PDA

View Full Version : UFC 118 Penn-Edgar 2 Toney-Couture

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Luke
04-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Former UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn will get his rematch with Frankie Edgar on August 28th, Fighters Only can reveal after speaking with several key sources. The fight will headline UFC 118, the UFC’s first card in Boston, Massachusetts.

Penn lost the title to Edgar at UFC 112 on April 10th by way of a controversial unanimous decision. Edgar outworked and outmanoeuvred Penn for much of the fight, but it was an extremely close affair that produced three very different judges’ scorecards. One judge gave all five rounds to Edgar, but that score has been widely ridiculed

Putting a northeast fighter's first title defense on a big northeast show certainly makes sense. It will be interesting to see what the crowd reaction is like for both men in Boston.

While some have claimed that Edgar should defend his title against someone else rather than rematch Penn, this is the correct fight. B.J.'s history is one that is strong enough to not need to "earn" a rematch and the scorecards were controversial enough to make the rematch extremely appropriate.

I sincerely hope that Douglas Crosby is not scoring this rematch, if only because his behavior on The Underground seemed to me like he isn't above trying to prove some petty point with his behavior.

::handshake::

poopoo333
04-20-2010, 12:59 PM
I would love in Penn opened as an underdog :) But it won't happen.

Mr. IWS
04-20-2010, 01:05 PM
The thought of this fight still hurts my insides.

Luke
04-20-2010, 03:41 PM
I would love in Penn opened as an underdog :) But it won't happen.

If BJ opens as a dog I will be putting my savings and 401k on it.

BJ opens at -300 to -325 imo

Ludo
04-20-2010, 03:46 PM
BJ won't open up as a dog anymore than Anderson would against Ryo Chonan in a rematch.

Mr. IWS
04-20-2010, 04:22 PM
BJ won't open up as a dog anymore than Anderson would against Ryo Chonan in a rematch.

Pretty much sums it up. I just hope the odds are not crazy like last time.

SPX
04-20-2010, 06:26 PM

Oh come on now, that's not the same situation at all.

Luke
04-20-2010, 07:35 PM

I agree

zY|
04-20-2010, 08:57 PM

hyperbole

Literary device that uses obvious and intentional exaggeration to illustrate a point, not intended to be taken literally.

SPX
04-20-2010, 09:19 PM
hyperbole

Literary device that uses obvious and intentional exaggeration to illustrate a point, not intended to be taken literally.

Look you pseudo-intellectual, he sounded entirely serious to me.

Shitty invocation of the word "hyperbole."

zY|
04-20-2010, 09:43 PM
hyperbole

Look you pseudo-intellectual, he sounded entirely serious to me.

Shitty invocation of the word "hyperbole."

::haptime::

Ludo
04-21-2010, 12:50 AM
My point was that both matchups involve instances in the ending that will never happen again. Ryo could never pull that off again on anyone, let alone Anderson just like Penn/Edgar 2 won't see a decision.

SPX
04-21-2010, 12:58 AM
My point was that both matchups involve instances in the ending that will never happen again. Ryo could never pull that off again on anyone, let alone Anderson just like Penn/Edgar 2 won't see a decision.

I don't think Chonan could ever again beat Silva even if they fought a million times.

I don't believe that about Edgar though. He can beat Penn again. It's not like he got him with a fluke punch. He outworked him and outpunched him. It clear that even at LW Penn has some issues with cardio past the third round, especially when he is pushed.

I'm not saying that Edgar will win the second time around, but the two situations aren't even remotely comparable. If you think they are then you are continuing to underestimate Frankie Edgar.

Ludo
04-21-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm not underestimating Edgar, but I'm not about to underestimate Penn either. We both know who the better fighter is, he just wasn't the better fighter that night.

Luke
04-21-2010, 01:09 AM
I'm not underestimating Edgar, but I'm not about to underestimate Penn either. We both know who the better fighter is, he just wasn't the better fighter that night.

I agree.BJ wins the rematch but I doubt its an easy win .

Ludo
04-21-2010, 01:16 AM
Oh I didn't say it would be easy. It wont be a blowout just like this last one wasn't a blowout, but I don't see the rematch going to the judges. Trust me, I'm not taking anything from Edgar, he fought a great fight. I just think we will see the better fighter win this time around.

zY|
04-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Oh I didn't say it would be easy. It wont be a blowout just like this last one wasn't a blowout, but I don't see the rematch going to the judges. Trust me, I'm not taking anything from Edgar, he fought a great fight. I just think we will see the better fighter win this time around.

BJ has got to use more of his tools. If he can establish takedowns early, or at least attempt them, and do some clinching and bully Edgar against the cage and dirtybox him he'll probably win pretty decisively. If he just stands in the middle of the cage again and and does nothing but try to counter, the same thing could happen again.

Mr. IWS
04-21-2010, 08:24 AM
I think (hope) BJ will just drag Edgar down early and get this shit over with like he should have the first time.

Fighting that Edgar hummingbird style is a mutherfucker.

zY|
04-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Dude the Gus Johnson av has got to fucking go. He stares into my soul.

Mr. IWS
04-21-2010, 11:39 AM

::shake::

Dats my Nigga!

http://moretalk.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/gusjohnsonpraye-768906.jpg

Luke
04-21-2010, 12:58 PM

Check this out

http://www.gusjohnsongetsbuckets.com/

Luke
04-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Kenny Florian- Gray Maynard now also on UFC 118 card

zY|
04-22-2010, 07:42 PM
I hate how they're trying to setup Penn/Florian 2. I don't want to see it.

Luke
04-22-2010, 07:50 PM

you and me both

SPX
04-22-2010, 08:17 PM

I do. I think Kenny will bring a different gameplan and at the very least we'll get an entertaining fight.

zY|
04-22-2010, 08:21 PM
He's going to get his ass beat and choked out again.

SPX
04-22-2010, 08:29 PM

Is that to say that you think Edgar would beat Kenny or are you making a styles-make-fights argument?

zY|
04-22-2010, 08:31 PM

Is that to say that you think Edgar would beat Kenny or are you making a styles-make-fights argument?

The latter. I think Kenny beats Edgar. Kenny/Edgar is a great fight though if Edgar beats Penn again.

SPX
04-22-2010, 08:37 PM
The latter. I think Kenny beats Edgar. Kenny/Edgar is a great fight though if Edgar beats Penn again.

I agree that Kenny/Edgar would be good. We'll probably see it eventually one way or another.

If Kenny does get another title shot then he'll have definitely gotten more shots that that belt that most guys get.

Luke
04-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Randy Couture vs. James Toney now going to be at UFC 118

This event is going to be a good one

In a match likely to re-ignite the "boxing vs. MMA" debate, a bout between 10-time UFC champion Randy Couture (18-10 MMA, 15-7 UFC) and former boxing champion James Toney (0-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is targeted for the UFC's first trip to Boston.

Fighters Only was the first to report the possibility of the pairing, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com)) today confirmed that while the matchup is far from official, it's in the works for a headlining spot at the event.

Although not officially announced, UFC 118 is expected to take place Aug. 28 at the TD Garden in Boston. Two high-profile lightweight fights are currently on tap for the Northeast event: newly minted champion Frankie Edgar fights the man he deposed for the belt, B.J. Penn, in an immediate rematch of their recent UFC 112 bout, and two-time contender Kenny Florian faces standout Gray Maynard.

The weight limit of Couture vs. Toney is currently undetermined. Couture is now two fights into a second stint as a light heavyweight, while Toney is primarily regarded as a heavyweight in the boxing world.

The position of Couture vs. Toney on UFC 118's card is also unknown at this time, though sources close to the event say it will likely take a headline or co-headline slot.

Toney, 41, won a UFC contract in early March after a protracted trash-talk campaign against UFC president Dana White and several mixed martial arts fighters. The former boxing champion sought the guidance of boxing and MMA coach Juanito Ibarra and at several points welcomed a fight with Couture (though he called out virtually every MMA star he could name).

Toney is currently training with Ibarra in Southern California as he prepares for his MMA debut.

zY|
04-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Sick.

I can't wait for WWE I mean UFC 118.

poopoo333
04-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Easy money on Randy. Can't wait for this card.

Mr. IWS
04-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Wow, bad matchup for Toney. If Handy gets a hold of him, that should be a wrap. Unless Toney uses the side check kick technique he is famous for.

