average rating) and I’ll assume Longshore will start this week with Riley nursing a concussion he sustained last week. USC has the best defense I’ve seen in years, allowing 3.4 yppl to teams that would average 5.5 yppl against an average team, and the Trojans have allowed more than 3.5 yppl only once all season (they allowed 5.0 yppl in their loss at Oregon State). They’ve also given up more than 10 points just once all season. Cal is capable of topping 10 points if Best can bust a breakaway run or two, but I don’t see the Bears driving the ball down the field without a big play – and USC simply doesn’t give up many big plays. Cal’s impressive 26-16 win last week over Oregon sets the Bears up in a negative 23-81-4 ATS road letdown situation today and USC applies to very strong 91-26-2 ATS situation that went 2-0 last week with Texas Tech and Oklahoma. That’s actually just one of many situations that favor the Trojans this week and USC also applies to a few good teams trends. The Trojans are tough to beat when their offense is playing well and USC is 17-3-1 ATS at home laying less than 35 points after a game in which they scored 35 points or more. The Trojans also tend to play their best late in the season and they are now 32-10 ATS from game 8 on since 2001. I’ll take USC in a 2-Star Best Bet at -21 points or less.
Strong Opinion
UTAH 20 TCU (-1.5) 16
05:00 PM Pacific, 06-Nov-08
TCU has the nation’s 2nd best defense in my ratings, but the unbeaten Utes are a good team too and qualify in a very good 60-21-1 ATS situation. Utah’s offense has been 0.4 yards per play better than average this season, so the Utes are at a distinct disadvantage against a dominating TCU stop unit that rates at 1.7 yppl better than average (3.8 yppl allowed to teams that would combine to average 5.5 yppl against an average team). However, Utah has a very good defense that is 1.0 yppl better than average (4.2 yppl allowed to teams that would average 5.2 yppl) and TCU is 0.6 yppl worse than average offensively with starting quarterback Andy Dalton in the game, averaging 5.3 yppl against teams that would combine to allow 5.9 yppl to an average team. So, Utah’s defense has a 1.6 yppl advantage over the Horned Frogs’ offense, and the Utes are just 0.1 yppl worse than TCU overall from the line of scrimmage. Utah also has better special teams, but TCU has a 1.9 points edge in projected turnovers. Overall, this game is a toss-up and the situation favors Utah, who also has a tradition of money making success as an underdog (45-16-2 ATS, 7-4-1 ATS under coach Whittingham). I’ll consider Utah a Strong Opinion at pick or underdog and I’d take Utah in a 2-Star Best Bet at +3 points (at -115 odds or better) or more. I’ll also lean with the Under.
Strong Opinion
Georgia (-11.0) 31 KENTUCKY 16
09:30 AM Pacific, 08-Nov-08
Georgia may be a bit deflated after losing to Florida, but they were beaten so convincingly that they are more likely to bounce-back than feel sorry for themselves, as they might have had it been a close loss. The Bulldogs, in fact, apply to a very good 106-48-2 ATS blowout bounce-back situation that actually just won last week with Kentucky after they were whipped by Florida. Kentucky has a good defense, but he Wildcats have lost their two best offensive players in the last month, as top receiver and star punt returner Dicky Lyons was injured and lost for the season in week 7 against South Carolina while top running back (and second leading receiver) Derrick Locke was lost for the season 3 weeks ago against Arkansas. Locke is also a very good kick returner (28.5 average) and not having Lyons and Locke returning punts and kicks has hurt the special teams. The offense hasn’t suffered noticeably yet, but the Wildcats have scored a total of just 19 points the last two weeks and rate at 0.7 yards per play worse than average for the season. Georgia’s defense has been about average, relatively, the last two weeks against great offensive teams LSU and Florida, but they’ve handled the mediocre and bad offensive teams that they’ve faced this season. Georgia’s offense is 1.5 yppl better than average, so they have a pretty good edge over a Kentucky defense that is 0.6 yppl better than average, and my math model favors the Bulldogs by 13 points after putting all the pieces together. Normally, I’d play a pretty strong situation applying to a team with some positive line value, but Georgia is just 8-19 ATS after playing Florida over the years (2-5 ATS under coach Richt), so I’ll consider Georgia a Strong Opinion at -11 points or less rather than making the Bulldogs a Best Bet.
Strong Opinion
IOWA 23 Penn St. (-7.5) 24
12:30 PM Pacific, 08-Nov-08
Penn State has been an underrated team most of this season (7-1 ATS), but the line has caught up to the Nittany Lions great team and my math model favors Penn State by just 6 ½ points over a good Iowa team that is better than their 5-4 record. The reason for favoring Iowa in this game is not the small bit of line value but rather a 16-59-1 ATS situation that applies to Penn State. That angle plays against unbeaten teams at this stage of the season and Penn State also applies to a negative 31-77 ATS favorite off a bye angle. Iowa is certainly capable of playing with Penn State, as the Hawkeyes have a very strong rushing attack (5.6 yards per rushing play), a better than average quarterback in Ricky Stanzi, and a good defense that has allowed 4.7 yppl to teams that would combine to average 5.4 yppl against an average stop unit. I respect Penn State enough not to make this game a Best Bet, but I’ll consider Iowa a Strong Opinion at +7 points or more.

