PDA

View Full Version : 11-14-08

Mr. IWS
11-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Dr. Bob

2 Star Selection
Cincinnati (-3.5) 30 LOUISVILLE 17 (Friday)
14-Nov-08 05:00 PM Pacific Time
Cincinnati is starting to show what a quality team they are while Louisville is starting to show how mediocre they are. The Bearcats are coming off convincing wins over South Florida and at West Virginia while Louisville has been horrible in losing consecutive home games to Syracuse (as a 13 point favorite) and Pittsburgh (by a 7-41 count). The loss to Pitt actually wasn’t as bad as the score indicates, as the Cardinals were -5 in turnover margin in that game (although they were out-gained 4.4 yppl to 5.4 yppl by the Panthers). Louisville is better than they’ve shown the last two weeks, but they are a mediocre team that rates at 0.2 yppl worse than average on offense with QB Hunter Cantwell in the game (5.4 yppl against Division 1A foes that would allow 5.6 yppl to an average team) while rating as just average defensively (5.3 yppl allowed to teams that would combine to average 5.3 yppl). Cincinnati, meanwhile, is 0.2 yppl better than average with Tony Pike at quarterback (Cincy struggled offensively relative to the defenses they faced in the 3 games Pike missed) and the Bearcats are an outstanding 0.8 yppl better than average defensively – allowing 4.8 yppl to teams that would combine to average 5.6 yppl against an average team. Cincy has been particularly good defensively since giving up 7.2 yppl and 52 points to Oklahama early in the season, as they’ve yielded just 4.4 yppl in 7 games since then (to teams that would combine to average 5.5 yppl against an average team). The 40 points the Bearcats allowed to Connecticut prior to their current 2 game win streak was the result of a -6 in turnover margin and not bad defense (they allowed just 4.8 yppl in that game). In addition to being much better from the line of scrimmage, the Bearcats should win the turnover battle, as Pike has thrown just 3 interceptions on 161 pass attempts (1.9%) while Louisville quarterback Cantwell has thrown 11 picks on 261 passes (4.2%). Cincinnati is also known for their ball-hawking secondary and they’ve intercepted 12 passes in 9 games while Louisville’s passive secondary has picked off just 5 passes and has been without a pick in 5 of their 8 Division 1A games. Cincinnati hasn’t been as good as their numbers because they are randomly at -9 in fumbles lost margin, losing 11 fumbles while recovering just 2. That’s just random bad luck, as 90% of fumble difference is random in college football. My math model gives the Bearcats a 58.9% chance of covering at -3 ½ points and a 57.8% chance of covering at -4 points. I’ll take Cincinnati in a 2-Star Best Bet at –4 or less, for 3-Stars at -3 (at -1.10 odds or better) and I’d consider the Bearcats a Strong Opinion from -4 ½ to -5 ½ points.

Mr. IWS
11-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Brandon Lang

Friday
5 Dime Louisville

FREE - Cincinnati/Louisville OVER

Mr. IWS
11-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Ben Burns | CFB Side
triple-dime bet316 Louisville 4.0 (-105) Bodog vs 315 Cincinnati
Analysis: I'm taking the points with LOUISVILLE. I won with the Cardinals when they upset the Bearcats at Cincinnati last season and I feel that they're providing us with excellent value again this season. Including last year's victory, the Cardinals have won five straight in the series and nine of the last 10.
Yes, the Cardinals come in off back to back losses. However, those games were both on the road. In their last game here, they defeated a very good South Florida team. Additionally, it's worth noting that Lousiville is a profitable 16-9 SU/ATS the last 25 times it was coming off back to back losses, including 2-0 SU/ATS record in that situation since last year. The last time they were coming off back to back losses was last November and they won and covered vs. a good Rutgers team. Prior to that, they went on the road and crushed NC State (29-10) after losing back to back games in September of '07.
The Cardinals are still hoping to go to a bowl game and I expect them to give a huge effort here. Coach Kragthorpe was quoted as saying: "We have some long-term goals like going to a bowl game, but in order to do it we've got to take care of our short-term goals, and that starts against Cincinnati. We're going to fight. I'm convinced we have a team of fighters. They're frustrated, but they're frustrated in a good way. I think they're fighting their butts off. ... I still feel good about this team. I feel good about our chances."
Despite dropping last week's game at Pittsburgh, the Cardinals are still 4-2 ATS the last six times they were underdogs. Looking back further and we find them at 5-2 ATS the last seven times they were home underdogs in the +3.5 to +7 range. As for the Bearcats, they're just 3-6 ATS the last nine times they were laying points and 4-7 ATS their last 11 overall. While they're a solid team, the Bearcats are converting just 30% of their third down plays on the season, the worst mark in the Big East. That type of third down conversion rate makes it tough to score many points. The Bearcats did manage 26 points last week but only 20 of them were scored in regulation and none came in the second half. They failed to score more than 24 points in any of their previous three games, averaging only 17.7 during that stretch. Not surprisingly, after last week's hard fought 3-point win (in Overtime) at West Virginia, they've now seen three of their last six games decided by a field goal or less. While I feel the Cardinals have an excellent shot at another outright win, this one could also come down to the wire. Getting more than a field goal to work with, let's back the hungry home dog.
Paid

Mr. IWS
11-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Big Al-
3* Hornets-7 (NBA)
1* Memphis-4.5 (NBA)
1* Louisville+4.5 (ncaaf)

Mr. IWS
11-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Akmens Full Card

Ncaa Bball

10* Ul Monroe -3.5