SPX
04-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Very interesting. Randy fucking Couture in your first MMA match? That's insane.

Luke
04-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Wow, bad matchup for Toney. If Handy gets a hold of him, that should be a wrap. Unless Toney uses the side check kick technique he is famous for.

Well he better get a hold of Toney or he's going to lose because he isnt going to out box him

zY|
04-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Stop giving it attention. It's a circus.

Mr. IWS
04-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Your not the least bit interested in it?

zY|
04-23-2010, 01:17 PM
[quote="zY|":31vyfcql]Stop giving it attention. It's a circus.

Your not the least bit interested in it?[/quote:31vyfcql]

I mean, I'll watch it the same way I'll watch a trainwreck.

Pretty cut and dry though. The Randy Couture retirement tour rolls onward. Let's send him out on a high note. I'm inclined to believe this is the reason Toney was signed to begin with.

Who's gonna guest host the event? Mike Tyson? David Hasselhoff? Maybe they'll bring in Verne Troyer and he can drop from the rafters and have a midget tag team match with Sean Sherk.

Also, the odds will likely be astronomical.

Luke
04-23-2010, 01:23 PM

you're a circus

Mr. IWS
04-23-2010, 01:24 PM
I dont mind a freakshow every now and then.

It does make Dana look like a fucktard, saying he will never pull some shit like this, and then putting this together.

zY|
04-23-2010, 01:34 PM
I dont mind a freakshow every now and then.

It does make Dana look like a fucktard, saying he will never pull some shit like this, and then putting this together.

Well, Dana said it wasn't a freakshow, therefore it's not.

In Dana we trust.

And yeah I like freakshows in Japan and small promotions and shit, but the UFC is already so prowrestling like, this is just over the top.

Luke
04-23-2010, 01:35 PM

::swifty:: I highly ,highly doubt that.

If the odds are high I'm going to be on Toney for sure.

Is Couture going to takedown Toney? maybe

If they stay on their feet and box Couture isnt going to win.If Couture pushes Toney to the cage and trys to dirty box Toney like he did Vera he wont win either because boxing inside in something Toneys done for 25 years.Coutures only chance is too take Toney down or hold him against the cage ,hold down both arms and knee him to death.

No matter what I cant see this being a huge line .I call huge -400.

Couture has beat a completely washed up Coleman and the most over rated fighter in the UFC Vera .He also got dominated boxing by a washed up NOG .Plus I cant see the line being high because in the back of the mind of the public everyone will be thinking Mercer-Sylvia.Just my opinion

Luke
04-23-2010, 01:37 PM
[quote="IWS Zak":10qptphi]I dont mind a freakshow every now and then.

Well, Dana said it wasn't a freakshow, therefore it's not.

In Dana we trust.

And yeah I like freakshows in Japan and small promotions and shit, but the UFC is already so prowrestling like, this is just over the top.[/quote:10qptphi]

Dana also said Liddell was still fighting Ortiz and Couture was fighting Franklin.Dana is the new Vince MCmahon

zY|
04-23-2010, 01:42 PM
He is. He's the UFC's biggest star. Who does that sound like?

Ludo
04-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Sylvia/Mercer shouldn't be in the back of everyone's mind. Sylvia was given an incentive to stand and box with Mercer and wouldn't have been paid if he didn't. Not to mention Sylvia came in looking like a slob who hadn't trained for the fight, and lets not forget that Sylvia got outboxed by Couture. Nogueira isn't washed up, he got floored by an up and coming Wrestler who's faster than most guys in the division. Nogueira's striking is far from average in the best possible way. The guy used to train with the Cuban Olympic boxing team, it's no wonder he was able to outbox Couture(who was sluggish at his age at heavyweight).

zY|
04-23-2010, 03:16 PM

::swifty:: I highly ,highly doubt that.

If the odds are high I'm going to be on Toney for sure.

Is Couture going to takedown Toney? maybe

If they stay on their feet and box Couture isnt going to win.If Couture pushes Toney to the cage and trys to dirty box Toney like he did Vera he wont win either because boxing inside in something Toneys done for 25 years.Coutures only chance is too take Toney down or hold him against the cage ,hold down both arms and knee him to death.

No matter what I cant see this being a huge line .I call huge -400.

Couture has beat a completely washed up Coleman and the most over rated fighter in the UFC Vera .He also got dominated boxing by a washed up NOG .Plus I cant see the line being high because in the back of the mind of the public everyone will be thinking Mercer-Sylvia.Just my opinion

What?

Of course he's going to take him down. Randy isn't an idiot.

All you're betting is that Toney can either avoid being taken down or knock Randy out before he gets a chance. The fight is over quick once it hits the mat.

zY|
04-23-2010, 04:16 PM
You have seen UFC 1, right Luke?

Luke
04-23-2010, 08:06 PM

nah please explain

zY|
04-23-2010, 08:34 PM

nah please explain

Well there was this guy from Brazil named Rorion Gracie...

SPX
04-23-2010, 08:42 PM

What?

Luke
04-23-2010, 08:45 PM

What?

THERE WAS THIS GUY FROM BRAZIL NAMED RORION GRACIE

zY|
04-24-2010, 01:52 AM

What?

THERE WAS THIS GUY FROM BRAZIL NAMED RORION GRACIE
::lmao::

Thanks for the volume boost.

Luke
05-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Jorge Rivera vs. Alessio Sakara

Terry Etim vs. Joe Lauzon

SPX
05-04-2010, 07:31 PM
After Lauzon's last performance, I could definitely see Etim taking that one.

And Rivera/Sakara could end up being an awesome fight. I just hope Sakara's head is right after his dad dying.

Mr. IWS
05-04-2010, 07:32 PM
I hope Etim wins, just so I can hear his marble mouth talk to Rogan after the fight.

Luke
05-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Nate Marquardt-Rousimar Palhares rumored to be on this card also

SPX
05-04-2010, 08:56 PM
That's an interesting matchup.

Gotta go with Nate due to well-roundedness, but he could get outwrestled again.

The line on this one will be interesting.

Luke
05-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Gotta go with Nate due to well-roundedness

Yeah he has great ability at stopping takedowns lol

SPX
05-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Yeah he has great ability at stopping takedowns lol

I'm glad you read my entire post.

MMA_scientist
05-04-2010, 10:06 PM
For the record, I will take Randy up to -1500.

Luke
05-04-2010, 10:11 PM
For the record, I will take Randy up to -1500.

LOL that Mercer-Sylvia fight is enough not to make me do that.I would lay -1500 ever .I think I took -600 in a fight once that was the highest odds I ever took

If the line is decent I'll be on Couture if its crazy I'll watch with my popcorn like any other freakshow

edman5555
05-04-2010, 11:16 PM
I was thinking Toney might be a good U-dog bet considering how astronical the odds will probably be but then I considered one thing. Even if Toney drops Randy with a punch right after the opening bell(his only opportunity) he has to follow randy to the ground to finish him.....thats where he can easily be reversed and then dominated. So his punchers chance isn't even worhh much.

SPX
05-04-2010, 11:22 PM
^^^^ Well that punch could just knock Couture the fuck out.

zY|
05-04-2010, 11:27 PM

Maybe. But from what I understand (which about boxing isn't much) is that Toney isn't really that kind of boxer.

Luke
05-04-2010, 11:45 PM

Maybe. But from what I understand (which about boxing isn't much) is that Toney isn't really that kind of boxer.

He isnt .He's just like Mayweather ,a highly skilled defensive fighter with not alot of power

Toney is the bigger version of Mayweather

Luke
05-04-2010, 11:47 PM
I was thinking Toney might be a good U-dog bet considering how astronical the odds will probably be but then I considered one thing. Even if Toney drops Randy with a punch right after the opening bell(his only opportunity) he has to follow randy to the ground to finish him.....thats where he can easily be reversed and then dominated. So his punchers chance isn't even worhh much.

What do you consider astronical odds wise?

zY|
05-05-2010, 05:53 PM
And here we go.

http://www.bestfightodds.com/events/278.png

Maynard the favorite? Really?

SPX
05-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Fucking Christ!!!!!!

I'm at work and can't bet from here.

STAY THERE, KENFLO! DON'T GO ANYWHERE!

Also . . . interesting line on Penn/Edgar. That's a tough row to hoe for Edgar. He fights BJ Penn and his reward for winning . . . is to fight BJ Penn.