Mr. IWS
11-08-2008, 07:21 AM
Larry Ness' Las Vegas Insider-CFB (4-0 run w/Insiders since last Saturday)-Sat game
My Las Vegas Insider is on Air Force at 6:00 ET. CSU head coach Sonny Lubick recorded 10 consecutive winning seasons from 1994 through 2003, winning (or sharing) six conference titles during that span. However, his program began to dismantle in 2004 (4-7) and after finishing 6-6 in 2005 after a bowl loss, his Rams went 4-8 and 3-9 the last two seasons. He was forced to resign and Steve Fairchild, a CSU alum, is the new coach. Fairchild was an OC with the Rams ('03-'05) and Bills ('06-'07) but he hasn't had too much offensive success this year, as the Rams are averaging a modest 24.3 PPG (71st). QB Billy Farris is no better than average, completing 63.4 percent for an average of 217.1 YPG with 12 TDs and seven INTs. The team's running game nets just 124.0 YPG (3.6 YPC) and is dependant solely on Gartell Johnson (848 YR / 4.7 YPC), as no other player has 150 yards on the year. The defense has allowed 32.7 PPG (105th) and has really struggled against the run, away from home (more on that in a little bit!). Air Force head coach Troy Calhoun (like Fairchild, an alum of the school he now coaches) knows about replacing a legend, as he took over at Colorado Springs last year for Fisher DeBerry. However, unlike Fairchild this year (CSU is 4-5), Calhoun found immediate success with Air Force, winning nine games and leading the Falcons to a bowl game in 2007, after Air Force had endured three straight losing seasons. Calhoun's continued that success in '08, as the Falcons enter this game 7-2, having only lost to Utah (the Utes are undefeated and ranked No. 8 in the BCS entering their Thursday game with TCU) and Navy. Utah needed a TD with under a minute remaining to edge the Falcons 30-23 and Navy used two blocked punts (both returned for TDs) to beat the Falcons 33-27, despite the fact that Air Force outgained Navy 411-244! Freshman Tim Jefferson has taken over at QB for the Falcons after the Navy game and Air Force is 4-0 SU (3-1 ATS) under his leadership, while averaging 25.8 PPG. He doesn't throw much (doesn't need to), as the Falcons rank fourth in the nation with 274.4 YPG (4.3 YPC). What is so impressive about the Falcons' running game is this, that seven players have between 229 and 417 yards rushing on the year. Consider this. CSU has played four games away from Fort Collins this year (includes a game at Denver vs Colorado), allowing 223.8 YPG on the ground and 6.5 YPC! The lone win in those four games came over sad-sack San Diego State (and just barely, at 38-34), as the CSU defense allowed an average of 40.8 PPG in the four contests. Calhoun's team ran for 385 yards (5.6 YPC) last year at Fort Collins, as his Falcons beat the Rams 45-21. Here at home, where he's 8-2 SU (7-1 ATS), he should have little trouble against a CSU team coming off a very disheartening loss last Saturday. The Rams twice took 4th-quarter leads over BYU last Saturday (at home) but both times the Cougars were able to respond, the final time with just 22 seconds left, handing the Rams a 45-42 loss. As for Air Force, a win here moves them to 8-2 which is very important, as the team's final two games are against BYU and at TCU (not sure the Falcons can win either of those games). The last five years the SU winner of this game has won by an average margin of 17 points and that sounds about right to me in this one. Las Vegas Insider on Air Force.

