Thread: Mayweather fight yields 1 million buys

Mayweather fight yields 1 million buys

The return of welterweight Floyd Mayweather Jr., who easily outpointed Juan Manuel Marquez after 21 months in retirement last Saturday at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, generated an astonishing 1 million pay-per-view buys, HBO announced Friday.

Despite a fight many viewed as a mismatch between the bigger and faster Mayweather and the smaller and slower lightweight champion Marquez moving up in weight, the fight was a giant success on pay-per-view -- especially considering it went head-to-head with a UFC pay-per-view card. Many industry experts had expected a pay-per-view buy rate in the 600,000 to 700,000 range.

The fight generated $52 million in domestic pay-per-view revenue and is only the fifth time in boxing PPV history that a non-heavyweight event has reached seven figures.
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Re: Mayweather fight yields 1 million buys

No numbers on UFC 103 but I saw this:

Code:
    Days after the Floyd Mayweather Jr-Juan Manuel Marquez fight went head-to-head with UFC 103 on pay-per-view, Golden Boy Promotions is declaring that boxing scored a knockout victory over MMA, with four or five times as many buys as the UFC

I expected 650-700k in buys from the Mayweather fight but it did alot better than that. I also expected 400-500k from the UFC and it didnt sound like it did .

They did say that UFC 100 out did the mayweather fight
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP

Well no surprise here really. You can't really expect a huge boxing event--which is fairly rare--to outdo a relatively minor UFC, especially when you get UFCs every month.
    I heart cock

Quote Originally Posted by SPX
    Well no surprise here really. You can't really expect a huge boxing event--which is fairly rare--to outdo a relatively minor UFC, especially when you get UFCs every month.

I expected it to do more buys but not that many more
    2015 MMA BETTING CHAMP