SPX
05-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Just grabbed Kenflo for 1.5u at -125. Great deal, in my opinion.

Luke
05-05-2010, 08:53 PM
And here we go.

Maynard the favorite? Really?

Exactly what I expected Penn to be .Couture's about 100 higher than I thought

SPX
05-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Exactly what I expected Penn to be .Couture's about 100 higher than I thought

The best thing Penn could do for bettors is lose this fight, because if he does, then we'll no doubt get at least a couple of really good lines out of him after that.

edman5555
05-05-2010, 09:16 PM
To answer your question Luke..

+500?? It's at +350 or so now. Not really good enough for me. I don't agree that Toney lacks the power to knock Couture out with one shot. Toney is a very skilled Prof boxer with many KO's to his credit. On top of that he knows he has to land that one super power shot real fast...or else he is going to get taken down(thats only a matter of time). With the boxing skill level disparity between the two thats not outlandish. Randy's chin isnt the best either...but still Randy is the clear favorite.

Ludo
05-05-2010, 09:38 PM
He's not a power boxer though, he's a Mayweather type boxer. He likes to outpoint and outpace his opponent for a while and when the time is right land punches in bunches.

Luke
05-05-2010, 09:42 PM
To answer your question Luke..

+500?? It's at +350 or so now. Not really good enough for me. I don't agree that Toney lacks the power to knock Couture out with one shot. Toney is a very skilled Prof boxer with many KO's to his credit. On top of that he knows he has to land that one super power shot real fast...or else he is going to get taken down(thats only a matter of time). With the boxing skill level disparity between the two thats not outlandish. Randy's chin isnt the best either...but still Randy is the clear favorite.

Would have took more than +500 for me to take Toney.I thought Couture would be -400 but some people acted like the line was going to be -1000 or higher .At +700-+800 I would have took Toney.

But your wrong about Toney .I have watched him fight for 15 years .At 160-175 he had a ton of power but he hasnt been that weight for almost 10 years. At 205 for this fight he doesnt have much power .He's had 2 KO's in boxing in his past 12 fights at this weight .Toney is a natural 160 pound fighter just like BJ Penn.Toney is just lazy and didnt like training to get down to 160. Imagine how much power BJ Penn would have in the 205 class,exact same situation with Toney.. ::handshake::

I hope your not basing you thoughts off Ray Mercer because Mercer was a natural HW and was one of the biggest punches of his time at HW

Mr. IWS
05-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Loving that BJ line, wish I could get down on that now.

Loving Florini as well.

If Handy comes down a little more, Ill get on him too.

Will be an awesome card to bet IMO.

SPX
05-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Loving that BJ line, wish I could get down on that now.

Loving Florini as well.

I'm surprised there's not more discussion going on around here about both of these.

Personally, I will probably stay away from the Penn/Edgar fight unless something happens with the line or unless I put Penn in a parlay. I just think that Edgar has a style which confuses opponents with the way he's constantly in motion and never stands still long enough to get hit cleanly. He could come out and do the exact same thing in this fight as he did in the last one, so either Penn comes down, or Edgar's line goes up, or I'm not betting.

I have already dropped 1.5u on Florian and I'm surprised that line hasn't moved more than it has. I was at work yesterday when Florian opened at even and I just KNEW that by the time I got home he'd be like -190. Luckily, he wasn't. Maynard hasn't looked awesome in his last few fights and Florian's takedown defense has looked much improved as of late. I expect Florian to take his soul, Shang Tsung style.

Mr. IWS
05-06-2010, 02:00 PM
I just think that Edgar has a style which confuses opponents with the way he's constantly in motion and never stands still long enough to get hit cleanly.

I think this time, BJ just gets a hold of him and taps him. Your right, that Hummingbird style is tuff.

Ludo
05-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Without a doubt BJ will come out looking for a takedown early. That drift in and drift out style was something BJ made famous, Edgar just takes it to a whole other level with the way he wades WAY out and then comes back in. His agility is definitely the enemy for anyone he fights, unless they can grab him and get him to the ground. If BJ ends up on top there's no way Edgar wins.

SPX
05-06-2010, 02:32 PM
I'd say I agree with you, but with Edgar's wrestling, I wouldn't be surprised if the grappling elements actually cancel each other out.

I know GSP was bigger, plus he's GSP, but we've seen that Penn CAN be outwrestled.

zY|
05-06-2010, 03:17 PM
I'd say I agree with you, but with Edgar's wrestling, I wouldn't be surprised if the grappling elements actually cancel each other out.

I know GSP was bigger, plus he's GSP, but we've seen that Penn CAN be outwrestled.

I think your point is good in that BJ may have problems securing the takedown. But once he's on top, unless Frankie is able to scramble up immediately, he's going to have big problems. BJ Penn has the best guard passing and mount/back control in all of MMA. If Penn ever got on top of even GSP it wouldn't be good.

I think it's a really compelling matchup (much like the Shogun/Machida rematch Saturday), in that one guy utilized an effective strategy, so now we have to see whether the other guy can make adjustments.

SPX
05-06-2010, 03:54 PM
I think your point is good in that BJ may have problems securing the takedown. But once he's on top, unless Frankie is able to scramble up immediately, he's going to have big problems. BJ Penn has the best guard passing and mount/back control in all of MMA. If Penn ever got on top of even GSP it wouldn't be good.

Yeah, if Penn can get a good solid takedown that Edgar can't get out of, then Edgar's in trouble. And I do think Penn should be a clear favorite to win this fight. But even at a line of -325 I can't get on Penn for this one. Honestly, I would probably need -250 or better, because I am not OVERLY confident that Penn will dominate this one. It's just like I said before, aside from the hiccup with the Maynard fight, Edgar keeps on surprising and it's hard to bet against that.

I think it's a really compelling matchup (much like the Shogun/Machida rematch Saturday), in that one guy utilized an effective strategy, so now we have to see whether the other guy can make adjustments.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to this one.

MMA_scientist
05-06-2010, 04:09 PM
If Penn even gets into a scramble that lasts more than a couple seconds, he will probably submit Edgar. But I doubt BJ can take Edgar down. I expect BJ's game plan to just be to hit him harder this time.

Svino
05-07-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm glad to see you guys saying this about the Edgar / Penn grappling situation - I was thinking the same thing. After the first fight, everyone was complaining that Penn "made a bad decision" in not taking Edgar down late in the fight, as if he could have done it easily if he wanted to. Of course, Penn would have a huge bjj advantage on the ground, but his takedowns have never been great and he might have to work pretty hard to get a takedown - work that would translate into eating quite a few more punches that could sway the judges against him in a close round.

poopoo333
05-07-2010, 10:43 AM
I see a great amount of value on Randy @-460 right now. I just don't want to tie money up for over 3 months.

MMA_scientist
05-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm glad to see you guys saying this about the Edgar / Penn grappling situation - I was thinking the same thing. After the first fight, everyone was complaining that Penn "made a bad decision" in not taking Edgar down late in the fight, as if he could have done it easily if he wanted to. Of course, Penn would have a huge bjj advantage on the ground, but his takedowns have never been great and he might have to work pretty hard to get a takedown - work that would translate into eating quite a few more punches that could sway the judges against him in a close round.

I was upset at BJ's decision to try to stand up after Edgar willingly took him down a couple of times. BJ has a great guard and great armdrags to the back from guard. You are a world champion grappler and you don't confidence you can sweep or submit a purple belt from guard? If Edgar was crazy enough to willingly go there, I don't understand why BJ was like "no, I think I would rather standup again where I am close to even with you."

Ludo
05-07-2010, 02:19 PM
I think it was more a matter of control for BJ. He hadn't decided it was time to go to the ground, and thus he wanted to negate the takedowns by popping back up within 5-7 seconds so the judges wouldn't award Edgar a round based on a takedown.

Luke
05-07-2010, 05:14 PM
no opinion on Maynard-Kenflo at the moment need to watch alot of tape on these two

Ipickdeeznuts2win
05-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I love the odds but you know the saying.....first time shame on you second time shame on me

I'll take Kenflo over Maynard or Frankie

Luke
05-11-2010, 12:53 AM
From SI.com Josh Gross

Heard conflicting things today re: weight for Couture-Toney. There's talk of a catchweight at 220, but I'm also told it will be heavyweight

Luke
05-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Marcus Davis vs. Nate Diaz added

SPX
05-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Interesting. If either guy's a significant dog then I'd probably take him.