Good Luck...Larry

Larry Ness' Weekend Wipeout Winner-CFB (three straight wins by the combined scores of 120-13!)
My Weekend Wipeout Winner is on San Jose State at 8:00 ET. Every team is chasing Boise State in the WAC this year and the Spartans missed their chance at the Broncos this season, losing 33-18 on a Friday night (10/24) at home. However, that's nothing to be ashamed of and Dick Tomey has his team at 6-3 (4-1 in the WAC) and poised for a second bowl trip in the last three seasons with a strong finish (Spartans won nine games including a win in the New Mexico Bowl in 2006). As for La Tech, second-year head coach Derek Dooley has all sorts of problems. The team has little balance, as the QB position is a mess. Bennett has taken most of the snaps but he's completing 39.5 percent on the season and has two TDs in 167 attempts this season. ******* has seen more action the last few weeks but he's connecting on only 50.8 percent with one TD in 63 attempts. The running game is good (189.0 YPG / 4.7 YPC) with Porter (690 YR / 5.3 YPC) and Jackson (354 YR / 4.0 YPC) both contributing but the problem here is that San Jose State defends the run well, allowing 108.4 YPG and 3.4 YPC. What's more, while the Bulldogs have played well at home with upsets over Mississippi St and Fresno State, they are 0-4 SU and ATS on the road, scoring a grand total of 24 points (6.0 per!). The Spartans gave Myles Eden his second start of the season last week (Cal transfer Kyle Reed has a bruised tailbone and has underachieved) and he delivered by going 23-of-31 for a career-high 295 yards and his first two TD passes of the year. RB Yonus Davis is not up to his 2006 form (1,007 YR / 6.2 YPC) after carrying just three times in '07 before getting hurt, but he does have 522 YR with a 4.8 average. The Spartans won't overlook Tech (even with the team's poor road mark), as they lost last year in Ruston, after a big comeback (trailed 24-6 before losing 27-23) fell just short. The home team has won six of the last seven in this matchup and a win here gives the Spartans a great shot at a nine-win regular season and another bowl trip. That's big news in San Jose. Weekend Wipeout Winner on San Jose State.

Good Luck...Larry

Mr. IWS
11-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Scott Spreitzer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big 12 And Sunbelt Conference Mismatch GOM's

Colorado And Fla Intl.

Mr. IWS
11-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Big Al Mcmordie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linemover Play Oklahoma St.

Mr. IWS
11-08-2008, 07:25 AM
BIG AL

Saturday - Football
4* South Carolina-10
4* Oklahoma State+3
3* North Carolina-4.5
3* LSU+4
3* San Jose State-8
3* Iowa+7.5
3* Louisville+6.5
1* USC-18.5
1* Nebraska+1.5
1* Georgia-10.5

Mr. IWS
Brandon Lang

Saturday
40 Dime Alabama - (if your sports book has a 3-1/2, buy the half point and lay just 3 points).

15 Dime Teaser - Penn State & San Jose State

FREE - Oklahoma St

Mr. IWS
BEN BURNS
BIG GAME ALERT

I'm taking the points with IOWA. I won't be at all surprised if we see another undefeated team go down this afternoon. Penn State boasts a strong team and is having an excellent year. Iowa is a much better team than most people believe though and the Hawkeyes excellent defense gives them a legit chance to pull the upset. Yes, the Hawkyes are only 5-4 on the season. However, a closer look shows that their four losses came by an average of just a field goal and that NONE of them came by more than five points. In its last game here, Iowa dismantled Wisconsin by a score of 38-16. While the Nittany Lions won last season's meeting, note that the Hawkeyes won the previous five games in this series, including a 26-14 victory the last time the teams met here. Joe Paterno knows he's in for a battle. The legendary coach was quoted as saying: "...Iowa is a good football team. In fact, year in and year out, I think Iowa is as well-coached and has as tough kids as anybody that we play against..." Despite this year's success, the Nittany Lions are still just 7-13-1 ATS their last 21 conference games. They're also 2-4 ATS the last six times they were listed as road favorites in the -7.5 to -10 range. During the same stretch, the Hawkeyes were 2-0 ATS as home underdogs in the +7.5 to +10 point range. The Hawkeyes are outscoring opponents by a 32-9 margin here at home this season. The Hawkeyes haven't forgotten last year's loss at Happy Valley and they'd love nothing more than to be the team that spoils Penn State's perfect season. Behind another big game from their defense, look for the Hawkeyes to be involved in another game that comes down to the wire, earning at least the cover. *Big 10 GOM