Davis, for all his faults, is a solid fighter at the end of the day. And Diaz looked good against Markham. In fact, I think he should just stay at WW.

Ludo
05-12-2010, 10:07 PM
From SI.com Josh Gross

Heard conflicting things today re: weight for Couture-Toney. There's talk of a catchweight at 220, but I'm also told it will be heavyweight

Ya... Cause 220 IS Heavyweight technically.

poopoo333
05-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Where do you guys think BJ holds value?

SPX
05-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Where do you guys think BJ holds value?

I'm feeling pretty conservative on this one so I wouldn't take him until -200. But the truth is that he could very well hold value right now. Or the truth could be that Edgar will come out and once again be one step ahead, and in that case BJ never holds value.

It's hard to say, I think.

MMA_scientist
05-12-2010, 10:30 PM
I am with SPX, I am not going to bet on BJ as a big favorite against a guy that just beat him 2 months ago. In all reality, Edgar should be the favorite. He has fewer losses, and was never hurt in the last fight. And he showed he could take BJ down.

That said, BJ is gonna win.

Svino
05-13-2010, 12:40 AM
If I knew that the Penn / Edgar fight would be a replay of the last one, I'd probably take Penn out to about -230, since I think he takes that decision 70% of the time.

SPX
05-13-2010, 12:45 AM
If I knew that the Penn / Edgar fight would be a replay of the last one, I'd probably take Penn out to about -230, since I think he takes that decision 70% of the time.

Hmm. . .

That's some crazy mathematical voodoo right there.

Svino
05-13-2010, 12:58 AM

Hmm. . .

That's some crazy mathematical voodoo right there.

Well if I'd said I'd take it out to -233.3333333, someone would have accused me of being over-specific.

Let me also add that I also think that (compared to the last one) the fight is more likely to swing in favor of Penn. The structure of the first fight was perfect for Edgar - the less close grappling or punishing contact, the better for the hummingbird. Obviously, Edgar had something to do with that, but I'm feeling like any change at all has to go against him. If more of the fight happens on the ground or in a clinch, it should favor Penn. Long story short - I think the odds are decent and I doubt I'll bet on the fight.

MMA_scientist
05-13-2010, 09:45 AM
It is possible that Edgar can use a little bit more top control if BJ decides to work from his back this time. There is a good chance he gets submited, but BJ doesn't really submit guys from guard. So he could do a little GSP/Penn 1 action and take a decision that way too.

poopoo333
05-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Florian or Maynard?

SPX
05-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Florian.

Ludo
05-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Edgar isn't big enough to replicate the GSP method on Penn. Penn also doesn't like to use the guard for submissions so much as for sweeps.

Thewiseman
05-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Florian 1.35u to win 1u.
Florian has a big advantage on the outside, but I doubt Maynard will fight Florian like he did Diaz. Maynard will try to use his wrestling to smother Florian, but I think Florian will be ok, use his jitz and elbows (see the Lauzon fight) to defend on the ground. I will admit I didnt research this fight at all, and after I do I may make a larger play or even switch my pick, but i doubt it. While I think this will be close and wouldnt be suprised to see Maynard take a decision, I feel there is Value in Florian.

Couture 10u to win 2u
This is obvious, Toney has a few seconds to land one on Randy before he gets smothered and either TKO'd or choked out.

I will take the prop Edgar by decision again if the odds are decent for a small play. I do believe there is value in Edgar, but I do think Penn will take this one.

Ludo
05-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Florian was able to stuff Guida's takedowns, I think He'll be alright at least long enough to win a round or two even though Gray's wrestling is better than Guida's. It's going to be hard to avoid Kenny's elbows all night long though for Gray, especially since his face cuts super easy. I would be very careful if I were maynard, Florian has a knack for opening dudes up.

zY|
05-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Just going by the recent rematches of previous 5 round close decisions, Penn/Edgar2 probably ends abruptly in the 1st.

Luke
05-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Just going by the recent rematches of previous 5 round close decisions, Penn/Edgar2 probably ends abruptly in the 1st.

You mean like Machida- Shogun?

zY|
05-14-2010, 06:05 PM

You mean like Machida- Shogun?

And Henderson/Cerrone.

Luke
05-14-2010, 06:06 PM
^^^forgot about that one ^^^^

Mr. IWS
05-18-2010, 01:38 PM
EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Polarizing welterweight slugger Phil Baroni (13-12 MMA, 3-6 UFC) looks for his first UFC win since 2002 when he returns to action at UFC 118.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com)) has learned from sources close to the promotion that Baroni has verbally agreed to fight on the card, though an opponent has yet to be determined.

Featuring a lightweight title rematch between new champ Frankie Edgar and the recently dethroned B.J. Penn, UFC 118 is expected to take place on Aug. 28 at Boston's TD Garden.

Baroni debuted for the UFC in February 2001. Despite sporting just a 1-0 record in mixed martial arts at the time, the "New York Bad Ass" earned a decision win over Curtis Stout at UFC 30.

After additional wins over Dave Menne and Amar Suloev, Baroni dropped four-straight contests to Pete Sell, Evan Tanner (twice) and Matt Lindland and was released by the UFC in 2005.

Baroni then spent the next four years garnering mixed results while fighting for PRIDE, Strikeforce, EliteXC and a handful of regional promotions while trying to make his way back to the UFC. Despite suffering a loss to Joe Riggs in June 2009, the UFC did come calling, and Baroni signed back on with the promotion in time for a November 2009 matchup with Amir Sadollah at UFC 106.

Prior to the fight, Baroni admitted to MMAjunkie.com that being back on the big stage was a big opportunity, but he was doing his best to treat the fight like any other.

"I've got to try and block that out and say, 'Hey, it's just a fight,'" Baroni said. "Once you get in there, it's a cage. I've been in cages and rings all around the world."

Despite his mental approach and training with American Kickboxing Academy, Baroni lost a one-sided decision to Amir Sadollah.

Baroni likely needs a win to keep his spot in the organization.

For more on UFC 118 event, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

Luke
05-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Phil Baroni vs. John Salter ::handshake::

SPX
05-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Phil Baroni vs. John Salter ::handshake::

Interesting. I'm surprised that they're doing that. They didn't give Frank Trigg the same consideration.

Do or Die fight for Phil.

Luke
06-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Mike Pierce -Amilcar Alves added

Luke
06-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Further proof Toney has lost it or is getting a % of the PPV sales for this event

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxDvm0A88Oc&feature=player_embedded#at=235

Luke
06-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Toney-Couture is going to be a HW fight

zY|
06-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Toney-Couture is going to be a HW fight

So Toney is fat and not taking it seriously, got it.

Luke
06-08-2010, 08:55 PM
So Toney is fat and not taking it seriously, got it.

LOL

Luke
06-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Toney hasnt been 205 in 7 years .I'm not sure Toney can even get to 205 anymore his body is very old from all the huge weight gains and weight losses over his carrer. I remember him having to lose 50 pounds in 4 weeks to make 160 in the Roy Jones fight

This is just a money maker for Toney .I'd be surprised if he didnt head right back to boxing after this fight

MMA_scientist
06-08-2010, 10:24 PM
I can't even bear to think about the shame Couture is going to bring on MMA if he loses this fight. I just can't even think about it.

Its hard, because I dislike Randy and want to see him get KOd and suffer the humiliation. But I don't know if I want it so bad that it means Toney gets a credible MMA win.

Luke
06-08-2010, 10:29 PM
I can't even bear to think about the shame Couture is going to bring on MMA if he loses this fight. I just can't even think about it.

Its hard, because I dislike Randy and want to see him get KOd and suffer the humiliation. But I don't know if I want it so bad that it means Toney gets a credible MMA win.

I dont know why people care if a boxer beats a MMA fighter

Me? i just like freak shows

poopoo333
06-08-2010, 10:31 PM

I really wish they put Pat Barry in there against Toney. One leg kick and it would be all over.

MMA_scientist
06-08-2010, 11:19 PM

i care because the sport is still young and a lot of people still don't think it is legitimate. Old guys think it is just idiots duking it out, or homos rolling around on the ground grabassing- there is no skill involved.