BEN BURNS
EARLY BEST BET

I'm taking the points with KENTUCKY. Last week's 49-10 blowout loss vs. Florida notwithstanding, it's well known that the Bulldogs are a very talented team. As a result, most of the betting public expects them to bounce back with a blowout victory of their own. I feel that will be easier said than done though. No matter how good a team might be, it's not always easy to immediately recover from that type of beating. While the Bulldogs are still licking their wounds and thinking about what might have been, they'll faced a fired-up Wildcats team which is coming off a confidence-building road win at Mississippi State and which has played outstanding defense all season. The Kentucky defense was especially tough against the run last week, limiting Mississippi State to 43 yards on 27 attempts. Besides Florida (and that came on the road) only South Carolina (which had 24) has scored more than 20 points against this team. Overall, the Wildcats' defense is surrendering a mere 12.8 points and 276 yards per game at home. The last two series meetings were both decided by 11 points or less with Kentucky scoring a 24-20 upset the last time the teams met here. Interestingly, Georgia was also coming off a loss vs. Florida prior to that game and had a game against Auburn on deck. That's the situation here again this season, as Georgia again has the rival Tigers on deck. I expect the Wildcats defense to allow them to hang within the generous number and I won't be surprised if they score another upset. *Best Bet

BEN BURNS
BIG CHALK GAME OF YEAR

I'm laying the points with TENNESSEE. It's tough being the coach of an SEC program with big expectations. Just ask Phillip Fulmer. An excellent career winning percentage and plenty of past success wasn't enough to save Fulmer from being forced into resignation. Just because the Vols haven't been able to compete with the conference heavyweights the past few seasons doesn't mean that they still can't destroy a non-conference weakling like Wyoming though! The last time that the Vols faced an unranked opponent, they mauled Mississippi State by a score of 34-3. In fact, the Vols are 5-0 SU/ATS their last five against teams with losing records. The Bulldogs are a lot better than the Cowboys, too. Wyoming beat a bad San Diego State team last week. However, prior to that, the Cowboys had lost five straight games and those losses came by a combined score of 207-30, or an average of 41-6! Note that the Vols are 2-0 against Wyoming, most recently crushing the Cowboys 47-7 in 2002. I feel that the Fulmer situation will help us here. For starters, Fulmer has been on the hot season since 2005 and it's nice for the players to finally know what's going on. More importantly, I feel that the players will show some pride and go all out for their legendary coach in his final homecoming game here at Tennessee. Note that the Vols are 15-1 under Fulmer in their homecoming games and that they won those games by an average of 25 points. The Vols are hungry for a blowout victory and I feel that Wyoming, which has been outscored by an average score of 40.7 to 2.3 in going 0-3 ATS on the road, represents the perfect victim. Look for the Vols to rise to the occasion for Fulmer and give their fans something to cheer about by delivering a one-sided beat-down. *big chalk GOY

BEN BURNS
SEC MAIN EVENT

I'm taking the points with LSU. As you know, this is a huge game for both teams. Alabama is undefeated and looking to keep its national championship dreams alive. The Crimson Tide are also looking for revenge after the Tigers defeated them last season. As for LSU, it's still trying to keep it's (very slim) national title dreams alive. Perhaps more importantly, the Tigers desperately want to be the team that hands former coach Nick Saban his first loss. While the Crimson Tide have the higher ranking and better record, the teams have both averaged a very similar number of points. Alabama has averaged 32.2 points per game. LSU has averaged 32.5, including 38.2. While the Crimson Tide have allowed fewer points, the LSU defense is also very solid. Through the season, the Tigers are allowing only 297.2 yards per game. When comparing numbers, keep in mind that LSU has faced arguably tougher SEC teams. Both teams have played Georgia. LSU has also faced Florida, Auburn and South Carolina. Conversely, the Tide have faced Mississippi, Tennessee and Arkansas. (Both teams have played Georgia.) The Tigers have won five straight meetings in the series. They've also won 18 of their past 20 games here and only one loss came by more than two points. Playing at home and getting more than a field goal, I feel they provide us with excellent value and I won't be surprised if another undefeated team goes down here. *SEC Main Event