If an oldboxer can take out a a legit fighter, it helps prove that theory in thier minds. Even though Ray Mercer beat Sylvia, we all know that there is no way Ray Mercer could actually beat all teh fighters that Sylvia can beat. But morons don't know that.

A few big blows and MMA goes away. That would make me sad.

Toney win = MMA dies

Svino
06-08-2010, 11:45 PM
I'd guess a Toney loss means he goes 0-1 in his MMA career. A win means he goes 1-2.

poopoo333
06-08-2010, 11:49 PM
If Toney somehow wins, they will put him up against Brock....especially if Brock loses @116

Luke
06-09-2010, 12:00 AM

i care because the sport is still young and a lot of people still don't think it is legitimate. Old guys think it is just idiots duking it out, or homos rolling around on the ground grabassing- there is no skill involved.

If an oldboxer can take out a a legit fighter, it helps prove that theory in thier minds. Even though Ray Mercer beat Sylvia, we all know that there is no way Ray Mercer could actually beat all teh fighters that Sylvia can beat. But morons don't know that.

Toney win = MMA dies

Morons will always be morons no matter if Toney wins or loses.

The morons will just say Toney is way over the hill or something else stupid.

I'm the biggest boxing fan there is and I wouldnt think a bit less of MMA even if Toney won

sbjj
06-09-2010, 12:11 AM
If Toney beats Randy. I would just say an old boxer beat an old MMA fighter. Toney may be old, and he may not be elite anymore, but he is by far the best boxer to fight in MMA to my knowledge.

I also read many that say that Toney does not hit hard enough to put Randy away with ONE solid shot, and they bring up his lack of KOs as of late. I completely disagree...I believe he can hurt Randy if he only touches him. I believe this fight is a far more dangerous fight for randy than many do. that being said, Randy still has brain cells, and will more than likely take James down immediately.

MMA_scientist
06-09-2010, 08:46 AM
If Toney beats Randy. I would just say an old boxer beat an old MMA fighter. Toney may be old, and he may not be elite anymore, but he is by far the best boxer to fight in MMA to my knowledge.

I also read many that say that Toney does not hit hard enough to put Randy away with ONE solid shot, and they bring up his lack of KOs as of late. I completely disagree...I believe he can hurt Randy if he only touches him. I believe this fight is a far more dangerous fight for randy than many do. that being said, Randy still has brain cells, and will more than likely take James down immediately.

^^ I think Toney has about a 5% chance to win. Don't get me wrong, I don't actually think it is going to happen...

Just a large percentage of the mma fan base is WWE cross-over. Then the majority is just very casual fans. But ESPN guys and stuff, they still don't really recognize MMA as a sport. This dumb ass fight will probably get more ESPN coverage than any other MMA fight just because a legitimate boxer is involved. If Toney wins, it will completely ruin any chance that MMA has of being recognized by mainstream sports guys...

sbjj
06-09-2010, 11:23 AM

^^ I think Toney has about a 5% chance to win. Don't get me wrong, I don't actually think it is going to happen...

Just a large percentage of the mma fan base is WWE cross-over. Then the majority is just very casual fans. But ESPN guys and stuff, they still don't really recognize MMA as a sport. This dumb ass fight will probably get more ESPN coverage than any other MMA fight just because a legitimate boxer is involved. If Toney wins, it will completely ruin any chance that MMA has of being recognized by mainstream sports guys...

I just disagree, because even more of those crossover fans will watch his next fight if he wins, and he will get raped in the cage in front of millions of those fans. I think Dana and co. know what they are doing. They have a win win here. If Toney loses(very likely to happen) he can say MMA is superior. If Toney wins, the media jumps on like never before, and latches on to the story, only to see Toney get toasted in his next UFC fight.

Mr. IWS
06-09-2010, 11:31 AM
^^^^^^^^^^ Good point.

Luke
06-09-2010, 01:49 PM
The UFC should hire more boxers imo to try to tap into the boxing PPV buyers

SPX
06-09-2010, 03:32 PM
If Toney wins, it will completely ruin any chance that MMA has of being recognized by mainstream sports guys...

I don't want to see Toney win simply for the sake the my MMA pride, but who really gives a shit what mainstream sports guys think? I for one definitely do not. . .

Personally, I never want to see MMA go 100% mainstream. The semi-edgy image actually helps to differentiate it from straight-laced suit and tie sports, and I personally want it to always be that way.

zY|
06-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah I'm not concerned with the affairs of idiots. Anyone with even a slightly nuanced view of what's going on knows what this fight is.

Luke
06-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah I'm not concerned with the affairs of idiots. Anyone with even a slightly nuanced view of what's going on knows what this fight is.

I agree screw the idiots ,they will have be idiots anyway

the truth is a boxer beating a MMA fighter is about as likely as a MMA fighter beating a boxer in boxing
or
A baseball player beating a tennis player in tennis,or a baseball player beating a NBA player in basketball etc .

Luke
06-11-2010, 02:02 PM
UFC veteran and grappling star, Dean Lister has agreed to serve as James Toney's BJJ coach in preparation for Toney's UFC 118 fight with Randy Couture.

I wonder if this means Toney's going to win by armbar now instead of choke out lol

zY|
06-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Word on the street is Toney is dragging his feet on actually signing the bout agreement.

Luke
06-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Word on the street is Toney is dragging his feet on actually signing the bout agreement.

I seen that .He's probably holding out for more money or a bigger % of the PPV since he thinks Dana is already committed to the fight and cant back out now

AC88
06-12-2010, 07:10 PM

Toney win = MMA dies

LOL MMA will die after just that? Toney will get raped eventually. If not by Randy, then by Brock, Carwin, Nelson, Pat Barry, Gonzaga, Cro Cop, Cheick Kongo, JDS, etc. etc. Provided that they all use a smart strategy, they should easily dispatch of Toney. I gaurantee though at least two of them will implore a terrible strategy and get knocked out. I highly doubt Randy will be one of those two and even if he does lose this fight, Toney will eventually leave the UFC with more losses than wins. I think it would be hilarious and very entertaining if Toney won. That would probably spark the interest of more boxing fans and they will stay around to watch Toney get his ass handed to him after. Toney beating Couture is not a bad thing at all.

zY|
06-12-2010, 07:17 PM

Toney win = MMA dies

LOL MMA will die after just that? Toney will get raped eventually. If not by Randy, then by Brock, Carwin, Nelson, Pat Barry, Gonzaga, Cro Cop, Cheick Kongo, JDS, etc. etc. Provided that they all use a smart strategy, they should easily dispatch of Toney. I gaurantee though at least two of them will implore a terrible strategy and get knocked out. I highly doubt Randy will be one of those two and even if he does lose this fight, Toney will eventually leave the UFC with more losses than wins. I think it would be hilarious and very entertaining if Toney won. That would probably spark the interest of more boxing fans and they will stay around to watch Toney get his ass handed to him after. Toney beating Couture is not a bad thing at all.

Yeah I think he's being a little sensationalistic. Could probably get a job blogging for Bloody Elbow.

Luke
06-21-2010, 10:33 PM
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/luke1899/m1t2.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/luke1899/m1t3.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/luke1899/m1t4.jpg

zY|
06-21-2010, 10:48 PM
goddamn he's so fat

Luke
06-21-2010, 11:10 PM
goddamn he's so fat

I'd say he's about 245-255 there.But yes he's fat

Luke
06-29-2010, 11:52 PM
http://www.bestfightodds.com/fights/2685.png

http://www.bestfightodds.com/fights/2730.png

zY|
06-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Amadeus Penn takes this with ease.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c171/zygote7/amadeus-gsp.jpg

poopoo333
06-30-2010, 12:04 AM
Palhares @+220 is appealing, but he will probably lose.

SPX
06-30-2010, 12:28 AM

That's how I feel.

Went ahead and dropped .75u on Marcus Davis at +160, though. That line seems a little fucked up to me.

zY|
06-30-2010, 12:32 AM

That's how I feel.

Went ahead and dropped .75u on Marcus Davis at +160, though. That line seems a little fucked up to me.

I hate that these lines come out so early.

SPX
06-30-2010, 12:55 AM

Why is that?

zY|
06-30-2010, 01:49 AM

Why is that?

Because I hate tying money up that long, but if you don't you get shit lines.

ManBoobKilla
06-30-2010, 01:55 AM
Bet 3U on Palhares
Bet 3U on Diaz

Thewiseman
06-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Marquardt 4.5u to win 2u

MMA_scientist
06-30-2010, 10:10 PM
I will be on the Palhares gravy train again. I think I would have bet nothing but Palhares, Dos Anjos, and Hendricks I would have cleared about 15 units last year...

That +220 is a bargain. He is 50% IMO, maybe a favorite in my book.

SPX
06-30-2010, 10:13 PM
I will be on the Palhares gravy train again.

I agree that something seems wrong with that line. I'll probably drop .5u on Palhares.

As a matter of fact I think I'll go ahead and do that right now. . .

MMA_scientist
06-30-2010, 10:18 PM
I will be on the Palhares gravy train again.

I agree that something seems wrong with that line. I'll probably drop .5u on Palhares.

As a matter of fact I think I'll go ahead and do that right now. . .

Well, it already got busted up... I dropped 1u @ +185 though...

Which reminds me, do you guys think Dos Anjos will go into + territory?

SPX
06-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Well, it already got busted up... I dropped 1u @ +185 though...

I just got him for .5u @ +185.

Which reminds me, do you guys think Dos Anjos will go into + territory?

Not sure. Maybe mildly, but that line looks like it's not going to move much. I'm hesitant to go in either direction for that fight.

Luke
06-30-2010, 10:26 PM
I figured all you guys would be on Nate

Ludo
06-30-2010, 10:46 PM
I don't think Palhares is 50% or even close here. His only weapon is catching Nate in a nasty hold, which he is very unlikely to do if Nate is on top(Marquardt has a storied history as a competant grappler). Thats assuming Nate even takes this to the ground, standing I think Nate has a clear advantage and his sprawl should be good enough to keep the fight wherever he wants it to go. Even if it goes to the ground I just don't see Palhares ending up on top of Nate, in which case Marquardt will likely pound on him a bit enroute to a decision.

I'll likely be on Nate if the line improves a little.

MMA_scientist
06-30-2010, 11:01 PM
^^ I think Palhares will be able to get a takedown. He took Henderson down. But Palhares can grapple on his back as well. I agree that he will have a hard time catching Nate in a sub, but Palhares is a few levels above Nate as a grappler. Palhares was the Brazilian trials ADCC champion... which is pretty much the equivalent of being a world champion, since all but about 5 champions have been the brazilian trials winners (he did not compete in the finals d/t visa issues). BUt even more impressively, he submitted Romulo Barral. If you don't know who that is- he is a bad ass in bjj, a 2x Mundials Champion. I would put Palhares on about the same level as Maia... not the very top, but the next eschelon down. He has an advantage over Nate on the ground, IMO. Nate will need to win it on his feet.

Also, his striking is not bad. He has some good leg kicks. I think it comes down to whether Palhares can drag it down consitently... which I think there is about a 50% that he can.

zY|
06-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Paul Harris is a goddamn silverback. Don't be surprised if he picks Marquardt up over his head and throws him right out of the cage.

Ludo
06-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Henderson has always had poor takedown defense due mostly to the fact that he gets over aggressive and leaves himself off balance from winging his right hand out there like it's his only tool to finish or something. Taking Marquardt down is a whole other game entirely. He doesn't leave himself out there as much, he is much quicker on his feet. I'm not doubting Palhares' grappling credentials, I would like him against almost anyone else in the division. But Marquardt is no slouch, and I like to think he's at least good enough to stay out of too much trouble, if nothing else Nate is a smart fighter. He knows where his opponent's bread and butter is and he usually does a good job of keeping the fight where it's better for himself.

The only two fighters who have been able to take him out of his game lately have been Anderson Silva(no surprise), and Chael Sonnen(who hasn't been taken down by this cat though?).

Svino
06-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Palhares has been good to me before. I have 1U on him right now; might put more if the line improves, which it probably won't.

I admit that I am concerned that Marquardt's closest equivalent opponent is Maia, and we know how that went. I do think Palhares would be significantly outclassed on the feet.

However, I have never thought Marquardt had great takedown defense. I know it sounds harsh to blame him for being put on his back by a guy as good as Sonnen, but he really looked bad in that fight. Even after it was clear he knew exactly what was coming, he just kept stepping right into the takedowns. I think he handled it about as badly as he possibly could have. In comparison, Hendo's takedown defense is bad *for an accomplished wrestler*, but it's still decent. (I agree though, the weaknesses come after he gets agressive with strikes.)

MMA_scientist
07-01-2010, 12:15 AM
palhares is not afraid to pull guard. He pulled guard on Hendo twice. He was on bottom when he whipped out his heel hook on Linahres.

He also took Hendo down more than once... including a pretty nice double leg slam.

Read the PBP on the Hendo fight: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-88-Live-Play-by-Play-14295

I really think he will get the takedown at least a few times, assuming he donesn't get Kd in the first 20 seconds. FTR, I would take Maia in the rematch.

Thewiseman
07-01-2010, 12:16 AM
This is Marquardts fight to lose. He will own him on the feet, and Palhares is not Sonnen, I doubt he gets the takedown. And I believe Palhares only took Hendo down in the 3rd rd, the Whole fight he was getting stuffed and Hendo was dominating the striking.

Thewiseman
07-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Well, he got a couple more takedowns than I remember. Palhares is a beast, but Nate is too much for him.

Luke
07-02-2010, 11:13 PM
James Toney holding a Randy Couture doll in a dress.He says "You shoot in and...hug on people. That's what MMA fighters do,"

Toney has issues

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/luke1899/photo20_crop_340x234.jpg

MMA_scientist
07-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Will Toney tap out or go to sleep?

Randy should start the real men don't tap talk now so we can all laugh when Toney takes a nap on ESPN

MMA_scientist
07-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Randy was on Inside MMA tonight... he said he will throw probably 1 punch before he takes him down, 3 at the max.

Ludo
07-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Couture is the man. I don't care what happens, he will always be a pioneer of the sport in terms of sheer career longevity and age.

SPX
07-02-2010, 11:28 PM
I think that REGARDLESS of who wins, it ends in the first.

zY|
07-02-2010, 11:34 PM
I think that REGARDLESS of who wins, it ends in the first.

Yeah it probably ends in the first minute. Either Randy gets knocked out coming in (extremely unlikely imo) or Randy throws him on the floor and terrorizes him, steps on his face and smushes him.

Ludo
07-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Toney is going to get beat like an Italian housewife that talks too much.

Luke
07-03-2010, 12:41 AM
you guys are funny

poopoo333
07-03-2010, 01:16 AM
http://yfrog.com/f1mj9bj

BJ Penn is training with Robson Moura.

Moura was the ref of one of my BJJ tournaments, and he put the tournament on as well.

Mr. IWS
07-03-2010, 07:38 AM

Moura was the ref of one of my BJJ tournaments, and he put the tournament on as well.

Maybe he will actually use his JJ this time?

Luke
07-23-2010, 04:30 PM

fights added

Mr. IWS
07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
400 UNITS ON THE BEST EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

MMA_scientist
07-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Salter a dog to Baroni? Wrong. So wrong.

Luke
07-23-2010, 04:39 PM

that was my first reaction too lol

MMA_scientist
07-23-2010, 04:40 PM

Robson is fn' awesome. I have his Fusion DVD's... he does some really innovative stuff. He is one the best minds in BBJ IMO. That is a good sign for BJ. It means he is planning on working off his back, because that is where Robson specializes. He is really good with the sweeps and a pioneer in the "93 guard" position, which I think is a great guard for mma use.

SPX
07-23-2010, 04:46 PM

I thought that, too. If that line holds until I get home then I will be dropping a full unit on Salter.

AC88
07-23-2010, 05:52 PM
LOL at the Salter/Baroni line.

Svino
07-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah, interesting line on Salter / Baroni. I looked up Salter and saw something amusing: he has a recent win over Roberto Traven. That guy's still fighting? On a whim I decided to check a couple more guys and found that Allan Goes is also still fighting and has a match (with Jason Lambert) coming up in August.

Crazy old-school BJJ dudes still chugging along.

SPX
07-23-2010, 09:14 PM
1u to win 1.4u on Salter.

MMA_scientist
07-23-2010, 09:21 PM
^^ If nothing else, I think you will get an arb opp out of it.

SPX
07-23-2010, 09:28 PM
^^ If nothing else, I think you will get an arb opp out of it.

Like we've talked about before, arbs aren't worth it at my stakes. I'll see this one through to the end.