BEN BURNS
PAC 10 GAME OF WEEK

I'm taking the points with UCLA. I successfully played against Oregon State last week and I feel that the Beavers are over-valued again here. Last week, favored by two touchdowns, the Beavers won by only two points. Now the Beavers take to the road where they are just 1-3 on the season with the lone victory came vs. winless Washington. Now they are being asked to lay more than a touchdown on the road at vs. a well- rested UCLA team which has played well at home. In five games here, the Bruins have gone 4-1 ATS and 3-2 SU. The Bruins defeated Tennessee outright here and they only lost by five vs. Fresno State here. In their most recent home game, the Bruins defeated Stanford - a team which defeated Oregon State. Prior to the bye week, UCLA lost at Cal. That's worth noting as we find the Bruins at 9-1 ATS the last 10 times they were coming off a loss vs. a conference opponent. The Bruins are also a profitable 15-4-1 ATS the last 20 times they were listed as underdogs. Additionally, they're a perfect 5-0 the last five times that they faced the Beavers. Most assume that the Bruins' season is over. However, they haven't given up on reaching a bowl game quite yet. They need three wins in their final four games. Their finale is vs. USC, so that's a write-off. That means that they need to win each of their next three games. That's admittedly going to be difficult. It's not impossible though and at the very least, it gives them hope here and additional motivation to play for. Coach Rick Neuheisel had this to say: "If we can find a way to beat Oregon State, that puts us in a position where postseason is still alive. The whole goal for the season lies on a great plan for the Oregon State game." With an extra week to prepare, look for Neuheisel to have the Bruins ready to play and for them to earn at least the cover. *Pac 10 GOW

Mr. IWS
11-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Sprietzer
4*Nebr.
5* Geor.
TKO b12 mismatch COL
TKO sunbelt mismatch FLA INT
TKO AF
TKO Ohio st
KO Virg
KO W vir
KO Revenge GOY NC
5* Purdue OVER

Mr. IWS
11-08-2008, 10:33 AM
PPP Totals

4 over W Mich
4 over UTEP

Mr. IWS
11-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Root today...

Chairman- Louisville
Millionaire- LSU
Money Maker- Clemson
No Limit- Nebraska
Insiders Circle- Wake Forest
Billionaire- UNLV

Mr. IWS
11-08-2008, 11:31 AM
ppp
5 san jose st
4 louis, ill over
3 ohio st, minn, af, oregon

Mr. IWS
11-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Larry Ness' 20* C-USA Game of the Year (just won MAC Game of the Year on Akron, 47-30!)
My 20* play is on East Carolina at 3:30 ET. East Carolina was one of the biggest stories of the season's first two weeks, upsetting top-25 opponents Va Tech and West Va, climbing to 14th in the AP poll (highest ranking since the school finished 9th in the final poll of 1991) and sparking talk of an undefeated season and a possible BCS bowl bid. However, consecutive losses to NC St, Houston and Virginia ended that talk pretty quickly. In fact, the loss to NC St was all one needed to quiet the 'nonsense' coming out of Greenville. Mark Snyder 'limped' into this season off a 3-9 year in '07 and a disappointing 12-23 mark since coming to Huntington. When his team opened 3-1 there was no 'big talk' and like East Carolina, the Thundering Herd suffered a three-game losing streak. Losses at West Va (27-3) and home to Cincy (33-10) were no real big deal but a 23-21 loss at UAB (now 2-7) was 'ugly.' However, Marshall responded with an impressive home upset win over Houston (37-23, led 30-3) on Oct 28 and hasn't played since. Both schools enter this game at 3-1 in C-USA's East division and the winner will likely be headed to the conference title game. ECU's leading rusher (Williams) has been suspended but Norman Whitley had 135 YR (4.8 YPC) in the team's 13-10 OT win at UCF last Sunday night, so that's not much of an issue. I expect Patrick Pinkney to start at QB, after Rob Kass performed poorly on Sunday. Pinkney has slumped since a fast start but let's remember he led this team to eight wins last year, including a 41-38 Hawaii Bowl win over Boise State. Marshall QB Mark Cann is a redshirt freshman and he's done little all year (52.3 percent / 10-8 ratio / 189.4 YPG) and the running game is average (143.0 YPG / 4.1 YPC). Marshall is 1-3 SU and ATS on the road this year and just 8-26 SU and 10-23 ATS since Snyder's arrival, away from home. Holtz was 28-11 ATS at ECU after his 2-2 start this year but his team is currently on a 1-5 ATS slide. However, the Pirates can still salvage a pretty nice season, as after this game, their three remaining opponents own a combined record of just 8-18. Expectations got out of hand in early September but getting to getting to their first-ever C-USA title game a third straight bowl appearance (not to mention a possible nine or 10-win season) is nothing to sneeze at. The Pirates are the much better team and they won't forget that a 26-7 loss at Huntington last year, knocked them out of the C-USA title game. It's Homecoming for the Pirates (43-10 SU all-time) and the home team has won six of the last seven meetings between these two schools, with the average margin of victory coming by 21 PPG. The Pirates will roll here. C-USA Game of the Year 20* East Carolina.