SPX
07-23-2010, 09:30 PM
What's everyone think of Etim at +140 against Lauzon?

J-Lo really looked like he had lost a step in his last fight. Will the trend persist?

Ludo
07-23-2010, 10:05 PM
I don't know if Etim can put him away. Lauzon is a wierd bet at this stage especially since we don't know if anything new has happened with him abandoning his brother like he did. Mentally he may not be quite right and for that reason I'm staying away from the fight.

Thewiseman
07-23-2010, 11:05 PM

J-Lo really looked like he had lost a step in his last fight. Will the trend persist?
Lauzon was coming off a lay off when he fought Stout. Etim is easier to take down. Lauzon should win, but not sure if I will bet it.

poopoo333
07-23-2010, 11:34 PM

Robson is fn' awesome. I have his Fusion DVD's... he does some really innovative stuff. He is one the best minds in BBJ IMO. That is a good sign for BJ. It means he is planning on working off his back, because that is where Robson specializes. He is really good with the sweeps and a pioneer in the "93 guard" position, which I think is a great guard for mma use.

Yeah, he is a cool guy. I am planning to start training BJJ again as soon as I can get my work schedule to not conflict with the gym schedule anymore, and Moura seems to have lots of seminars in the Tampa area that I would like to attend.

SPX
07-26-2010, 01:48 PM
I see Harris is stepping in to fight Sakara at UFC 118. That's a good fight. I'd love to get Harris as a dog.

poopoo333
07-26-2010, 01:56 PM
I see Harris is stepping in to fight Sakara at UFC 118. That's a good fight. I'd love to get Harris as a dog.

Try -325.

Luke
07-26-2010, 01:59 PM

a dog?

lol Harris is -325 SPX

SPX
07-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Goddamn it! I didn't realize the line was out already.

Sakara's getting no respect, which is strange, because he's kind of on a roll and is a much bigger name than Harris.

I expect that line to shift.

MMA_scientist
07-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Lauzon was coming off a lay off when he fought Stout. Etim is easier to take down. Lauzon should win, but not sure if I will bet it.
Stout was a tough matchup for him, just because of his sprawl and good hands. Etim has better striking that J-Lau, but he won't be able to stuff his takedowns. J-Lau should be a step ahead of him on the mat. I think the Etim hype train officially ends here. I will be on Lauzon at -150 or better.

Edit- i somehow missed that this line was already out... it is at -145. So true to my word, 3u on Lauzon @ -145

SPX
07-26-2010, 03:32 PM
I think the Etim hype train officially ends here.

Didn't it end when he got armbarred by Dos Anjos?

SPX
07-26-2010, 03:33 PM
I see the Salter line has shifted significantly. . .

MMA_scientist
07-26-2010, 04:07 PM
^^ I think we all knew that would happen. He is @ -115 now... so if you weren't so poor you would have an arb opp.

SPX
07-26-2010, 04:15 PM
^^ I think we all knew that would happen. He is @ -115 now... so if you weren't so poor you would have an arb opp.

Thanks for calling attention to my poverty.

MMA_scientist
07-26-2010, 04:30 PM
^^ Do you have a day job or just freelance?

SPX
07-26-2010, 04:32 PM
^^ Do you have a day job or just freelance?

I work part-time (3 days a week) for a company called Unisys. We do tech support for different companies. So I sit in a cube all day and deal with people's problems. It sucks.

MMA_scientist
07-26-2010, 04:56 PM
^ that does suck. Why don't you work more hours or get a better job? You have a degree in journalism right?

SPX
07-26-2010, 05:36 PM
^ that does suck. Why don't you work more hours or get a better job? You have a degree in journalism right?

I'm WORKING on my degree in journalism. I'll have an associates in a year, and then two more after that I should have a bachelors. And that's exactly why I am only working part-time, so that I can go to school. Also, now that I'm writing for UMMA, I need those days to do interviews and conduct all that business.

Personally, I wish I could just write for a living. But that's hard to do. I would need to be writing regularly not just for UMMA, but probably another 5 mags as well.

MMA_scientist
07-26-2010, 05:59 PM
^ I see. I thought you already had a BA. Are you getting and school credit for these articles?

MMA_scientist
07-26-2010, 10:11 PM
I am going to be in Vegas August 27-30. The fight is in Boston, but I will be rolling hard at Lagasse's Stadium.

poopoo333
07-26-2010, 10:38 PM
I am going to be in Vegas August 27-30. The fight is in Boston, but I will be rolling hard at Lagasse's Stadium.

All in on Couture? :)

Luke
07-26-2010, 10:57 PM

1. you dont talk about the secret MMA sportsbook

2. Its going to cost you 100 per head to watch the UFC event there (no joke)

3. have fun

Ludo
07-27-2010, 01:24 AM
And don't forget the first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club.

MMA_scientist
07-27-2010, 09:15 AM
2. Its going to cost you 100 per head to watch the UFC event there (no joke)

Seriously? gay. Where is a good place to watch the fight? I will probably just pay the hundo because I have been wanting to go there.

Luke
07-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Seriously? gay. Where is a good place to watch the fight? I will probably just pay the hundo because I have been wanting to go there.

I'm not sure where else will be showing it ,you'll have to wait until you get down there and see. I just know they were charging 100 bucks a head for UFC 114 .It could change by events

Where you staying at?

MMA_scientist
07-27-2010, 01:11 PM
^^ not sure yet, probably on the strip though. We are just going friday afternoon to sunday morning... Its a bachelor party. I told them we don't need a room, 48 hour bender. But no one else in the group shares my gambling affinity. I could sit and play poker for 48 hours no problem.

Luke
07-27-2010, 01:41 PM
^^ not sure yet, probably on the strip though. We are just going friday afternoon to sunday morning... Its a bachelor party. I told them we don't need a room, 48 hour bender. But no one else in the group shares my gambling affinity. I could sit and play poker for 48 hours no problem.

If I had a choice where to stay it would be :

Venetian
Bellagio
WYNN
Palazzo
Mirage
Paris

In that order. They also just opened Aria .Its suppose to be high class also but I only went in there once .All of the above are in the center of the strip.

Jesus EDIT: how did I forget the WYNN?

sbjj
07-27-2010, 02:02 PM
MMA, just ask around when you get down there. There will be other places showing it. And they may(or not) have a cover. the times I have been down there, there was always a few places showing it. Monte Carlo did a couple of times(the place was insanely packed). And there was a casino off the strip one time that was showing it in a convention room I think...if I remember right it was 20 bucks a head.

Venetian/Pallazo will be the only book that will have ALL lines available to bet. Including the prelims. BUT! The Venetian shuts there lines down earlier than most of the other books...making it difficult to roll bets over.

sbjj
07-27-2010, 02:04 PM

If I had a choice where to stay it would be :

Venetian
Bellagio
Palazzo
Mirage
Paris

In that order. They also just opened Aria .Its suppose to be high class also but I only went in there once .All of the above are in the center of the strip.

Dude, you forgot Ceasars!

Luke
07-27-2010, 02:12 PM
^^^^ Ceasars is old .I didnt forget them I left them off on purpose

Luke
07-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Phil Baroni is out of UFC 118 with an injury

sbjj
07-27-2010, 02:19 PM
^^^^ Ceasars is old .I didnt forget them I left them off on purpose

Ceasars is the only hotel/casino that has never stopped either upgrading or expanding itself. The rooms are very nice, the casino is better than the Venetion or Bellagio. the food outlets are second to none. They have a huge sportsbook, with lines for just about everything. There pool is sweet.

There is a reason Ceasars room rates are as high as they are, and there is a reason that Harrahs will comp ceasars rooms last.

sbjj
07-27-2010, 02:38 PM
^^^ I dont care for Ceasars. I like the ones I listed .Its my opinion, calm down

Easy tiger, I was not getting upset. Was just trying to point out to others that if they are in Vegas, Cearsear is a good spot. Would hate for those on this site who do not get to Vegas much to think that the palace is some old run down Hotel.

i guess all they would really have to do is check on the web. from now on, I will not bother to give any info. about Vegas, unless specifically asked...it seems to be a touchy subject around here. I just hope if I keep some of my Vegas info. private that I do not find myself banned...Nah, this site would not do that to me. ::lmao::

Luke
07-27-2010, 02:42 PM

Phil Baroni's road back to UFC stardom hit a major road block Tuesday, as "The New York Bad Ass" has been forced to pull out his UFC 118 fight against John Salter due to a collar bone injury, Baroni's agent Ken Pavia confirmed with MMA Fighting.

When contacted by MMA Fighting, Baroni refused to comment on the injury, but he did tweet:
"I cant take it anymore. Im freaking out. anxiety im shot. beaten."
Baroni (13-12) dropped his return to the UFC last November when he lost via unanimous decision to Amir Sadollah at UFC 106. Since then, he decided to sharpen his skills in Thailand for an extended period of time and move back up to middleweight.

Conventional wisdom heading into this fight was that a Baroni loss could spell the end of this UFC run, but when Baroni was on The MMA Hour last month, he said that he was taking a different approach.

"It was a do-or-die [my last fight]," Baroni said. "This fight I'm not going to look at it that way. I'm going to go there and enjoy it and not put the pressure on myself."

No word just yet on Salter's replacement.

Luke
07-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Easy tiger, I was not getting upset. Was just trying to point out to others that if they are in Vegas, Cearsear is a good spot. Would hate for those on this site who do not get to Vegas much to think that the palace is some old run down Hotel.

i guess all they would really have to do is check on the web. from now on, I will not bother to give any info. about Vegas, unless specifically asked...it seems to be a touchy subject around here. I just hope if I keep some of my Vegas info. private that I do not find myself banned...Nah, this site would not do that to me. ::lmao::

Give all the opinions on Vegas you want . I find nothing wrong with you saying Ceasars is a great place, its just not one of my personal favorites ::handshake::

SPX
07-27-2010, 04:52 PM

FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

I was looking forward to getting PAID!

Luke
07-27-2010, 05:00 PM
FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

I was looking forward to getting PAID!

so was your mom

SPX
07-27-2010, 05:03 PM
so was your mom

At least my mom charges for her shit. Yours just gives it away to everyone for free.

Luke
07-27-2010, 05:06 PM
At least my mom charges for her shit. Yours just gives it away to everyone for free.

LOL ::lmao::

SPX
07-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Talked to Gerald Harris earlier today. He said he's going to beat Sakara. So I guess that settles it then.

Luke
07-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Talked to Gerald Harris earlier today. He said he's going to beat Sakara. So I guess that settles it then.

sure....

Luke
07-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Dan Miller will replace Phil Baroni at UFC 118 against John Salter

SPX
07-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Interesting. Well Dan Miller either buys himself some breathing room or gets his walking papers.

Salter for all intents and purposes probably is also at risk of being cut. He lost to Harris and got a fluke win/NC against Macdonald.

MMA_scientist
07-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Easy win for Miller IMO.

Luke
07-30-2010, 12:14 AM
James Toney

"The person I wanted to fight right off the bat was Brock Lesnar," Toney said in a live chat with MMAFighting.com. "He's a champion, I'm a champion and I wanted to do it. But they said I couldn't do that. Then they said, 'How about Kimbo?' But I said, 'That's too easy. That's like kicking a little kid's butt.' But then Randy started saying he wanted to fight me, so I said, 'OK, you're the first one getting it.'"

SPX
07-30-2010, 10:02 AM
^^^ Ha ha, yeah, okay.

I wouldn't have minded seeing him versus Kimbo. If Kimbo was smart and immediately worked the ground game then he could win, and that would be a lot more humiliating for Toney than losing to Couture.

Luke
08-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda on tap for UFC 118

http://bit.ly/cJlU13

guess this is where Maia is going

MMA_scientist
08-03-2010, 05:03 PM
^^ boo. Maia has nothing to gain from that matchup. Miranda is a good grappler in his own right though, should be a good ground fight, which Maia will win.

Mario is a pretty good wrestler though, Maia will probably have to beat him standing as well or guard pull him.

What are Miranda's hands like?

SPX
08-03-2010, 05:55 PM

They're black.

Mr. IWS
08-03-2010, 05:58 PM

They're black.

I literally busted out laughing at this.

Luke
08-03-2010, 06:01 PM

They're black.

::lmao::

zY|
08-03-2010, 06:25 PM

They're black.

The lulz. This brings them.

poopoo333
08-05-2010, 10:58 PM
According to mmafighting.com:
The spot opened up for [Gabe] Ruediger after Terry Etim was forced to pull out of the fight for undisclosed reasons. Ruediger has agreed to step in on short notice to fight Joe Lauzon at UFC 118 on Aug. 28th.

Lauzon vs. Ruediger is still expected to air on the Spike TV prelims.

Gabe "Godzilla" Ruediger (17-5)

Win Lenny Lovato - TKO (Punches) TPF 5 7/9/2010 1 3:25
Win Dominique Robinson - Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) TPF 3 2/4/2010 2 4:49
Win Wander Braga -Submission (Guillotine Choke) Called Out MMA 8/15/2009 2 0:58

Joe "J-Lau" Lauzon (18-6)

Loss Sam Stout - Decision (Unanimous) UFC 108 1/2/2010 3 5:00
Win Jeremy Stephens - Submission (Armbar) UFC FN 17 2/7/2009 2 4:43
Win Kyle Bradley - TKO (Punches) UFC FN 15 9/17/2008 2 1:34

[UPDATE] - via twitter.com/ARIELHELWANI:
Etim suffered a broken rib.

[UPDATE 2] - Alessio Sakara Out of UFC 118, Gerald Harris Likely to Face Joe Vedepo according to mmafighting.com:
A knee injury has forced surging Italian striker Alessio Sakara off the UFC 118 card, and the UFC middleweight who was scheduled to fight Gerald Harris is likely to be replaced by returning Joe Vedepo (11-3).

Luke
08-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Interesting poopoo

thanks

MMA_scientist
08-05-2010, 11:00 PM
^^ that blows. That was my big bet for this event. I was going to rake it in on that fight.

poopoo333
08-05-2010, 11:00 PM
^^ that blows. That was my big bet for this event. I was going to rake it in on that fight.

I had 2.9u on Lauzon and I was kind of regretting it.

MMA_scientist
08-05-2010, 11:01 PM
I had 3u, I was going to go to 5. Lauzon was going to take Etim down and whup on him.

SPX
08-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Interesting on Sakara/Harris.

I hope Harris fucks this new clown up.

edman5555
08-08-2010, 02:11 AM
I'm Bumping this..Everyone come up with some thoughts so we know what the fuck to do when all the lines come up. I haven't thought of anything yet. At all.

edman5555
08-08-2010, 02:22 AM
Scratch that. Randy couture R1 prop bet and Kenny Florian.

Luke
08-08-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm Bumping this..Everyone come up with some thoughts so we know what the fuck to do when all the lines come up. I haven't thought of anything yet. At all.

that makes two of us

zY|
08-08-2010, 03:26 AM
Why didn't the UFC have a translator on hand for James Toney tonight?

edman5555
08-08-2010, 09:51 AM

Ha. He does sound messed up.

poopoo333
08-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Scratch that. Randy couture R1 prop bet and Kenny Florian.

The round 1 prop bet has lots of value. I really think Florian will win, but I am scared Maynard can steal 2 rounds with his wrestling. I still haven't made my mind up if I am going to bet this fight or not.

Another fight I am interested in is Osipczak/Soto. Osipczak hung in there in the grappling with Story and lost a split decision. I think he will probably beat Soto.

SPX
08-08-2010, 11:39 AM
The round 1 prop bet has lots of value. I really think Florian will win, but I am scared Maynard can steal 2 rounds with his wrestling. I still haven't made my mind up if I am going to bet this fight or not.

I think Kenflo will take it. Gray will not outstrike him, and his takedown defense has looked quite good as of late. Guida tried more than once to get him down and didn't even come close.

I think Kenflo's the play, but I got my bet in when he was at -125.

poopoo333
08-08-2010, 11:47 AM
2.9u Florian @-145

SPX
08-08-2010, 12:32 PM
2.9u Florian @-145

Atta boy.

Luke
08-08-2010, 01:16 PM

Toney has been punch drunk/slurred speech for years now .

I have no idea why the UFC is promoting Toney as even a decent boxer .He's been completely past bum for the last 4 years.He hasnt won a meaningful fight in 5 years and he got stripped of that fight for roids.

Thats another thing the UFC has too worry about Toney coming in all roided up since he doesnt care if he ever has another fight