Good Luck...Larry

Larry Ness' 20* ACC Game of the Year (4-0 FB run since Monday!)
My 20* play is on North Carolina at 12:00 ET. Butch Davis has wasted little time turning things around at North Carolina, as after a 4-8 season last year, he's got the Tar Heels ranked 19th in the AP at 6-2 and still 'alive' in the ACC's Coastal Division in his second season. Paul Johnson (former Navy coach) inherited a good situation at Ga Tech and as everyone knows, this man can coach. His Yellow Jackets are 7-2 overall and at 4-2 in the ACC, owns a half-game lead over three schools (NC is 2-2). Tech's played excellent defense for years and '08 is no different, as the team ranks 11th in scoring (14.8 PPG) and 14th in total 'D' (284.7 YPG). Offensively, the team is one-dimensional, as Johnson has brought his option with him. Tech is ranked 8th in rushing (242.3 YPG / 5.0 YPC) but averages a meager 108.7 YPG through the air. RB Dwyer has 899 YR (6.5 YPC) and QB Nesbitt is the team's second-leading rusher with 436 yards. However, Nesbitt completes only 49.2 percent (3-3 ratio) and besides WR Thomas (29 catches), no player has more than five receptions. Nesbitt is bothered by a bad ankle and that's not good news as he's vitally important to the running game and faces a North Carolina 'D' which is very good against the run and owns 17 INTs (tied for the most in the nation). The Tar Heels allow 113.6 YPG (3.4 YPC) on the ground for the season but have held their last three opponents to 62.3 YPG and 2.4 YPC. The offense suffered huge losses early on to TJ Yates (starting QB) and WR Tate (397 all-purpose yards vs McNeese St in the season-opener and a 23.5 YPC average before being lost for the season against U Conn on Oct 4). However, Cam Sexton has filled in nicely under center for the Heels, going 4-1 as a starter (lone loss at Virginia in OT, after the Cavs tied it with 47 seconds left). He completed 19-of-30 passes for 238 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions in the team's last game (Oct 25), a 45-24 rout of Boston College. Hakeem Nicks had eight grabs for 139 yards and three scores, giving him 47 catches on the year (16.6 YPC / 7 TDs) RB Draughn is not a star but has 499 YR (4.6 YPC). Carolina comes in well-rested (had last Saturday off) and as mentioned earlier, has been stuffing the run its last three games. Nesbitt is far from 100 percent for Tech and the team's OL is all banged up. History is on Ga Tech's side, as the Yellow Jackets have won nine of the last 10 meetings between the schools but last year Tech needed a FG with 16 seconds left, to eke out a 27-25. The Tar Heels almost 'got there' last year and Butch Davis' team is ready to 'knock the door down,' this time around . ACC Game of the Year 20* North Carolina.

Good Luck...larry

Mr. IWS
11-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Scott Spreitzer's NBA SATURDAY NIGHT KNOCKOUT! *18-4, 82% NBA Run!

I'm laying the points with the Hornets on Saturday night. New Orleans hasn't looked too hot as of late, especially last night in the second quarter when they were out-scored 21-7. The Hornets almost looked as they were going through the motions at times, getting out-scored by 15 points at the charity stripe. After back-to-back clunkers, I expect a focused effort against the Heat. New Orleans, expected by many to give the Lakers a run for their money in the Western Conference have been outstanding in this situation over the last three seasons. First of all, they're 57-34 ATS at home. Secondly, they have covered 40 of their last 61 against the Eastern Conference, and finally, the Hornets are on an 8-2 run when laying points in a range that includes tonight's number. New Orleans crushed Miami by 29 and 26 points the last two times they have met. I expect another beatdown on Saturday. I'm laying the points with the Hornets. Thanks! GL! Scott.

Mr. IWS
11-08-2008, 07:10 PM
BEN BURNS

WASHINGTON

Game: New York Rangers vs. Washington Capitals Game Time: 11/8/2008 7:05:00 PM Prediction: Washington Capitals *Annihilator

Mr. IWS
11-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Saturday NBA Opinion Dr Bob
CHICAGO (+1 1/2) over Cleveland
Cleveland beat Chicago 107-93 on Wednesday night and the Cavaliers are coming off a close win last night over the Pacers, so I don't see them being fully focused tonight in Chicago. Cleveland is just 5-20 ATS the night after a victory the last 2 years and my ratings, which favor Cleveland by 1 point, suggest the line is fair. I'll lean with Chicago at +1 or more.